O.T: Help with Windows Vista please

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Theo
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

O.T: Help with Windows Vista please

Post by Theo »

I installed WV Premium yesterday and I am unable to get online now. I was able to get on using Internet Explorer at first, but after a few hours it stopped working. The interesting thing is, I am connected to the internet because I can get on using Firefox. Any ideas on why I can't use IE? Thanks very much.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

What do you get when you launch IE7? A 404 error?

If Firefox can get online and IE can't, it's almost certainly a proxy setting in IE.

More detail required to offer a diagnosis and fix.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

Theo
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Theo »

It says Windows cannot display the webpage. When I click on diagnose the problem it says a required network component is not working properly. The specific problem is an installed LSP is outdated. It gives me the option of removing it. Should I? Thanks.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

I wouldn't manually delete it; I've heard that can cause worse things to happen...

There is an XP utility for repairing the Layered Service Provider. You may want to give that a try first to see if it works with Vista.

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

LSP errors are typically caused by 1 of 2 things: Spyware; or the removal of 'legitimate' software that fouled up the layered path of data to/from the web. I presume you upgraded an XP install? You likely had an application that is not Vista compliant, but it's remnants are screwing up your LSP.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: O.T: Help with Windows Vista please

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Theo wrote:I installed WV Premium yesterday and I am unable to get online now. I was able to get on using Internet Explorer at first, but after a few hours it stopped working. The interesting thing is, I am connected to the internet because I can get on using Firefox. Any ideas on why I can't use IE? Thanks very much.
I hope you didn't "update" your OS. If you don't do a clean install...you're in for all kinds of trouble. Do it immediately if you haven't already.

Theo
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Theo »

I did upgrade initially, then I did a clean install and everything is fine. Thanks.