The Show "MLB 07" Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

The Show "MLB 07" Thread

Post by JRod »

Anyone pick this up today? Impressions.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

Some of us got it yesterday and we've posted some in the preview thread...

http://www.digitalsportspage.com/module ... &start=100

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I played a few games and quick impressions :

-First thing you notice off the bat is that the game has some kind of stutter to it when you hit the ball. I still have last years version and put it in to compare and last years version played silk smooth. This year's version has some werid stutter to it but after playing a few games, I got use to it.

-It seems like they did something with the overall graphics. Last years game look so much smoother. This year you have a lot of flicker and you can tell the pixelation a little more on the players when it's a far shot (pitcher on the mound, outfielders). No big deal but I think those with HDTV's are going to find this game a pixelated mess, more than last years version.

-Gameplay has improved. The variety of hits are awesome in this game, 100x better than last years version. Also seems like they got the bat physics right this year. The balls off the bat take different angles depending on how you swing.

Overall the game is solid. Once you can get past the stutter effect, it'll grow on you. Easy pick up and play game to play.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I've read the franchise mode is broken where teams will not trade or pick up FA - I think SCEA has confirmed this as the psp version does not have this issue.

My question with someone who has this game, is this true for "season" mode as well?

I was thinking about picking this one up as I have a ton of old ps2 games to trade in, but if it's that screwed up I guess all my baseball gaming time will go to MLB 2k7.

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

MizzouRah wrote:I've read the franchise mode is broken where teams will not trade or pick up FA - I think SCEA has confirmed this as the psp version does not have this issue.

My question with someone who has this game, is this true for "season" mode as well?

I was thinking about picking this one up as I have a ton of old ps2 games to trade in, but if it's that screwed up I guess all my baseball gaming time will go to MLB 2k7.
I thought I read that it was just in Manage Only Mode...
Might be wrong.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

MizzouRah wrote:I've read the franchise mode is broken where teams will not trade or pick up FA - I think SCEA has confirmed this as the psp version does not have this issue.

You have also read that trades and injuries in both franchise and season in 2k7 screw rosters and lineups all to hell too, right? Lots of talk on OS about it.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Sully wrote:

I thought I read that it was just in Manage Only Mode...
Might be wrong.
That's just the bug with no pinch hitting for the pitcher.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

webdanzer wrote:

You have also read that trades and injuries in both franchise and season in 2k7 screw rosters and lineups all to hell too, right? Lots of talk on OS about it.
I thought that was franchise only? Sheesh... games are becoming more and more buggy nowdays.

In the future, I bet consoles will conform to a "PC's" way of patching games... I mean it seems as if it's getting worse and worse every year. Maybe testers only get minimum wage or something.. some of this stuff should NEVER get past testing... but now it's all about release dates.

Oh well....

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

Just read about the no trade bug. None during the season, and none in the offseason. As for FA signings and releases, nothing happens during the season, but they do release and sign players in the offseason.

I guess on work around would be the CPU Roster Control feature. Take control of every team, and just make the real life transactions we see in the MLB. Sucks, but since this game is just a filler for me until the PS3 version releases, I'll be fine. Supposedly, SCEA has already said this isn't a problem in the PS3 version. Odd.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

I really think the AI handles pinch hitters appropriately, as they call for a lot of pinch hitters. I have occasionally seen a pitcher hit, and in the next inning a new pitcher comes in, but for the most part it's fine.

I usually turn trades off anyways in a season becuase the trade AI and the way they structure the team afterwards are usually awful in most games.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Yeah, but I just want to play a season and the CPU should sign FA and trade for that one year.

We'll fix it for our $600 system though. :roll:

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

MizzouRah wrote:Yeah, but I just want to play a season and the CPU should sign FA and trade for that one year.

Look at it this way, at least we'll have one next-gen baseball game with a functioning franchise mode when The Show hits the PS3...hopefully. :wink:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Sully wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:Yeah, but I just want to play a season and the CPU should sign FA and trade for that one year.

Look at it this way, at least we'll have one next-gen baseball game with a functioning franchise mode when The Show hits the PS3...hopefully. :wink:
You will. I don't see a ps3 in my distant future.

At least you can post how good it is. ;)

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Traded some old games in last night for The Show and after playing a few games, now I remember how good this game plays a game of baseball.

I love the presentation of MLB 2k7, but for playing a game of baseball, The Show does so well. Fielding is actually fun again. :)

I'll keep both games for now as I like both of them for different reasons.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I LOVE the variety of hits and number of foul balls in this game, as most are saying, much more variety than last year!

I also LOVE how the ump's strikezone changes sometimes later in the game.

Baserunning still confuses me. 8O

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

MizzouRah wrote: Baserunning still confuses me. 8O
Early on the new baserunning was confusing me but it has become pretty easy to pick up in the last few games. I'm liking the use of the left analof to choose runners. easier than the classic controls...which were good in their own right.

Oh, and this game kicks ass.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

Absolutely loving this game offline right now. I'm using Pared's sliders from OS. Just played a season game against the Braves, losing 2-0. Hamels pitched 7 innings, allowing 5 hits, 1 ER, while walking 2 and striking out 13. He threw 104 pitches. I really believe The Show nailed user walks this year. Classic pitching with some minor slider tweaks, that's all it took. If you look at his sliders, there really are no significant changes to HoF default.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Yep. Best user walks in years using classic pitching and control tweaked downward just a bit.

I do enjoy and thus miss the greater interactivity of the metered pitching method, but I sure can't argue with Classic's results. Very cool.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

LOVING this game. Assuming this is the last version on the PS2, and what a sendoff. The developers did a great job of listening to the fans' requests, and they did just about everything we asked for.

Dumb question: where do you see the pitch count for both teams' pitchers?

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

AJColossal wrote:LOVING this game. Assuming this is the last version on the PS2, and what a sendoff. The developers did a great job of listening to the fans' requests, and they did just about everything we asked for.

Dumb question: where do you see the pitch count for both teams' pitchers?
Press the select button during the game.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I like the pitching meter, even if it yields less walks.

Lost 5-4 vs the Texas Rangers in the last game, the only issue I'm seeing (on default AS) is too many hits, but I need more games in to really access the situation.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Wasn't there an issue with this game in year's past that there were too many hits, and not enough runs? That's what I remember from my experience playing '06 on the PSP.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Sully how does the game look on the PS3? I have the game on the PSP but I am itching to get the PS2 version or just wait for a long month for the PS3 version. :)

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:Sully how does the game look on the PS3? I have the game on the PSP but I am itching to get the PS2 version or just wait for a long month for the PS3 version. :)
I'm not Sully :lol: but the game looks identical to what it would look like on the PS2. I have seen very little slow down (supposedly that has been an issue with the game on the PS2). The graphics are definitely dated but what can you expect. The animations and game play more than make up for the "old" gen graphics.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Too many hits are still a problem and just about the only gameplay issue. Actually I think I prefer last year's to 07 PSP. Not only is there slowdown but the animation when the bat hits the ball seems to be hosed. I really wish they would have left well enough alone, particularly when there isn't really anything groundbreaking added.
PES 2008 makes baby Jesus cry.