The Show "MLB 07" Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

I've loved this game for a couple of years now, but I think this year's may be one of the most improved sports games ever. There are so many things to appreciate the more and more you play the game.

Anybody else make it to the World Series yet? I simmed a bunch of games and am in the middle of Game 1 with my Cards against the Blue Jays. If anyone's interested to know some of the extra commentary, etc. that they've added for the World Series, I'll be glad to update those impressions as I go through the series.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

I agree, I finally had a little time to spend with it and what an amazing game. I can't believe more people here aren't playing it.

The pitching/batting engine is the best I have ever seen. What a challenge it is to hit. I will struggle to hit .300 with most hitters this year.

Pitching is a *itch. With Randy Wolf last night, I had more balls thrown then strikes...amazing...and I was trying to throw strikes...amazing!

With contact slider at "0" I am seeing the best ball physics ever, slow rollers, choppers, texas leaguers galore. I know when I piss on one and am rewarded for it when I do unlike years prior.

What a super super baseball game. If the PS3 version has gameplay like this I will be extremely tempted.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

pigpen81 wrote:Pitching is a *itch. With Randy Wolf last night, I had more balls thrown then strikes...amazing...and I was trying to throw strikes...amazing!
LOL. I was pitching with Wolf this morning and he had thrown 77 pitches...I was in the 4th inning! Luckily, he had a quick 5th and still was able to get credit for a win. I actually had to warm up a pitcher in the 4th inning of a game that I had only given up 2 runs in! That's unheard of in console baseball and adds a ton of strategy. Some teams and hitters just wear out pitchers with foul balls and it's finally captured in a baseball game! Woo Hoo!!!

I've moved to zero contact as well and like the results. The game is absolutely tremendous. They've tweaked it to perfection and addressed some of the few complaints I had from last year. There are more user issued walks, foul balls, and offline throws. Baserunner speed is realistic. It's easier to get more user walks as a hitter because more balls are clearly out of the strike zone rather than just an inch off the plate. I lead off an inning drawing two walks on 9 pitches (and got to three balls on the next batter) and earlier in the game I almost walked the bases loaded. I also love the variable umpire personalities. It doesn't get any better!

black_dynamite
Mario Mendoza

Post by black_dynamite »

As much as I like 2K7 I am strongly tempted to trade in 2K7 for the PS3 for MLB 07 The Show once the PS3 version hits.

I'm playing the PSP version and I am really digging it. I had a tough time hitting in last year's game as I wasn't very good at hitting but I really love what they did with the guess pitch interface. It's genius and I think it's light years ahead of anything else on the market. Some may say it makes hitting easier but another thing with it as well is that in order to get good contact on the ball you have to time your swing properly. I really love this interface.

I'm not the greatest at the game as I'm playing on veteran but for the first time playing this series I am actually getting a good number of hits in the game and I'm doing a much better job in terms of plate discipline. Heck with Alex Rodriguez I was able to draw three walks on default veteran difficulty. I know some of you guys will think I should bump it up to a higher difficulty but until I get myself a lot better at the game I will stick with this difficulty (although I've won every game on this difficulty so far. I even had a 29-13 victory over Houston with the Cards).

I am absolutely loving this game this year and I hope that the PS3 really delivers.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

If the PS3 version plays like this I will be aroused :oops: Its such a good game. With better graphics, animations (not that animations are bad in this game...they are actually WAY better than 2K7's) and a fixed franchise mode 8O Can't wait to play the PS3 version on April 16th.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

black_dynamite
Mario Mendoza

Post by black_dynamite »

Diablo25 wrote:If the PS3 version plays like this I will be aroused :oops: Its such a good game. With better graphics, animations (not that animations are bad in this game...they are actually WAY better than 2K7's) and a fixed franchise mode 8O Can't wait to play the PS3 version on April 16th.
I totally agree with you man. I'm absolutely loving The Show this year more than I ever have before. It's not that I don't like 2K7 (which I do) it's just that I'm really liking the The Show more than 2K7. I really like that 2K7 has so many of the real players' mannerisms this year such as the way players walk up to the plate, their mannerisms while at bat such as walking out of the box and making adjustments to their equipment and even managing to capture their batting swings too. I really love that attention to detail in a sports game.

That being said some of the problems that plague 2K7 such as the almost unplayable franchise mode and the crap fielding in comparison to The Show just highlight many of the differences that the two games. I love that 2K7 made a massive improvement this year compared to the awful 2K6 and I understand that 2K7 is only in the first year of a three plan to improve the series but if I had to choose one right now I'm probably leaning toward The Show right now.

It's been reported that The Show for the PS3 is supposed to have twice the number of animations that the current gen version has (that is amazing considering how good the animations already are in the game). I hope those animations get extended to mannerisms that the game already has and bump it up to a level that is could surpass 2K7.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

MLB 2k7 has a TON of potential and maybe next year I can get past a few weeks with it. I've been back to playing The Show on the ps2 and that might be where I spend my console baseball gaming this year.

I figure OOTP 2007 will take most of my baseball gaming anyway.

I just see too many WTF moments in MLB 2k7, plus goofy lineups kills season and or franchise mode for me, I can get past the no signings in The Show as I'll play a "season" only.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

MizzouRah wrote:I've read season mode is more than one year, what does that entail?
I simmed through a season, and it loks to me just like any other franchise mode. I think the difference betwee franchise (on PS2) and season is setting ticket prices and such. In season mode on the PSP you still get retirements, HOF inductees, FA signings, player progression, draft, etc...
-Matt

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

matthewk wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:I've read season mode is more than one year, what does that entail?
I simmed through a season, and it loks to me just like any other franchise mode. I think the difference betwee franchise (on PS2) and season is setting ticket prices and such. In season mode on the PSP you still get retirements, HOF inductees, FA signings, player progression, draft, etc...
Really? They have the draft and then you proceed on to the next season?

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

MizzouRah wrote:
matthewk wrote:
Really? They have the rookie draft and then you proceed on to the next season?

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

Gamefly'd this one. Awesome game no doubt. Maybe it's just me, but I am not as pumped on the game this year however. Not because it's not a great game, but because it's basically the same game I have been playing the last 3 years. Does that makes sense.

That being said, I would have paid 40 bucks just for the RTTS mode. I've got the PS3 version on pre-order and may play that mode almost exclusively this year.
-BK

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

MizzouRah wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:
matthewk wrote: I simmed through a season, and it loks to me just like any other franchise mode. I think the difference betwee franchise (on PS2) and season is setting ticket prices and such. In season mode on the PSP you still get retirements, HOF inductees, FA signings, player progression, draft, etc...
Really? They have the rookie draft and then you proceed on to the next season?
I can confirm that...I simmed the rest of my World Series against the Jays and saw retirees, HOF inductees (said there were none that year), free agent signings, etc. I was looking to leave the house so I didn't go through any of the off season stuff, but it looked to me like it was going to start up another season. Btw, I'm playing in Season mode.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

bkrich83 wrote:Gamefly'd this one. Awesome game no doubt. Maybe it's just me, but I am not as pumped on the game this year however. Not because it's not a great game, but because it's basically the same game I have been playing the last 3 years. Does that makes sense.
BK, I think most people felt that way for the first few games they've played of this year's game. I'd be surprised if you still felt the same way 10-15 games in. That's when all the under the hood improvements really begin to shine.

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

GTHobbes wrote:
bkrich83 wrote:Gamefly'd this one. Awesome game no doubt. Maybe it's just me, but I am not as pumped on the game this year however. Not because it's not a great game, but because it's basically the same game I have been playing the last 3 years. Does that makes sense.
BK, I think most people felt that way for the first few games they've played of this year's game. I'd be surprised if you still felt the same way 10-15 games in. That's when all the under the hood improvements really begin to shine.
Good to know. I really only played a few "regular" games and then went to RTTS. I am very anxious to see how the PS3 version turns out.

Going to pick up the PSP version this week. Imo, last years PSP version was exactly what I had in mind when I bought the thing. Best portable sports video game I have ever played bar none.
-BK

Theo
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Theo »

After playing both games extensively, I prefer 2K7. Granted, I don't need the ultimate in realism to enjoy a game. There are things about the show I really like. The catcher calling the game, being able to see the confidence level of every pitch etc. I just prefer 2K7's commentary, presentation, pitching and in game saves. That said, I look forward to seeing The Show on the PS3.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

GTHobbes wrote:
Yeah, by then you will have time to make a few tweaks and also begin to recognize the beauty of the foul balls and user walks. I just tossed a 4 hit shutout with 3 pitchers, but I walked 5 (only 1 intentional) to make it interesting. I really love the individual confidence meters for each pitch.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

GTHobbes wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:
MizzouRah wrote: Really? They have the rookie draft and then you proceed on to the next season?
I can confirm that...I simmed the rest of my World Series against the Jays and saw retirees, HOF inductees (said there were none that year), free agent signings, etc. I was looking to leave the house so I didn't go through any of the off season stuff, but it looked to me like it was going to start up another season. Btw, I'm playing in Season mode.
Thank you. How was the draft?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

What I like about it on the PSP, is the variety of hits, and variety of fouled balls. Whether you're up in the score by 4 or five or whether the CPU is up on you by that margin, I still feel that the game is not over and that you have the chance to catch up in the score, especially if you use your strategies smartly. Ditto for the CPU. In one NL game the catcher asked for a pitch out with bases loaded, knowing that the next hitter was a pitcher for the opponent. Great stuff!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:In one NL game the catcher asked for a pitch out with bases loaded, knowing that the next hitter was a pitcher for the opponent. Great stuff!
Umm...since when is walking a run in with the pitcher on a deck a good pitching and strategy decision? I know it was just one pitch, but what's the point...you think they are going to try to steal home? That was a horrible example of good baseball if you're trying to convince someone to get the game.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
10spro wrote:In one NL game the catcher asked for a pitch out with bases loaded, knowing that the next hitter was a pitcher for the opponent. Great stuff!
Umm...since when is walking a run in with the pitcher on a deck a good pitching and strategy decision? I know it was just one pitch, but what's the point...you think they are going to try to steal home? That was a horrible example of good baseball if you're trying to convince someone to get the game.
Perhaps, I didn't explain it thoroughly and I don't think I need to persuade anyone to buy the game, especially if anyone played last year's version. The catcher's suggestion was not based on one pitch but all four pitches. They were pitch outs, walking the batter,and with the opponents' pitcher on deck.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:The catcher's suggestion was not based on one pitch but all four pitches. They were pitch outs, walking the batter,and with the opponents' pitcher on deck.
So they walked in a run just because the pitcher was on deck? Still the dumbest idea ever. Managers get fired for that sh*t.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
10spro wrote:The catcher's suggestion was not based on one pitch but all four pitches. They were pitch outs, walking the batter,and with the opponents' pitcher on deck.
So they walked in a run just because the pitcher was on deck? Still the dumbest idea ever. Managers get fired for that sh*t.
You think? I was up 9-5 in the game and based on the catcher's suggestion the CPU scores the run and I SO the pitcher. I went on to win 10-6.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

What inning? I think it's more disturbing that the CPU wouldn't pinch hit for the pitcher.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Leebo33 wrote:What inning? I think it's more disturbing that the CPU wouldn't pinch hit for the pitcher.
Yeah, that too!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Leebo33 wrote:What inning? I think it's more disturbing that the CPU wouldn't pinch hit for the pitcher.
Hmm, must have been the 5th or 6th inning?