OT: Sirius and XM to Merge

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

well...

if one goes under...does that make a difference?

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Huh? If it was "approved" by the gov, why would it be a secret?

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

16 months later, it's good to see this going through. I wonder if they'll get things together in time for the upcoming NFL season...hopefully so.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/25/technol ... 072520#TOP

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

GTHobbes wrote:16 months later, it's good to see this going through. I wonder if they'll get things together in time for the upcoming NFL season...hopefully so.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/25/technol ... 072520#TOP
Yeah, I saw this last night. I love the "ala carte" options that were mentioned. I have XM and listen pretty much exclusively to MLB Homeplate, and like 5 music channels. I would love to be able to choose something like 10 music channels, the MLB package and NFL package.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Sirius implemented a big lineup change, incorporating some content from XM and generally shaking things up. I like most of the additions, but I'm really steamed that they axed Disorder...easily my favorite station. It was the only station that played the sort of eclectic things that I get when I shuffle my own music collection. There's just nowhere to go to hear Maria Callas and the Beastie Boys back-to-back anymore :(
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

RobVarak wrote:Sirius implemented a big lineup change, incorporating some content from XM and generally shaking things up. I like most of the additions, but I'm really steamed that they axed Disorder...easily my favorite station. It was the only station that played the sort of eclectic things that I get when I shuffle my own music collection. There's just nowhere to go to hear Maria Callas and the Beastie Boys back-to-back anymore :(
So does serious get Opie & Anthony now? Should make for some stern/o&a fun (again).
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

O&A are only available if you pay for the "Best of XM" package, which is IMO a total ripoff.

Here's the new lineup info:

http://www.sirius.com/newlineup

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

XM also pushed through the new lineup last night.

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

Funny - listening to some of the talk shows - callers were saying that they had to "circle the dial"..

I could do without the Elvis channel, but so far everything else seems good.

Hell, I was even listening to classical music last night :wink:

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Did "Left of Center" go away (it was a Sirius station)?

It was the only music thing I really cared about. I can't find it now...
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Talk about out of the loop, I got in my car last night and all my presets for XM we're playing some other s***. I had no idea this was happening.

So if I have XM in my car, actually not even sure what I am asking. As a current XM subscriber what f***in channels do I get now and what has changed?
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

They did a horrible job in telling everyone about the change..

But, they did say in the beginning that there would be a "review of the offerings" and pair it down, since many channels appeared to offer similar stuff.

I'm content though..

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

Danimal wrote:Talk about out of the loop, I got in my car last night and all my presets for XM we're playing some other s***. I had no idea this was happening.

So if I have XM in my car, actually not even sure what I am asking. As a current XM subscriber what f***in channels do I get now and what has changed?
Dan,
I got an email yesterday on the switch. They moved some channels around and renamed some.
http://www.xmradio.com/pdf/channel_guide.pdf
If it helps,here is an adobe pdf on the new channel lineup. I printed one out and stuck it in my truck.
The NBA is available now. I don't remember that being an option before,but I may be wrong. The NFL is still off limits unless you opt for the Sirius add on package. With the DTV football package I'm usually camped in front of the Tv anyhow.
They also added some new channels. The wife is a parrothead,and w/Jimmy Buffetts new channel on 55,she is in heaven :wink:

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Spooky wrote:Did "Left of Center" go away (it was a Sirius station)?

It was the only music thing I really cared about. I can't find it now...
No it didn't spook its still 26 but its changed name as did hard attack the only 2 i really listen too.
Didn't listen that much today but it was different , i didn't here blog radio but thats ok but not if there replacing it with what i heard.

Ive been weening off of it lately as i'm not a huge fan o f the electronic disco stuff that seems to be up front now, when i first got my radio 3 years ago and for the next 2 years Left of center simply had the best music around.
Hard attack is ok , i hate the djs on that channel except for Ian christy and i hate new metal which is what they play most of the work day.
Sirius has been losing it luster for me and this merge has done nothing yet to get me back into it like i was 2/3 years ago.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Well, it didn't take long for the rate increase:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... -decrease/

I'm more pissed at the song repetition and lame f*cking DJ's. Earlier this year I heard the cover "People are Strange" by Echo and Bunnymen 4 times over a 2 week period. Just a few days ago I heard "Every Day is Exactly the Same" twice on a 40 minute run (once on Alt Nation and again on Octane).

I'm not going to cancel as I generally love the content and don't have (m)any good radio stations in my area (or they sound crappy on AM), but it's no wonder the stock is ten cents the way they treat customers.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Surely terrestrial radio is down because of the other options available now, that and the fact you only get 20 mins of music an hour the repetitive song list, isnt this why people moved away in the first place ?

I hope it doesnt go under or go the way of cable tv for sure, i would hate to go back to commercial radio.
The merger hasnt hurt my 2 main channels much other than a lame name change.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Leebo33 wrote:Well, it didn't take long for the rate increase:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... -decrease/

I'm more pissed at the song repetition and lame f*cking DJ's. Earlier this year I heard the cover "People are Strange" by Echo and Bunnymen 4 times over a 2 week period. Just a few days ago I heard "Every Day is Exactly the Same" twice on a 40 minute run (once on Alt Nation and again on Octane).

I'm not going to cancel as I generally love the content and don't have (m)any good radio stations in my area (or they sound crappy on AM), but it's no wonder the stock is ten cents the way they treat customers.
The addition of Xm has hurt the stations. I read a while back with I was looking at XM and Sirius, is that XM relied more on computer generated playlists (like the terrestrial stations) and that Siruis let their DJs have more freedom.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

JRod wrote:The addition of Xm has hurt the stations. I read a while back with I was looking at XM and Sirius, is that XM relied more on computer generated playlists (like the terrestrial stations) and that Siruis let their DJs have more freedom.
That's interesting, JRod. I was actually happy with XM prior to the merger. There was a lot less talk and no DJs talking over songs or talking at all for that matter. I was in for a shock when after the merger I turn on one of the "music" channels and they are talking with callers about group sex. Plus, the repetition is much worse now IMO.

dave360
Mario Mendoza

Post by dave360 »

I think I'm getting ready to cancel mine due to the $3 extra per month for online listening. I'm fine if they increase the rates for the monthly a bit, but don't start charging me for something that's always been free before.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Leebo33 wrote:
JRod wrote:The addition of Xm has hurt the stations. I read a while back with I was looking at XM and Sirius, is that XM relied more on computer generated playlists (like the terrestrial stations) and that Siruis let their DJs have more freedom.
That's interesting, JRod. I was actually happy with XM prior to the merger. There was a lot less talk and no DJs talking over songs or talking at all for that matter. I was in for a shock when after the merger I turn on one of the "music" channels and they are talking with callers about group sex. Plus, the repetition is much worse now IMO.
Hmm, I don't know what stations you are talking about. They rarely take calls and the only DJ that is known to me annoying is Madison on Alt, the 80s alt station and some others.

I liked Sirius because sometimes the DJs would grab something deeper from an album. Before the merger, the 80s music was ran well with the MTV VJs. They would tell a few stories about the music but also go deeper on the albums. Now because they just grabbed XMs stuff, they just play the top hits never going deeper. XM has hurt sirius. :D
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I think the merger has hurt the station quality, and I come from the XM side as well.

And with this online listening fee and additional subscription rate increase, I'm dropping one of my radios. My wife is in the car more than me and really likes the service so I'm not canceling completely, but I can make do at work and in my car with my iPod or one of the hundreds of other online listening options.

IMO, the merger was a necessity, but I also think it just prolonged the death of satellite radio.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

After the merger, I seem to hear the same songs repeated a ton. I have one of those Belkin boomboxes in my office so I can listen through out the day. The E street station though is a welcomed edition.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Dave wrote:I think the merger has hurt the station quality, and I come from the XM side as well.

And with this online listening fee and additional subscription rate increase, I'm dropping one of my radios. My wife is in the car more than me and really likes the service so I'm not canceling completely, but I can make do at work and in my car with my iPod or one of the hundreds of other online listening options.

IMO, the merger was a necessity, but I also think it just prolonged the death of satellite radio.
So a lot of people prefer programmed music but grouse about the way the stations they listen to is programmed.

Shuffling your library isn't an option because you want to hear stuff you don't have.

Has anyone played around much with the Genius recommendations in iTunes?

Or what about things like Pandora?