OT: Buying a car

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Buying a car

Post by dbdynsty25 »

XXXIV wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Kia Optima. Book it.
We have a winner.

Id love to say I kicked the dealers ass but I cant....I can say I love the car. Its sweet.
Congrats man. Tough to beat that car in that class. It's fantastic.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
XXXIV wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Kia Optima. Book it.
We have a winner.

Id love to say I kicked the dealers ass but I cant....I can say I love the car. Its sweet.
Congrats man. Tough to beat that car in that class. It's fantastic.
They were not even on the map at the start and that this board had me take a look. Glad I did.

The arrogance of a couple of dealerships representing Japanese cars( a couple NOT ALL!!!) was a bit TOO much also. Talk about assholes. They went as far as bashing Koreans by ethnicity. . Pathetic they were.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I have a feeling I should not have posted that. 8)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Kia and Hyundai make some really nice cars. I'm amazed how Hyundai went from making cars that you only bought if you had a little more money than what the Yugo cost.

The South Korean cars are well built, stylish and very dependable. Out of all the cars I work on, the Kia's and Hyundai's are the ones I see the least. The new Kia Optima is a very stylish car. Kia did a real nice job with it. Ford also makes a nice car too. The new Ford Focus is a good American car.
Just in case you're wondering why Kia cars all look good now...well, they hired away one of the lead designers at Audi to design the Sportage and Optima. :) Makes sense now eh?

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I must say I liked the handling of the new 2013 Accord a little better but the better looks, lower sticker and dealers greater willingness to move on the Kia won the day.

The Ford Fusion is a pretty cool car too as are the Altima and the Sonata.

Lots of great choices. That is just in mid size sedans. It was NOT easy.

eman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by eman »

The Optima is a gorgeous car. A friend of mine, who is a mechanic and owns his own auto repair shop, said he loves his.
Gamer Tag - mmeh97
Owner in the DSP Official League - Eagles

jLp_VaKer0
Mario Mendoza

Post by jLp_VaKer0 »

So, looking to buy a new car for the family.

My wife still has her trusty ol' 2014 Hyundai Tucson so it's MY turn to get a new toy.

My preference this time was/is a mid size car (Kia Optima, Hyundai Sonata, Mazda 6) but the roads in Puerto Rico are a joke so I need something with good ground clearance.

I'm thinking is I will eventually fall between a small SUV (Sportage, Tucson, CX-5) but I was really hoping to get a nice conferrable sedan.

Don't want to go over 30k.

Anyways, any feedback will be appreciated.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

First bit of advice: Buy gently used.

New cars are one of the worst investments you can make. The value of a new car drops 20 percent the second you drive it off the lot unless it's a highly coveted, limited-production brand, such as Porsche.

You're much smarter to buy a lightly used car -- 2 years old or less -- with low mileage. Many of these vehicles are still under their original warranty, and some are certified, with extended warranties. And you will save a boatload of cash.

I bought a new "used" car last March. A 2009 Toyota Matrix 4WD hatchback with just 59,000 miles. Yeah, it was 10 years old. But it was pristine. I walked in with a certified check for $9,500, and drove away with no payment, owning outright a vehicle that hopefully will serve me well for years to come.

If cars are simply a mode of transportation for you, then it's nuts to buy new. Such a terrible investment, with massive, almost immediate depreciation.

As for brands, there's a reason why you see so many older Toyotas and Hondas on the road. They run forever with very solid powertrains, and parts are plentiful and cheap when problems occur.

Good luck.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

pk500 wrote:First bit of advice: Buy gently used.

New cars are one of the worst investments you can make. The value of a new car drops 20 percent the second you drive it off the lot unless it's a highly coveted, limited-production brand, such as Porsche.

You're much smarter to buy a lightly used car -- 2 years old or less -- with low mileage. Many of these vehicles are still under their original warranty, and some are certified, with extended warranties. And you will save a boatload of cash.

I bought a new "used" car last March. A 2009 Toyota Matrix 4WD hatchback with just 59,000 miles. Yeah, it was 10 years old. But it was pristine. I walked in with a certified check for $9,500, and drove away with no payment, owning outright a vehicle that hopefully will serve me well for years to come.
Paul, my wife hates my car, a 2007 Matrix. I did not follow the PK Car Buying Guide, as I did but it new, but I drive cars until they die. My wife hates that it only has 124k miles, so I tell her it still has many years left. She also hates that it is totally manual (locks, windows, transmission), 2 door handles snapped in half, the top is scratched and looks a bit corroded, and she says the hood has acne (peeling paint spots all over,; see the same on other Corolla/Matrix of that era). Yeah, it is ugly, but it drives fine, never had a mechanical issue, etc.

Back to which car to buy? Personally we like the quality you get with Toyota. We also have a 2015 Camry bought new. Would buy another for the value it gives, When we bought it, the Mazda 6 was also on the short list.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Hahahaha on the Matrix, James. :) I love mine. It's also excellent in the snow, with its 4WD, low-profile wide tires, fairly wide track and low ground clearance. I wish it was a manual tranny, though: I'm jealous of your Matrix, dude.

We also drive cars into the ground. Our 2006 Toyota RAV4 has 175,000 miles, and our mechanic says the rear end is about to give up the ghost. I will play "Taps" fondly for her, as we bought her used in 2008 with 22,000 miles on it. Twelve years and 153,000 miles on a car that we paid off probably by 2010 or 2011? I'll take that.

Our kids drive the RAV4 now. My dream was to have all three of our kids take their road test on it, but our youngest just turned 15 this week. Kids can't get their permits until they turn 16 in New York, and there's no way in hell that rear end will last another year. Oh, well!

We owned a used Mazda CX-9 until last year, and I leased a Mazda 3 sedan from 2016-19. The lease was a stupid idea, the first and last time I'll ever do it. What a waste of money, as you have nothing to trade or sell upon return of the car. But both Mazdas were solid vehicles. Don't sleep on Mazda, the forgotten quality Japanese vehicle. Mazdas also are really fun to drive -- Zoom-zoom is more than just a marketing phrase. I've never owned an SUV that handled more like a car than our CX-9.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Any other Tesla owners here? I bought a model 3 in Sept. & I never knew I could love a stupid car so much!
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

I've had good luck buying used rental cars. Over the years I bought 3 used vehicles from Hertz. Decent variety of makes/models all 2-3 years old with about 40K miles. The dealers by me price them below book value because they want to move them fast. So no haggling, no sales pressure at all - they just give me a spreadsheet with year, make, model, mileage and prices of what they have on the lot.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Pete1210 wrote:
I've had good luck buying used rental cars. Over the years I bought 3 used vehicles from Hertz. Decent variety of makes/models all 2-3 years old with about 40K miles. The dealers by me price them below book value because they want to move them fast. So no haggling, no sales pressure at all - they just give me a spreadsheet with year, make, model, mileage and prices of what they have on the lot.
I bought a rental back in 1999, a 1998 Olds Intrigue. Very good car. Enjoyed it.

There are two schools of thought about rentals. One -- don't buy one because renters beat the sh*t out of them. Two -- buy them because they're maintained and cleaned more regularly by rental car companies than most private owners.

I followed the latter philosophy when buying a rental, and it paid off.