Lost Planet: Impressions...

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Lost Planet: Impressions...

Post by Spooky »

Holy sh*t!!! This one may just complete the shooter circle. Between this, Gears and RS I think we have the holy trinity!

So we have all played the demos (both online an off) and they were pretty cool. A little different, but cool none-the-less. I was actually not entirely sure I would be picking this one up but am very glad I decided to (so far).

I played about 30 minutes of the single player game before taking this bad boy online. The single player looks to be nicely refined from the demo, but still the same basics. I will not go into too much detail here since most of us have played the demo and my limited time with it. What is nice is that the game feels totally different from the other big shooters we are playing right now, so it feels refreshing yet semi-intuitive.

So after playing the online demo I was not sold. It just seemed a bit too haphazard for my liking. There were some cool possibilities but just too unrefined. So I jump online last night and my experience was completely different. I attribute this to a combination of the different maps, being a bit more familiar with the game, some obvious tweaking from the development team since the demo (can't pinpoint exactly what is better but it just feels refined) and the addition of weapons, mechs and characters that were limited in the demo.

I only played about 3 or 4 matches so I this impression is very early but there seems to be a lot here with this one...I mean a TON! Obviously that never guarantees a DSP hit and this could very well end up having some issues or quirkiness but right now it seems to have the potential to hang with GoW, easily.

I played two of the four modes (there is elimination, team elimination, post capture and one other). I played team Elimination and the Post Capture ones (no exact names but I cannot remember the right ones off the top of my head). So...I still have no real idea of what the hell I am dong in the online games other than running around and shooting but as much fun as I had doing just that can only mean that this thing will shine once I figure out how to really play. There is a freakin' TON of sh*t going on and it is great. The game allows up to 16 players and the maps I played seem to be the perfect size for that #. The addition of newer weapons and different mechs from the demo make this thing a totally different game. I hopped into a couple mechs last night that blew me away. Ones that can hover, ones that can transform into a vehicle, ones with freakin' HUGE ass missiles....WOW!

Again, I had not concept of what to do other an kill the enemy or try to capture a post (there is other stuff going on like points and team meters that I am not sure about) but the thought of getting a full DSP room going with all the different sh*t you can do gives me goose bumps. I know it is way early, but if my initial impressions hold and there are not glaring issues this one will be the game to have for any large DSP poker nights. You know what it felt a bit like, it felt a bit like SW: Battlefront in the sense of teamwork, scale and chaos.

Last, but certainly not least are the graphics. This one may just have something on GoW. While GoW has a bit more detail, this games effects and colors make it a serious competitor. The smoke and explosions and overall landscape are phenomenal. The online games looks freakin' sick and have every bit as good of graphics as the single player.

Actually...now that I think about it, IGN and Team X-Box's reviews seems to be spot on so far. There are a couple of annoying thins in the single player that I saw them mention and have experienced, but nothing that would be anywhere close to a game killer (like this weird stumble animation that take s bit long).

Goddam I hope I am not wrong about this one because I can see this thing being an AWESOME DSP online game with a great single player game to boot. What a great time for 360 shooter fans!
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

you forgot to mention "FEAR" in the holy "quadity" of great shooters :D

nice impressions Spooky. I am looking forward to picking this one up when I can find it on sale or might just Gamefly it for a while.

How does the multiplayer compare to the solo play? Is the game more geared toward mp or solo? I like both, but some games seem designed more with one or the other in mind.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

JackB1 wrote:
How does the multiplayer compare to the solo play? Is the game more geared toward mp or solo? I like both, but some games seem designed more with one or the other in mind.
In that respect LP seems very similar to GoW. Looks like we'll get both a great single player game along with an awesome MP one.

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

JackB1 wrote:you forgot to mention "FEAR" in the holy "quadity" of great shooters :D
FEAR's too scary. I'll only play that with the lights on, my cat on my lap, and a priest in the next room. On second thought, that might be even scarier.
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

mixdj1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mixdj1 »

Airdog wrote:
JackB1 wrote:you forgot to mention "FEAR" in the holy "quadity" of great shooters :D
FEAR's too scary. I'll only play that with the lights on, my cat on my lap, and a priest in the next room. On second thought, that might be even scarier.
I actually quit playing it and sent it back to gamefly because it was too scary. I could only play for about an hour at a time and then I'd be too freaked out to continue. It probably didn't help that I could only play it at night after everyone else was in bed and the 5.1 sound in the game is very effective. 8O The funny thing is when I played the demo on my PC it didn't bother me hardly at all.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

mixdj1 wrote:the 5.1 sound in the game is very effective. 8O
These guys excel at using that to the utmost. Did you play their Condemned, too? The 5.1 kicked ass in that game as well...cans rolling around behind you from right to left, the panting, gasping breathing of a psycho as he waited in ambush just up ahead..

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Damn you Spooky! I thought the single-player demo was okay. The other night I finally got around to playing the multiplayer demo and was not impressed at all. It was very slow and lethargic and didn't really seem like there was any strategy involved other than "get the bigger gun first and you'll win". Granted, I didn't give it much of a shot but it didn't seem like it was even close to the big shooters online. Who else is picking this one up?
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I'm abstaining... my game-lust has been burned out when it comes to shooters. GoW is enough for me.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

ScoopBrady wrote:Damn you Spooky! I thought the single-player demo was okay. The other night I finally got around to playing the multiplayer demo and was not impressed at all. It was very slow and lethargic and didn't really seem like there was any strategy involved other than "get the bigger gun first and you'll win". Granted, I didn't give it much of a shot but it didn't seem like it was even close to the big shooters online. Who else is picking this one up?
See...you might be right one this and this is how I felt until playing it more last night. And believe me, I did not want to like this game as much as I did. I popped iot in last night after working a 14 hour day, having a slight headache, being tired from staying up until 2:30am the night before and it still impressed the hell out of me. That has got to count for something.

It may very well end up not being nearly as fun or have the strategic possibilities that I felt like it will last night, but right now I am excited as hell to play it more and find out! Hopefully some of you guys will pick this up or rent it to try it out with me so we can give it the collevtive DSP thumbs up or down.

Maybe the awesome graphics and sound were blinding me last night too. This thing just looks so damn cool. And the addition of mechs for the MP is really neat. At one point I was atop a large hill with the sniper riffle picking people off and stopped to just observe the chaos from afar and it was awe inspiring. All the sh*t going on with HUGE explosions and mechs everywhere was so damn cool. It is almost felt a bit like watching all the craziness in Battlefield. But it is actually not quite a hectic as I am making it out to be and think there are a lot of strategic possibilities underneath.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

I'll only play that with the lights on, my cat on my lap, and a priest in the next room. On second thought, that might be even scarier.
More scary if you had a priest on your lap and your cat in the next room.

I really didn't need another game to hit my radar right now.......but it's hard not to be a bit interested after such a positive impression. Must be strong........

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

is this an FPS or more like GOW? I like the GOW 3rd person shooter style but this game sounds intriguing.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

tjung0831 wrote:is this an FPS or more like GOW? I like the GOW 3rd person shooter style but this game sounds intriguing.
It's 3rd person.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Spooky wrote:
tjung0831 wrote:is this an FPS or more like GOW? I like the GOW 3rd person shooter style but this game sounds intriguing.
It's 3rd person.
SOLD!
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

I have it reserved and will be picking it up first thing this morning.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I plan on picking it up today as well.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

After a little bit more playing time I still stand by my initial statements.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Sitting on my desk and will give it a go later at lunch.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Danimal wrote:Sitting on my desk and will give it a go later at lunch.
Not sure why you'd be sitting on your desk, but hey...

I'll probably pick LP up later too... damn you all :wink:

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

It's either this or GOW so I think I'm going to have get GOW. LP was tempting though.
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

Spooky wrote:After a little bit more playing time I still stand by my initial statements.
Gotta agree with you. After playing it for about an hour, I love it. It can be a little tough, but that's cool...Capcom games do tend to lean towards the more difficult side.

I love the weapons, love the explosions, and absolutely love the interface. I love how you can tap the RB or LB to turn instead of having to constantly be moving the left stick. Great control system.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Badgun wrote:
Spooky wrote:After a little bit more playing time I still stand by my initial statements.
I love how you can tap the RB or LB to turn instead of having to constantly be moving the left stick. Great control system.
That's the one thing I am still trying to get used to. It's not that I'm having trouble with it, it's just that i keep forgetting to use it.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Just picked it up from Best buy. Will be checking it out later tonight.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

So far my initial impressions are that it's a decent game. It starts out a little slow but mission 2 it picks up. If not for GOW, LP might be the best game for the 360 but I just don't think it's as good as GOW, nor do I think it looks as good. It's close though and some of landscapes are downright beautiful but it seems if GOW is just a tad bit better looking. LP is fun though at least for now.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Theo
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Theo »

The boss in the first level is giving me fits. I can't kill it before I run out of thermal energy. Any tips? Thanks.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Theo wrote:The boss in the first level is giving me fits. I can't kill it before I run out of thermal energy. Any tips? Thanks.
That rolling this is a b*tch, just wait until the next boss battle though. Anyway I was having a hell of a time utnil I figured out I could attach a rocket launcher or second gaitlin gun to the VS suits lying around.

You have to shoot the sac on its tail. Use your jump jets and keep moving and hovering behind him, when he goes into that fit where he just rolls all over the place. Jump and Hover and as soon as you hit the ground repeat until he is done. Anyway adding the rocket launcher as an atatchment is what put me over the top.

My biggest complaint with this game is the boss battles, I hate boss battles you have to replay just because you have to learn the "trick"
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation