The IPhone is totally awesome oh my gawd thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The IPhone is totally awesome oh my gawd thread

Post by 10spro »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Oh, and the Gold 5S is disgusting.

It'll be interesting to try i0S 7 on my Mini and iPod Touch 5g...I mean it's ugly as hell, but so was iOS 6...so hopefully functionality is improved and they didn't just pastel up the icons and interface.
I agree, but chicks will dig it.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

The sensor would be useful if third-party apps could authenticate that way, so that I wouldn't have to type in my password for other apps.

But if it only supports AppleID, which would mean it's limited to unlocking the phone or authenticating apps. that you download, then the benefits are pretty limited.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I liked what I saw with the unveiling today. My only beef is no preorders for the 5s...only 5c. 5s goes on sale the 20th so unless you go to an actual Apple Store you won't get the 5s on release day. My guess is you can order online on the 20th but you obviously wont get the phone for 3 days or so. BS by Apple.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Diablo25 wrote:I liked what I saw with the unveiling today. My only beef is no preorders for the 5s...only 5c. 5s goes on sale the 20th so unless you go to an actual Apple Store you won't get the 5s on release day. My guess is you can order online on the 20th but you obviously wont get the phone for 3 days or so. BS by Apple.
I just happened to be in Target yesterday returning something and my son wanted to look at the phones. While we were over there, I just happened to ask the sales guy if they are going to be getting in the 5S on the 20th. He said I could pre-order one and I would have it on release day. I didn't have to put any down, and can change my mind obviously if I decide not to purchase it. In any case, I reserved the 32GB smoke grey.

I stopped in to Best Buy this evening, and they were only taking pre-orders on the 5C. I'm going to head over to BB at lunch on the 20th and see if I can snag a 5S as I'd rather use my points if I'm going to purchase the phone. If not, I'll probably get it from Target.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Really liking the new IOS 7.0....nice update Apple!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

sportdan30 wrote:Really liking the new IOS 7.0....nice update Apple!
Agreed! Love iRadio.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Control center finally gives me the simplicity that Android does with its settings. Nice addition.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Seriously? I'm about ready to sell my iPad mini it's so bad. Graphically it is too white everywhere. The animations are waaaaay too long for opening and closing apps. The opaque areas look like stained glass windows (I am not in church). And finally...the icons...wow. Paint by numbers...now with pastels for no reason!!!!

The new lock screen and control center are the only pluses in my days worth of use so far.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Seriously? I'm about ready to sell my iPad mini it's so bad. Graphically it is too white everywhere. The animations are waaaaay too long for opening and closing apps. The opaque areas look like stained glass windows (I am not in church). And finally...the icons...wow. Paint by numbers...now with pastels for no reason!!!!

The new lock screen and control center are the only pluses in my days worth of use so far.
If you backed up your mini via iTunes you can do a full restore to iOS 6. I read so much about iOS7 that i've decided to wait. Oh and not only are people saying there's lag but wallpapers are not scaling properly.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:If you backed up your mini via iTunes you can do a full restore to iOS 6. I read so much about iOS7 that i've decided to wait. Oh and not only are people saying there's lag but wallpapers are not scaling properly.
I don't plug in my devices. So no backup. LOL. I'll just sell it and get a Nexus 7 LTE. I really am shocked at how ugly the interface is now...it's jarring.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Yeah, agreed about the interface. It looks like an Android knockoff.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I actually like it ok. I certainly don't have any severe negative reactions to it. I am enjoying the new features as I discover them, so maybe that's distracting me from notching the things that will bother me later.

But I just discovered a cool new feature: when I go to the tabs view on safari on my phone, it shows me the tabs that are open on my iPad. That will certainly make jumping from one device to the other slicker.

As I type this however I am getting annoyed at the newly slower and more frustrating typing on the phone. :evil:

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

It's jarring compared to what it was before.

Seems all the third parties have jumped on board, updating all their apps. Some like the NY Times apps won't support iOS 6 or older.

The current fashion for flat design will become outmoded in a couple of years. Then what?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Zeppo wrote:But I just discovered a cool new feature: when I go to the tabs view on safari on my phone, it shows me the tabs that are open on my iPad. That will certainly make jumping from one device to the other slicker.

As I type this however I am getting annoyed at the newly slower and more frustrating typing on the phone. :evil:
You should have been using Chrome on your devices for the past two years. Has done the same thing. :) And yes, EVERYTHING is just slower on iOS 7.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Zeppo wrote:But I just discovered a cool new feature: when I go to the tabs view on safari on my phone, it shows me the tabs that are open on my iPad. That will certainly make jumping from one device to the other slicker.

You should have been using Chrome on your devices for the past two years. Has done the same thing. :) And yes, EVERYTHING is just slower on iOS 7.
Yeah - I've been a Chrome guy for the past couple years and enjoying the open tab on any device feature.

I like the new iOS a lot. Nothing bothers me. The animations when unlocking and opening/closing apps doesn't bother me in the least.

I have seen zero difference in the keyboard performance. I am on an iPhone 5, maybe it's different on older phones or iPads?

After seeing the new feature of shared tabs in Safari, I was trying to go back to using that as my desktop browser on my iMac. It's been a long time since I've used the desktop version. Apparently it's mad at me for my abandonment and keeps freezing my computer when trying to use it. WTF?!?! Never had anything like that happen from Apple before.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

For anyone who wants to downgrade from iOS 7 Apple posted the iOS 6.1.2/6.1.3 IPSW files.

http://vipulmb.blogspot.com/2013/06/ios ... nload.html

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Tried to get a 5s this morning & wow, about 150 people in-line & 4 to 5 hour wait. Uh, no thanks. Went ahead an ordered online (ships in 7 to 10 days).
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

greggsand wrote:Tried to get a 5s this morning & wow, about 150 people in-line & 4 to 5 hour wait. Uh, no thanks. Went ahead an ordered online (ships in 7 to 10 days).
Did you go to your carrier store, or just the Apple store? Most people who couldn't get one at Apple just went to their carrier and got em without a problem (usually).

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
greggsand wrote:Tried to get a 5s this morning & wow, about 150 people in-line & 4 to 5 hour wait. Uh, no thanks. Went ahead an ordered online (ships in 7 to 10 days).
Did you go to your carrier store, or just the Apple store? Most people who couldn't get one at Apple just went to their carrier and got em without a problem (usually).
Both my local Verizon store and Apple store (located in the same mall) opened early this morning at 8:00 AM. The lines were around the store and out into the parking lot. Due to a prior commitment the earliest I could go to the store to pickup my iPhone 5s was at 10:00 AM. I figured that I had little chance of getting a phone today but decided to go to a Verizon store at another location. I walked right in and was greeted by a salesman, transferred an update from one of my kids lines, traded in my iPhone 5 32 Gb, and walked out with an iPhone 5s 32 Gb for a net cost of $50 (I bought a $30 Incipio case to replace my broken one).

Reason for updating: I'm a gadget/techie and avid picture/video taker (3 grandchildren) so the iPhone 5s was worth the upgrade. For most people, upgrading from an iPhone 5 to 5s is really not necessary. A friend of mine who is technologically challenged and doesn't take many pictures upgraded his and his wife's simple flip phone to an iPhone 5 last week at my suggestion. However, my son owns an iPhone 4 and he will surely appreciate upgrading to an iPhone 5s.

So far, I'm very happy with my iPhone 5s. :D

-MERACE

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

For me, I had no luck at one AT&T store, but the one closest to my house had 19 5S 32 GB Space Grey iPhones as of 11:30 this afternoon. So, that is where I purchased mine. Tonight, I went to the Apple Store to buy and over priced Apple case, and they had a ton of 5S and 5C phones, but none in Gold. Gold sold out first, which to me was very surprising. It did seem that the 5C was far less popular as most stores had ample supply. I sampled one very quickly in the store and found it to be a nice build. It felt quite solid.

By far, the best feature is the fingerprint sensor. It only took me a few hours to figure out that I didn't have to always punch in my 4 digit code everytime I turned the phone on. Now, you do have to click the home button, but then you hold your thumb print down for half a second, and waaaaala....and you're logged in, which is very nice. I've already added my son's thumb print. For being my first smart phone, I'm extremely happy.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Wait til you get your first smart phone bill.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

wco81 wrote:Wait til you get your first smart phone bill.
8O ...... :(

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I did check with a couple AT&T stores yesterday & not one of them received any 64gb models.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

greggsand wrote:I did check with a couple AT&T stores yesterday & not one of them received any 64gb models.
Same here. Ordered mine through Best Buy. Trading in my Son's 4s (I gave him when I got the 5) and giving him my 5 64GB and I am upgrading to the 5s 64 GB. Best Buy is giving me a trade in value of $225 for the 4s so the effective cost of my new 5s is $175. Can't beat that all the way around.....

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

I haven't been 'round these parts too much lately; just way to busy at work.

However, I did pick up my iPhone 5s on Friday, and it's cool - though I'm waiting for my gold one to get here on Friday.

MORE IMPORTANTLY; I got a kick out of going back to PAGES 1-4 of this thread to recall how many people balked at the iPhone (and all multi-purpose cell phones) when it was originally announced. I am willing to bet even PK has an Android/iPhone by now. Look how far we've come.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"