OT: Racing 2007 (Spoiler Alert)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I like the track layout. I also like they're going counter clockwise and I noticed turn 13 has been changed so it's not too dangerous for the riders.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Hamilton crash halts qualifying

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/60982

Lewis Hamilton crashed heavily in final qualifying for the European Grand Prix on Saturday.

The session was red flagged after the 22-year-old British Formula One rookie suffered what looked like a tyre failure and ploughed at speed into the barriers.

The Briton climbed out of the car by himself, but was treated for several minutes before he was taken to the medical centre in an ambulance.

"We had a failure of the right-hand wheel-gun, so effectively the wheel wasn't properly put on," team boss Ron Dennis told ITV. "But that's not a mechanic's fault, we're not quite sure what has failed."

Hamilton is 12 points clear of teammate and double world champion Fernando Alonso after nine races.

There were five minutes and 13 seconds remaining in the session.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

That was a scary crash and could have been much worse; the nose of the car was elevated quite a bit as it rocketed through the gravel.

Good news that there are no fractures, but it looks like Hamilton is still questionable for tomorrow's race.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I'm glad the he's alright and I hope he gets to race tomorrow for another podium finish even though i'm a huge Kimi fan. :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Update on Lewis Hamilton.

He is ok and was taken to the local hospital as a precaution but it appears he has NO injuries other than being shaken up. The BBC is reporting that he may have tweaked one or both of his feet when the car made impact with the tire barrier.

The question is whether he will be able to race tomorrow from P10 but according to Ron Dennis he is optimistic. :D

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

That was a scary looking crash. Thank God he's OK, and I hope he is able to race tomorrow.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

One of the ITV reporters (Martin Brundle) suggested that Lewis' car looks repairable. If not he'll have to start from the pit lane if he drives the backup car. Hopefully he is well enough to race and starts from P10.

I saw the crash and it looked nasty. I'm also glad he's ok. :)

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

I wasn't logged in to Autosport when I read this, so hopefully the non-subscribers to that site should be able to see this - fun times aboard the good ship Toro Rosso:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61125
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

SpeedTV.com just reported that Speed has been fired. No surprise after reading that interview.

Speed is dreaming if he thinks his F1 career will continue with another team in 2008. It's toast. Better start looking for a Champ Car or ALMS seat now.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Man, that's some crazy s***. It's nice we could hear him vent, I guess, and get his side of the story before he vanished into obscurity. I wonder what Tonio would have to say about all this? Sounds like Scott was saying they aren't treating him much better. I've never really been a fan of Speed, he's always seemed kind of whiney, but it's so tough in a crappy car to have any kind of success, so I feel like I never really got to see him race. He and Tonio seemed to see saw with each other, so if Liuzi goes on to better things, it will be all the more frustrating. What ever happened to the RB US driver search program? Will we ever have another driver in F1? Meanwhile, how much further can Bernie alienate all the manufacturers with his 'screw the US' philosophy before they up and revolt? Grrrr.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Zeppo wrote:What ever happened to the RB US driver search program?
It ended after the 2005 season because Speed was promoted to F1, and the program's PR mission was seen as accomplished.
Zeppo wrote:Will we ever have another driver in F1?
There are only two candidates now: Marco Andretti and Graham Rahal. But neither will make it based on their performances in the IRL or Champ Car, even if they are sterling. They both will need to move to Europe and work for a year or two as an F1 test driver or in GP2 to get a shot at F1.

It has taken Sebastien Bourdais years to get this close to F1, and he's a much better, more complete driver than Marco or young Rahal. Sure, Flavio Briatore's blackballing of Seabass didn't help, but the long trip the guy has taken to get to the gates of F1 shows just how little the F1 community respects the American open-wheel scene these days.

Otherwise, nearly every young American road racer is heading for the money in NASCAR. Look at Allmendinger -- he's absolutely nowhere in Cup but is collecting fat cash from Toyota and Red Bull.

Even America's best young sportscar driver, Colin Braun, just signed with Roush Fenway to start a stock car program. He'll continue in Grand Am next season, mixed with an ARCA and Busch schedule, with a move exclusively to stock cars in 2009.
Zeppo wrote:Meanwhile, how much further can Bernie alienate all the manufacturers with his 'screw the US' philosophy before they up and revolt? Grrrr.
They never will revolt. Manufacturers know how to build and market cars, not race series. They will stay with Bernie as long as he continues to deliver them profits on the racetrack and eyeballs on worldwide TVs.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Speed tells his side of the story, good read. It sounds like he's working for a bunch of Aholes. I like Speed, when I saw him race last year he was at least consistent with a pretty crappy car. In the interview it sounds like he's had enough of F1 and wants to try something else. It's too bad it turned out this way for him. :(

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61125

"Initially I didn't want to come out in the press and talk about this, because after the race Franz spent 15 minutes apologising for his behaviour, because it was clear to everyone that he was way out of line," Speed said this afternoon.

"But after coming out and denying this stuff, it's just another very dishonest thing that Franz or [team co-owner] Gerhard [Berger] have said in the media to damage me and [teammate] Tonio Liuzzi. And at this point, I've had enough.

"And I know that it's going to hurt Red Bull, and that's definitely not my intention, because Dietrich Mateschitz and Red Bull have been a huge support to me. They're the reasons I have achieved everything I have in motor racing.

"But Franz Tost in particular is out of control. The fact of the matter is when we left the pit wall, Franz was furious that I'd crashed in Turn 1, regardless of the fact that nearly every single driver behind [Jenson] Button did the exact same thing, including Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg.

"He (Tost) was furious that I crashed. When I asked him about the pitstop, he said 'it doesn't matter because you crashed', and he didn't want to hear any criticisms about what the team did. He was trying to blame me about the pitstop.

"After that I just turned away and walked towards the garage, and I guess he must have caught up behind me. When he reached me, he hit me in the middle of the back with a closed fist. Everyone in the team saw it.

"As I was leaving the garage he then followed me behind the partition, where none of the mechanics could see. He grabbed me from the front of my shirt, jerked me around, ripping a little bit my fire suit, and pushed me against the wall.

"After that my only response was to back up in the middle of the garage and ask him if he wanted to hit me in front of everyone else."

Q: So did anybody see what happened when he grabbed you?

Speed: "There were a couple of people who saw. He grabbed me right below the neck, on my fireproof t-shirt, and jerked me back and forth, let go, and then pushed me into the wall behind where the cars are. There were two team people there, and another person, who saw it."

Q: What happened next - is it true that you went to Gerhard and said something?

Speed: "Immediately after that situation, as you can imagine I was furious. I walked to the pit wall and wanted to inform everyone that this happened. So I looked at my team manager, the technical director, and Gerhard Berger, and told them that if my team chief ever touches me again, I'm going to knock him out.

"They said 'OK, let's try to calm this whole situation down'. I said fine, and I went back in my room [in the motorhome] and I stayed there until the end of the race. At which point, Gerhard and Franz both came back. Franz was calmed down and spent 15 minutes apologizing for his behavior."

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

A-holes in Formula One?!?!? What a shock! At least they put on a good "show".

Meanwhile, my Grand Am DP cars are having a great championship, with 4 drivers very close at the top of the standings.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Gurantsu wrote:A-holes in Formula One?!?!? What a shock! At least they put on a good "show".

Meanwhile, my Grand Am DP cars are having a great championship, with 4 drivers very close at the top of the standings.
You must be referring to the F1 procession. :D

CrazyPsycho
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by CrazyPsycho »

Poor Scott Speed got fired for Sebastian Vettel. Curious to see how he does, I think he placed 7th for Sauber after the Kubica crash.

Guess I should read farther up first. Still a shame, I thought he was better than Liuzzi.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

CrazyPsycho wrote:Still a shame, I thought he was better than Liuzzi.
Perhaps - the two seemed fairly evenly matched a lot of the time - but Scott's big problem is that being better than Liuzzi doesn't equate to being good enough for a Formula One drive - he had to blow him into the weeds, and it didn't quite happen. Tonio has been a real disappointment in F1, especially considering the hype surrounding him when he was a big shot in F3000.

He seems a very easy man to dislike, but if the situation at Toro Rosso is anything like the one Speed described, it's difficult to blame him for speaking out - he knew his days were numbered in any case, though I don't know what he'll have done for his future career prospects.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The FIA Penalizes Alonso, Loses Pole, Starts from Sixth. The stewards agreed he held up Hamilton while in the Pit so he couldn't do another qualifying lap.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61370

McLaren stripped of potential points.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61371

"The stewards of the Hungarian Grand Prix have also penalised the McLaren team, saying the outfit will not be awarded any constructors points in tomorrow's race.

This comes along with a five-place demotion for Fernando Alonso, who has lost his pole position and will start tomorrow's race in sixth place.

The stewards said they did not accept the team's explanations nor Alonso's for the incident in today's qualifying, which saw the Spaniard hold up his teammate Lewis Hamilton, causing the Briton to lose the opportunity to run another flying lap.

McLaren have the right to appeal the stewards' decision."

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Ok now it's starting to get interesting. It's apparent these guys don't like each other. Go Lewis ! :D

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/ ... 0238.shtml

Hamilton triggered pit controversy - Alonso

More than four hours after the incident at the end of Hungarian GP qualifying, the Fernando Alonso versus Lewis Hamilton pit stop controversy is still sizzling.

Team boss Ron Dennis, who was visibly angry despite seeing his cars qualify first and second, confirmed the news to reporters in Budapest.

"Lewis should have slowed and let Fernando past," Dennis said. "And he didn't. He charged off."

But Alonso has threatened to widen the tension with his British teammate and team even further by speculating as to why so many long faces could be seen in McLaren overalls after qualifying.

"Because I am first and Hamilton is second," he told Marca. "This is something that is very hard for me to say, but that is what I see."

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

GB_Simo wrote:
CrazyPsycho wrote:Still a shame, I thought he was better than Liuzzi.
Perhaps - the two seemed fairly evenly matched a lot of the time - but Scott's big problem is that being better than Liuzzi doesn't equate to being good enough for a Formula One drive - he had to blow him into the weeds, and it didn't quite happen. Tonio has been a real disappointment in F1, especially considering the hype surrounding him when he was a big shot in F3000.

He seems a very easy man to dislike, but if the situation at Toro Rosso is anything like the one Speed described, it's difficult to blame him for speaking out - he knew his days were numbered in any case, though I don't know what he'll have done for his future career prospects.
Considering how young Vettel did at Indy, it will be interesting to see if he can do anything in that STR car at all. If he can't beat out Liuzzi in the coming races, it would certainly make one think Speed could have done much more in a competitive car than he was able to show in the STR. But nonetheless there's not much to recommend Speed going to another team. I've already said there was something about him that turned me off, but his speaking out about what happened in Germany actually raised my opinion of him quite a bit. I just think it's a shame that F1 has given up on the US, because there seem to be quite a few like me who just happen to be American that like the series, but it's tough when all you get is the back of the hand over and over and over.

PK, my point about the manufacturers is that it seems to me BMW, Merceded, Toyota, and Honda would prefer to have 2 races in the US, much less one, since for all of those manyfacturers, the USA is their biggest market, and their most important, though maybe for the Germans the home market is more important. None of them can be too happy about losing the USGP to Bernie's price gouging, but you're right, there is a lot more to the series than a race in the biggest auto market and the biggest single draw of the F1 calendar year after year thanks to the facility at the Speedway. When I see Adidas, Beckham, Blanco, Schelotto, and so on show that they believe in the potential of the US market for a European/ global sport and back it with real action looking at the long term goal, it's that much more frustrating to see the back of the F1 hand once again, and a double shot no less with the sacking of Speed and the dismissal of the USGP.

As to Alonzo's shenanigans, wow, my opinion of him has changed a lot this year. It's not that I'm in love with Hamilton, but that youngster seems to have more class in his little finger than the Spaniard has in his whole person. I mean sure, the pressure is huge, and it's not like Alonso is going out of his way to disrespect the young phenom, . . . well, until today. That stunt in the pit was pretty sad, it has to be said. Maybe he though with the tire warmer debacle on the previous pit, he could get away with it, but it was pretty cowardly, I think, to BS his way to the pole like that. I don't remember if he had anything to say about what MS did at Monaco last year (I doubt it, since it was Kimi that got shafted that time, not Alonso), but if he did, he's go no credibility on that score anymore.

Still, I think it's a bit extreme for the race stewards to take such drastic action. As far as I can see, it is essentially an internal team matter. It's not like Hamilton was relegated to 10th place because of what happened, he was still on the front row. Since they are teammates, I just don't see where the stewards have any jurisdiction at all. And by docking McLaren of whatever points they would earn tomorrow, it makes it seem like they think the team itself had something to do with what happened, when it's clear as day that only Alonso was to blame. It reeks of the kind of heavy-handed, overbearing 'make up the rules as we go' crap that makes some people I know hate F1. They want to make it seem fair and free competition but then they can be so capricious in their official rulings that all of a sudden it can feel scripted and pre-ordained. What happened wasn't good for the sport, but it was the petty act of one cowardly man unwilling to face fair competition, and from a teammate, no less. With the officials' ruling, they have elevated what happened to a such a degree that it makes the 'F1 = Ferrari boosters' seem even more credible than before.

Anyway, that's my 2¢, and I'm still looking forward to the race. I have to say, qualifying was not as fun without having Speed to root for to get out of Q1. I guess I'll have to pull for Kubica even more now, maybe even both BMW drivers. It'll be interesting to see what Massa can muster from so far back on the grid. The whole tire thing should play out interestingly as well. Will anyone be willing to go for a one-stopper, which might not be a bad idea at this circuit, but with the option tires going off so badly, can they chance it? Should be fun to see.

CrazyPsycho
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by CrazyPsycho »

Pretty wild day of racing. The Alonso thing blew my mind, you could tell by the way the crew was reacting that it was Alonso's call. Absolutely amazing.

Then Robby Gordon telling NASCAR to stick it up their ass. Their rules are so asinine, it's about time someone stood up. I'm sure nobody will listen though, and he will be in some big time heat.

For those who didn't see, they were in Montreal for the Busch race. Gordon passes Ambrose, and then a yellow comes out. Normally, they freeze the field, and positions are frozen. Ambrose then tags Robby and spins him out. NASCAR tells Robby to restart 12th, he refuses to comply, and they throw the green with him sitting 2nd. He instantly wrecks Ambrose and proceeds to finish ahead of the race winner Harvick. He then does the standard race winner celebration, doing donuts at the same time as Harvick. I could not be laughing any harder at this point.

If they are going to freeze the field, and then you get wrecked by someone after the yellow comes out, how do you lose your position? I can understand if you spin out on your own, but not if you get punted. This could lead to people spinning opponent's out so they can move up a spot after the yellow has come out.

Just mind boggling stuff going on today.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

The ending of the Busch race was a complete farce. I agree that Gordon got screwed by NASCAR; the decision to place him anywhere but first or second, and it definitely looked like first, was completely asinine.

But then it was equally asinine to allow the field to take the green when everyone knew Ambrose was about to get the race taken away by Gordon's chrome horn. Nothing like having the twelfth place car, no matter how dumb it is that he's 12th, intentionally take out the leader on a restart. Big thumbs up to Ambrose though for the way he handled the post-race interview. Another year of Busch and I'd expect the Aussie Vineyards sponsorship to find its way to a Cup car for him, he's been a fast learner.

Naturally the winner crashed out 2 of the 4 cars in front of him on the prior restart.

It is too bad that a wrestling match broke out at the end of the race though, the other parts I caught were very entertaining. NASCAR isn't the prettiest road race, but they are my favorite to watch these days.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

With 12 laps to go S. Vettel has done no better than my boy Speed he's in 16th place.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Gordon parked by NASCAR for today's Cup race due to his actions in the Busch race Saturday in Montreal:

http://www.thatsracin.com/247/story/5820.html

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster:

Vettel's potential is immense. He's 19 years old and will improve quite a bit. As much as it pains me to say this, he's a much better prospect than Scott Speed.

That said, for Toro Rosso to say Speed was canned due to performance issues is laughable. Did you see the graphic comparing Speed and Liuzzi during the Hungarian GP pre-race show today on SPEED TV? Speed dusted Liuzzi this season in nearly every performance category.

It's a moot point, anyways: Pretty certain that Bourdais will be Vettel's teammate next season at STR. Nice way to derail your career in a sh*tbox, SeaBass. Bourdais would be better served to go to NASCAR. He won an IROC race, remember, so he is skilled in stock cars.

All interesting points, Zep. Alonso always has been a prima donna in humility's clothing.

He was the golden boy at Minardi, routing his teammate there. He quickly established himself as No. 1 at Renault and received unofficial No. 1 status at that team during his tenure there. No different than Schumacher and Ferrari except it wasn't contractual or declared publicly.

Alonso has a history of throwing the toys out of the pram any time his teammate beats him or appears to have an upper hand. He threw a sh*tfit each time Fisi beat him early in the season in 2005 and 2006. He moaned and cried late last season that Renault wasn't supporting him during his title fight with Schumacher because he already declared he was leaving for McLaren.

I doubt you'll see Alonso renew his contract with McLaren after this term or even finish it. He must be in a team where he is the unofficial or official No. 1 and receives complete affection from the team.

That never will happen with McLaren. Say what you will about The Ron, but he always lets his drivers race, which is admirable. Plus Hamilton has been on the books at McLaren for 10 years and is British, so he always will be the most favored son at Woking.

There's only one team where Alonso could receive the kind of complete affection he needs in strong equipment: Ferrari. Mark it down -- Alonso will be in a Ferrari by 2009.

Controlled, composed performance by Hamilton today. I loved Peter Windsor's question to Hobbs: "Is the performance Stirling or sterling?" Nice reference to the great Moss.

Take care,
PK

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Paul awesome points but I would not bet against this being Fernando's last year with McLaren. I do agree with you Ferrari is a perfect fit and that's where he's going my guess next year. I know it sounds crazy but I came to this conclusion for two reasons.

1) Flavio Briatore held off from making his drivers lineup for next year in hopes of getting Alonso back in the team if the FIA found them guilty which didn't happen. His hopes were if they were it would have violated a clause in Fernando's contract. It's now going to appeal.

2) Ferrari no question are very disappointed with Kimi. No surprise as his rumored off track party life and team discipline have shown this season. In the opener he was the Kimi everyone feared where he demolished the field. After that it's fair to say he's been outperformed by Massa. Nothing bad against Felipe because IMO he's a damn good driver. I tend to put Felipe in the Ruebens category. A solid number 2 driver which helps produce results and pushes and annoys the number 1 guy but doesn't have the "IT" to replace the number 1 guy and win a title.

I have my suspicions that Ferrari may work out some deal with McLaren to trade Kimi for Alonso. Kimi is too quiet doesn't give a crap about nothing and just wants to race. Your right Alonso is like Michael he needs to be number 1. Hamilton is the next Schumacher and McLaren has to much invested in the kid to unload him even if he pulls the same stunt in disobeying team orders for the next 6 races.

There's an article over at Autosport that says Hamilton and Ron Dennis got into an over the radio shouting match which caused Dennis to throw his headphones in disgust when he disobeyed him. Hamilton later apologized but this is quickly becoming Senna vs Prost II. I think Ron got misjudged Lewis' early rise into F1 and it's now apparent it's biting him in the ass.

I agree with you regarding Vettel but I always though Scott did a very good job with the equipment they gave him. Last year he had good pace in a crap car and was consistent. This year I think he sensed the team was looking to show him the door and it looks like it may have affected his track performance this year.