Test Drive Unlimited Connectivity woes...

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

RandyM
Starting 5
Starting 5

Test Drive Unlimited Connectivity woes...

Post by RandyM »

Well, that was a tough night.

It seems that sometimes you just cannot connect with a game if a particular person is in it. killedthadeus and I were never able to hook up. I did, however get some good racing in with teal and another guy (sorry I forgot the gamertag).

In doing so, I did some web research on connectivity issues.

It seems that when you go to a populated place, you are more likely to be running into server congestion and partitioned into separate servers (and hence not see each other in free drive mode). In our case I could even enter the DSP club house and not see the other 2 guys there, nor could they see me!

So here are the tips that will mostly alleviate difficulty in finding and staying connected with each other.

Three methods for connecting.
1. Go to your club. Pros are obvious. Cons are that our club is in Honolulu, which might have more server congestion than some other remote corner of the island.
2. Someone goes to a less busy part of the island. Everyone there hunts him down using the "Key Locations" filter on the map, and selecting friends. If you can warp to the person's location, and get him listed in the local free ride area, you can press left on the d-pad to get to the free ride players and LOCK that player, meaning he's going to be locked in the same session with you so you don't lose him.
3. Start a PRIVATE multiplayer race, and use the XBox dashboard friends panel to specifically invite people to the race.

I did get into a funky state where I could see the cars of killedthadeus and naples driving around in the parking lot of the club house, but they were REALLY REALLY choppy (like one update per second at best). And although I could see their cars chopping around, I couldn't see them in free ride.

Bottom line is that when TDU connects, racing is a lot of fun,but it seems getting all of us together is more trouble than its worth sometimes :(

Randy

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Theo's had prblems connecting to other individuals as well. Have you both checked your router's NAT via the connection test in the systems blade? We've had issues with folks having moderate or strict NATs. Setting an assigned IP address for the 360 and then putting it in a DMZ generally solves this problem.

Sometimes certain users are like oil and water and just can't coexist is a multiplayer room together. Making sure you have an open NAT is the first step.

Free-ride has a lot of connectivity issues even after the big patch. We've done a lot of intraclub racing, or set up a private MP room and sent out invites for racing. What is there to do in free-ride besides one on one challenges?

RandyM
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by RandyM »

I rebooted my router, put the XBox into the NAT's DMZ and of course restarted the XBox and TDU. No difference.

But it was only him. I had no problems with Teal or anyone else. Naples I only had problems with, I think, because he was in the same session with thad.

Randy

RandyM
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by RandyM »

The only reason I mention the free-ride lock is hoping that by doing a lock on another user it might do something server-side to switch you onto the same server so that you can then find each other and connect ... but it seems not to be the case.

Randy

Theo
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Theo »

I don't have any problems with anyone other than Scoop and Randy. When I get home I will see if I can find out what is going on.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Theo wrote:I don't have any problems with anyone other than Scoop and Randy. When I get home I will see if I can find out what is going on.
Don't worry...everyone has problems with Scoop! :lol:
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Actually there have been two or three people who have had problems connecting with Scoop in multiplayer rooms, and who turned out to have NAT-related problems, including yourself Spooky!

Once he or i were able to get those individuals to set their 360 in a DMZ and got 'open NAT' in their connection test in the system blade, they've had no problems connecting to Scoop, including yourself, Spooky!

Theo
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Theo »

As it turns out, my NAT was set to moderate. I changed it to open. Hopefully, this will fix things.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I just tested my xbox network settings, and my NAT came back as 'open.' Does that mean I'm in the clear? I have not explicitly set my 360 to a DMZ in my router settings.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Theo wrote:As it turns out, my NAT was set to moderate. I changed it to open. Hopefully, this will fix things.
Yeah, that would just about do it! :D I'm sure that's the source of the problems, Theo.

Theo
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Theo »

Good racing tonight Naples, Ring. I need a ton of practice with the A class cars.