PS3 Impressions Yes Another One....

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

'Haze' delayed again. Not good.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50910

black_dynamite
Mario Mendoza

Post by black_dynamite »

I don't really understand all the hype about Haze. To me this game looks like a mediocre first person shooter but there are many PS3 users that are hyping this game to be huge. I'm just not convinced that this game is going to be any good and I won't be surprised that this game will get dismal reviews. Many of th early impressions are saying that the game has lackluster AI and I'm sure that's the primary reason the game has been delayed yet again. I can't say I expect too much of this mediocre looking game.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

black_dynamite wrote:I don't really understand all the hype about Haze. To me this game looks like a mediocre first person shooter but there are many PS3 users that are hyping this game to be huge. I'm just not convinced that this game is going to be any good and I won't be surprised that this game will get dismal reviews. Many of th early impressions are saying that the game has lackluster AI and I'm sure that's the primary reason the game has been delayed yet again. I can't say I expect too much of this mediocre looking game.
The only reason it's getting hype from the Sony fanboys is the fact that it used to be coming out for the 360 as well and now it's a PS3 exclusive.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

ScoopBrady wrote:The only reason it's getting hype from the Sony fanboys is the fact that it used to be coming out for the 360 as well and now it's a PS3 exclusive.
Are those the same fanboys who bash the 360 because its a shooter platform? :D
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

It's only a timed-exclusive isnt it?

I think there's more interest in Killzone2 which is supposedly due this year and now, Resistance 2, which had some preview recently.

There should be other games, including games which aren't FPS, to be excited about this year.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

The FPS genre is so incredibly overly saturated that I could care less if we don't see another shooter for a year.

I never thought Haze would live up to the hype in any case.

FatPitcher
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FatPitcher »

I finally got a PS3....for work. So far I have bought only Super Stardust HD. I'll be checking out the top titles on Gamefly. I expect that I'll play through a lot of them once and not buy them, but we will see.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I love opening up new systems... makes me feel like a kid again. Now, when I'll actually get some time to play the thing is another matter. I've got Uncharted here and Warhawk on the way from Gamefly.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Slumberland wrote:I love opening up new systems... makes me feel like a kid again. Now, when I'll actually get some time to play the thing is another matter. I've got Uncharted here and Warhawk on the way from Gamefly.
I also love that feeling...especially if you have been "saving up" for it :) Taking it out of the box and treating it like a new member of the family :). Good stuff.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

Does anyone know whether there is a PS3 controller that is near the same size or form as a 360 controller?
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

TheGamer wrote:Does anyone know whether there is a PS3 controller that is near the same size or form as a 360 controller?
Nope, and there are no third party bluetooth controllers either. The only wireless controllers available come with a usb dongle. However, if you are skilled enough, you could transform a 360 controller into a working PS3 controller.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/01/how- ... ontroller/

Good luck with that.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I've had mine home and setup for about a week now and feel like maybe it's time I chime in with some impressions.

As stated by many, the first thing you'll notice is the overall size of this thing. It's BIG! Neither good nor bad IMO, just something you notice right off the bat.

Not a fan at all of the SixAxis controller as it just feels too light and cheap in your hands. Plus I'm a huge fan of rumble / force feedback. I picked up a Dual Shock 3 off of ebay (49.99 shipping) and really, REALLY like it. Feels just like the Dual Shock 2 plus it's wireless. Great piece of gear there!

Obviously Sony's online interface while functional, is just nowhere close to where it should be. Especially when compared to XBL. Your friends list feels tacked on and there's no PC internet interface (at least that I know of).

I really like MS's online pc interface and how you can message your friends, see who's online, etc etc. Hopefully Sony incorporates something like that as well.

I have the original 60GB version that has fully functional PS2 backward compatibility. I've played a couple of games of Madden 08 for the PS2 online and it's been flawless. Big plus for Sony here, IMO.

I've also checked out God of War 2 and a couple other of my top notch PS2 games and they all run great.

I really love the game Uncharted. To the point that it's probably my favorite single player experience over the past several years. This game just seems to take me back to where gaming was all about just having fun. I'm really hoping we see more titles of this caliber on a steady basis.

Overall I'm pleased with the system. However, I wouldn't miss it if I didn't have it. Not in the same way as I would if you took my 360 away, that's for sure.

I really only jumped on this because it was the original 60GB that's been discontinued and I hadn't seen one anywhere else since before the Holidays.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I think Sony has talked about integration of the XMB friends list in games.

That and of course Home.

It looks like Burnout Paradise has integrated the XMB Friends List. Someone said Skate has it as well.

You have to pause the game and hit triangle or something like that:

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

More Sony rumors. The first 3 paragraphs were truly confusing:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_ ... op;title;5

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

greggsand wrote:More Sony rumors. The first 3 paragraphs were truly confusing:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_ ... op;title;5
Now that's what you call having a focused strategy and sticking to it. :D

Makes sense to stick with the 40 gig model though. The backwards compatibility issue remains, but I would imagine that if someone is serious enough to drop over $400 for a console, they can afford to hang on to their PS2 which might fetch them only $30 (just guessing).

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Yeah, but upscaling is an issue too. I'd love to be able to play Ico and Colossus on the PS3, but I went for the 40gig model.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Slumberland wrote:Yeah, but upscaling is an issue too. I'd love to be able to play Ico and Colossus on the PS3, but I went for the 40gig model.
Good point. I was always curious about how good PS2 games would look upscaled. Is it a huge jump?

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

I finally bothered to update my PSP firmware and set up the 'Remote Play' feature with my PS3 - man, that stuff is freakin' cool!

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

fanatic wrote:
Slumberland wrote:Yeah, but upscaling is an issue too. I'd love to be able to play Ico and Colossus on the PS3, but I went for the 40gig model.
Good point. I was always curious about how good PS2 games would look upscaled. Is it a huge jump?
I tried NBA Street Vol. 2, Maximo and God of War. All of them looked great.

Specially Street and GOW.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:
fanatic wrote:
I tried NBA Street Vol. 2, Maximo and God of War. All of them looked great.

Specially Street and GOW.
I've been told by some of my friends who own God of War 2 and a PS3. They say it looks damn good and much better than on the PS2.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

seriously, how many ps3 versions do they plan on throwing out there?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_ ... op;title;3

Gamecocks625
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Gamecocks625 »

Do any of you guys play your PS3 on a SDTV? I'm curious as to how it would look on a SD set since I don't have an HDTV.

black_dynamite
Mario Mendoza

Post by black_dynamite »

Gamecocks625 wrote:Do any of you guys play your PS3 on a SDTV? I'm curious as to how it would look on a SD set since I don't have an HDTV.
I used to play PS3 on a SDTV before I got myself an HD monitor it's alright but compared to the 360 on a SDTV it doesn't look as sharp. I thought the 360 looked good even on a SDTV but the PS3 doesn't look as good.

Of course in high def it's a different story as the PS3 looks phenomenal in HD. They really meant for that console to played in HD where as the 360 games look good in both SD and of course in HD.

Gamecocks625
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Gamecocks625 »

black_dynamite wrote:
Gamecocks625 wrote:Do any of you guys play your PS3 on a SDTV? I'm curious as to how it would look on a SD set since I don't have an HDTV.
I used to play PS3 on a SDTV before I got myself an HD monitor it's alright but compared to the 360 on a SDTV it doesn't look as sharp. I thought the 360 looked good even on a SDTV but the PS3 doesn't look as good.

Of course in high def it's a different story as the PS3 looks phenomenal in HD. They really meant for that console to played in HD where as the 360 games look good in both SD and of course in HD.
Yeah, I friend of mine plays his 360 on a SDTV and it still looked good. I guess the PS3 must be optimized for a HDTV, which makes since.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Finally got a Blu-ray from netflix, Rio Bravo. Angie Dickinson is even hotter in hd. It's fun to be able to see the details of the restoration as well, being in the business.