PS3 Impressions Yes Another One....

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

snaz16 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Try turning off "file sharing". No one knows why but when it's enabled it sometimes causes weird problems like the PS3 network settings getting reset and getting dropped from the PSN service.
Where do I find that? I looked all over the settings for the Ps3,and did not see that.
Goto SETTINGS and go all the way to the bottom to NETWORK and then disable MEDIA SHARING.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

Why the 80GB model? Who really needs or wants the extra 20GB, especially when you can just swap it out with any old retail HD for more space? And motostorm may really only be worth a rental. I think resistance would have neen a better game to bundle if you really want to sell the system. More importantly, why keep reminding people of that $599 price point. Your average joe who doesn't keep up on the latest price drops might see the new 80gb model and not realize that he has a choice. He might just figure it's still the same old PS3 and same old price. The Elite 360 isn't even $100 more than the premium and it's hard drive is 6 times as large.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I don't understand either why they're keeping the $599 price tag out there. If anything they should bundle a game with the $499 price.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Yet another Jack Tretton statement that eventually should take another chunk out of his ass:

"Our initial expectation is that sales should double at a minimum," Jack Tretton, chief executive of Sony Computer Entertainment America, said in an interview.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

sportdan30 wrote:I don't understand either why they're keeping the $599 price tag out there. If anything they should bundle a game with the $499 price.
This reminds me that i've got a perfect example of the "average" consumer not knowing what to buy. A good friend of mine has some Best Buy gift cards, so he finally wants to get a next gen system. He had been leaning toward a 360 and asked me my opinion of both systems. I told him to go with the 360 as well because of price and game selection. At first he thought he should buy the elite, just because it's the "best" version, despite the fact that he will never use the movie/tv show download service, he doesn't even have an HDMI input on his TV, and he only occasionally games. Needless to say i convinced him that it would be a waste of money.

That is why i don't understand why Sony is keeping that price point out there. People like my friend might see the two versions and feel that now the 60gb model is somehow outdated. There thinking is that if they added more space it must be because it's necessary. So they once again hold out on the purchase because the $599 price point is still too high.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

jcalvert
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by jcalvert »

I was looking for Sony to implement a price cut with a game, not to introduce another system for the same $599 price point (with or without a game). I just do not get it. I think $499 is still too much for most casual gamers, but $499 with a game may have helped Sony move some systems.

I am not sure what Sony thinks they have to gain by keeping a "high end" version of the PS3. If Sony really wanted to go high end with the $599 system, they should have put in a much larger HDD, included a free game, a free Blu-ray movie, and HDMI cables.
jcalvert
www.calvertgames.com

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Erasing that $599 price from everyones minds should have been their first goal. And to think, they almost did it........ :x

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

Leebo33 wrote:The price cut is official:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6173806.ht ... ws;title;0

That's great and all, but I still don't have the slightest interest in the system. When Sony ponies up with GOW, Halo 3 or a football game that runs at 60 fps, they can get back to me. Until then, it's still a very expensive paperweight.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

seanmac31 wrote:

That's great and all, but I still don't have the slightest interest in the system. When Sony ponies up with GOW, Halo 3 or a football game that runs at 60 fps, they can get back to me. Until then, it's still a very expensive paperweight.
I really can't blame anyone for not buying a console in the first year or two, especially given the prices in this generation. It's going to take the X360 two years to get all of those things you listed. It's taken two fairly jerky versions of Madden and one of NCAA to get to 60fps.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Exactly Leebo. The football games on the 360 have been nothing special at all, until of course this year hopefully. I still remember popping in my launch copy of Madden on the 360 for the very first time a couple years back and saying "I paid over $400 for this cr*p!". Last year, I really thought EA had turned it around, so I purchased Madden again on launch day. What a major disappointment. Now, I know others enjoyed last year's game, but it just bored me. In my eyes, the 360 has been a let down so far in terms of video game football.

We all have different tastes. While one might say the PS3 is an expensive paperweight, I've had some of my best sports videogame experiences ever with The Show, and have watched some absolutely gorgeous movies via the Blu-Ray player.

In the time I owned the 360, it provided many wonderful gaming hours of entertainment, and the same can be said for the PS3 thus far. Why can't we all just pull for the success of all three consoles?

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

pk500 wrote:Yet another Jack Tretton statement that eventually should take another chunk out of his ass:

"Our initial expectation is that sales should double at a minimum," Jack Tretton, chief executive of Sony Computer Entertainment America, said in an interview.

Take care,
PK
Jack is probably a graduate of the Ken Kutaragi school of incredulous comments.....I think that there is something seriously wrong with the people at Sony and the statements they have been making since E3 of last year and even before that....they truly have their heads up their @sses...

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

Leebo33 wrote:
seanmac31 wrote:

I really can't blame anyone for not buying a console in the first year or two, especially given the prices in this generation. It's going to take the X360 two years to get all of those things you listed. It's taken two fairly jerky versions of Madden and one of NCAA to get to 60fps.
Absolutely. Next gen football has basically been a disaster up until now. I just recently introduced my friend to the 360- we had a blast playing NBA 2K7, a blast playing WE and a blast playing MLB 2K7. When we threw in Madden, we looked at each other after a few minutes and reached immediately for another game. It was just dull as rocks. It's doubly disappointing because football games are always system sellers for me, and the next gen offerings have mostly made me miss my old Xbox. (I do think that this problem is about to be remedied this year.)

But as much as the 360 hasn't done much in the football genre, the rest of the library has been good enough to carry it through. And that's basically what I'm saying. Sony can cut prices and that will stop their console from being simply absurd. But they can't go the next step and make it actually desirable without software support. And they just don't have it now. There isn't a single game out there (I don't care about The Show) that I'm interested in that isn't either a) 360 exclusive or b) available on both systems. The sales numbers suggest that I'm not alone on that count.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

sportdan30 wrote:I don't understand either why they're keeping the $599 price tag out there. If anything they should bundle a game with the $499 price.
And on top of it, the 599 console loses hardware-based backwards compatibility. As a 360 owner I'm pretty content with software emulation, although I probably have more PS2 titles I'd be interested in giving a try since my last ps2 busted about a year ago.

Still, what's the point in retaining the high price ceiling while taking away hardware?

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?optio ... 2&Itemid=2

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

GameSeven wrote:
And on top of it, the 599 console loses hardware-based backwards compatibility. As a 360 owner I'm pretty content with software emulation, although I probably have more PS2 titles I'd be interested in giving a try since my last ps2 busted about a year ago.

Still, what's the point in retaining the high price ceiling while taking away hardware?

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?optio ... 2&Itemid=2
Yeah it doesn't make sense, although dropping hardware backwards compatibility might not be all that bad. I've read that it's possible to upscale lower res games to a much higher screen resolution.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Hard drive vendors are apparently phasing out the 60 GB drive so there's a suspicion that the 60 GB SKU will be gone once the inventory runs out.

BTW, I think you get 5 Blu-Ray movies (you may have to send away for them) with a purchase of a Blu-Ray player, including the PS3. But that is a limited time promo.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

So basically you can still pay 599 to get just 20GB's more of HD space and you lose hardware-based BC?

Can't you upgrade the HD in a PS3 with any HD off th shelf and put in a 200GB or even bigger if you wanted?

Why would one not go the 60GB route for 499 and upgrade the HD yourself? Am I missing something here (and no, I'm not being sarcastice)?

black_dynamite
Mario Mendoza

Post by black_dynamite »

It's these sort of things that Sony has been doing in this generation that have been frustrating me as a PS3 owner. I just don't see the sense in introducing a new $599 SKU PS3 when one of the reasons as to why the PS3 hasn't been selling as well as they had hoped was because of the console's price. Sony must really be in la-la land if they believe that the 80GB PS3 is going to sell considering that: 1. You can use a flash drive and upgrade the memory of your PS3 far higher than the 60 or 80 GB available with the system 2. They haven't been able to convince as many people that the PS3 at $599 is a good deal (I think it is but that's just me).

Sony's complete arrogance and stupidity is really making me angry as a PS3 owner. They have a great product here but there are so many people currently working within Sony's game division that are blinded by their arrogance and sheer stupidity that they haven't come to a realization that they are getting owned by both Microsoft and Nintendo. When Microsoft announced that they would launch the 360 in 2005 I thought it was too early for them to do so. Looking back on it now I think it was a brilliant move by Microsoft because now Sony is constantly having to play catch up with Microsoft (this especially holds true with regards to the price of the consoles). Now that Sony has announced that they are reducing the price of the PS3 by $100 what can Microsoft do to counteract Sony? They could do one of two things: 1. They can sit back and do nothing since their all three of their SKUs are cheaper than the cheapest PS3 SKU or 2. They can reduce the price of their console and crush any momentum Sony attempts to build with their announced price drop.

Either way you look at it I have to say Microsoft has Sony completely owned right now. Although I may be jumping to conclusions here but Sony is in a VERY difficult position right now, a position of getting their butts served in console sales (we're all well aware that the PSP is getting served by the DS). How will Sony be able to bounce back and take leadership away from Microsoft in this next gen battle or will they be able to bounce back at all? Only time will tell but it's safe to say that you can't really judge the PS3 right now since it hasn't even been out for a year but man they are really in a tough position of constantly having to try to catch up to Microsoft and I'm not sure if they'll be able to.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

2. They can reduce the price of their console and crush any momentum Sony attempts to build with their announced price drop.
Official announcement expected tomorrow.
Analyst: Xbox 360 Price Cut Imminent

By Kris Graft Print | Send to a friend | Email the editor

UPDATE - Analysts have weighed in on the PlayStation 3 price cut today, with one saying that Microsoft will be cutting the price of all Xbox 360 models this week.
Update: Added Microsoft comments.

Digg this story here.

Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter stated in a note to investors today that Microsoft will announce an Xbox 360 price cut tomorrow at the start of the revamped E3 Media & Business Summit, which takes place all week.

Microsoft is holding its E3 press conference Tuesday evening.

He said that the price cut will affect all three Xbox 360 models. The $299 Core pack will drop to $249; the $399 Premium pack will drop to $349; and the recently released $479 Elite model will drop to $399.

Such a price cut would be a likely move for Microsoft following the PS3 pricing announcement today. Sony dropped the price of the 60GB PS3 from $599 to $499 and announced an 80GB PS3 with MotorStorm bundled for $599. The price drop appears to be in response to lower-than-expected sales of the console.

The drop in PS3 price puts the standard 60-gigger precariously close in price to the top-end Xbox 360 Elite, which is currently priced at $479.

Pachter stated, “…The value proposition for the PS3 is increased at the new lower price point, putting increased pressure on Microsoft to cut the price of its Xbox 360. The 80GB and 60GB PS3 models compare favorably to the 120GB and 20GB Xbox 360 models.”

He added, “Last week, Microsoft announced a slight Xbox 360 shipment shortfall (11.6 million units versus prior guidance of 12 million units through June 30), and we do not believe that the company is prepared to allow Sony to erode its pricing advantage.”

Pachter said that he expects the Xbox 360 to lose some share to the PS3 next year, mainly due to the PS3’s secondary ability to act as a high-def movie player. He expects $250 Nintendo Wii to outpace sales of Xbox 360 and PS3 until the latter consoles come down further in price.

Lazard Capital Markets’ Colin Sebastian said in his own investor note today that such a price cut for the PS3 is likely to generate more consumer interest, but the new $499 price point “still firmly occupies the high end of the current lineup of next-generation video game consoles.”

He added, “…We are encouraged by Sony’s willingness to cut the PS3 retail price less than a year following launch as component and production costs have decreased somewhat.”

Microsoft is still keeping its plans under wraps. "Microsoft has not made any announcements regarding a price cut on Xbox 360," a rep told Next-Gen in an e-mail today.
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?optio ... 9&Itemid=2

jcalvert
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by jcalvert »

wco81 wrote:BTW, I think you get 5 Blu-Ray movies (you may have to send away for them) with a purchase of a Blu-Ray player, including the PS3. But that is a limited time promo.
Correct. I forget the entire list; I saw it on the back of a recent PSM and wrote about it over the weekend. You do get Species for some skin, but nothing else very interesting. Promo runs July 1 - Sep 1.
jcalvert
www.calvertgames.com

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

MS is doing a lot better than Sony but the truth is, X360 could be doing better if their ambitions are to come out on top this generation.

But maybe they will wait to see if Halo3 and GTA4 ignites sales before doing a price cut.

Have there be any price cuts in the fall or after October though?

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

wco81 wrote:MS is doing a lot better than Sony but the truth is, X360 could be doing better if their ambitions are to come out on top this generation.

But maybe they will wait to see if Halo3 and GTA4 ignites sales before doing a price cut.

Have there be any price cuts in the fall or after October though?
Supposedly "analysts" are predicting a 360 price cut in response to Sony's. A $399 Elite price included.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6173837.ht ... op;title;3
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

:shakeshead:

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Good news on the Blu-ray front if what is reported is true

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-974003 ... =cnetfd.mt

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

I believe the numbers but definitely not the reasons. I fail to see how BR has a substantial lead in content - take a look at everything available in both formats and you'll find maybe one or two compelling titles that BR has but not HD, but also vice-versa. The overall count is pretty much neck-and-neck. Actually I've found there are more exclusives on HD that interest me, but that may just be me.

The truth is that both formats are vastly underperforming projections, to the point where some are writing both off already. Take a look at unit sales fo titles in each format - it's astoundingly low.