Which 360 Hockey Game Are You Sticking With?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Which game?

NHL07
61%
NHL2K7
39%
I Play Both Equally
No votes

Total votes: 38

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Which 360 Hockey Game Are You Sticking With?

Post by JackB1 »

Now that the dust has settled, which is you hockey game of choice?

I love the gameplay and fun factor of NHL07, but all the trickle and bouncing puck and garbage goals are starting to bug me. You NEVER see a shot blasted cleanly into the net. I would say that 80% of my goals are tricklers, bouncers or garbage goals. Maybe even more. Also, there is an inordinate amount of 5 hole goals and that is also the easiest way to score on a breakaway or shootout. I am playing on Allstar. Maybe I'll drop down a level and see if the goal variety is better? I would also say that 90% of my games are 2-1 or 3-2 playing with 5 minute periods. I would love to see more 5-1 or 6-4 games, but they are extremely rare.

Could anyone playing 2K7 say if they are getting the types of goals I am not getting in 07?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I still own both but 2K7 is my choice. Better framerate, classic gameplay but I like EA skill stick as well. 2007 has been good for puckheads.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

2k7 all the way. First sports game in years where I played more than one season. Online is a little rough, but that could just be me...

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

Has anyone noticed in NHL 07 how often goals are bunched together? If I score a goal, I generally concentrate hard for the next few minutes and try to do anything to keep the puck out of my zone. This has been an EA 'feature' for years where the AI seems to score a goal right after you get one.

I like the EA version, but feel that they have a ways to go. In both games it is too easy to skate from end to end to the point where I rarely dump and chase. While I have always liked the 2K series, I just got tired of super goalies and the large number of one timers. I also really liked the shot stick in 07 as a change of pace.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

NHL07 for me, I love this years gameplay the new shot stick and best of all Thorne and Clement are back albeit in a virtual way. The game is just plain fun and that's what's important to me. :D

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

As a lifelong player and coach it was tough for me to get away from the more "realistic" gameplay of 2K, but i found enough realism in 07 and far more fun in that game which is why i stuck there. 10 games into my second Bruins season and still having a great time with it. It has taken me back to the NHL94 days in college where i couldn't wait to play.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Are you 07 guys seeing the same large number of tricklers, bouncing puck and garbage goals I am? Is this just something that you accepted as part of the package? I would love to just rip a slapper cleanly past the goalie into the corner fo the net, but that is next to impossible for me in this game.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

JackB1 wrote:Are you 07 guys seeing the same large number of tricklers, bouncing puck and garbage goals I am? Is this just something that you accepted as part of the package? I would love to just rip a slapper cleanly past the goalie into the corner fo the net, but that is next to impossible for me in this game.
There are some ugly goals, but it is certainly very possible to score on clean slappers or wristers. I usually get at least one of these a game, and I got three in the last game I played.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I'm no hockey junky, but I'm die=hard 2k7. I picked up 07 on the cheap and just didn't enjoy it nearly as much as 2K Sports offering.
GT = Wilk5280

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Which 360 Hockey Game Are You Sticking With?

Post by MizzouRah »

JackB1 wrote:Now that the dust has settled, which is you hockey game of choice?

I love the gameplay and fun factor of NHL07, but all the trickle and bouncing puck and garbage goals are starting to bug me. You NEVER see a shot blasted cleanly into the net. I would say that 80% of my goals are tricklers, bouncers or garbage goals. Maybe even more. Also, there is an inordinate amount of 5 hole goals and that is also the easiest way to score on a breakaway or shootout. I am playing on Allstar. Maybe I'll drop down a level and see if the goal variety is better? I would also say that 90% of my games are 2-1 or 3-2 playing with 5 minute periods. I would love to see more 5-1 or 6-4 games, but they are extremely rare.

Could anyone playing 2K7 say if they are getting the types of goals I am not getting in 07?
NHL 07

I see shots blasted cleanly into the net all the time. All I can say is you're not aiming your shots correctly. I will agree, if I kept a goal chart alot of them would be 5 hole goals where the goalie does not put his stick down or is late in reacting.

To get more goal variety you have to play on 10 minute periods.

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

NHL 07 without question. It's funny that you would be driven away from NHL 07 due to the lack of goal variety, as I've found the goal variety to be one of the ways that EA's title is dramatically superior to 2K's.

I like both hockey games this year, but NHL 07 would be my pick for sports game of the year. It's not the most realistic game (although I think it's undersold in that department- the game plays better once you learn how to play it properly, with more cycling in the offensive zone and few shots on goal), but it's the most fun I've had with any sports title.

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

interesting thread.. i am about to buy a 360 and i was trying to figure out what game to buy. So i figured i would get NHL07 having never played next gen i probably would love it since the pc version is fun to me, but then i was thinking how 2k might be a great game too. tough call, but i think NHL07 is fun plus semi-realistic so it a well rounded choice.
Last edited by kicko on Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

I've seen & scored on plenty of shots in NHL 07.. not to say there arent any "garbage goals", but I actually like the "bouncing puck" & trickling behind the goalie..

still keeping both :D

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Kicko.....realize that NHL07 on the PC is nothing like NHL07 for the 360.
But if you liked the PC version, you will surely love the 360 version.

kicko wrote:interesting thread.. i am about to buy a 360 and i was trying to figure out what game to buy. So i figured i would get NHL07 having never played next gen i probably would love it since the pc version is fun to me, but then i was thinking how 2k might be a great game too. tough call.

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

i knew that jack but i figure the overall gameplay or "realism" would be similar. yes i am buying NHL07

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

NHL 07 for me. There's nothing wrong with 2k7 but I've played that series since the first 2k on the Dreamcast. 07 feels fresh to me and I can't go back to having no shot/skill stick. The goal variety is much better IMO too. The new 2k7 camera also quickly lost its luster for me. When I first played it I loved it but after about 15 games I started hating it.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

I dont see how increasing period length gives you more goal variety? I am not talking about goal variety on a game by game basis...I am talking overall since I started playing this game.

I think some here are misunderstanding what I am saying here. There certainly is a lot of variety in the way that the puck ends up in the net. But the problem I am having is that the majority of them the goalie gets a piece of and then it trickles in the net. In real hockey, most of the goals go cleanly in past the goalie. I dont think I have played ONE game yet of NHL07, where at least one goal by either side wasn't one of these tricklers.
This just doesn't happen in real world hockey at nearly the same rate as it does in this game. I know a lot of this is a by-product of the puck physics that EA has injected into the game and there isn't much you can do about it. I just wish it didn't occur nearly as often as it does.

MizzouRah wrote: To get more goal variety you have to play on 10 minute periods.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

JackB1 wrote:But the problem I am having is that the majority of them the goalie gets a piece of and then it trickles in the net.
Honestly, Jack, not in my games. Definitely not a majority, though they certainly happen. I score cleanly on wristers and slappers frequently, and when I beat the goalie on breakaways the goalie almost never touches the puck. I would echo an earlier sentiment to work on your shot selection.

CPU tends to net their breakaways on me pretty cleanly too.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

The tricklers do happen too often, no doubt about that. Adjusting shot power down may help that some, but you can go too low and end up with really weak shots overall.

But many of the goals I've scored have beaten the goalie cleanly, either with wristers or slappers or beating the goalie on a breakaway. One thing I've notices is that it really helps a ton on wristers to 'stretch' the stick out before releasing, by whipping the stick all the way to one side and then up (or down, depending which direction you are going) rather than just snapping it straight up. When in the high slot, or at the top of the circles (my favorite shooting spot), I've scored a number of goals this way that smack off the post and in, or practically bust a hole in the net, and the goalie never had a chance. Esepcially with Ovechkin!! :lol:

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

As I've mentioned before and as anyone who played me in the league knows, I am definitely the king of the slop goals. However I have seen plenty of legit ones offline as well as way too many dribblers.

I voted 2k, but I think by the end of the season all that will remain for me will be NHL 07 PSP. Man, I love that game. With the right sliders I'd hold it up against anything out there in terms of stat realism, etc., not to mention just pure fun. I've seen it around now for $19.95, which is a stunning bargain. If anyone is having slider trouble I'd be happy to post mine.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Sorry, wrong choice of words. To get more goals per game, obviously playing 10 min periods will do that for you.

I think 8-9 would be perfect, but we don't have that option unfortunetly.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

2K7, and framerate is the biggest reason.

Al

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Great tip on the wristers, Zep. I will try "aiming" better and see if that helps. But regarding shot power, I would think increasing it would cause more shots to go in cleanly without trickling..no? I guess you're thinking is that the weaker shots will just be held cleanly by the goalie, without any dribbling afterwards? But that might also make it too hard for me to score.
Zeppo wrote: One thing I've notices is that it really helps a ton on wristers to 'stretch' the stick out before releasing, by whipping the stick all the way to one side and then up (or down, depending which direction you are going) rather than just snapping it straight up.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

JackB1 wrote:Great tip on the wristers, Zep. I will try "aiming" better and see if that helps. But regarding shot power, I would think increasing it would cause more shots to go in cleanly without trickling..no? I guess you're thinking is that the weaker shots will just be held cleanly by the goalie, without any dribbling afterwards? But that might also make it too hard for me to score.
I haven't really messed with it much, but I seem to remember a while ago on some other site somebody claiming that lowering the power some helps get rid of some of the tricklers, at least the ones that roll over the goalie's shoulders. I don't really know! Fell free to experiment on your own!

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

played 2 games last nite and tried concentrating on my aiming more and doing the "sweeping/snap shot" when I could and I did score one goal that went cleanly into the corner on a snap shot...from your favorite spot, Zep, the top of the circles, so I was a little encouraged. But unfortunately only 2 of 8 goals for both me and the AI were clean goals. 6 of the 8 were tricklers. I will keep trying, but unless I am doing something really wrong, this is just a part of the game you have to accept. I would like to play online against any of you guys who claim otherwise, so I can see what kind of goals you guys score. But for me, it's still "bouncing, trickling and gargage city".

I still love this game, but I feel this is the area, that if they can fix for next year, along with adding more defensive controls, will make this game even better. I hope EA builds on what they have done with this game and don't redo everything.