OT: New Hip

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: New Hip

Post by HipE »

It's finally my turn to make one of these posts!

Introducing Jack Calder, born 10/23/06, 8 pounds 10 ounces

Jack had a rough entry into the world, as his Mom pushed for 4 1/2 hours with no luck in getting him out. He was stuck in her pelvis, unable to make the turn around her tailbone, and had to be pulled out by forceps, breaking his Mom's tailbone in the process. He came out limp and not breathing, and his APGAR score was only 1 at both 1 min and 5 min after birth. He was intubated immediately after delivery, which actually ended up causing one of his lungs to tear, and also given chest compressions to try to get his heart rate up. After five minutes of not breathing on his own and having a very weak pulse, his was given epinephrine, after which his heart rate went up and he finally started to breathe. He was immediately taken away to the neonatal intensive care unit where his IV, feeding tube, oxygen cannula, chest monitors and stomach lines were put in, and we weren't even able to see him for the first time until a couple of hours after he was born. It was obviously a very scary period of time, I don't think anybody expects to see your newborn on a table with a breathing tube down his throat and receiving CPR, only to have him taken away from you. We called our parents to tell them they were now grandparents not even knowing what he weighed or how long he was, or even what he looked like.

Jack ended up spending ten days in intensive care. We weren't able to hold him until two days after he was born, and our first feedings were just to add milk to a syringe and let it run through his feeding tube up his nose and into his stomach. His lung fully healed after three days, but his oxygen cannula stayed in for his entire stay, as did his IV for his antibiotics. It was quite a challenge to feed him and hold him and change him during his stay, one of us would handle the baby, while the other would handle all of his wires and cords. I don't think we really felt like we were parents during the first couple of days, but the care he received that we couldn't provide was excellent. We ended up staying in a hotel inside of the hospital for his entire stay, and his nurses would call us whenever he would wake up during the night so we could make the trek to his room to feed him and change him.

Jack has been home now for five days and things couldn't be going any better. He's your normal newborn baby with a huge appetite, thinks nighttime is daytime, and brings us both so much joy. Even though he didn't have the ideal start to life, we are so thankful that he received such great care at a wonderful hospital, and was able to make it home with us eventually happy and healthy and no worse for the wear.

One other thing that was pretty cool at the time- we found out that my wife was pregnant just two days after the Steelers won the Super Bowl. It was definitely a week I will never forget!

BBReBozo
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by BBReBozo »

Good looking kid! Many congratulations.

Oh, and I don't know what I was thinking. You don't look anything like Horschack.
but really, this is 2004, and nearly everything is considered to be gay now

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

awww... what a cute little guy...

congrats! best of luck to you & the misses...

glad after all that trauma that everything turned out ok...

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Hip:

Congrats! What a rough ride -- glad the cute lad is doing better! Mom feeling OK, too? Hope so.

I like the middle name. Did you pick it as wishful thinking for the hardware upon which Malkin's name will be engraved next June? :)

All the best, man.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Wow, amazing story! Congratulations and all good luck and health to the little one; I can't imagine what that must have been like for you and your wife. Tremendous!

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

May God bless him!

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

So cute! Congrats, you are going to have your hands full for many years :)

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

pk500 wrote:I like the middle name. Did you pick it as wishful thinking for the hardware upon which Malkin's name will be engraved next June? :)
LOL. That's the first thing I thought of when Hip sent me a message with his name the other day.

Congrats to the HipE family. It's always great when you bring another Steelers' fan into the world. :D

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

Congrats...great looking boy! :D

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

pk500 wrote:Hip:

Congrats! What a rough ride -- glad the cute lad is doing better! Mom feeling OK, too? Hope so.

I like the middle name. Did you pick it as wishful thinking for the hardware upon which Malkin's name will be engraved next June? :)

All the best, man.

Take care,
PK

You know it! Jack had the fortune (or misfortune) of being born right after Malkin's NHL debut, and only a year after Crosby was Calder runner up. Not to mention Mario is also a past winner. I hope my wife doesn't see this though- she doesn't follow hockey and I sold her on the name by it being unique.

And thanks to everyone for the well wishes. It was pretty surreal to spend 18 hours in the delivery room with just my wife and I, a doctor and a nurse, only to end up having the baby pulled out five minutes later with 14 doctors and nurses in the room. Jack is doing great now and Mom is doing very well other than being pretty uncomfortable sitting down. Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done to treat that, and the healing process is 4-6 months.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

What, no Jack Siam? :lol:

Congrats Hip! Welcome to the best club in the world.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

if he really wanted to go with a great player, i would have given the name of Jack Bossy or Jack Potvin :lol:

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Congrats, Hip. I'm glad that everything turned out okay after such a terrible ordeal, and hope your wife makes a speedy recovery.

LOL at Scoop. Maybe Siam will be the godfather? :wink:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Brando70 wrote:Congrats, Hip. I'm glad that everything turned out okay after such a terrible ordeal, and hope your wife makes a speedy recovery.

LOL at Scoop. Maybe Siam will be the godfather? :wink:
Will you please use some CommonSense here? :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Congratulations, HipE! And I'm glad you are in smoother sailing with the little guy now! All the best to you, mom, and Jack!

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Congratulations! Wow, what an experience you, your wife, and your son endured. I can't even imagine going through that ordeal. Happy to hear your son and wife are doing well.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Congrats HipE!!!
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

Congratulations - I'm glad to hear you are all doing well after such a harrowing experience.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Congrats, Hip! We've had two very rough deliveries, and they can be scary...but that...wow! Best to your wife as well as she recovers.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Congrats Hip... Glad to hear of a happy ending to your tumultuous experience.

-G7

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Don't know if I believe that Hip changed diapers. :P

Congratulations and best wishes to your family.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am sure you guys felt like the 1st two days were an eternity but glad everything turned out fine for your family. Congratulations. Looks like Hockey is the sport to follow this season in steel town :wink:

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Congrats! :)
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Awesome! Congratulations...Cute kid.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Damn, that's a hellova story. Glad everything turned out ok...congrats!