Official PS3 thread (Part Deux)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Official PS3 thread (Part Deux)

Post by Jared »

Let's try this again. And please...keep this thread civil.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

Well I have one reserved, but for the life of me I don't know why. I am always a day one console adopter...been that way since the Saturn, SNES, and every console since.

The technology seems great which is the main reason I will own one, but looking at the launch titles, there are only one or two games that are not coming out or are already out on the 360.

Usually every new console launch I will get about 7 games to go with it, but so far I can only see me picking up Resistance Fall of Man for it. On the other hand, I have 6 games reserved along with my Wii.

For people who don't own a 360, I can see how this will be an exciting time, as you will be playing a lot of cool new games in just over a month, but for us 360 owners, it's hard to get excited about Blazing Angels, Oblivion, and Madden 07 on the PS3. A lot of the really good new games like Call of Duty 3, Rainbow 6 Vegas, and Need For Speed Carbon are coming out at the same time that they are on the PS3. I will be purchasing all of these games on the 360 for the simple fact that I know multiplayer on the 360 will be rock solid and there are huge questions as to how Sony's online system is going to work. I'll stick with Microsoft's tried and true formula.

The one game I am most looking forward to on the PS3 is MLB The Show 2007. I salivate just thinking about it. I hope they leave the game intact and just give it the graphical upgrade it deserves for the next gen system. We've already seen EA ruin Madden and NCAA on the next gen consoles so let's hope Sony doesn't tamper with the gameplay of The Show.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Badgun wrote:The one game I am most looking forward to on the PS3 is MLB The Show 2007. I salivate just thinking about it. I hope they leave the game intact and just give it the graphical upgrade it deserves for the next gen system. We've already seen EA ruin Madden and NCAA on the next gen consoles so let's hope Sony doesn't tamper with the gameplay of The Show.
I definitely agree (and I know Diablo is now your best friend for bringing it up). :lol:

I likely will not get a PS3 anytime soon...but then again, I said the same thing about the 360 up until about a month before the release. Money is fairly tight these days, so I certainly won't be buying a 600 dollar machine, but I may after the first of the year (if one is to be found without a ridiculous markup), just so I can play The Show in February when it will be released.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

PS3 Online - How it works

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=68677

Noteables:

Again, those familiar with Xbox Live on the Xbox 360 won't find this terribly surprising, but it's worth noting that the system does show you friend sign-ins and new messages received in overlays on top of the game you're currently playing - just little notification windows which pop up to tell you about something happening with your friends list. At present, however, there's no system for actually reading or responding to messages while you're still in the game, as the operating system doesn't take resources away from games in order to do that - however, according to Harrison, that functionality may well appear in an OS update, presumably based on whether users actually express a desire for it or not

Oh - and it's all free, too. The only place you'll be asked to fork over a penny is when you purchase something in the PlayStation Store - all of the online services, from sign-up right through to voice and video chat, are free, as is normal multiplayer gaming. There's no equivalent of the Xbox Live Gold account, where you're expected to pay extra for a further tier of services - the only things you'll pay money for are paid-for downloadable content, or subscriptions to premium services like massively multiplayer games.

We're not going to talk in much depth about PlayStation Store, because what we saw was still undoubtedly being worked on frantically to prepare for the November launch. However, there are a few elements that it's worth talking about - the first of which is the Wallet, which lies at the heart of how you buy things on the Store. Unlike Nintendo and Microsoft's offerings, Sony doesn't hide the price of items behind an arbitrary "points" scheme - instead, everything simply lists a price in your local currency, so European types will see a Euro price, British people will see prices in Pounds Sterling, and so on.

Alongside the free and paid-for game content, the store will also play host to a wide range of new titles developed specifically for download (the first of which, fl0w, was shown off at TGS - dozens more PlayStation Store exclusive titles are being worked on around the world thanks to an initiative which Sony launched at GDC last year) - and as Ken Kutaragi revealed at TGS last month, it'll also be possible to buy PSone and PS2 classics you missed out on, as well as a selection of PSP games, from the PlayStation Store, and download them directly to your PS3.

Sony has some way to go before proving to people that it can do a comprehensive online gaming service. However, what we've seen is very promising. Account creation and management, buddy lists and various types of chat appear to be working just fine, the interface is simple and elegant, and the PlayStation Store, even at this early stage, looks like being one aspect of the service which will be a genuine improvement over Microsoft's offering, Xbox Live Marketplace - which is well-stocked, but has a terrible user interface that struggles to cope with the amount of content now available, and has only been marginally improved by recent updates.
GT = Wilk5280

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

dp
Last edited by Wilk5280 on Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GT = Wilk5280

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Nice internet connection there Boom.

backbreaker
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by backbreaker »

I've paid off my pre-order premium addittion, order HDMI to HDMI cables from monoprice.com 10ft for $20 bucks. Games, the launch titles will be announced on 10/19/06 at the gamers day in SanFran Meteron(Sony store) I'm looking forward Resistance, Motorstom( dec. at the latest) FN Rd. 3, Madden(if the reports are right gang tacklin, advanced physics and X360 problems rectified) ect. Pelican makes a usb to controller for PS2 games to played, so Guitar Heroes II on the PS3 with a $5.00 adapter.

Blu-Ray is cool for me, if doesn't win, I can still watch them on the PS3, so its a win win for me. I can wait on the winner and still have HiDef movies. And Like WCO stated that games are using the addittional storage space as well.

I know some don't like the controller(sixaxis) but I'm on board and it seems like plenty of games are using it as an "OPTIONAL" feature. Madden is using to some degree just like Wii controls, Blazing Angels, Fight Night Rd 3 its the best control system for a boxing game as far as movement goes can we say bobbing and weaving.

I just look at it like this, with the PS3, their is no need too compress audio. With HDMI, you get uncompress full "LOSS LESS" audio. So game makers and movie makers can go willy nilly with audio, Resistance developer stated that the game uses over 1Gb of audio all uncompressed, and other developers like that they don't have too sacrifice on audio. Just think of MLB the show 07 with LOSS LESS audio all the ambient things we get now, multiply by 10. 50Gb to make A/V can't be a bad thing and I welcome it.

I would love for this thread to be filled with positive post and no one has too do any comparisons. It is what it is, some like PS3 and Some like X360 can we keep this one on the PS3.

I gaurantee you that PSP sales will go up, once people realize they will be able to stream all their media from the PS3 HDD and watch it on the PSP. It will be cool to watch a sitcom on your toilet or in a hotel room or thousands a miles away.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Was there this amount of silence before the 360 launch?

It sure seems quiet with a month to go. Too quiet.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I'll believe physics on Madden or any other EA game when I see it first. That's on any system, X360, PS3 or PC.

Uncompressed or lossless game audio over DD 5.1? I don't know if it's worth it.

PS3 and Blu-Ray will support TruHD and Master Audio or whatever Dolby and DTS are calling their lossless 7.1 formats. But you need a receiver with those decoders and/or HDMI 1.3 ports, just like the PS3 has.

Lossless audio will require some great speakers (not those HT in a box setups) and maybe movie soundtracks really won't do lossless justice. Maybe it's mostly of interest for music Blu-Ray discs like concerts or SACD.

Also, are we sure that there will be an HDMI port on the back of the PS3 or do you require one of those custom connectors which break out into HDMI or Component or S-Video or whatever?

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

backbreaker wrote:It will be cool to watch a sitcom on your toilet or in a hotel room or thousands a miles away.
Just last week I was on a toilet... in a hotel room... thousands of miles away and thought if I could I could just stream my DVR's collection of old Golden Girls reruns to the PSP's 4.3 inch screen, my life would be sublime.

Then I woke up in a cold sweat... :wink:

-G7

reeche
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by reeche »

JRod wrote:Was there this amount of silence before the 360 launch?

It sure seems quiet with a month to go. Too quiet.
Well no killer App. $600. And very very limited supply will do that.

I most likely will buy the Ps3 someday. Just not for a long bit until the price drops. The PSP taught me a hard lesson.

This isn't Ps3 hate. Just financial realities for me.
http://www.whas11.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=49293&catId=49
---Lend a ***** a pencil--- Context?

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

GameSeven wrote:
backbreaker wrote:It will be cool to watch a sitcom on your toilet or in a hotel room or thousands a miles away.
Just last week I was on a toilet... in a hotel room... thousands of miles away and thought if I could I could just stream my DVR's collection of old Golden Girls reruns to the PSP's 4.3 inch screen, my life would be sublime.

Then I woke up in a cold sweat... :wink:

-G7
LOL :lol:
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

backbreaker
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by backbreaker »

I fixed the link. All this means PK, is the computer claims are true full fledge PC capabilities through linux. and a softward developement kit access to the Cell processor for homebrew to make games and other applications.

Its official per terrasoft solutions

yellow dog 5.0

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/news/ ... 0-17.shtml

couple of tidbits

Under basic agreement with SCEI, Terra Soft was granted a unique opportunity to develop and bring to market a complete Linux OS for the Sony PLAYSTATION 3. In development of Yellow Dog Linux v5.0, Terra Soft integrated and enhanced code from Barcelona Supercomputing Center, Sony Group, and Fedora in order to offer the following:
- kernel 2.6.16
- gcc 3.4.4 and glibc 2.4
- Cell SDK 1.1
- OpenOffice.org 2.0.2
- FireFox 1.5.0 and Thunderbird 1.5.0
- Nautilus 2.1.4

... and a suite of Personal Accessories, Development Tools; Sound & Video, Internet, and Networking applications.

A single-click installer enables absolutely anyone to install without instruction. Post-install, the default suite of applications presents an intuitive, self-guided means of exploring Linux without the confusion of multiple applications in the same family. An Advanced installer mode enables selection from greater than fifteen hundred packages, as is expected from a complete Linux distribution.

PLAYSTATION 3 is an advanced computer system designed to provide next generation computer entertainment contents in the home, incorporating the state-of-the-art Cell microprocessor with super computer like power.

As a guest of IBM at the annual SC2006 tradeshow, Nov 13-16, Tampa, Florida, Terra Soft will showcase Yellow Dog Linux v5.0, Y-HPC v2.0 beta, and Y-Bio v1.1. Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 for PLAYSTATION 3 will be made available through YDL.net Enhanced accounts, through the Terra Soft on-line Store, retailers, and public mirrors world-wide.
Last edited by backbreaker on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

backbreaker wrote:Its official per terrasoft solutions

yellow dog 5.0

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/ne...06-10-17.shtml

couple of tidbits

Under basic agreement with SCEI, Terra Soft was granted a unique opportunity to develop and bring to market a complete Linux OS for the Sony PLAYSTATION 3. In development of Yellow Dog Linux v5.0, Terra Soft integrated and enhanced code from Barcelona Supercomputing Center, Sony Group, and Fedora in order to offer the following:
- kernel 2.6.16
- gcc 3.4.4 and glibc 2.4
- Cell SDK 1.1
- OpenOffice.org 2.0.2
- FireFox 1.5.0 and Thunderbird 1.5.0
- Nautilus 2.1.4
... and a suite of Personal Accessories, Development Tools; Sound & Video, Internet, and Networking applications.

A single-click installer enables absolutely anyone to install without instruction. Post-install, the default suite of applications presents an intuitive, self-guided means of exploring Linux without the confusion of multiple applications in the same family. An Advanced installer mode enables selection from greater than fifteen hundred packages, as is expected from a complete Linux distribution.

PLAYSTATION 3 is an advanced computer system designed to provide next generation computer entertainment contents in the home, incorporating the state-of-the-art Cell microprocessor with super computer like power.

As a guest of IBM at the annual SC2006 tradeshow, Nov 13-16, Tampa, Florida, Terra Soft will showcase Yellow Dog Linux v5.0, Y-HPC v2.0 beta, and Y-Bio v1.1. Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 for PLAYSTATION 3 will be made available through YDL.net Enhanced accounts, through the Terra Soft on-line Store, retailers, and public mirrors world-wide.
Does translate.google.com put this into English? :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

backbreaker,

This is great news. With this, the possibilities are endless. I do however wonder if Linux will be running on top of an emulator or will if have direct access to the hardware(I have not read the article).

FYI - your link is broken

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Why would it have to be emulated? Sounds like they ported the kernel and there is a Cell SDK. Isn't the point of Linux that it's easily ported to any and all architectures?

Anyways, practically what this means is that you could surf on the thing when you're not gaming. If the output to a progressive HDTV is good enough to make text legible that is.

On another forum, I think they said the XMB interface is written in Linux.

For gaming, it would be nice if they just support keyboard and mouse widely. Of course they want to push their controller for gaming but they should have no reason to block developers from supporting the K/M combo.

MS doesn't want consoles to displace use of computers in the home in any way. Sony wants to encourage it. So they should allow if not encourage K/M support, instead of prevent it like MS is supposedly doing.

backbreaker
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by backbreaker »

video of enlightment, early application

http://enlightenment.sourceforge.net.../e17_video.avi

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

wco81 wrote:Why would it have to be emulated?
Sony might not want to give us direct access to the hardware. Their version of linux for the PS2 was this way. They were affraid it would somehow encourage piracy.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

wco81 wrote:Anyways, practically what this means is that you could surf on the thing when you're not gaming. If the output to a progressive HDTV is good enough to make text legible that is.
This could be a big plus for me, as one of the (few?) guys that doesn't own a laptop. I'd only buy one for living room browsing/surfing...and if I was going to do that, may as well get a next-gen gaming machine with it.

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

webdanzer wrote:
wco81 wrote:Anyways, practically what this means is that you could surf on the thing when you're not gaming. If the output to a progressive HDTV is good enough to make text legible that is.
This could be a big plus for me, as one of the (few?) guys that doesn't own a laptop. I'd only buy one for living room browsing/surfing...and if I was going to do that, may as well get a next-gen gaming machine with it.
Not to mention it could be a helluva mythv(www.mythtv.org) frontend... For those that don't know, its an opensource DVR that blows Windows Media Center away.
Last edited by bdunn13 on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Here's a technical discussion:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34668

I remember reading that the Cell, like other modern processors, supports virtualization and security features.

It could be that they offer some access to the Cell but maybe not APIs or some help in accessing the RSX.

Or as some are speculating in that thread, someone would have to write drivers to support the controllers for instance.

But someone is bound to write drivers.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Here's an interesting possiblity:

http://www.ferrago.com/story/8256

We'll see if user mods and other content are really available for free downloads. It could be some fan sites inferring things.

Of course, EA doesn't distribute tools for creating content easily for their games.

At least keyboard support could help with editing NCAA rosters.

Now the question is, will you be able to use the browser which comes with the PS3 to go to roster sites and download them to the hard drive and then load the custom rosters in game?

If the browser Sony bundles doesn't allow downloading or allow access to the parts of the hard disk where game saves are stored, then it's not going to be of much use. Maybe the Firefox port on the Linux distro would let you get rosters and other game saves.

But of course, this would compete with the microtransactions which Sony and other publishers plan. Especially the GT game with downloadable cars and tracks. Of course, they're not going to provide tools to let users create their own cars and tracks, even if they had an easy-to-use tool for creating complex cars and tracks.

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

wco81 wrote: Now the question is, will you be able to use the browser which comes with the PS3 to go to roster sites and download them to the hard drive and then load the custom rosters in game?
I don't think we need to write to that part of the hard drive. However, if we are really running on top of the hardware, even if sony tried to lock that partition, there will be a way to write to it. Hackers always win.

On the other hand its not that important. I have a digital camera that uses a sony memory card... so I can just use that instead of having to go out and buy a $50 memory card and $15 exchange device for ncaa and college hoop rosters(like i had to do with my 360).

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

I said a week or so ago that this wouldn't surprise me at all:

"PS3 Games Already Said to be Filling Blue-Ray Discs"

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/739/739692p1.html

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »