MLB 2K7

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

fightingcamel
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

MLB 2K7

Post by fightingcamel »

http://sports.ign.com/articles/737/737995p1.html

Hopefully we will have a true next-gen baseball game next season.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

That's good news...thanks for the link. Absolutely nothing I'd like more than to have 2 good next gen baseball games this year, with 2k7 and The Show. With the start that the Steelers have gotten off to and the way the Cards are playing, I just wish the games were coming out now.

jondiehl
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jondiehl »

Wow, great news. MVP 05 is still my favorite MLB video game (especially after the '06 mod on my PC version). Now that Kush has hired the guy responsible for that gem, hopefully he can work some of the magic that he used to rewrite/scrap the Triple Play series for EA and do the same for 2k MLB.
XBoxJon
[url=http://live.xbox.com/member/XBoxJon]Gamer Profile[/url]
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-us/profile/MessageCenter/SendMessage.aspx?gt=XBoxJon]Send me a XBL message[/url]

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I was really hoping that something positive was going to surface about this series, and it appears perhaps it has. At least, it sounds like they've hired the right guy with some vision. There's only one way for this game game to go, and it's up.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Thank you for that link!!

Excellent news and considering how 2k sports is doing with hockey and basketball, I have the utmost confidence in them this time around with baseball.

In fact, if it wasn't for exclusive rights, I might have a full library of 2k sports games and very few EA games.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I think this is mostly good news. I hate seeing mention of that 'three year plan' again, but at least MVP was 'good' in year two.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

This all sounds very promising. A couple years ago, I would've put this series up with any of them, but it's really been downhill since. It sounds like it's moving in the right direction again.

Yeah, the "3-year plan" crap is tiresome because after paying $60, you don't want to hear about how it's really all about next year's version. But if the gameplay is the main focus this year, all the extra crap (that we all play for 10 mins. but scream to the high heavens if we don't get) I can get in later editions.

Thought it was interesting that the bigwigs at MLB weren't happy about how the series was going. You would think they wouldn't pay much attention, as long as they got their money.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

AJColossal wrote:Yeah, the "3-year plan" crap is tiresome because after paying $60, you don't want to hear about how it's really all about next year's version.
I hate seeing mention of that 'three year plan' again
Unfortunately this is the nature of the beast. I remember a time when we got roster disks for Tony Larussa instead of a new version each year. The yearly developement cycle in sports games is the biggest cash cow going. When you sharply examine each sports game on a yearly basis we aren't getting much.
Thought it was interesting that the bigwigs at MLB weren't happy about how the series was going. You would think they wouldn't pay much attention, as long as they got their money.
I find that very interesting and not too shocking. MLB2K was not even close to resembling baseball IMO, this guy hits the nail on the head, they have one more chance and probably not just with gamers.

Anyway this guy said everything right, I just hope they can deliver.[/quote]
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

That is tremendous news!

I really like what Brinkman is saying.

How cool is it that a designer hires a hitman to make us the best baseball game?

Thanks Kush!

About fricken time.

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

Yes, great news indeed.

The 3 year plan stuff is what you get when you are forced to release new games every year. The fact that they are supposedly backing away and fixing what was broken in the first place is a very very smart way to go about it. If this is done right it'll be like getting a new game, anyway. There was a lot to fix.
No High Scores:
http://www.nohighscores.com/

TheHiddenTrack
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by TheHiddenTrack »

Now if only EA would get the 2k football guys to fix Madden...we might end up with a top notch basketball, baseball, and football game.
Last edited by TheHiddenTrack on Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Man, I hope this turns out good. I want a good baseball game on the 360. You know damn well tha MLB: The Show 07 (yes I referenced it again DB :) ) will be great on the PS3.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

Diablo-

LOL, believe it or not, I'm probably as big of an MLB: The Show fan as you are, but I don't think we can assume that just because it was great on the current-gen that it will be as good or even better in next-gen. Look what happened to Madden, you know?

Hopefully The Show and 2K deliver, and we have some true next-gen baseball options.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

My two favorite console baseball games were MLB 2k4 and MVP 05. I liked what I read in the interview and think they could deliver what made those games really good. If you get a baseball game that's realistic and challenging, the replay value is off the charts.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

They'd do far worse than to bring in Fatpitcher as well - the first ESPN baseball for Xbox was a gem that needed just a little polishing to be something special. Instead they ended up in the mess they're in now.

FatPitcher
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FatPitcher »

I am also glad to see that a baseball designer, rather than marketing guys, are in charge of the series. I hope it stays that way.

I wouldn't want to work on the series anymore, though. Being pigeonholed as a baseball game designer doesn't do much for one's job prospects when one is no longer able to work on the rather limited number of baseball projects out there.

Plus, Greg Thomas is still calling the shots. Don't wanna work for him.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Screenshots. Not actual gameplay ones though.

http://sports.ign.com/articles/742/742278p1.html

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

sportdan30 wrote:Screenshots. Not actual gameplay ones though.

http://sports.ign.com/articles/742/742278p1.html
The last screenie looks downright scary. ;)

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

Some new screens and 1 video at Gamespot

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/gamespace ... e=previews

The animations seem improved,although I didn't play last years mess.
Hopefully Ben Brinkman can resurrect this game as its the only option on the 360.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Video looks really nice. Some incredible work with the fabric's response to movement. AND...

Looks like they fixed the batting animations.

I think they had to core of a good game, but it needed a lot of polishing. With another year, the talents of the new producer, and the feedback from the community, I've got high hopes for this one.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

As a MAC user, how can I view the video? Using Safari, I get a message telling me I don't have a Windows Media Plug-In or something of that effect.

Thanks.

MuffinMcFluffin
Mario Mendoza

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

My guess is that you download Windows Media Player 11 if you don't have it already.
[size=9]Rest in peace, Timothy Volkert (1988 - 2003). You will forever be missed.[/size]

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Still looks like the same old 2k mess it always has been.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

sportdan30 wrote:As a MAC user, how can I view the video? Using Safari, I get a message telling me I don't have a Windows Media Plug-In or something of that effect.

Thanks.
You should be able to d/l the Window Media plug-in for Safari, but I've long since switched to Firefox and much prefer it to Safari. Also, there is this deal, Flip4Mac:

http://www.flip4mac.com/

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Still looks like the same old 2k mess it always has been.
I disagree, but it's way too early to really say without seeing actual gameplay footage. Graphically, it looks significantly better. The animations look less robotic. I couldn't get a real good feeling on the infield throw animations, but I'm hoping they don't have that sidearm look to them like the last umpteen versions. It's also hard to tell on the batter swings, but it appears they have a more weighty feel to them rather than the same ugly wiffle ball swing.

Still boils down to gameplay.