OT: New Fall Series

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: New Fall Series

Post by Danimal »

Lots of new shows this fall, I can't possibly watch all the pilots but I don't want to miss anything good and come in too late. So maybe if you've watched new stuff you can comment on it. I'll start with what I have seen so far:

Jericho - Watched the Pilot this past week. It's got an interesting premise small Kansas town and people see a mushroom clud from Denever and hear Atlanta was hit as well. While the pilot was mysterious it really didn't do that much to explain the charcters. I'm going to give this one a few episodes.

Smith - Amy Smart as a thief who kicks serious ass. I really liked this pilot, I was thinking this was going to be about thieves and they would pull a different job each week. But the scenes for episode 2 tonight seem to suggest differently. I am recommending this one after just one episode.

Heros - I never heard of this show before Saturday and watched the pilot last night. I was very entertained, plot is simple so far. Ordinary people develope super hero like powers. I watch the little credits thin at the start of the episode and though "oh lord cheese fest coming" but I was just caught up in the hour. I was reall disappointed when it was over and really can't wait until next week and I haven't felt that way since the first season of Alias. They are re-airing tonight, if you can give this one a watch.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I watched the pilot of "Smith" and thought it sucked.

For starters, the script is weak.

But my biggest beef is how many times did we have to see Ray Liotta staring in space, pondering the morals of his double life of a criminal and a family man? Ray stares into space on the curb of his house, on the plane, while stroking his sleeping son's hair. F*ck, we get it already!

Finally, the whole scene on the plane was ridiculous, where the guy and the girl go join the Mile High Club and then the camera cuts to moral Ray Liotta, staring into space and pondering the ethical balance of what it's like to be a crook and a dad.

Very cliched show. A waste of two excellent actors, Liotta and Virginia Madsen. I won't watch again. I have too little time for pap like this, especially when there are many higher-quality shows than this on TV.

I did like "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," though!

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

pk500 wrote:I watched the pilot of "Smith" and thought it sucked.

For starters, the script is weak.

But my biggest beef is how many times did we have to see Ray Liotta staring in space, pondering the morals of his double life of a criminal and a family man? Ray stares into space on the curb of his house, on the plane, while stroking his sleeping son's hair. F*ck, we get it already!

Finally, the whole scene on the plane was ridiculous, where the guy and the girl go join the Mile High Club and then the camera cuts to moral Ray Liotta, staring into space and pondering the ethical balance of what it's like to be a crook and a dad.

Very cliched show. A waste of two excellent actors, Liotta and Virginia Madsen. I won't watch again. I have too little time for pap like this, especially when there are many higher-quality shows than this on TV.

I did like "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," though!

Take care,
PK
Ray Liotta was in Smith? Sorry I only saw Amy Smart :)

Seriously though different strokes as i couldn't stomach Studio 60. I've already seen West Wing, no need to re-shovel it as a SNL Office instead of the oval office.
Follow Me on:

ubrakto
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by ubrakto »

Of the three new shows I've watched:

Heroes - The premise is nothing fans of the X-Men haven't seen before, but I think the pilot gave the concept a very nice refresh and I think the cast did a pretty good job. The preview for what's to come is promising to. I like this one so far, but then I'm exactly the kind of geek at which this concept appeals.

Jericho - I liked most of the 80s nuclear apocalypse movies (The Day After, and a couple whose titles I don't recall) and this is in a similar vein, I think (just drawn out). I think the jury is way, way out on this one, but since I'm a sucker for the concept I'll stick with it for awhile.

And -by far- my favorite new show to date:

Studio 60 in the Sunset Strip: I've been a fan of writer/creator Aaron Sorkin's work since Sports Night. If you liked that show and the first four seasons of the West Wing, you'll probably like this. I was sold on the pilot as soon as Judd Hirsch (sp?) walked on stage during the "live" broadcast to lambast everything the network for which he worked stood for. Bradley Whitford and Matt Perry play off each other exceedingly well and Amanda Peete... s***, she's Amanda Peete. I'm sold. (Last night's second episode was, quite possibly, even better than the pilot.)

---Todd

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

ubrakto wrote:Heroes - The premise is nothing fans of the X-Men haven't seen before, but I think the pilot gave the concept a very nice refresh and I think the cast did a pretty good job. The preview for what's to come is promising to. I like this one so far, but then I'm exactly the kind of geek at which this concept appeals.
I feel the same way, I can't believe I never heard of this show until this weekend. My biggest fear is that because I like it so much it will get canceled just like Invasion, Against the Grain, Space Aobve and Beyond etc.

It's a general rule in my house if I love a show it gets canceled, that's why my wife is happy I didn't like Studio 60 :)
Follow Me on:

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I've made it a priority to check out Studio 60, as I love the concept, but Sorkin sure can get precious with his dialogue... conversations constantly end with some smirk-laden, self-congratulatory pearl of wisdom before characters rush off to have another conversation in a hallway somewhere. All the stuff that kept me from ever getting into West Wing, basically. That, and there was nothing funny about that 'cold open' musical number. I hope there are some snippets of the show within the show that make me believe this is a functioning comedy show.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Slumberland wrote:I've made it a priority to check out Studio 60, as I love the concept, but Sorkin sure can get precious with his dialogue... conversations constantly end with some smirk-laden, self-congratulatory pearl of wisdom before characters rush off to have another conversation in a hallway somewhere. All the stuff that kept me from ever getting into West Wing, basically. That, and there was nothing funny about that 'cold open' musical number. I hope there are some snippets of the show within the show that make me believe this is a functioning comedy show.
Heh, I agree with this. This was my most anticipated new show of the season, and I've found it to be a drag so far...at least as far as the writing goes. There are several good acting performances, though.

And -knowing Sorkin- I was expecting a preachy, heavy-handed ego trip, but not THIS preachy or THIS much of an ego trip! I guess he was hoping to get all of his shots and self-congratulations out before any possible cancellation threat. ;)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Good points about the Sorkin dialogue. It can be annoying, as not a single character in a Sorkin show ever pauses or breathes before or during speaking, and they're all witty as hell. These aren't actors -- they're Gatling-gun smart bombs with larynxes.

That said, I think the writing is good; I just don't like the constant Sorkin-esque delivery. The acting is very good, too.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

I watched the first episode of Jericho and thought it was all right, doesn't seem like a show that could last for more than a season or two though. It is in a good time slot on Wednesday nights before Lost so that could help it.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

Check out Kidnapped. Timothy Hutton and Dana Delaney among others are in it. I have watched most of the new shows that have been mentioned so far and Kidnapped is definitely my favorite new show.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Badgun wrote:Check out Kidnapped. Timothy Hutton and Dana Delaney among others are in it. I have watched most of the new shows that have been mentioned so far and Kidnapped is definitely my favorite new show.
Not to mention Delroy Lindo. Tremendous cast!

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

I could watch anything written by Aaron Sorkin; his dialogue is smart, funny, and fast-paced.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

Zeppo wrote:
Badgun wrote:Check out Kidnapped. Timothy Hutton and Dana Delaney among others are in it. I have watched most of the new shows that have been mentioned so far and Kidnapped is definitely my favorite new show.
Not to mention Delroy Lindo. Tremendous cast!
Yeah, Zeppo...I love his character in Kidnapped.

BTW, can anyone comment on Showtime's Brotherhood? I haven't seen it yet, but a lot of people are making Sopranos comparisons. Is it any good?

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

So far I'm a fan of or going to watch...

1. Studio 60. Solid premise and great writing...good stuff.

2. Heroes. I was very anxious to watch it and its pretty good. The plot is simple but entertaining. Plus I love anything that is "super hero" oriented...and done well. Hope it doesn't get cheesy.

3. Six Degrees. I watched it because I love Bridget Moynahan :) Turns out its a good show. The show follows 6 people and how their lives become intertwined. More drama than I expected but its solid. Its a JJ Abrams show so, to me, that gives it merit

4. Help Me Help You. Ted Dansen is good when he is a smartass and this show looks to be just that. I'll give it a shot. Its on tonight at 9:30.

5. The Class. I didn't hate it. Pretty simple sit com. I'll end up passing on it more times than I watch it.

6. Day Break. Looking forward to this one. Taye Diggs plays a cop that keeps living the same day over and over trying to figure out who framed him for murder. Looks very entertaining. It will be in Lost's timeslot once it takes its winter hiatus. Check out the free preview http://abc.go.com/primetime/schedule/20 ... break.html
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Too many decent new shows for me to keep up with. What I will say is that the best show that I DVR and fail to watch is Brotherhood on Showtime. Weeds is better than it was last year (IMO; I just can't get enough of Mary Louise), but Brotherhood is simply outstanding. I never watched Huff much, either, but that was because it was so heavy I really had to prepare myself to deal with what it dredged up (or such was my excuse). I mean it was tremendous, but very, very difficult for me to watch. Brotherhood is too good for me to 'watch' while I mess around on the email, pay bills, etc. When I do I get drawn in like few other shows on TV in a long time. Really, top-notch stuff.

Jericho I find intriguing, with yet another excellent cast. Skeet can be very, very good, and Gerald McRaney is quite good as well. Could turn out to be a great show, but may take too long to get there, we'll see. Without doubt, it is unique and has a pretty creepy vibe. I am liking Kidnapped, drawn in by Mr. Hutton (oh why did Nero Wolfe have to end?) and Mr. Lindo. Turns out, the pilot was very good, and I am looking forward to more. I am hooked on Vanished, although it's not really very good. It was nice to see the guy who played the drunkard Steve on Deadwood as a well-groomed, coherent and ultimately (I'm sure) corrupt and duplicitous Justice Dept. man! It's sort of like a classy 24, with a weak attempt at some deep-seated X-Files type of shadow government conspiracy action.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Forgot to add that I'm looking forward to "Friday Night Lights."

I'm sure it will be nothing more than "The OC" with shoulder pads and oil derricks, but I'm a sucker for nighttime soaps, especially sports soaps. Hell, I've watched "Dream Team" religiously every week for the last four years on Fox Soccer Channel!

Take care,
PK

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

pk500 wrote:Forgot to add that I'm looking forward to "Friday Night Lights."
When does this show come on? I loved the book, and was very surprised how good the movie was.

Rick

ubrakto
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by ubrakto »

pk500 wrote:Good points about the Sorkin dialogue. It can be annoying, as not a single character in a Sorkin show ever pauses or breathes before or during speaking, and they're all witty as hell. These aren't actors -- they're Gatling-gun smart bombs with larynxes.

That said, I think the writing is good; I just don't like the constant Sorkin-esque delivery. The acting is very good, too.
What's funny (to me) is that these criticisms are exactly why I like the dialog so much. Believable? No, probably not. But I don't think there's anything else quite like it on TV and it works very well for me. I do get why it doesn't work for a lot of people, but hey, different strokes and all that, right? ;)
---Todd

ubrakto
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by ubrakto »

Danimal wrote:It's a general rule in my house if I love a show it gets canceled, that's why my wife is happy I didn't like Studio 60 :)
I know the feeling. I'm still pissed as hell about Firefly being cancelled and that show had a 4-month run about three or four years ago. (Speaking of which, Universal HD is airing the Firefly series on Sunday nights. The show looks fabulous in HD.)
---Todd

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

icvu42 wrote:
pk500 wrote:Forgot to add that I'm looking forward to "Friday Night Lights."
When does this show come on? I loved the book, and was very surprised how good the movie was.

Rick
8 p.m. (ET), Tuesday, Oct. 3 -- NBC.

Take care,
PK

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Studio 60 is okay.

"Dexter" sounds good too.

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

Did anybody watch "The Nine" last night? I thought it was pretty good, but I have the feeling that 2 months from now, the audience still won't have any idea of what happend in the bank.

Rick

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Slumberland wrote:I hope there are some snippets of the show within the show that make me believe this is a functioning comedy show.
That's my biggest beef with it. I understand that it's a sketch show that's seen better days, but if it is on the upswing, some of the sketches should be funny. The part in the second episode where they were doing rehersal for the religious quiz sketch was painfully unfunny.

I think Heroes has a lot of potential.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

icvu42 wrote:Did anybody watch "The Nine" last night? I thought it was pretty good, but I have the feeling that 2 months from now, the audience still won't have any idea of what happend in the bank.

Rick
I think that's pretty much guaranteed. What happened in there? Unless a midget gave birth to a full grown man on the back of a circus elephant, I don't care. How dare of they, during Lost, to try and sell me another show where uninteresting answers to potentially interesting questions get trickled out over mind-numbing lengths of time. I only have room for one show like that in my life.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Brando70 wrote:The part in the second episode where they were doing rehersal for the religious quiz sketch was painfully unfunny.
I TOTALLY agree. The geniuses Matt and Danny are comig home to roost and that's the kind of punchline-less comedy that's suddenly yielding boffo ratings? Give me a break.

The one thing from the 'show' montage that made me laugh for some reason... the token fat cast member as the over-eager golf audience guy... "for the love of all that's holy... GET IN THE HOLE!" There was something veru Chris Farley about that.