Anyone take the plunge on Test Drive:Unlimited?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

RandyM wrote:Btw, did you do that 60 minute run around the island with the "Millionaire Tour" thing?

I tried it for a second time last night . Used the Koenigsegg, but still missed it by 2 minutes!

Too many police busts, slamming into trees, etc. :(

Hints? I really want to ditch the Koenigseg for one of the McLaren F1's. Anyone want to trade me?

Randy
I really think a slightly slower car with better overall handling is the trick. The Koenigsegg is a beast! I only missed it by a few seconds, but I forget what I was using. The trick is staying between the lines, and handling trumps speed there...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

The McLaren is so slippery. The Enzo Ferrari is so much easier to drive than the McLaren. I did the millionaire's challenge in the McLaren GTR in about 58 minutes. I did the same thing the FIRST time in the Enzo in 53. If you want an easy-to-drive car to whip around those long challenges, the Enzo is your meal ticket.

RandyM
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by RandyM »

Unfortunately i don't have the dough for an Enzo. I bought a McLaren F1 GTR last night second hand off and have put my Koenigseg up for sale for more funds, but I'm nowhere near having the dough for an enzo.

*sigh*

RandyM
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by RandyM »

So, on the strategy for doing the Millionaire tour. Here are some of the things I wonder about strategy-wise:

- Drive to the right of the right lane between the white line and the shoulder? (Risk = losing control/speed by putting wheels off the road, nicking the cars in your lane, etc).

- Drive in lane and try to pass on left 'conventially' (if there's something conventional about crossing a double yellow), and if so, do you try to get back in your lane when oncoming traffic comes along? Or do you try to move to the left edge of the road. Or do you try to thread the needle right down the middle....

- What's faster? The tortoise or the hare? (Full out blasts at 240 mph punctuated by the inevitable slamming into a solid object or a car), or trying to maintain a consistent 130-160 mph speed through the whole run?

Just curious as what approach seems to minimize collisions and improve ability to drive.

My biggest problem seems to be vision - even on a big screen HDTV, I often struggle with seeing cars way down the road, and at high speeds, early warning is EVERYTHING!

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

RandyM wrote: My biggest problem seems to be vision - even on a big screen HDTV, I often struggle with seeing cars way down the road, and at high speeds, early warning is EVERYTHING!
This is my favorite driving game at the moment, but I feel that this is its biggest problem.

RandyM
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by RandyM »

The correct answer is ACTUALLY that its biggest problem is that it doesn't have the Mazda RX-8 (I own one in real life, so naturally that's what I want!)

Randy

Fshguy
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Fshguy »

To do the Millionaire challenge. Take a Ma bike and drive it. I had to go into the third person view to drive it, but it's a lot easier to get around traffic that way.

RandyM
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by RandyM »

Okay, I bought a Kawasaki Ninja, upgraded it to Lvl 3 and got through Millionaire in 55 minutes.

Finally!

Thanks.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Anyone try the new cars yet? The '57 'vette is cool (although the '58 is my favorite), the RUF is the closest thing to a Porsche in the game (and it handles like a dream), and the old G class Ferrari is a hoot too (although at 5,000,000 it's a bit steep.)
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Gurantsu wrote:Anyone try the new cars yet? The '57 'vette is cool (although the '58 is my favorite), the RUF is the closest thing to a Porsche in the game (and it handles like a dream), and the old G class Ferrari is a hoot too (although at 5,000,000 it's a bit steep.)
I love the 57 vette. I also bought the Lamborghini 25th anniversary. I feel like Sonny Crockett! I plan on getting the others when I win the virtual lottery...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Well I'm really late to the party, but this game has me totally hooked!! The original Need for Speed for 3DO is one of my all time favorite games, and to me, this is what the Need for Speed series was supposed to be: racing expensive sports cars on real roads while dodging traffic. No laps, just miles and miles of road, and a more of a sim feel rather than pure arcade racing.

Also, this game REALLY makes me want that MS wireless wheel. Can anyone comment on how it works with this game?

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I played a lot of NFS over the weekend, as I was taking it easy while keeping "my boys" on ice after my operation, and I discovered a strange but interesting dynamic.

I like to just cruise around in various cars, see how they handle, and also like to check out what other guys are driving. So I take the '57 Vette to the racetrack to run it, and I get jumped by a gang of dudes all driving A class cars. They saw me on the track and decided to pretty much just ram me off of the road over and over. They were talking to each other planning their strategy and what-not, it was very odd. What was really strange was that it didn't really bother me, I was interested in how it was playing out. I just kept getting back on track and started my laps again, and after 15 minutes they got bored and left me to myself.

Then I grab the new G class Ferrari, and head back to the track. This time I hear constant trash from a dude driving a Camaro about how Ferrari's are crap, and he was going to take a crap on it, and he proceeds to try to run me off the road as I'm doing laps. He didn't tag me even once, but he gets an A for effort. After a short while another car he thought was crap showed up and he went after them instead.

Later on I'm cruising around Honolulu and this guy in his Saleen keeps trying to challenge me to a race. When I kept declining he also gets all PO'd and slams into me a few times and called me a few choice names. I usually cruise without my mic in, and I have now turned off acceptance of challenges as they keep messing up my manual shifting.

Still none of these episodes angered me, I just find it very interesting how some people react when you won't play "their way"; they get mad then take their ball and go home.

Plus, for all the situations like those I mentioned, there are still the ones that are fun, like when me and another guy just started an impromptu race, beeping horns as we blew by each other. He eventually blew me away and faded into the sunset. Neither of us said anything to each other, but were able to play together for a while, had a fun little race, then go our seperate ways.

All of it really makes for a pretty cool "real world" feel. Gotta have the good with the bad I guess.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

Theo
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Theo »

Is anyone playing tonight? I will be on around 8 central.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Theo wrote:Is anyone playing tonight? I will be on around 8 central.
MNF, baby. Got to see those Igles lose! :lol: Or suffer through them finding a way to win :(

At this point the whole season for me is nothing but Shadenfreude. As much as I hate the Cowboys, those Giants sure made me happy yesterdy!!

Anyway, I'd love to have a racing night soon. Can we say Wednesday Night Racing? Club-style? Or if there are any not in the club (stupid thing only holds 16), regular private mp racing. I still have no A cars.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Yeah, a racing night would be fun. Wednesday!

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I think I could be up for a Wednesday night race. I only have 4 cars, but I do have a quality tuned car in the E, D and B classes. I also have 600k to play with to pick up a C -- any recommendations?

(And I guess it's only 400k, as I have to buy another house for a 5th car)

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Naples39 wrote:I think I could be up for a Wednesday night race. I only have 4 cars, but I do have a quality tuned car in the E, D and B classes. I also have 600k to play with to pick up a C -- any recommendations?

Better make sure you get some classic cars. We race those quite a bit.

Theo
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Theo »

Naples, the 5 best C class in no particular order.
1. Aston Martin Vanquish
2. Ferrari Maranello
3. TVR Sagaris
4. TVR Tuscan
5. Chevy Corvette C6. My personal favorite is the Sagaris. Great handling, very quick and a good top speed.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Zeppo wrote:
Naples39 wrote:I think I could be up for a Wednesday night race. I only have 4 cars, but I do have a quality tuned car in the E, D and B classes. I also have 600k to play with to pick up a C -- any recommendations?

Is there some specific designation for classic cars? Are those the G class cars?

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Naples39 wrote:
Zeppo wrote:

Is there some specific designation for classic cars? Are those the G class cars?
Yes, that's it. Check this out:

http://negg.net/TDU/

RandyM
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by RandyM »

I'm up for racing wednesday night.

Anyone up for it, please send a friend invite to RingBearer so I can make sure that you're on my friends list.

Randy

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Can someone point me in the direction of a shop where I can upgrade my Camaro? I've covered a fair amount of ground, but haven't come across it yet.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

That negg site is your best friend for finding dealerships and upgrade shops for each car. A direct link for the camaro locations; http://negg.net/TDU/index.cfm?storeID=1 ... rch=camaro

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

That's awesome, thank you. I have a printout of the car list from that site, but forgot that you could locate dealerships there as well.

I had a great time driving along the Northwest coast for the first time in my Farboud, using the third behind-car camera. Getting out of the cockpit view for a while really made me appreciate the visuals on the island. This game was a big understaking, for sure.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Slumberland wrote:Getting out of the cockpit view for a while really made me appreciate the visuals on the island. This game was a big understaking, for sure.
Indeed. The dynamic, closest behind-the-car view is excellent for apreciating the car models, as well.

I wonder if the patch fixed the Drive-in challenges problems. I have a nice Firebird challenge and a few others I'll try to post again. Look for 'DSP' at the head of the title.