OT: Just picked up Saint's Row

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Just picked up Saint's Row

Post by TCrouch »

No kidding. I've got Assassin's Creed and NFS: The Run showing up in the mail from Gamefly today and have absolutely no idea when I'll actually even try them. Saint's Row was something I was really looking forward to, but I just couldn't make the mental switch from nords-and-swords to thugs-with-guns. Not to mention it's tougher for me to play SR with my kids running around, as you never know what you're going to see on screen or hear, so I have to play it with headphones on and keep a peripheral view to make sure no little eyes are running by when I pull out a 5 foot purple dildo to beat somebody with :roll:

So much of it is so juvenile, but it's fun to just run around and mess stuff up in that game.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

After playing through the "story" sequence at the beginning I definitely wasn't feeling this game. But now that I'm just cruising around doing stuff, it's a hell of a riot. I literally haven't laughed at a game in long as time...right in the first mission you get a guy that hops in the car with you and he says lets put on some driving music. They put on some Sublime while driving to the next checkpoint...they start signing along with the music...firing the guns in the air when they enter the tunnel. Freakin' genius. You really have to see it to appreciate it because in type, it just loses all effect. But Damn...so funny.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

dbdynsty25 wrote: They put on some Sublime while driving to the next checkpoint...they start signing along with the music...firing the guns in the air when they enter the tunnel. Freakin' genius. You really have to see it to appreciate it because in type, it just loses all effect. But Damn...so funny.
I heard about that on a podcast - sounds hilarious and apparently there's lots of other wacky stuff like that in the game.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Macca00 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote: They put on some Sublime while driving to the next checkpoint...they start signing along with the music...firing the guns in the air when they enter the tunnel. Freakin' genius. You really have to see it to appreciate it because in type, it just loses all effect. But Damn...so funny.
I heard about that on a podcast - sounds hilarious and apparently there's lots of other wacky stuff like that in the game.
It's really fun, and the singalongs are great! They did a lot of similar stuff in SR2, too.

Here are all 6 character voices singing 'Take On Me,' for instance:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

My copy just arrived!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I might be weird but I haven't touched Skyrim tonight, this game is a blast!!!

I need to take a picture of my pimped out ride, LOL!

This game is so much fun to play, I can't believe I've never played a SR game before!

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

I didn't think much of anything would pull me away from Skyrim for a while, but Saints Row 3 has done just that. I got it from Best Buy for $30 on a whim (did not think Saints Row 1 was all that spectacular) after reading so many positive reviews and having a few friends who have been raving about it. I've found my new video crack. I played for 12 hours total today and am left wanting to play even more. The game is just so over the top and fun that it's hard to not love it. There are so many laugh out loud moments that it's ridiculous. I'm not sure I could have even imagined ball-gagged gimps coming out of a BDSM club pulling carts behind them with people firing machine guns in a firefight riding in the carts. The pimp with the gold autovox cane is too much. And oh yeah, the action and gameplay kicks serious ass. It's like GTA on steroids, with some Crackdown thrown in for good measure. 12 hours in I am still finding new things to do. The side stuff is very cool, and some of it is very challenging. Overall, this game has been a very pleasant surprise and one that I can see myself trying to finish 100%.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Wanted to second Toon's comment. Didn't expect to like Saints Row III as much as I did - started off slow but loved it after a few hours and the first game in a long time that I've 100% completed (did ALL of the side missions/activities and such). This game was made and written by people on drugs - it is insane and absolutely hilarious - I would love to give examples but it would totally ruin the story but there are things in this game I never seen before (and no, it's not just stupid things like killing people with giant purple dildos).

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Macca00 wrote:Wanted to second Toon's comment. Didn't expect to like Saints Row III as much as I did - started off slow but loved it after a few hours and the first game in a long time that I've 100% completed (did ALL of the side missions/activities and such). This game was made and written by people on drugs - it is insane and absolutely hilarious - I would love to give examples but it would totally ruin the story but there are things in this game I never seen before (and no, it's not just stupid things like killing people with giant purple dildos).
That's impressive that you got 100%. It seems like there is an incredible amount to do. I chose Uncharted 3 and Skyrim as my games of the year in another thread, and they are indeed phenomenal games, however Saints Row 3 has to join those two as one of the top games of 2011. It doesn't have the epic feel of Skyrim or the incredible story and graphics of Uncharted 3, but it makes up for it in terms of humor, insanity, and just overall fun. Perhaps why it is so cool is that in today's world of corporate-made design decisions and timidity when it comes to off-color elements, the guys who made Saints Row 3 just said "f*** it" and went ape s*** in putting in as much over the top stuff as they could. And, additionally, they did it quite well in making a fun cohesive game.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

toonarmy wrote:. Perhaps why it is so cool is that in today's world of corporate-made design decisions and timidity when it comes to off-color elements, the guys who made Saints Row 3 just said "f*** it" and went ape s*** in putting in as much over the top stuff as they could. And, additionally, they did it quite well in making a fun cohesive game.
You don't have to finish the Saints Book activities to get 100% completion so that's how I got it. Agree with you that this is in my top games of the year - excellent fun and just so insane and over the top.

Again, not to give away any spoilers but that whole wrestling scene had me in hysterics - from the old WWF refences, who the voice actors were and the music during that scene - oh my god, I was dying.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

never played this series. Should I start with the first two?

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

fsquid wrote:never played this series. Should I start with the first two?
I've never played the first two.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Well version 4 really starts off weird. Geeze...what a trip. Never a fan of how these games start, but they end up getting better as you progress.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

I really wanted to like the last version but I had SO much trouble with the combat controls for some reason. Every time I got into a firefight I could not figure out what was going on. Weird but it made me ditch the game.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Spooky wrote:I really wanted to like the last version but I had SO much trouble with the combat controls for some reason. Every time I got into a firefight I could not figure out what was going on. Weird but it made me ditch the game.
It certainly doesn't feel like they've been refined. It almost feels like 3 controlled better than 4...especially when driving cars. I don't know...I don't have a HUGE pull to play more as I put in a couple hours last night, but I'll push through because it seems like no one else picked it up. At least we will have some impressions of some sort. Kinda why I didn't create a new thread...even 3 didn't get much love when it was a pretty good game overall. All the futuristic halo-ish crap is kinda weird with this type of game...so we'll see if it changes at all going forward. I know it's just a mish-mash of genres, so maybe this is just a chapter or whatever.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Is the city the EXACT same as in 3? I think it is.

The territory stuff is the same, just aliens replacing the gangs. The game is going to have to really do something different from 3, or this will be on the glyde sell pile soon. Swapping out gangs for aliens just isn't gonna cut it.

Even the mini games are the same.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

I'm about 7 hours in (according to Steam) on the PC and despite some issues and LOVING IT.

I adored Saints Row 3, I still think it's one of the most underrated games ever, so I've been psyched about the sequel.

The bad;
- Sudz - yes, more or less the same city
- also since you're more or less in 'the matrix' it's the city mostly at dusk or at night time
- as a result at times the game can feel very 'samey'
- the mechanics are the same as prior (except for exceptions below) so if you didn't like them then you won't like them now
- there are better looking open world games, I can't speak for the consoles but Sleeping Dogs on the PC absolutely sh1ts on this game visually

The good;
- batsh1t insane story, dialogue and music
- they spoof everything from Mass Effect 2, Scientology, Portal 2, Armageddon and so much more, if you like the humor in SR3 (that was my favourite part) you'll love this - Keith David is the vice president...not Keith David playing a character as the vice president- no, it's Keith David playing HIMSELF
- the musical choices are brillaint, I don't want to spoil them but all the loyalty missions (mocking Mass Effect 2's recruitment loyalty missions) are outstanding
- I would love to give examples but it would spoil the fun (much like SR3 in that way)
- it steals the traversal and orb collecting from Crackdown - you basically have superpowers now that you upgrade including super speed and super jump - at this point in the game i never use a car since I can run faster and jump further than any vehicle in the game - in the PC version this runs smooth as silk
- you upgrade your abilities by collecting more or less 'orbs' ala crack down so you have that addictive side of the game plus the fun of crazy traversal
- you also have other powers like fireballs and telekinesis - where you can just 'force grab' objects and throw them around - grab a garbage truck using 'the force' and then toss it a block away

The first 3-4 hrs it feels like it should have been DLC as it didn't feel like a new game but once I started doing more of the 'loyalty' missions I really fell back in love with Saints Row.

I can't stress enough though that if you didn't like the humour in SR3 then SR4 isn't likely going to be for you.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Played some more last night and while I still haven't put in the required 3-4 to get past the DLC feel like Macca mentioned, I can definitely see how this game could shape up to be a classic. However, given my limited time for gaming these days, I just don't see how it will last once GTAV comes out. So I guess I'll just try to play it as much as possible for the next two weeks and see what happens. Way too many games coming out in a short period of time and it has to be an all-timer to keep getting any attention.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Really loving this. It's everything I want from a game that has an achievement for "testicular homicide."
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

My review (of Saints Row 4);

http://maximumpixelation.com/2013/09/13 ... -row-4-pc/

I really liked it but I think Saints Row: The Third is a better game and overall experience.

I don't know if there are enough fans here for a spoiler thread but Zinyak singing Biz Markie had me in hysterics!