Soccer thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Soccer thread

Post by ScoopBrady »

With soccer mania still flowing after the World Cup there's been a ton of soccer talk around here. The problem is there are way too many threads discussing soccer. We manage to keep all NFL, NBA, NHL, and racing talk in 1 thread for each sport so it's time we need to do that for soccer. Please keep all soccer talk contained in this thread. Thanks.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

For anyone who listens to "World Soccer Daily" on Sirius or online with Nick Geber and Steven Cohen of "Fox Football Friday" fame, Georgie Bingham of Sky Sports is substituting for Nick this week and next week while he's in Vegas announcing a poker tournament.

Georgie is a sassy English chick who really knows her football for a broad. Quite attractive because of that.

I really enjoy this show, too. I listen to the podcast version, so I'm always a day behind the show's live schedule.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

devilsjaw
Mario Mendoza

Post by devilsjaw »

pk500 wrote:For anyone who listens to "World Soccer Daily" on Sirius or online with Nick Geber and Steven Cohen of "Fox Football Friday" fame, Georgie Bingham of Sky Sports is substituting for Nick this week and next week while he's in Vegas announcing a poker tournament.

Georgie is a sassy English chick who really knows her football for a broad. Quite attractive because of that.

I really enjoy this show, too. I listen to the podcast version, so I'm always a day behind the show's live schedule.

Take care,
PK
She definitly has a great radio voice.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

She also has large mammary fun bags. I've seen her on Sky Sports News. :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

Scoop: please edit the title to make this the Georgie Bingham thread

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

It's now official. Arena is out.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

>>>Arena compiled a 71-30-29 record during his eight years, including records for consecutive games unbeaten (16 in 2003-04) and most wins in a calendar year (13 in 2005), as well as for best winning percentage in a calendar year (.750 in 2005). In addition to his team's performances in the World Cup, he coached the U.S. team to two CONCACAF Gold Cup championships (in 2002 and 2005) and a third-place finish at the 1999 FIFA Confederations Cup. His 71 victories and .658 winning percentage are U.S. soccer records.<<<

Sure, the U.S. was disappointing in the 2006 World Cup, but all hail Bruce Arena for taking U.S. Soccer to a new level of worldwide respect during his tenure.

It is time for new ideas, but Bruce did a damn good job. Most national team coaches don't last longer than one World Cup cycle, so Bruce did many things right.

Take care,
PK

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

These are Fifa's Goals of the Tournament:

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/bgt.html

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

Arena had a nice run. He built a decent side out of the ruins of France 98, got some good results particularly in Japan/Korea, but eventually came full circle. It's time for him to move on.

You can't really judge a US National Team coach on overall W/L. There are a lot of CONCACAF minnows and home friendlies to pad the record. Ultimately, it comes down to a handful of games: Mexico derbies and the World Cup (maybe Copa America if the US sends a team) and the quality of play they display. In spite of their improved FIFA ranking, I don't think the US looked much better beating the likes of Honduras and Panama than the Sampson teams of the 90s.

Programmed2Kill
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by Programmed2Kill »

Van Nistelrooy wants out of Man U...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 180156.stm

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

Why the long face Ruud?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Programmed2Kill wrote:Van Nistelrooy wants out of Man U...

That's not a big surprise. He played as substitute several times last season.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

10spro wrote:

So why didnt Van Baston play him vs Portugal?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

XXXIV wrote:
10spro wrote:

So why didnt Van Baston play him vs Portugal?
You will have to ask Van basten. Up to that game he only scored only 1 goal I think and his play was rather spotty. He was shadowed with the likes of Van Persie and A. Robben in the WC, whom they had a much better run.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The verdict is out. Juventus was demoted to the Italian second division for match fixing by a sports tribunal Friday and stripped of its last two Serie A titles.

Ditto for Lazio and Fiorentina. Light sentencing if you asked me, as any of these teams will rise up to the "A" division within a couple of years (maybe Juventus at a more disadvantage with a 30 point deficit) and considering there was talk to a demotion all the way to "C".

Roma and Milan will get some of the "Top" players, some will end up in the "Premiership", some will end up at "La Liga" and the rest "Bundesliga".

This move will likely move Italian Serie A soccer to the bottom of the "big 4" national leagues in Europe. Transfer season is now under way!

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

How does the Mexican Leauge work? Where can I find a website in English about the teams?

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Inuyasha wrote:How does the Mexican Leauge work? Where can I find a website in English about the teams?
The way I understand it is that you only can be a fan of one of two teams...Chivas or America...

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Inuyasha wrote:How does the Mexican Leauge work? Where can I find a website in English about the teams?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_First_Division

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

well, Klinnsman has been on the front of ESPN.com all day.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Newcastle were booed last night as they drew to Lillestrom at home in the Intertoto Cup.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

So are all those Juventus players still under contract but they're free to sign with other teams because the team is getting relegated?

Do they get paid less because their team would be in Serie B and not eligible for Champions League?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The scandal is projected to take a financial toll on the clubs involved . Broadcast rights may need to be re-negotiated for the teams relegated to the second division, and sponsorship contracts for Juventus may be endangered if it is unable to work its way back up to the Italian League's first division in one season, which is unlikely. I don't think the players' salary will change one bit as most top guys will play in other leagues in Europe, such as the Premiership, La Liga, Bundesliga, etc.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Contracts are the same as in law, so the players wages won't reduce unless there is a clause in their contracts to say that they get paid less if they are in Serie B - which I can't imagine Juventus contracts have, as The Thieves never envisaged going down there.

Players will want to leave Juve particularly as they are realistically looking at 2 years down among the dead men in Serie B, with no European footy - no player in the prime of his career is going to want two years in front of 5,000 per game with no Champs League etc. So some may come to agreements with the clubs whereby they are released from their contracts for a nominal sum.

Juventus are a lot better off than the other two - there will be a real fire sale there, since both are almost bankrupt anyway. Word on the wire over here is that only the very top teams will be looking at Juve's players, because of the very high wages they are on.

Of course, we need to wait and see what happens on appeal first. If Juventus's fine is reduced to say 15pts, then they might think that promotion next season is a possibility, so more players may be willing to play out one season thrashing lower league opposition.

Be interesting to see if Juventus and Milan retain their places in the G14, given that they have both basically been found guilty of match-fixing and bribery.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

D. Deschamps, who played for Juventus back in the 90's and was captain of France's WC winning team in 98, is the new Juventus coach. Tough job to take on the club with a 30 point deficit making any hope of climbing back to the top division almost impossible.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

10spro wrote:D. Deschamps, who played for Juventus back in the 90's and was captain of France's WC winning team in 98, is the new Juventus coach. Tough job to take on the club with a 30 point deficit making any hope of climbing back to the top division almost impossible.
Should still be a possible playing in the 2nd division if they keep their players...They could make one of them Arsenal like runs and go undefeated.

Plus...Since this Juventus...Remember its not illegal to fix the matches if you dont get caught :wink: