Soccer thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

black_dynamite
Mario Mendoza

Post by black_dynamite »

Sorry about the double post.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

They play soccer in Canada?
Just kidding! :lol:

To bad about the U-20's looking bad...I thought I read that soccer in Canada was on the upswing and would only get better.

Staltieri had a nice year at Tottenham and Hume scored a cracker against the US.

black_dynamite
Mario Mendoza

Post by black_dynamite »

Soccer in terms of popularity is definitely on the upswing as well as the talent that's coming through the ranks. However that being said today's performance was a huge disappointment because I've seen Canada's U-20 team play a lot better against better teams like Argentina and Brazil, the two best South American sides in this tournament (and without question the two best teams in this tournament).

Canada have to forget about what happened today and focus on the next game. They have to win their next two but after today's shallacking at the hands of Chile it's going to be tough on the players.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

I watched the USA - S Korean U-20 game....eesh, we looked horrible and were lucky to get away with a draw. Our outside backs kept getting caught out of position and making bad passes, and our midfield wasn't getting any service to Adu or Altidore (which was a big tactical mistake, since we left Ferrari on the bench and could have easily played him up top and put Adu at AMC or possibly on a wing). This is a tough group too...so I hope we fix things fast.

black_dynamite
Mario Mendoza

Post by black_dynamite »

You're right about your group Jared, the US definitely have their work cut out for them and I figured that South Korea should have been three points for the US since they do have the personnel to pull off the victory, but I guess I have to give more credit to South Korea for playing up to the US' level. That being said however, the US could have used the 3 points since they are already in a very tough group.

A lot is going to be on the shoulders of Freddy Adu and unfortunately if the US don't do well here he's going to be the scapegoat. This is his chance to prove to everyone that he is a valuable player to have so if he wants to prove himself now is his opportunity at the biggest stage.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

We'll see how the Teams play now that the first game jitters are out of the way. Argentina dominated the Czechs but could not finish them over the weekend. The favourites to win the tourney are Brazil, Argentina, Portugal and Mexico. Dark horses are the US and Chile IMO.

What happened to the other football potentials like Italy, the Netherlands and UK?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Well we know that Bob Bradley learned one thing at the Copa America.

Kasey Keller is finished.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Argentina-Paraguay should be a good match to watch on Thursday to decide Group C.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

RobVarak wrote:Well we know that Bob Bradley learned one thing at the Copa America.

Didn't we know that before Copa America...I am not happy that the USA brought a C team to that tourney
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

RobVarak wrote:Well we know that Bob Bradley learned one thing at the Copa America.

Can't blame those two on the keeper.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Zlax45 wrote:

Didn't we know that before Copa America...I am not happy that the USA brought a C team to that tourney
I am. The US is in the Confederations Cup in 2009 now. They will get to find a home base for the World Cup and spend the summer playing 3 or 5 games against quality sides (minus whatever Oceania team qualifies).

Plus, I think we've found 3 gems in Feilheiber, Mapp, and Clark.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

The winning goal was a straight up gift from Bornstein, I mean a bad, bad, rookie type of mistake, 'here have the ball, I'll send it into the box for you to take a shot; no, that's OK I don't like Keller anyway . . . ' It's the first really bad mistake he's made in all the games he's played in the last month or so, and he is young, but . . . ouch.

And Mapp REALLY pissed me off when he screwed up that great 2 on 1 counter. He had about 10 options that would have been better than the weird chip attempt he made. Later, however, he demonstrated why he's part of the program with some amazing dribble skills. He went through three guys right at the edge of the box, I mean amazing dribbling. He really needs to be 'on' more often, though. He was useless in the first game for the whole 90 minutes, and with the missing of the sitter, I just don't know if even Bradley can trust him in a game that matters.

Clark is awesome.

What's super frustrating is that unlike in the Argentina game, this team had every chance not only to draw but to win. They played very well, and outside of a gift goal and a heck of a free kick right at the end (memo to wall: JUMP!!), we really should have come out on top. It was nice to see them pepper the goal in the final stages, and there was a wee bit of bad luck (the save on Clark wasn't lucky per se, but yowza!), but at this level with so few games to make your mark, the finishing must be much, much more efficient.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I think it is hilarious people complain about such a young squad, but its been the two guys at the front, with more caps that the rest, that have wasted the opportunities.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

fsquid wrote:

Can't blame those two on the keeper.
Youa re so right that those two goals weren't his "fault" but my gosh de he look indecisive when he kleft the box.

The first one, if he sprinted hard at the ball, he definitely would have changed the shot that was taken, would a goal still been scored? Perhaps...but he made the wrong play on it for sure.

The second gift, again, he took a half-ass attempt at coming out.....if he would have stayed close to goal it would have forced the Paraguayan to dribble more which might have allowed Conrad to close...something he failed to do moments earlier.

To goals that weren't his fault but two goals we need our goalie to give a much better effort on.

Look at Howard's save on Bofo in the Mexico game. If he scores, it isn't his fault, but it was a save we needed.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Very frustrating game for the USA. They outhustled, outpossessed, outshot, and outchanced Paraguay, yet still lose 3-1.

At least this game showed that Clark and Feilhaber are capable of running the central midfield in the upcoming WCQ cycle. EJ looked pretty decent too, though his passing will never be more than mediocre. After seeing these games, the idea of Beasley-Clark-Feilhaber-Dempsey midfield hooking up with Donovan and EJ up top could be pretty exciting, and nothing like the defense first teams Arena ran out.

And how about the U20s today? After a thoroughly underwhelming draw against S. Korea, and facing a tough Poland team who just beat Brazil 1-0, the boys thrash them 6-1 behind a Freddy Adu hat trick. Impressive stuff!! Has Adu just booked his ticket to Europe?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Many of you don't remember that the team gathered at the Copa America is not the best representing the US. But experience wise it's a great stepping stone for many players like Johnson, Feilhaber and Clark. I mean with the team congregated in Venezuela I hope not many of you expected big things.

Watching the WC under-20 it was a party for the youngsters. How Poland beat Brazil is beyond me. Freddy Adu scored two highlight reels in his hat-trick. His first one especially, was a beauty.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Ada, GOLAZO

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I went to watch Zambia and heavily favored Spain yesterday at the soccer under-20 WC. Sold out Stadium of 12.000 people with the crowd chanting Zambia-Zambia! Everyone was going for the underdogs and with a bounce here and there they could have tied the game in the end. This is a young team that beat the likes of Cameroon and Nigeria which are more well now among the Africans.

Spain is one of the favorites in this tournament but they failed to impress me yesterday.

Copa America: Argentina-Paraguay to define the leader of group C, although both nations will have their team B in play tonight. If the likes of Palacio, Tevez, Gago, Abbondanzieri, Diaz and Ibarra are considered a B team. Wait there goes half of former Boca players...

Brazil won but they are still far from their dominating style of play. Robinho has been their best player.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Chelsea seems to have won to rights to sign one of the most talented players in Alexandre Pato while Carlitos Tevez is rumored to be wearing the reds of ManU next season.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

For those that are interested, tonight's U-20 matchup of Brazil vs. USA (at 7:30) has been moved from ESPNU to ESPN (maybe they were looking at the Gold Cup ratings). The US is almost guaranteed a spot in the knockout stages regardless of the result, but it's still a big match. First because it's Brazil, and also because of who we would play in the next round.

If we win (or draw and Poland doesn't win): we'll play one of the 3rd place teams from the other groups (candidates like Zambia, Jordan, North Korea)

If we lose and get 2nd in the group: We will almost assuredly play Argentina

If we lose and Poland wins (3rd in the group): We will probably get Chile or Spain.

So a result will be very important for the US. And hopefully Freddy will continue with his form from the USA-Poland game.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Freddy et al, because for me Bradley, Szetella and Zizzo were all equally important to that blowout (especially Zizzo) and in fact the whole team played well (Ward wasn't on the pitch, note) as opposed to the poor team performance against S. Korea.

This game should be extra good because Brazil just about needs to win, having lost to Poland in the first game. If we win, I think there's a chance that Brazil would be knocked out, although I'm not positive about all the 3rd place ramifications. Still, after the draw I was imagining this game would be pretty meaningless for both sides. Not the case now!

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Zeppo wrote:Freddy et al, because for me Bradley, Szetella and Zizzo were all equally important to that blowout (especially Zizzo) and in fact the whole team played well (Ward wasn't on the pitch, note) as opposed to the poor team performance against S. Korea.

This game should be extra good because Brazil just about needs to win, having lost to Poland in the first game. If we win, I think there's a chance that Brazil would be knocked out, although I'm not positive about all the 3rd place ramifications. Still, after the draw I was imagining this game would be pretty meaningless for both sides. Not the case now!
Ward was horrendous against Korea. Hopefully we won't see him again in this tournament.

I'm very much looking forward to this game tonight. The USA soccer viewing was pretty atrocious yesterday between the Copa game and the one-sided MLS game (even if it was a bonanza for my MLS fantasy team). I should've stuck to what I said on XBL the other day about Copa America being dead to me - all time spent watching last night's game was a total waste. I particularly liked the part where the Columbia goalie received his 2nd yellow for time wasting, yet in doing so it took him 4+ minutes to get off the field, meaning in the end he successfully wasted much more time than if the ref had just let it go.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Any idea if the game tonight is offered in HD?

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

fsquid wrote:Any idea if the game tonight is offered in HD?
I would assume no. I don't know that any of the U-20 coverage is HD anywhere, even in Canada, but hey what do I know?