Soccer thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

For those of you that have this on Tivo or will torrent this I won't give out the score.

All I want to say is Beasley and Dempsey... 8O
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

SPOILERS

What an exciting game today! Mexico gave the boys all they could handle but a brave come from behind win makes it even sweeter. That Fielhaber goal was a magnificent strike and clearly stunned the mexicans.

It is pretty fitting that after years of futility against the US for the Mexican stars, the one man who could finally galvanize Mexico's attack and break down the american defense was their new semi-mexican 'acquisition', Nery Castillo. He was by far their most dangerous player.

I also have to admit I was getting pretty antsy for Ching to come out just before he drew that pk. But Ching battled all day, truly leaving it all on the field and in the end got his job done (though finishing that play for a 2nd goal would've made the game a lot easier).

Random musings:
-Dempsey still has no position, and was generally ineffective. Had the best looks at goal of all American attackers and didn't put any away.

-Bornstein can use his speed well and almost scored a great goal from distance, but I thought he struggled otherwise.

-Beasley - HOW DO YOU MISS THAT!!?

-Definitely Onyewu's best performance of the tournament today

-Good performance from T-Ho

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Just got back from the game and post-game festivities :) It was AMAZING. Detailed impressions to follow, along with some pics. Naples analysis hits it right on the head IMO. I think Borgetti going down was also big, as the Mexicans had a ton of dangerous set pieces in the second half and really missed his size and skill in the air.

Oh, and i have to watch the tape, but pretty much everyone US and Mex supporters alike thought that Ching took a dive. But I don't see much talk of that on around the web, so maybe we were all wrong?
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

It wasn't a dive but it wasn't a harsh foul on Ching. In the replay you could clearly see the foot catch his shin. I think they should have just let it play on.

Onyewu's had an okay game. Not spectacular and he should have done better against the cross for mexico's first goal.

I thought until the long run from Donovan that he was useless. They should have left Dempsey in and Donovan out.

You could definately see who were the player with EPL experience today. I thought Bocanegra was solid while Gooch still looked unsure of himself. I thought Dempsey was creating chances.

Beasley was ok but certainly should have put that one away. I though his crossing was rather poor.

The Fielhaber goal was just sweet however. It was right off the volley, as that would say, "Ohhhh, what a goal!"
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

RobVarak wrote:Oh, and i have to watch the tape, but pretty much everyone US and Mex supporters alike thought that Ching took a dive. But I don't see much talk of that on around the web, so maybe we were all wrong?
There was definitely contact. I've seen harder fouls go uncalled, but I certainly wouldn't say he dove. Ching turned the defender and the defender left his knee and shin hanging out in Ching's path (intentionally IMO).

And I'll never get tired of watching this.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Here's the univision guide to goal scoring.

Gol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - normal, routine but yet exciting goal.

Golazo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - amazing, incredible goal.

Fielhaber GOLAZO.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

What a goal by Fielhaber! Great match - shame I had to watch it on the internet, bloody Sportsnet in Canada decided to show POKER instead......

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Feilhaber = legend ALREADY!

holy s***

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Naples39 wrote:
RobVarak wrote:Oh, and i have to watch the tape, but pretty much everyone US and Mex supporters alike thought that Ching took a dive. But I don't see much talk of that on around the web, so maybe we were all wrong?
There was definitely contact. I've seen harder fouls go uncalled, but I certainly wouldn't say he dove. Ching turned the defender and the defender left his knee and shin hanging out in Ching's path (intentionally IMO).

And I'll never get tired of watching this.
It came at a time when the Americans kept penetrating the box. If that was the first sniff they had in the box it would have never been called. Since it was the third or fourth time that early in the second half it was definitely going to be called.

Dempsey looked lost all game. Beasley is lucky Mexico didn't tie. The Americans continued to show they have a lot to learn about closing a match (yet they always did during the tourney).

Despite all that they still did play very well and I was proud of them. That was one helluva exciting game today. Maybe one day USA and Mexico will be able to play each other with mutal respect rather than dislike. I think today was a first step towards that. Who knows, I could be wrong. Either way today's final was a treat.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

The Ching play was a definite foul. There was solid contact on Ching's leg by the Mexican defender...without that, Ching would have been 1 v 1 versus the keeper from six yards away. Clear penalty (and, from what I remember, neither the Spanish nor American announcers questioned the call).

As for the game...wow. That 2nd half was one of the most exciting I've seen in a while...it's a shame that the game wasn't on some form of national TV. Feilhaber's goal was a stunner...and this was after a lackluster 1st half where he showed no touch whatsoever. He looked nervous out there, but stepped it up. And there were a lot of good performances...Gooch was dominant in the air in the 2nd half, Boca played solidly, Howard...my God, he was excellent (and saved the game w/that point blank save against Bofo), Donovan played well, Clark was an excellent (possibly game changing) sub, Ching created chances...it was excellent. You could quibble with Dempsey, but he did create some chances and was at times dangerous with the ball...but at other times, he looked lost (I wonder if it's because he's playing out of position?).

Rob,

What was the composition of the crowd there? It sounded like 90/10 Mexico fans from what I could hear.

And, since 1999, we are 8-0-1 against Mexico on "home" soil, with nearly every home game being pro-Mexico. USA USA!

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

We had the FSC audio feed at the bar, but this Univision dude just rocks it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5saG-8-UKZI

Eeesh I keep watching it and I still get chills. :D

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

The crowd:

Not 90/10 Mexican. I can safely say that it was 98/2 Mexican. With the exception of Sam's Army, it was tough to find more than 1-2 US fans for every 100 Mexican.

But the crowd was incredibly fun and very respectful. Everyone applauded both national anthems and good plays by the US were frequently given grudging applause. Stadium-wide it seemed that everyone was there for a good time and I was not aware of a single fight.

Personally speaking, I had some absolutely great fans around me. I was on the top level, 6 rows back and dead-on the center line.

The kid next to me was from Mexico, arriving that day and driving right back. All of us had fun teasing each other and mocking the other side's players, but all in good fun. For example at one point I mentioned the lack of red cards and dirty play, and one of the fellas said, "Are you kidding? We're technical!" with a total twinkle in his eye.

Even after the penalty, which was universally seen as inappropriate, I was given high fives by the surrounding Mexican fans when Landycakes converted the kick. And the Mexicans were totally blown away by Benny's goal, of course.

Some morons did pelt the ref with garbage as he was departing, but it was pretty much just the few US fans and drunks left at that point.

The game:

The Rico Clark substitution was clarly game changing. Mastroeni was repeatedly getting caught too far into the attack, and the back line was on its own against counters throughout the first half. Considering the brilliance displayed by Castillo, this was a losing battle, and I think Gooch and Boca particularly did an impressive job considering the lack of cover. I was howling for Clark from about the 20th minute, admittedly in part because I really like the guy, and I think he was a big reason that the defense was so much better composed and organized in the second half.

Dempsey had some terrible luck. His side volley in the first half and that blast that rocketed off of Sanchez's face in the second were well-taken. He just seemed to be the poor sucker who kept running into a keeper who was standing on his head. Donovan and Beasley displayed amazing vision and touch on their passing several times and were a joy to behold. The one-touch sequence in the first half (which ultimately resulted in that Deuce side-volley) was beautiful and had the whole crowd on its feet.

Ching was invisible in the first half, and I think that the proclivity of the team to play early crosses played away from his strength in the air. Neither wing made a concerted effort to get deep in the corners and put in the deep crosses that would feed his game. His strike which hit the post was just agonizing, particularly after such a beautiful pass and dazzling footwork and balance from Ching.

Beasley's miss was...well...bad. :)

Feilhaber misplayed a few balls early, but he was much better throughout the second half and did a nice job killing time with Ricardo Clark down the stretch. I lack the words to explain how transcendent his goal was. I have a new appreciation for the phrase "wonder goal," as even a minute after it happened I almost literally couldn't believe it. It was as if someone had sprouted wings flown the length of the field.

I think the US defense on set pieces was SHOCKING! Every second-half CK and FK was poorly defended, in part because they wisened up and stopped playing balls into the vicinity of Gooch. That really needs to improve. We were fortunate to avoid yielding a goal off of one of those set-pieces, and that is due in part to Borgetti's injury.

I loved the added bonus of being able to boo Sepp Blatter in person. Not every day that you get to voice your displeasure at an evil oligarch, and I highly recommend it. It was awesome to see a half-naked Frankie Hejduk shaking his hand LOL

All in all it was just an amazing experience. The noise was impressive, but not nearly as impressive as the silence as the reality of Benny's goal sunk in. And the joy of basking in the victory with the team and the few US fans that were there was amazing.

And hey, it's on the front page of the Tribune today!!

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Someone forgot to tell Becks what Football is in NA. :lol:

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

The game here in San Diego was 4.0 rating and that is the univision feed by itself. If you add the FSC number...which isn't on record....the number pushes towrds 5.0 according to our local paper which they pointed out was much muhc larger then the Stanley Cup Finals and might even be bigger then the NBA Finals here in SD.

The TV/Radio columnist is finally putting the soccer ratings in the weekly rating segment after my weekly calls complaining. He always mentions how the LPGA got a .5 rating but always ignores soccer. I called the Anti-Mexican race card on him and I guess he finally got the point.

I've now seen Feilhaber's goal 100 times and it still isn't getting old.

I was on pins and needles the whole game and screaming after his goal and drying out loud when Ching and Beasley missed their open nets.

What a game...what a game. We'll see how far we've come tomorrow against Argentina's A team. If we hang with them...even a close 1-0 or 2-1 result...heck maybe a draw...the world will take notice.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Oh Hush, pff world will take notice.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Argentina controlled the game from the get go. No surprises with the rosters they got. Although they lacked imagination in the first half and the US was tight in checking the Blue & White stars, the entrance of Pablo Aimar in the second half changed the complexity of the game. Crespo and Tevez don't forgive when you give them a chance and J.R. Riquelme is in a totally different category all on his own. The most dangerous man for the US was Eddy Johnson playing for Kansas.

A team that surprised me today was Paraguay. After Colombia missed the PK, mentally they went downhill and the D was incredibly soft. The temperature had to somethig to do with it, but to give up goals?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

10spro wrote:Argentina controlled the game from the get go.
:?: They may have had possession, but the US was creating great chances on the counter and clearly making the Argentines uncomfortable with their pressure. Messi in particular was flat-out frustrated on the right the entire half. They were very much taken out of their game in the first half.

As you mention, Argentina didn't really get it together until after the switch to Aimar. More importantly, the US clearly couldn't keep up the level of pressure that they were applying for long. And once the Argentines scored the second they had all the space in the world to pick apart the tired and desperate US side.

I thought it was one hell of a brave performance by the US. They didn't back down from the more experienced Argentines and were clearly not intimidated. Bradley got his tactics right and really had this side ready to play despite the short break between the two tournaments. Kudos to them for not playing 11 behind the ball.

And I think it's clear now that there are two Eddie Johnson's wandering the earth. Which one will suit up for any given game is a mystery.

--Edit

Keller stunk.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

--Minor rant warning--

I just don't get how many soccer writers and fans are pimping the ratings for the USA-Mexico match. Yeah, it got good ratings on a spanish language channel aimed towards Mexicans, but is anyone at all surprised that the millions of Mexicans living in the US love to watch El Tri? On the english side of things, FSC isn't even rated so no even knows how many english speaking Americans even watched the match. I love soccer as much as anyone here and want it to succeed in America, but the ratings numbers for this game are completely meaningless IMO. I'll take note that soccer is growing when those high ratings come in for a match broadcast in english that doesn't involve the Mexican NT.

--rant over--

Otherwise, about the expected result for the boys last night. Unfortunately I missed the first half, and what I saw of the second half the US didn't show much of anything. Eddie Gaven out there is killing me though -- guy can barely get a start for the Columbus Crew for crying out loud.

I am looking forward to checking out the US U-20 game on Saturday though. 5pm EST time on ESPNU for those interested.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

RobVarak wrote:
10spro wrote:Argentina controlled the game from the get go.
:?: They may have had possession, but the US was creating great chances on the counter and clearly making the Argentines uncomfortable with their pressure. Messi in particular was flat-out frustrated on the right the entire half. They were very much taken out of their game in the first half.
To me, possession of the ball is controlling the tempo of the game. Argentina didn't dominate gameplay (if that's what you're thinking) in the 1st half as much as they did in the second, because they lacked the imagination and mobility that Aimar brought them in the second. Messi didn't have a partner to dance with but he was dangerous all night and with two to three men on him whenever he had possesion of the ball. The Americans did well to control him.

Chances :?: Not many on either side in the 1st half. Including the PK and the poorly executed free kick by Feilhaber I counted only two good chances of scoring for the US. What they should have done is to continue to explore the speed of Johnson on the right side as G. Milito and G. Heinze looked a bit out of sync on the Argentines' left side, especially with Heinze on the attack.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The U-20 tournament starts tomorrow and a player to follow is Brazilian Alexandre Pato. Only 17 years old, has great footskills and his headers are dangerous. His full name is Alexandre Rodrigues Da Silva.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I'll take note that soccer is growing when those high ratings come in for a match broadcast in english that doesn't involve the Mexican NT.[quote][/quote]

The ratings were higher for that for many of the World Cup games last summer. Ratings ranged from 2.9 to 8.3 for the tournament.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

fsquid wrote:I'll take note that soccer is growing when those high ratings come in for a match broadcast in english that doesn't involve the Mexican NT.
The ratings were higher for that for many of the World Cup games last summer. Ratings ranged from 2.9 to 8.3 for the tournament.
I'm not sure I follow your point. My point is that we don't even have ratings for the english broadcast of the gold cup, all we know is that a lot of mexicans watched the mexican national team play a big game. Do you happen to know that the spanish language ratings for mexico's WC matches in the US?

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Naples39 wrote:
fsquid wrote:I'll take note that soccer is growing when those high ratings come in for a match broadcast in english that doesn't involve the Mexican NT.
I'm not sure I follow your point. My point is that we don't even have ratings for the english broadcast of the gold cup, all we know is that a lot of mexicans watched the mexican national team play a big game. Do you happen to know that the spanish language ratings for mexico's WC matches in the US?
No, those were the English ratings on ABC/ESPN. The Spanish right belonged to Univision and I didn't research those. I just researched the others when my Uncle said golf got better ratings.

black_dynamite
Mario Mendoza

Post by black_dynamite »

I'm surprised no one has been talking about the U-20 World Cup that has just taken place. There was some good action on the first two days of the tourney which saw Brazil getting upset by Poland and a great game that took place between Spain and Uruguay.

However that being said it was readily apparent to me that Canada has a <b>long</b> way to go before we are even remotely competitive in world soccer let alone even here at the youth level. They got completely pulverized by Chile who are considered the weakest of the South American competition in this tournament. It took Canada <b>66 minutes before they could manage their first shot on goal</b>. However I definitely have to give Chile credit where credit is due since they were spectacular all game round (well except for the instances where they were feigning injury which really pissed off the crowd, myself included). They completely controlled possession of the game, their passing was phenomenal, their technical ability was outstanding, and they did a marvelous job of completely shutting down Jaime Peters our most explosive player on the Canadian team.

What irked me the most about the game was our lack of speed in the first half in the striker position. Not to take anything away from Lombardo but he was really lacking in the speed department in getting balls in which Rickets had he come on earlier in the game probably would have gotten. So many times his back was to the ball but that really shouldn't be blamed on him since the team's passing overall was absolutely attrocious. The team attempted to fire the long ball passes which were quickly getting intercepted by the Chileans and man what really hurt Canada the most was the fact we could never do anything with the ball once we got possession. The Chileans were remarkable in shutting down any offensive threat Canada attempted to muster.

The Canadians have to put this game behind them and prepare for Austria on the 5th. The good thing about this game was it should serve as a real eye opener as to what Canada really needs to work on in preparation for the Austrians (in my opinion their passing needs a serious remedy). Chile was the toughest opponent that Canada had to take on in their group but Austria isn't going to be any easier and Canada really need to get it in gear and win this game or their chances of making it to the next round are very slim.