OT: Late the Civilization 4 Party

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Late the Civilization 4 Party

Post by JRod »

I picked this one up on the 4th after debating whether I would like it or not. I've never really had a computer that could handle even this game. It runs surprisingly fast on my iMac bootcamp. I was going to get the Mac version but I thought if I wanted the add-on pack I better get it for the PC.

I have never really gotten in the Civ 4 mania even though I bought Civ 3 gold but just could not get into it.

Well I sat down around 6 to install and played until 10. (Ya ya no 4th celebration for me as I can't leave my dog outside due to the fireworks.) It is an engrossing game even though I don't know what's really going on. After playing Civ, I like the turnbased strategy better than the real-time strategy in games like Europa Universalis, and Hearts of Iron. Time advances quickly in this game. In a few hours you can quickly get to later stages.

I have zero clue what I'm doing and I seemed to only scratch the surface of the interface and what's under the hood. That may be part of the beauty of the game -- it's simple to start out.

Anyway, I thought I'd post since I'm sure some of you have or are playing Civ 4.

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

I need to get this game, I loved the original Civ and Civ 2. Never played Civ 3 though.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

So the Mac version is finally out? Uh oh. Civ. IV here I come. . .

ubrakto
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by ubrakto »

Civ IV is easily the best of the series, IMO, and far, far better than Civ 3 (which I think took a step back). I've had it shelved for the past couple months, but for about three months straight it absolutely consumed my world. When the expansion comes out, it'll like grab hold of me yet again.
---Todd

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

One of the factors in the purchase was Todd's posts on the blog.

Todd, have you downloaded any of the mods from Civ fanatic?

ubrakto
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by ubrakto »

Actually, no. I was so enamored with the stock gameplay (plus patches) I really didn't even get to looking at which mods might be fun. I was on a mission to play a game with each of the different leaders, which deep down I knew that wouldn't happen (maybe if I didn't have kids now), but I did get roughly halfway there.

The Russians and British, I thought made for great civs thanks to their special unit of Redcoats and Cossacks, respectively. Likewise, the Financial trait both Brit rulers get (Elizabeth and ???) is a huge boon.

There are some good strategy guides from players at both CivFanatics and Apolyton. I don't have direct links handy, but I did download a couple of them. If you think you'd find them useful PM me your email and I'll send them to you.
----Todd

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I would like to note that this game is fantastic playing online as well. I have a group of 4 others guys and we play a game, finish and start another. You can play co-op, vs, with AI Civs. It's great playing online, the game saves and you can pick up whenever, there is little downtime with the new turn options. If you want a fast game you can set that up as well.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

i am looking forward to the CIVcity:rome game that comes out on the 24th.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Does anyone know how to get a city back after you lose it. I'm not talking from war.

I went to war against Ghandi because he built a city right in the middle of my empire. I wasn't going to have that so...WAR!. I take two of his cities and call it a good war. One of the cities was on the border of the English, Indians and myself. Well I lost it for whatever reason. Probably has to do with culture.

Is there a way to get it back without going to war. My war set me back a few hundred years and the English have Redcoats so that will be a losing battle.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

JRod wrote:Does anyone know how to get a city back after you lose it. I'm not talking from war.

Was it originally your city? or one you took over?

I havent played in months but I think you are right and it has to do with culture...You need to watch what you build in your cities. Balance the cultural improvements with the military and economic...If your neighbor has a much greater culture his influence will envelop your border cities.

Edit...even if you do get it back by war...chances are you will just lose it again for the same reason.

I need to fire this one back up again...When I first got it I played 6-8 hours a day...Thats the problem with the game though.... 6-8 hours just fly by...

ubrakto
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by ubrakto »

XXXIV's answer sounds right. If you lose a city to a cultural flip, the first thing you need to do (to the best of my memory) is stabalize your cultural influence in that area of the map and keep that of your opponent's from doing more damage.

However, cultural flips in this game, I think, take too long to occur; so I wouldn't recommend just waiting for it to flip back. You could end up waiting the whole game for that. If you want that city back, the fastest course is probably to build your culture up in the area and then take it back. (If you can spawn a Great Entertainer, you could take the city back and then send him in to instantly flip it back to you without the long process of suppressing the populace.)

Also, have you noticed the population makeup up bar on your city screens? (It took me a while to notice it.) You definitely need to watch that meter in border cities, since it'll tell you what percentage of your population belongs to a specific culture/nation. If your people end up in the minority the city has an increased chance of flipping. If one is in danger of flipping, you can also adjust your military presence and government civics to help keep it from flipping while you try to build up its culture.
---Todd

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Civilization Revolution demo came out a few days ago for the 360 and ps3.

I could never really get into the game on the pc for some reason, but I've played the demo 3 times now for hours and this has become a purchase for me.

They really did a great job with a game like this on a console and it seems easier for me to know what's going on and what to do.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

MizzouRah wrote:Civilization Revolution demo came out a few days ago for the 360 and ps3.

I could never really get into the game on the pc for some reason, but I've played the demo 3 times now for hours and this has become a purchase for me.

They really did a great job with a game like this on a console and it seems easier for me to know what's going on and what to do.

Holy thread save Batman!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

pigpen81 wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:Civilization Revolution demo came out a few days ago for the 360 and ps3.

Holy thread save Batman!
Wow.. I just noticed it was almost 2 years ago since the last post!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

When I saw this thread title my first reaction was "no kidding your late" and then I realized it was brought back from the dead. :)
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I tried the C:R demo as well and really dug it. I'd never played Civilization because of PC performance issues. I am thinking about picking it up as well.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Danimal wrote:When I saw this thread title my first reaction was "no kidding your late" and then I realized it was brought back from the dead. :)
You think I want db on my ass? :D

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Brando70 wrote:I tried the C:R demo as well and really dug it. I'd never played Civilization because of PC performance issues. I am thinking about picking it up as well.
I pre-ordered it today. I've played the demo many times now, so that's a good indication I need to get it.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Another review

http://www.gamestyle.net/articles/1512

Anyone going to get this?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Zlax45 wrote: Anyone going to get this?
Absolutely!! I'm really looking forward to it.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

slyguy
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by slyguy »

The demo had me hooked. I am all over this when it drops on the 8th

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

It's next on my list after I finish NG II.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

The demo plays like Civ Lite...Not a bad thing but Im not so sure I shouldnt just boot up Civ IV instead.

Im a HUGE fan of the series and I played the hell out of CIVs I,II and IV.

Im hoping I can keep it in my pants and wait for some impressions from some Civ vets when the game is out before I buy.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

ANy DSPers pick this up yet?