Roethlisberger in motorcycle accident

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Roethlisberger in motorcycle accident

Post by webdanzer »

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/PIT/9493892

Witnesses supposedly say his head hit a car's windshield, no word on whether or not he was wearing a helmet.

He was brought in alert and conscious, no condition otherwise released.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Eh, news enough to transcend the general thread, IMO, but thanks!

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

i agree w/web....

would have never looked in that thread...

dumbASS...

(ben...not db)

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

You are just asking for it if you do not wear a helmet. Motorcycles are scary enough but not wearing the helmet is just plain retarded. I hope he can recover.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has detailed the severity of Ben Roethlisberger's injuries.
"Roethlisberger lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone, suffered a nine-inch laceration to the back of his head and a broken jaw, and severely injured both of his knees when he hit the ground," police said. The police are conducting a 3 PM EST press conference. Jun. 12 - 3:00 pm et
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

Ouch. Not good.

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

I guess he was exercising his right to not wear a helmet...pretty stupid if you ask me. My wife is an ER doc and she tells me that back before the helmet laws motorcycles were referred to as "donorcycles", obviously making reference to organ donor programs. Nice job Ben!

While we are at it...didnt Kellen Winslow Jr and Jayson Williams screw up their careers in motorcycle accidents? I cant recall if Bobby Hurley was in a car or motorcycle accident.

I'm not against motorcycles. I'm just assuming that in each of these instances these were guys riding their toys, acting invincible, and not using common sense.

Tony

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

MUTTS wrote:didnt Kellen Winslow Jr and Jayson Williams screw up their careers in motorcycle accidents?
Tony
yep.

rayray00
Mario Mendoza

Post by rayray00 »

and their current #1 backup QB is....

CHARLIE BATCH!!! 8O

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Is wearing a helmet not mandatory in the US ?
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Nope, in PA you don't have to wear one.

It was funny a while back on the local news when a biker organization was on the news saying how the number if injuries had been cut to half since the no-helmet law was enacted. The following day a doctors group was on the news saying yes, but the number of deaths had doubled.

I used to ride a bike, and no way would I EVER ride without a helmet.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

davet010 wrote:Is wearing a helmet not mandatory in the US ?
Dave:

There is no Federal law about wearing a helmet. It's up to each state to set its requirements.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

davet010 wrote:Is wearing a helmet not mandatory in the US ?
State laws apply. I think about 20 states require helmets, and 30 either have no laws or have laws that exempt adult riders.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I'm glad the kid didn't kill himself. He's extremely fortunate. It doesn't look like the injuries are career threatening and maybe not even season threatening. I'll breathe easier when I hear it from the doctors:

http://www.post-gazette.com/downloads/2 ... date02.mp3

billharris44
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by billharris44 »

Leebo, great link--thanks.

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

With him and Carson Palmer both potentially missing time this season, that division could really be open.
-BK

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

rayray00 wrote:and their current #1 backup QB is....

CHARLIE BATCH!!! 8O
Well, they have Omar Jacobs. :lol:

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

Now I see why there are actual laws to protect some people. After seeing his interview that aired last year about motorcycles I can say he is truely an idiot.

Yet, of course I hope he gets better.

I live in Georgia near the SC state line. Often I see drivers stop right before they get into Georgia (you are not requred to wear a helmet in SC) to put on a helmet.

You wouldn't screw a whore whitout wearing a condom even though it would be perfectly legal to go unprotected.....

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Way to mess with what started out as potentilally a HoF career...If you must ride the suicide machine at least wear a damn helmet...

I do hope he fully recovers and gets back on the field as soon as possible. I like watching him play...

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

Whats REALLY Ironic is that when Winslow Jr wrecked his motorcycle, ESPN did a skit on athletes and motorcycles. It may have been on Sports Reporters but I am not sure. Anyhow, Ben was interviewed and asked about wearing a helmet and asked about athletes that were not allowed to ride per their contract. He also talked about the fact that Coach Coward ( I dont like him) was not fond of him riding his bike, but Ben always reminded him that he was safe and wore a helmet..BLAH BLAH BLAH.

It sucks, I know lots of guys who ride cruisers and dont wear helmets. I owned sportbikes and I always wore mine and it saved my life one afternoon. I know I probably wouldnt be here without one. Would I wear one if I had a cruiser (Harley) maybe not. I feel sorry for the guy and lots of people will critisize him and what not but he was living his life, doing something he enjoyed and an accident happened. Its unfortunate.

Also, I am against helmet laws if it matters to anyone. The government tells us what to do enough as it is, if joe blow wants to ride a motorcycle with no helmet and chance death and serious injury, then thats J. Blows choice
XBL: Nozzleman 216
PSN: Nozzleman_216

jondiehl
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jondiehl »

Diablo25 wrote:
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has detailed the severity of Ben Roethlisberger's injuries.
"Roethlisberger lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone, suffered a nine-inch laceration to the back of his head and a broken jaw, and severely injured both of his knees when he hit the ground," police said. The police are conducting a 3 PM EST press conference. Jun. 12 - 3:00 pm et
Wow, I guess he won't be needing a mouthpiece anymore. He can just do like hockey players and take out their fake teeth before they play. :lol:
XBoxJon
[url=http://live.xbox.com/member/XBoxJon]Gamer Profile[/url]
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-us/profile/MessageCenter/SendMessage.aspx?gt=XBoxJon]Send me a XBL message[/url]

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

SEMINOLE wrote:Also, I am against helmet laws if it matters to anyone. The government tells us what to do enough as it is, if joe blow wants to ride a motorcycle with no helmet and chance death and serious injury, then thats J. Blows choice
No, people who get injured or killed in motorcycle accidents are a drain on the rest of society. Even if they go head first in to a tree and die immediately, the taxpayers still have to cough up for the police, ambulance, etc. to come clean up the mess. That's why almost every other Western country makes it illegal to ride motorbikes without a helmet.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

One thing I've been seeing alot on the highways (not streets) where I live around is these guys on fast motorcycles doing wheelies and other very risky tricks in somewhat busy traffic on weekends.

I dont know what the heck they are trying to prove by this but even if they are on the other side of the highway, one bad bump in the road and that bike will fly accross lanes into the opposite lane you may be in and thats it, you're both done.

Never see cops around when these guys are doing these tricks.

maddoc1979
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by maddoc1979 »

I think there are some laws in a few states that limit the damages a motorcycle rider can collect if he is in an accident and found to not be wearing a helmet. The assumption being that if the helmet was worn, the injuries suffered wouldn't be near as great. Of course, this does nothing when the person riding the motorcycle is at fault, and the way some of these guys ride, they often are.

As someone who's seen them, there are few things as horrific as some of these motorcycle injuries. Unbelievable what pavement can do to a human body moving at 60 miles an hour across the surface.

Doc