So, you think ARod makes too much money?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

So, you think ARod makes too much money?

Post by pk500 »

The contract between seven-time Formula One World Champion Michael Schumacher and Ferrari expires after this season, and Ferrari is rumored to have offered Schumi a two-year extension worth <b>$45 million</b> per year.

It's only a small raise, as Ferrari pays Schumacher somewhere around $30-35 million per season in salary now. ;)

It's estimated that when Schumacher finally retires, whether it's after this season, next season or in two seasons, that he will have earned more than <b>$1 billion</b> in income from salary, bonuses and endorsements during his F1 career, which started in 1991.

That's some serious coin.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

I think Tiger and Lebron have the potential to earn 1 billion in salary and endorsements before their careers are up thanks to MJ opening the door for them.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Tiger should do it easily, as he and Schumacher are neck-and-neck right now for the title of No. 1-earning athlete in the world. Plus golfers' careers last much longer than drivers'.

Lebron? Depends on how long he plays. Schumacher has earned approximately $80 million per year in salary, bonuses and endorsements since he signed with Ferrari in 1996. I don't think Lebron is making that kind of overall cake -- yet.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

CincyKid
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by CincyKid »

i dont think comparing lebron works as even if he did

some race car driver..or tiger will make more regaurdless

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

I bet 95 percent of this country could not recognize Schumacher :lol:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Zlax45 wrote:I bet 95 percent of this country could not recognize Schumacher :lol:
True, which is exactly why he and his family go on vacation every year in the States, usually in the Southwest or Texas/Oklahoma. Last year, he and his wife were in Oklahoma for a week at horse shows between the Canadian and U.S. Grands Prix, as Corinna Schumacher owns and rides horses.

Otherwise, the relevance of your point?

Take care,
PK

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

pk500 wrote:
Zlax45 wrote:I bet 95 percent of this country could not recognize Schumacher :lol:
True, which is exactly why he and his family go on vacation every year in the States, usually in the Southwest or Texas/Oklahoma. Last year, he and his wife were in Oklahoma for a week at horse shows between the Canadian and U.S. Grands Prix, as Corinna Schumacher owns and rides horses.

Otherwise, the relevance of your point?

Take care,
PK
The relevance of my point is that the current sporting structure of America is always focused on US sports and they never look at World Sports as much as we should. Look at the sports that are popular around the world. Soccer and F1 racing and both sports struggle in this country. I am not saying it is right but it is what it is.

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

Zlax45 wrote: The relevance of my point is that the current sporting structure of America is always focused on US sports...
Imagine that... :wink:
"Whatever, I don't know why you even play yourself to that degree,
you laugh at me?" - Del

"Said the whisper to the secret..." - King's X

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Kazuya wrote:
Zlax45 wrote: The relevance of my point is that the current sporting structure of America is always focused on US sports...
You know what I mean...Do you see the rest of the world as disinterested in World Sports?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Zlax45 wrote:
Kazuya wrote:
You know what I mean...Do you see the rest of the world as disinterested in World Sports?
Conversely, do you see the rest of the world as interested in American sports, outside of the championship events?

Take England, for example. Does it really care about the NBA, NHL and Major League Baseball, especially during the regular season? Doubtful.

And I know all of Europe and Asia scoffs at NASCAR even though it's the 1,000-pound monolith of American motorsport.

Yes, most Americans have blinkers on regarding world sport. But it's not like Europeans and Asians are incredibly keen on American sport, either.

Take care,
PK

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

Zlax45 wrote:
Kazuya wrote:
Probably not, but it's difficult to say since the major leagues that are here (that people are interested in) are generally considered to be the best in the world. If people ever started giving a flip about football (soccer) here, it would be interesting to see if people would gravitate more to the superior leagues outside of the US.

I don't really care about any sports leagues that aren't in the US, not because of any bias but just because I've got more than enough to follow as it is. I don't know where I'm going to squeeze cricket in.
you laugh at me?" - Del

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I hope Dave Littlefield doesn't read this thread. He may try to renegotiate Jack Wilson's contract.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

But there's one universal sports everyone enjoys, whether it's in America or the rest of the World: Football, Futbol, Soccer, Calcio. :)

Is there a WC coming up?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I always use my blinkers when I change channels that may contain events taking place outside of the states.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I always use my blinkers when I change channels that may contain events taking place outside of the states.
Make sure you're wearing this when you do it, too:

Those would be horse racing blinkers, FYI.

Take care,
PK

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Wow...a bdoughty wannabe. Well done.

I am well aware of what horse blinkers are bro...my uncle does own race horses back in the midwest.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I just thought it would look good with the leather bondage outfit, that's all.

Take care,
PK

jondiehl
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jondiehl »

Schumi does make a ton of coin, but then again, Arod is playing a team sport and he isn't risking his life like a race car driver (even though the risks of dying in a F1 car are pretty slim now with the safety enhancements). Also, he may be the best F1 driver ever... Arod can't say that he's the best ever in MLB, he's not even the best active player in MLB anymore. I think he deserves every penny from Ferrari.
XBoxJon
[url=http://live.xbox.com/member/XBoxJon]Gamer Profile[/url]
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-us/profile/MessageCenter/SendMessage.aspx?gt=XBoxJon]Send me a XBL message[/url]

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Jon:

I agree. The guy has paid back Ferrari during his 10-plus with the Scuderia, and then some.

Take care,
PK

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Which brings me to this question. Arguably Ronaldinho is the best player in the world. We are talking about a sport that's popular worldwide, maybe not so much in NA but it's coming along. How much he gets payed in Barcelona? For some reason I have a feeling he's underpayed.

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

jondiehl wrote:Schumi does make a ton of coin, but then again, Arod is playing a team sport and he isn't risking his life like a race car driver (even though the risks of dying in a F1 car are pretty slim now with the safety enhancements). Also, he may be the best F1 driver ever... Arod can't say that he's the best ever in MLB, he's not even the best active player in MLB anymore. I think he deserves every penny from Ferrari.
Rodriguez is pretty obviously still the best player in baseball. But when standing around at first base catching balls (and doing a crummy job of it) becomes more important than playing GG defense at SS, I've got a perfect candidate to knock Rodriguez out of the top spot. Until then...
you laugh at me?" - Del

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Ronaldinho makes a pittance compared to Schumacher. The Ron recently surpassed Beckham as the world's highest-paid footballer, combining salary, bonuses and endorsements, at an estimated $28.8 million US per year.

That's about a third of Schumi and Tiger Woods' respective annual takes.

I don't know about golf, but I know no one else in worldwide motorsport is anywhere near Schumacher's annual take. I'd be surprised if No. 2 on the motorsports rich list makes more than Ronaldinho. Maybe Dale Earnhardt Jr., when you add in trash-and-trinkets' revenue. I bet he's around $25-30 million per year.

Take care,
PK

jondiehl
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jondiehl »

Kazuya wrote:Rodriguez is pretty obviously still the best player in baseball.
"Obviously" still the best player in MLB? You can argue that he's among the best, but he's not a clear cut best (not even on his own team, this year so far). Pujols has the best numbers of anyone, hands down, and his first 5yrs of numbers are in the rare company of noone in all of MLB history. If you look at career averages btw the 2 players (per 162 games played), they have similar HR and RBI averages per year, but the batting average, OBP, slugging are all clearly in favor of Pujols (who also K's about half as much as Arod). Not saying that Arod isn't a stud, that's no question, but to say he's "obviously still the best" I don't think you'll get many to agree with you there that have been watching NL baseball the last 5yrs.

As for the 1B/defense comment, you're probably talking about Ortiz?? and surely not Pujols (who plays defense at 1B quite well... don't forget he started as a 3B until Rolen came along). Not to mention, A-Rod isn't a SS anymore and hasn't played the position in a significant amount since he was in Dallas in '03. Good defense at 1B is just as important as anywhere else... they can take away hits just like a great SS can, by getting an extra stretch for the ball, stopping doubles that would get to the corner, and preventing errors from errant throws from 3B/SS.
XBoxJon
[url=http://live.xbox.com/member/XBoxJon]Gamer Profile[/url]
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-us/profile/MessageCenter/SendMessage.aspx?gt=XBoxJon]Send me a XBL message[/url]

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I always use my blinkers when I change channels that may contain events taking place outside of the states.

Ya i got to agree, I dont see the point of this post. It looks more like with the nba and nhl playoffs, a racing fan is stranded in the middle of the ocean waving his hands yelling 'me me, look at me, don't forget racing'.

It could have been done better imo.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Inuyasha wrote:

Ya i got to agree, I dont see the point of this post. It looks more like with the nba and nhl playoffs, a racing fan is stranded in the middle of the ocean waving his hands yelling 'me me, look at me, don't forget racing'.

It could have been done better imo.
Nice try, Kreskin. There are plenty of racing fans on this board, so no one needs to shoot a signal flare to get motorsports some love.

The point I was trying to make, and I think everyone caught it but you, was that Ferrari is offering Schumacher a SH*TLOAD of money for two more years. I made the comparison to A-Rod because I think he's the highest-paid athlete in an American stick-and-ball sport.

Maybe you need to start reading Joyce's "Ulysses" or "Finnegan's Wake" tonight, as you're reading just a smidge too deep into this post. Just a smidge.

P.S.: I guess you also conveniently missed that I started the Stanley Cup Playoffs thread and have made a zillion posts in it and most hockey threads all season long. Also, did you miss my avatar? In the meantime, time to load another flare in the racing signal gun ... :roll:

Take care,
PK
Last edited by pk500 on Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.