EA's NFL Head Coach

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

EA's NFL Head Coach

Post by Badgun »

Not sure how much interest that this game is going to generate, but I am pretty excited about it, especially after reading this preview at IGN. I really like the sound of this game and I think I'm actually more excited about this one than I am about Madden 07.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/699/699404p1.html

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I've been keeping an eye on this one as well. I always said a game like FOF with the graphics of Madden would be like crack.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I like it already:

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Leebo33 wrote:I like it already:

You sure about that??? It's an EA cover, your coach is now going to go down for the season with gout, or malaria or something...

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

Better wrap that cover in *two* shrinkwraps!
"Whatever, I don't know why you even play yourself to that degree,
you laugh at me?" - Del

"Said the whisper to the secret..." - King's X

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

I'm hoping for the best but it took EA many tries to get their soccer management titles into a playable state. I suppose it helps that they have a viable Madden franchise engine to build on, so it's not like they're starting from scratch. Hopefully, interest will be high enough for a US Football game that EA will commit the necessary long term dev resources to it.

It would suck if they released it only to drop it like FOF2 (or whatever the EA e-release version was called) or F1 Manager.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I am very curious. Back-compat and a reduced price would seal the deal, really. I wouldn't be able to resist!

I did see a few screens. One I saw made it seem they were using the Madden sim engine: rushing yards for both teams were about 20 total, pass yards between the two, about 170 total. I sure hope it's not as screwed up as the sim engine in Madden 360, where feature backs were averaging 12 to 15 carries a game at most.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

sfz_T-car wrote:I'm hoping for the best but it took EA many tries to get their soccer management titles into a playable state.
Playable - after about 7 iterations, just about. And that's after basing the thing on a German football management game, not developing it from scratch.

Good or realistic - nope. Not even close.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

davet010 wrote:
sfz_T-car wrote:I'm hoping for the best but it took EA many tries to get their soccer management titles into a playable state.
Playable - after about 7 iterations, just about. And that's after basing the thing on a German football management game, not developing it from scratch.

Good or realistic - nope. Not even close.
Yeah, that's my concern. Little bugs in the game stats, trading AI or financial model can totally kill a management sim. The margin for error is much smaller than an action based game, where an inaccurate game can still be fun. I don't think I even made it to Halloween of season #1 with the first version of EA's FIFA Manager game (the one w/ Bobby Robson as the coverboy).

A game like SimCity or Railroad Tycoon can get away with a higher degree of abstraction than a football (pick round or oval) management sim, because the sports gamer is so familiar with what makes sense in the real-life event.

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

A huge, huge concern is the publisher. EA Sports and hardcore simulation doesn't really go hand in hand. I'd love for this to be great because the marriage between text sim and graphics package is long overdue -- but the skepticism glasses are firmly in place until the game gives me reason to take them off.
No High Scores:
http://www.nohighscores.com/

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Does this mean the game will play conservative in big games and hoping the refs to bail you out :)

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Inuyasha wrote:

Does this mean the game will play conservative in big games and hoping the refs to bail you out :)
Sure, but you won't be able to unlock the "Chuck Noll" or "NE Head Coach" XBL achievements if you play that way. However, you will still be able to unlock the "coach your hometown team for 2 decades, be a local legend loved by millions, have a job for life, make tens of millions of dollars, NFL Hall of Fame" achievement. :D

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

And lets face it, if i hit keys at random or when under the influence of hallucinogenic drugs, i couldn't do a worse job as head coach than some of the idiots who held the reins at Cincinnati during the 90s, or be a worse owner than the Bidwells.

Plus, in contrast to my FM2006 antics...I can't be relegated either.

:D
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

I have a wait and see approach with this game..I like what I see but EA sometimes is supect with new stuff but NCAA MVP Baseball is a very solid game and Godfather is very good too.

laurenskye
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by laurenskye »

davet010 wrote:And lets face it, if i hit keys at random or when under the influence of hallucinogenic drugs, i couldn't do a worse job as head coach than some of the idiots who held the reins at Cincinnati during the 90s, or be a worse owner than the Bidwells.

Plus, in contrast to my FM2006 antics...I can't be relegated either.

:D
How about the Fords.
One playoff win in 50 years says it all . :x

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Trailer and a video are up. I might be the only one excited about this game, but the more I read and see i think the initial offering is going to be decent.

Now all I need is a game like OOTP to put an MVP graphics engine on a manage only baseball game and I'll be happy.

http://www.easports.com/nflheadcoach/th ... dia=videos
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

I'm stoked about the next OOTP because Sports Interactive is involved this time. Previous OOTP games have been deep but have been lacking in immersiveness and UI. These are two departments where SI's CM/FM games have been excellent.

The graphics engine is more important to a football management sim than for baseball because the playcalling elements are more important. I'm not patient enough to slow sim a 162 game baseball season.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

sfz_T-car wrote:I'm stoked about the next OOTP because Sports Interactive is involved this time. Previous OOTP games have been deep but have been lacking in immersiveness and UI. These are two departments where SI's CM/FM games have been excellent.

The graphics engine is more important to a football management sim than for baseball because the playcalling elements are more important. I'm not patient enough to slow sim a 162 game baseball season.
While I hear what your saying, I still think back to Microleague baseball, I literally played probably over a thousand hours of that game. I can't get into text sims anymore, something happened to me :)

I still think a graphical / management based game has a market, so i still hold out hope for the next Microleague.
Follow Me on:

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

Danimal wrote:Trailer and a video are up. I might be the only one excited about this game, but the more I read and see i think the initial offering is going to be decent.

Now all I need is a game like OOTP to put an MVP graphics engine on a manage only baseball game and I'll be happy.

You're not the only one. I may be more excited about this game than I am about Madden. I love the concept of the game and if they pull it off, it will definitely get more time than Madden will for me.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Badgun wrote:
Danimal wrote:Trailer and a video are up. I might be the only one excited about this game, but the more I read and see i think the initial offering is going to be decent.

You're not the only one. I may be more excited about this game than I am about Madden. I love the concept of the game and if they pull it off, it will definitely get more time than Madden will for me.
I wouldn't even buy Madden if this game is as good as it looks and sounds. Watching those two new clips really make me want this game even more.

Talk about forgetting what day it is... this game could really have an immersion level.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

New Screens up at IGN, this link is to the PC, they posted new shots for all 3 versions

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/776/776738/imgs_1.html
Follow Me on:

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

MizzouRah wrote:
Badgun wrote:

I wouldn't even buy Madden if this game is as good as it looks and sounds. Watching those two new clips really make me want this game even more.

Talk about forgetting what day it is... this game could really have an immersion level.
As is the experience from EA's soccer management game. All you are getting is Madden in coach mode. So if you hate the Madden engine...
Last edited by JRod on Tue May 02, 2006 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

JRod wrote: As is the experience from EA's soccer management screens. All you are getting is Madden in coach mode. So if you hate the Madden engine...
Perhaps you should read a little something on the game before commenting. I have no idea if this game will be good or suck, but what I've read is pretty encouraging and certainly doesn't sound anything like madden's coach mode.
Follow Me on:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Badgun wrote:

I'm in the same boat, Bad. If NickChew or others release 2006 rosters for NFL 2K5, the two-pronged animal of that game and EA's Head Coach will more than satisfy my virtual football jones this fall.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

JRod wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:
Badgun wrote: You're not the only one. I may be more excited about this game than I am about Madden. I love the concept of the game and if they pull it off, it will definitely get more time than Madden will for me.

As is the experience from EA's soccer management screens. All you are getting is Madden in coach mode. So if you hate the Madden engine...
I have no issues with the Madden engine, although I really liked NFL 2k5. That being said, Madden in coach mode, but with a sim style coaching game is exactly what I've been looking for since FPS Football '97