OT: New Music?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

A couple of more recent additions to my library:

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
The Fall of Troy - Doppelganger
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

peabody
Mario Mendoza

Post by peabody »

Don’t know if there are any Queensryche fans in here, but I picked up Operation Mindcrime II yesterday and listened to it from beginning to end. Then I listened to a few songs that stood out over again. I have to say that I’m pleasantly surprised. Queensryche was one of my favorite bands growing up, but I haven’t bought an album from them since Empire. The few songs I’ve heard from their later albums never did anything for me. But after reading a few reviews, I decided to take a chance.

I’m not sure exactly how to categorize the music. It’s not as heavy as Operation Mindcrime, but some songs approach that. For some reason, enhanced 80’s metal comes to mind. The first few songs did not wow me, but were OK. The album builds, however, and by the mid to late parts of the album I was really into it. The songs flowed nicely into one another. I was a little let down by the very last song, I guess I just wanted it to be something a little more epic.

The couple of reviews I’ve read about OMII I think are fair. All-Music I think gave them 4 out of 5 stars. Based on limited play, I’d say 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5 is about right.

In comparing this with the first Operation Mindcrime album, I’d say it’s not as good, but it is very respectable. But I will always be partial to their early work (The Warning, Rage for Order, and Operation Mindcrime). Still, if you ever were ever a little interested in Queensryche, you should pick this up.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

peabody wrote:Don’t know if there are any Queensryche fans in here...
I see you didn't read the first page of this thread ;)
-Matt

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

"Obtained" the new Pearl Jam album over the weekend. While I'm not as blown away by it as some here, it's solid and feels like the kind of record that will grow on me with repeated listens.

The album that has really surprised me is Springsteen's new folk album, "The Seeger Sessions." This is not a moody acoustic record like "Tom Joad," "Devils and Dust" or "Nebraska 2," folks. It's a rollicking record that puts motion in your feet and soul even though it's based in folk. With some great accordion, percussion, fiddle, piano, other upbeat folk touches and even brass, this album, dare I say it, rocks. This is the honky-tonk album that 98 percent of Nashville artists could only DREAM of making.

While I like the new Pearl Jam record, right now I find the Springsteen album to be a more interesting listen. I'm not a huge Springsteen or folk fan, but I'll give the guy credit -- he really knows how to stretch his musical legs and horizons.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

PK, I'll be interested to read your updated thoughts after songs like Marker in the Sand, Severed Hand, Parachutes, Inside Job and Come Back have had a chance to grow on you. Those songs all rank up there with PJ's best, IMO.

I'm not much of a Springsteen fan, and I certainly have not been looking for a Pete Seeger covers album to come out, but I've read enough good things about that new album (including your comments) that I'm curious enough to give it a few listens.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

ScoopBrady wrote:I haven't really paid attention to Pearl Jam since No Code. I checked out some of the new stuff and it's pretty good. I'll have to revisit Vitalogy through No Code again and check out everything that came after.

On a side note, the new Tool album "10,000 Days" is phenomenal. Where "Lateralus" sounded more like A Perfect Circle, "10,000 Days" sounds more like "Aenima".
I am very excited about both the new PJ and Tool albums. I am highly anticipating May 2nd. I have ony heard one song from each and they both were top notch respectively.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Here's a link to a video of Pearl Jam performing "Life Wasted" in case anyone is interested.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ET ... oding=UTF8

I'll probably pickup the new Springsteen on the way home tonight.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

With the new Springsteen record, expect nothing that you've heard from him before. It's quite the departure.

Also, you need to almost imagine yourself listening to these tunes at some juke joint with no chairs and an old, sawdust-covered dance floor. Or picture yourself at a party or a family barbecue where someone starts playing good-time, move-your-feet folk music, and the whole family starts to dance, drink beer and inhale hot dogs and hamburgers.

The Springsteen record is a really good summer album. A definite foot-tapper, in a lazy, hazy summer night kind of way.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

There's a new album out by a couple ex-members of The Unicorns (which has dissolved).

The album title is "Return to the Sea" and the band's name is Islands. I've listened to a hand full of songs so far and it's excellent sounding. The easiest way I've heard to describe it is indie rock, some calypso, and a bit of hip hop.

They've got four songs available for listening here:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=32687683
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Airdog wrote:There's a new album out by a couple ex-members of The Unicorns (which has dissolved).

The album title is "Return to the Sea" and the band's name is Islands. I've listened to a hand full of songs so far and it's excellent sounding. The easiest way I've heard to describe it is indie rock, some calypso, and a bit of hip hop.

Please tell me where they have anything to do with hip hop? Decent band, but I don't see any hip hop in it at all...at least in the 4 myspace songs.

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Airdog wrote:There's a new album out by a couple ex-members of The Unicorns (which has dissolved).

Please tell me where they have anything to do with hip hop? Decent band, but I don't see any hip hop in it at all...at least in the 4 myspace songs.
"Where There's A Will" contains some "rapping". You said please, not thank you, but nonetheless: You're welcome.

Not trying to be a jerk, although I may sound like it: So along with being the arbiter as what passes as an appropriate post in a forum you've also become the arbiter of what is, and what is not hip-hop? I just imagine you at the verge of explosion while you're on your puter.

And like I said, I used some one else's way of describing them, as I haven't heard the entire album yet, but hopefully will by the end of the night. I'm not a big fan of categorizing things into different "types" of music.
- Rob

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Airdog wrote:Not trying to be a jerk, although I may sound like it: So along with being the arbiter as what passes as an appropriate post in a forum you've also become the arbiter of what is, and what is not hip-hop? I just imagine you at the verge of explosion while you're on your puter.
Easy buddy...I was just curious as to what you considered hip hop in that selection of songs.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Not to get off track, but what is the best way to "obtain" music today? I know we've had old threads on this, but the landscape changes quickly.

I used to use WinMX way back, and I didn't even know they where basically shut down. I use Emule to get wrestling and Moto GP videos, but for music it seems real spotty. Anything that's not real popular is almost impossible to find. Maybe people just scattered or went offline.

OH, and for the records, I do still buy the occasional CD. I'm just through spending $15 for music I find out is crap and cannot return because it has been opened.
-Matt

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Airdog wrote:Not trying to be a jerk, although I may sound like it: So along with being the arbiter as what passes as an appropriate post in a forum you've also become the arbiter of what is, and what is not hip-hop? I just imagine you at the verge of explosion while you're on your puter.
Easy buddy...I was just curious as to what you considered hip hop in that selection of songs.
Heh, I didn't get all fired up. Sorry if it seemed that way. I was not going to post it at all because I figured that I'd come across a lot harsher than I intended. I have a thing with "definitions" I guess.
- Rob

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

matthewk wrote:Not to get off track, but what is the best way to "obtain" music today? I know we've had old threads on this, but the landscape changes quickly.
BitTorrent.

Take care,
PK

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Last I'll say about PJ, but the lyrics are here:

http://igotbugs.net/wiki/tiki-index.php ... s#id420908

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Wow, I got a whole 1 word answer to my question. Not even a DB link to an old thread on the same subject :) Either people are afraid to speak about the subject or no one else "shares" via the internet anymore.

Looks like I'll have to see what BitTorrent has to offer. Never used it before.
-Matt

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

matthewk wrote:Wow, I got a whole 1 word answer to my question. Not even a DB link to an old thread on the same subject :) Either people are afraid to speak about the subject or no one else "shares" via the internet anymore.

Wow, you asked the simple question; I gave a simple answer. I'm more than happy to supply you with details on how to use BitTorrent, if you want.

Take care,
PK

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

I LOVED the 1st Operation Mindcrime. I will have to check this out. I also really liked Empire. Those were the only 2 Queensryche albums I had. By the way, can u recomend any live dvds?

peabody wrote:Don’t know if there are any Queensryche fans in here, but I picked up Operation Mindcrime II yesterday and listened to it from beginning to end. Then I listened to a few songs that stood out over again. I have to say that I’m pleasantly surprised. Queensryche was one of my favorite bands growing up, but I haven’t bought an album from them since Empire. The few songs I’ve heard from their later albums never did anything for me. But after reading a few reviews, I decided to take a chance.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

For anyone who is a fan of Mark Knopfler or Emmylou Harris, their new album, "All the Roadrunning," is excellent. I'm really, really enjoying this one and the new Springsteen "Seeger Sessions" album.

The day I tire of hearing Emmylou Harris sing is the day I'm laid out in a nice suit, I think. An angel invaded that woman's larynx at birth and never left.

Take care,
PK

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

matthewk wrote:Wow, I got a whole 1 word answer to my question. Not even a DB link to an old thread on the same subject :) Either people are afraid to speak about the subject or no one else "shares" via the internet anymore.

I sent you a PM yesterday, apparently you didnt see it.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

JackB1 wrote:I LOVED the 1st Operation Mindcrime. I will have to check this out. I also really liked Empire. Those were the only 2 Queensryche albums I had. By the way, can u recomend any live dvds?
What!?! Only 2? If you like the band, I'd also check out Rage For Order and Promised Land. They are not as commercial as the ones you already have, but I consider RFO to be their best. Tribe was also pretty ood, but not great.

The best Live DVD they ever did was the Operation:Mindcrime one. I think Live Evolution (I think that's what it was called) was decent too.
-Matt

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

pk500 wrote:

Wow, you asked the simple question; I gave a simple answer. I'm more than happy to supply you with details on how to use BitTorrent, if you want.

Take care,
PK
True. I guess I didn't think the answer would be so simple. Of course, what may not be simple is setting it up properly. I'll give it a try sometime this week.
-Matt

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Badgun wrote:I sent you a PM yesterday, apparently you didnt see it.
You're right, I didn't see it :oops:
-Matt

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

PM me if you need help. It's no more difficult to set up than any other file-sharing program, although I do know a few tweaks that will dramatically increase your downloading speed.

Take care,
PK