OT: New Music?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: New Music?

Post by wco81 »

Was listening to a podcast where they started talking about musical taste.

Turns out Spotify has done some research and they say that people by their early 30s, say by 33, undergo something called "taste lock."

The claim is that their brains have filled up with the capacity to really connect with the music. Also by that age, people have experienced every emotion they're going to experience (I thought they used to say that about infants).

Obviously people can listen to new music past that age but I guess the claim is that the music you consume when you're younger is going to stay with you in a way that music you come across after your early 30s won't.

The other part is that after this stage, people also tend to denigrate or disregard new music.

Spotify must not target customers past their early 30s?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:Obviously people can listen to new music past that age but I guess the claim is that the music you consume when you're younger is going to stay with you in a way that music you come across after your early 30s won't.
Certainly not the case for me. I'm two weeks shy of 50, and I discovered three of my favorite genres -- jazz, progressive house and world-funk (Fela Kuti) -- well into my 30s, all thanks to the Internet.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

My fave band was discovered when i was in my 40's my fave before 30 i don't really listen to anymore.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I expect that it's a function of being open to unfamiliar things more than a neurological inability to connect to novel experiences.

I think that if there were the same social impetus to remain inquisitive about music that there is to constantly seek out new culinary experiences, musical tastes wouldn't calcify this way.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Not new music, but R.I.P. Ornette Coleman.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

Great week for music - new Jason Isbell tomorrow and find out that there is a free new Wilco album available for download. I have really been getting back into music lately with some good stuff coming out this year....

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I've been dying for the Isbell record to get out already. I've played Southeastern more than any record since it came out. These Friday releases are weird, though.

The Wilco is a nice treat. Just one listen so far. A bit on the NYC-side of their sound. Lots of Velvets and Television influence. A bit of Flaming Lips as well. A good, dynamic record. We'll see if it holds up.

Wish I could get to Pitchfork for them on Friday and Run The Jewels, Chance the Rapper and Courtney Barnett on Sunday, but it's not to be...
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Thanks for the Wilco heads up. Gotta love free.

Going to Built to spill show this Saturday .
Cant wait to here them play some new stuff live.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Had a listen to an album by Negative Scanner. Whoa! It's classic punk. When I listened there was a real Siouxsie and the Banshees feel to it. Do a net search on that combo and you'll find all sorts of hits.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Hot damn. The Foreign Exchange's new record, "Tales From The Land Of Milk And Honey," is one fun slab of funky, dance-infused soul and R&B. Digging this record!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Thinking of switching my services from Spotify Premium to Google. I am one of those dudes that think when it ain't broken don't touch anything and I've been quite happy with Spotify honestly. Why change? The upcoming YouTube Red is enticing for the same price that would include Google music for the same price.

Finished a month ago my trial with Apple and while their intentions are good, it's still too cluttered for my taste.

Thoughts?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Google Music is GREAT -- with one caveat. Spotify is better if you want celebrity- or friend-curated music playlists and want to share tunes socially outside of the Google+ ecosystem.

Otherwise, Google Music is better than Spotify. Far cleaner interface on the Web and app. Excellent user- and Google-curated playlists. Very good sound quality without paying any premium prices.

Spotify is the Budweiser or Molson of streaming music services. The most popular, but not the best.

I've been with Google Music since the beta. I locked in at $7.99 per month -- BONUS! -- during the beta trial period and have been a happy customer. And you know me: I don't like to pay for ANYTHING. :)

I "obtained" more than 12,000 songs during my pirate days. I've downloaded almost nothing since I got Google Music. It satisfies all of my musical needs, and I have very broad tastes.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Foo Fighters released a free ep: http://www.saintceciliaep.com/
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:Google Music is GREAT -- with one caveat. Spotify is better if you want celebrity- or friend-curated music playlists and want to share tunes socially outside of the Google+ ecosystem.

Otherwise, Google Music is better than Spotify. Far cleaner interface on the Web and app. Excellent user- and Google-curated playlists. Very good sound quality without paying any premium prices.

Spotify is the Budweiser or Molson of streaming music services. The most popular, but not the best.

I've been with Google Music since the beta. I locked in at $7.99 per month -- BONUS! -- during the beta trial period and have been a happy customer. And you know me: I don't like to pay for ANYTHING. :)

I "obtained" more than 12,000 songs during my pirate days. I've downloaded almost nothing since I got Google Music. It satisfies all of my musical needs, and I have very broad tastes.
Didn't see this last month, but this is pretty much me too. I couldn't care less about other people's playlists so I can't recommend Google Music enough, especially now that they've got the proper iOS apps in place if you're using one of those types of phones/tablets. Throw in commercial free Youtube and no way I go anywhere else. I haven't downloaded (obtained) any music in years as well.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Kind of remember a top 10 list for 2014 last year.

My favorites for 2015:

1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
2. Kamasi Washington - The Epic
3. D'Angelo - Black Messiah
4. Jim O'Rourke - Simple Songs
5. Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
6. Tame Impala - Currents
7. Julia Holter - Have You in My Wilderness
8. Kurt Vile - b'lieve i'm goin down
9. Jason Isbell - Something More Than Free
10. Deerhunter - Fading Frontier

Next in line: Hop Along, Protomartyr, Milo, Ought

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Savages' new record is mesmerizing and intense. Dig it.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Been listening the hell out of Charles Bradley's LP Changes. The title track (cover of the Black Sabbath song) has to be my song of the year so far. I get this vibe of a fusion between James Brown, Alabama Shakes, and Black Joe Lewis from him with a definite old school soul feel.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Sturgill Simpson's "A Sailor's Guide to Earth" is one of the coolest new records I've heard this year. If only conventional Nashville had 1/10th of this guy's talent, versatility and balls.

Plus, any alt-country cat who covers "In Bloom" by Nirvana on album is OK by me. :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

New Radiohead album: BUENO.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

New Radiohead = :D

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I have been really getting into 3 bands lately that have taken black metal and turned it upside down by combining it with a rock music sound. I cannot recommend the following three albums enough even if you don't like black metal.

1. Kvelertak - Nattesferd
This one has an 80's rock vibe and by the end of the album they had made themselves a new fan.

2. Tribulation - The Children of the Night
This one has a 70's rock vibe. Great album.

3. Cobalt - Slow Forever
This album just needs to be listened to. This might be my album of the year. More impressive is the fact that this is a duo.
I am a patient boy.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

ScoopBrady wrote:I have been really getting into 3 bands lately that have taken black metal and turned it upside down by combining it with a rock music sound. I cannot recommend the following three albums enough even if you don't like black metal.

1. Kvelertak - Nattesferd
This one has an 80's rock vibe and by the end of the album they had made themselves a new fan.

Thanks for the tip on Kvelertak. That video is really well done. Listened to most of the album and man it is chock full of pretty amazing riffs that harken back to some great hard rock. I could do without the excessive screaming though... I mean, I get it, but it just doesn't always work and my brain wants to hear a bit more diversity in the vocals.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Spooky wrote:Thanks for the tip on Kvelertak. That video is really well done. Listened to most of the album and man it is chock full of pretty amazing riffs that harken back to some great hard rock. I could do without the excessive screaming though... I mean, I get it, but it just doesn't always work and my brain wants to hear a bit more diversity in the vocals.
Yeah, I get it. Vocals like this are definitely not for everyone and it took me time to appreciate them. What does it for me is the fact that it takes the hard rock sound that is supposed to have vocals like this and puts in vocals that are supposed to have music like that and melds them together. It takes a while to let go of the expectations you have based on the music you are hearing. By the time I had checked out Kvelertak I had already learned to let go based on listening to Tribulation and Cobalt. :D
I am a patient boy.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Here is the latest from my boy. His own project.

http://treeshaker.bandcamp.com/

Enjoy.

tags: 90´s indie punk built to spill dinosaur jr. emo guitar driven indie rock riffs space rock Corona

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Here is the latest from my boy. His own project.

http://treeshaker.bandcamp.com/

Enjoy.

tags: 90´s indie punk built to spill dinosaur jr. emo guitar driven indie rock riffs space rock Corona
Wow, great!!! Any Built to Spill fan will smile listening to this. Love it.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474