OT: New Music?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: New Music?

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Two good tracks there fellas thanks for the heads up. Ill be checking both bands out.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

dbdynsty25 wrote:The new Jay-Z & Kanye album is actually fantastic.
Finally got around to listening to this on the way to work today. Damn. 8O
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Certainly not new but just an awesome sounding album with the right setup - listening to the Indigo Girls album "Indigo Girls" on vinyl, tube headphone amp, and an pair of Sennheiser HD580s is just musical bliss. Great detail on the volume without the compression that plagued CDs of that era.

Staying on topic, downloaded the full catalog of The Joy Formiddable and really enjoy it. The older albums are just as good as the new one.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

New wilco streaming today (for 24 hours)!

http://wilcoworld.net/twlsplash/
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Wow, the new Wilco is amazing.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

Rock 'Old Timer' finally accepts the reality that is iTunes.

http://www.cultofmac.com/bob-seger-fina ... row/113293
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Murph wrote:Rock 'Old Timer' finally accepts the reality that is iTunes.

http://www.cultofmac.com/bob-seger-fina ... row/113293
Seger's complaints that iTunes erodes the "artistic quality" of an album fall on very deaf ears here. I can use just two hands to name the number of bands these days that release albums that are strong from start to finish.

It's a chicken-or-the-egg argument to debate whether MP3s and iTunes or a drop in musical quality precipitated the lack of cohesive, tight albums, but it's a damn fact.

AOR is dead, Bob. Welcome to the real world.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Here I am, on iTunes again
There I am, on the Bob Seger page
Here I go, ignoring the albums again
There I go, downloading Turn the Page

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

I think I'm going to Katmandu....

'We literally put 15 minutes of noise on a record that did not raise an eyebrow, but if you make a pop song with Feist on it, people are going to cry like the sky’s falling.' - JT

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I can barely contain myself waiting to listen to the new Opeth album, Heritage.
I am a patient boy.

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

ScoopBrady wrote:I can barely contain myself waiting to listen to the new Opeth album, Heritage.
Streaming now at NPR. Waiting for a physical copy myself, since it'll be a couple of weeks before I have a decent system set up again.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

EZSnappin wrote:
ScoopBrady wrote:I can barely contain myself waiting to listen to the new Opeth album, Heritage.
Streaming now at NPR. Waiting for a physical copy myself, since it'll be a couple of weeks before I have a decent system set up again.
Yeah, I've been streaming it at work all day. It is amazing.
I am a patient boy.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

ScoopBrady wrote:
EZSnappin wrote:
Yeah, I've been streaming it at work all day. It is amazing.
Cool stuff. Never listened to them before. That guitar player is great and I love his tone throughout the entire album. However, I just can't get past the 'European' style vocals. It's a block I have with ALL European metal/prog rock.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Spooky wrote:Cool stuff. Never listened to them before. That guitar player is great and I love his tone throughout the entire album. However, I just can't get past the 'European' style vocals. It's a block I have with ALL European metal/prog rock.
Spooky, I have the same issue, but you should listen to Opeth's "Damnation" album. It's very progressive and not even really a metal album, but very melodic. I found after listening to that I could get into some of their harder stuff a little more easily, despite traveling into Cookie Monster territory on some vocals.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Brando70 wrote:
Spooky wrote:Cool stuff. Never listened to them before. That guitar player is great and I love his tone throughout the entire album. However, I just can't get past the 'European' style vocals. It's a block I have with ALL European metal/prog rock.
Spooky, I have the same issue, but you should listen to Opeth's "Damnation" album. It's very progressive and not even really a metal album, but very melodic. I found after listening to that I could get into some of their harder stuff a little more easily, despite traveling into Cookie Monster territory on some vocals.
Actually, the 'prog' aspect is what I like about this new one. The 'Cookie Monster' thing doesn't necessarily bother me either. It's the actual singing style and melodies that these European singers have that has some distinctive aspect which just tugs at my ear and says "English is not my first language" and "I wear a Speedo". Maybe it's too theatrical or something...

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

There's kind of a "Album of the Year" buzz growing around the debut album from Wild Flag, which is made up of ex-members of Sleater-Kinney and Helium.

All girl-group, melodic but rocking, somewhat danceable, lol.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Album of the year: Girls' "Father, Son, Holy Ghost" Oh man. Great.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Brando70 wrote:
This album doesn't really have the cookie monster stuff, Brando. It is straight up progressive and keeps getting better the more I listen to it. Seriously, this is outstanding stuff.

Maybe it's because I have been listening to Opeth for so long but I don't get the European style vibe, Spooky. There's moments where he sounds like Doug Pinnick of King's X and moments where he sounds like Graham Bonnet of Impellitteri/Alcatrazz.

Anyway, this album is must hear.
I am a patient boy.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

ScoopBrady wrote:moments where he sounds like Graham Bonnet of Impellitteri/Alcatrazz.
OK, now I have to give this a listen.
-Matt

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

greggsand wrote:Album of the year: Girls' "Father, Son, Holy Ghost" Oh man. Great.
"Circuital" by My Morning Jacket still is my leader in the clubhouse, but this record is mega, too. Thanks for the tip.

It's odd: I think the opening track on the Girls record, "Honey Bunny," is arguably the weakest on the album. So as I listened to it, I thought, "Damn, Gregg, what's the big deal?" Then as I continued to listen, the quality of the album blossomed with almost every subsequent tune.

It didn't take long for the light bulb to illuminate in my head after the first track! :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

pk500 wrote:
greggsand wrote:Album of the year: Girls' "Father, Son, Holy Ghost" Oh man. Great.
"Circuital" by My Morning Jacket still is my leader in the clubhouse, but this record is mega, too. Thanks for the tip.

It's odd: I think the opening track on the Girls record, "Honey Bunny," is arguably the weakest on the album. So as I listened to it, I thought, "Damn, Gregg, what's the big deal?" Then as I continued to listen, the quality of the album blossomed with almost every subsequent tune.

It didn't take long for the light bulb to illuminate in my head after the first track! :)
LOL. I have almost the opposite reaction to the new 'Girls' album. I was bored by the end. I need a more critical listen. Bought it on vinyl but only listened to the mp3 download in the car this AM.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

pk500 wrote:

I like Honey Bunny, but it is an odd choice for the opener. I'd also give an award for "the best song with the absolute worst title" to their song "Vomit". Fantastic song, but it's hard to tell people "hey, have you heard the song "vomit" yet? That solo in the middle rocks!"....

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

greggsand wrote:
pk500 wrote:

I like Honey Bunny, but it is an odd choice for the opener. I'd also give an award for "the best song with the absolute worst title" to their song "Vomit". Fantastic song, but it's hard to tell people "hey, have you heard the song "vomit" yet? That solo in the middle rocks!"....
Or try googling Girls "Vomit" like my dumbass did.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Going to see Stephen Malkamus live later on the week. Haven't had a chance to listen to his new album - any good? Probably safe to say it's not much of a deviation from his work post-Pavement (which I think has been solid).

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

fanatic wrote:Going to see Stephen Malkamus live later on the week. Haven't had a chance to listen to his new album - any good? Probably safe to say it's not much of a deviation from his work post-Pavement (which I think has been solid).
It's good. Def more memorable than the last album (which was a little "jammy" for my taste). And yes, if you liked any of the previous SM albums, this will be a slam dunk. I'm going to see him next month.