OT: New Music?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

I find the new Hot Chip album decidedly "meh", save for a few bright spots, and the full length Vampire Weekend to be "yeh". Although the charm of Vampire Weekend seems to fade with repeat listens, it's still quite a nice disc.
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Airdog wrote:I find the new Hot Chip album decidedly "meh", save for a few bright spots, and the full length Vampire Weekend to be "yeh". Although the charm of Vampire Weekend seems to fade with repeat listens, it's still quite a nice disc.
I like the new Hot Chip album, but I don't dig it as much as "The Warning." That record, like many released in 2006, still stick with me. Most of my favorite records of 2007 aren't resonating long term with me like those of 2006. Odd, and I'm not sure why.

Good call on Vampire Weekend. It's audio junk food. Tastes great going down the hatch even if it doesn't stay with you as a memorable meal. World beat pop lite.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

pk500 wrote:
Airdog wrote:I find the new Hot Chip album decidedly "meh", save for a few bright spots, and the full length Vampire Weekend to be "yeh". Although the charm of Vampire Weekend seems to fade with repeat listens, it's still quite a nice disc.
I like the new Hot Chip album, but I don't dig it as much as "The Warning." That record, like many released in 2006, still stick with me. Most of my favorite records of 2007 aren't resonating long term with me like those of 2006. Odd, and I'm not sure why.

Good call on Vampire Weekend. It's audio junk food. Tastes great going down the hatch even if it doesn't stay with you as a memorable meal. World beat pop lite.

Take care,
PK
Agreed with Vampire Weekend, BUT I really dug some of the better-sounding live youtube videos - they sound much cooler/edgier than the record. Makes me want to see them live.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Head's up: Wilco live on NPR.org next week. Details:

Hear the group perform a full concert, webcast live on NPR.org from Washington, D.C.'s 9:30 Club on Wednesday, Feb. 27 beginning at approximately 9 p.m. ET.

This should be available as a download for those who can't check it out live. I'm sure I'll find some work to do around the office next Wednesday night. :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

greggsand wrote: Agreed with Vampire Weekend, BUT I really dug some of the better-sounding live youtube videos - they sound much cooler/edgier than the record. Makes me want to see them live.
I came to the same conclusion and then took 700 more words to say it on my blog. I don't care much for this album but will keep an eye on them to see how they develop.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

EZSnappin wrote:
greggsand wrote: Agreed with Vampire Weekend, BUT I really dug some of the better-sounding live youtube videos - they sound much cooler/edgier than the record. Makes me want to see them live.
I came to the same conclusion and then took 700 more words to say it on my blog. I don't care much for this album but will keep an eye on them to see how they develop.
That's funny. Anyone remember the band 'shrimp boat'? Vamp Weekend reminds me of a slicker version of them.

Also, going to see Liars tonight. Should be something! Not sure what to expect.

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

greggsand wrote:
That's funny. Anyone remember the band 'shrimp boat'? Vamp Weekend reminds me of a slicker version of them.

Shrimp Boat! Man, I had a co-worker once who thought they would be huge. They might have been too eclectic just for the sake of it to break through. Haven't heard (or thought) of them for years. A few of those guys went on to the Sea and Cake, right?

Enjoy the Liars show. Everything I've read is that they are tons better on stage than record. Though the last album was a positive step, IMO.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

EZSnappin wrote:
greggsand wrote:

Shrimp Boat! Man, I had a co-worker once who thought they would be huge. They might have been too eclectic just for the sake of it to break through. Haven't heard (or thought) of them for years. A few of those guys went on to the Sea and Cake, right?

Enjoy the Liars show. Everything I've read is that they are tons better on stage than record. Though the last album was a positive step, IMO.
I hadn't thought about Shrimp Boat either until I heard Vampire Weekend. Sam Prekop went on to Sea & Cake. I met Sam once & he didn't want to discuss them at all (I think there was a bad split). Anywhoo, for about 3 years they were the talk of Chicago. "Duende" was the key album I think.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

The Liars show was great. Much better live than expected!

Dig this, Maxim busted!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080223/ap_ ... es_maxim_8

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

That Maxim story is Onion levels of funny:
The band's manager, Pete Angelus, said the magazine explained that its review was an "educated guess."
Glad the Liars were good. Nobody good comes to Maine. :cry:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The Wilco show that was streamed live this week from the 9:30 Club in Washington now is available for on-demand streaming at NPR. It's a fantastic set.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=19271953

RobV, I continue to hate you since you just saw Wilco. :)

Take care,
PK

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

pk500 wrote:The Wilco show that was streamed live this week from the 9:30 Club in Washington now is available for on-demand streaming at NPR. It's a fantastic set.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=19271953

Take care,
PK
The sound quality is surprisingly 'thin'.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

pk500 wrote:

Take care,
PK
Really, the hatred and envy of one's peers is the icing on the cake of seeing a good concert :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

I know it's late word, but it looks like Wilco will be on SNL tonight... was just checking the guide info and remembered you guys discussing them.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks for the tip, G7! Hello, DVR! :)

Take care,
PK

Badger_Fan
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by Badger_Fan »

Just found out that the Old 97's new record will be released in May. Very excited about that. Add the Hold Steady's new record (already in the can) and I'm a happy man. Anyone heard the new Counting Crows? Their debut is one of my all-time favorites, but they've lost me over the last 10 years or so.
The sing-along songs'll be our scriptures.

Badger_Fan
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by Badger_Fan »

Oh, and one other recommendation for you all. Gary Louris (of the Jayhawks) has a solo record out that is well worth checking out. Mark Olson makes an appearance for some harmonies, and the two of them have a record completed that should be out later this year.
The sing-along songs'll be our scriptures.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Badger_Fan wrote:Anyone heard the new Counting Crows? Their debut is one of my all-time favorites, but they've lost me over the last 10 years or so.
I'm with you. Adam Duritz sounded fresh and different on the Crows' debut record 13 or 14 years ago, but I can only take so much of a cross between a wounded animal and the lead singer of Rusted Root as a lead vocalist until I'm looking for screwdrivers to jam into my eye sockets.

Take care,
PK

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

pk500 wrote:
Badger_Fan wrote:Anyone heard the new Counting Crows? Their debut is one of my all-time favorites, but they've lost me over the last 10 years or so.
I'm with you. Adam Duritz sounded fresh and different on the Crows' debut record 13 or 14 years ago, but I can only take so much of a cross between a wounded animal and the lead singer of Rusted Root as a lead vocalist until I'm looking for screwdrivers to jam into my eye sockets.

Take care,
PK
Agreed.

I saw him on TV recently, and I didn't even recognize him. My friend in the room said "Is that Homer Simpson in dreadlocks???".

Anyone hear the new Breeders record yet? I can't decide if I like or not (yet). It's all over the place...

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Saw Jens Lekman last night. The live show was really great (much better than the last album). Catch it if he comes to town.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I gave a full listen to Counting Crows' new album out of curiosity, and it's musically solid. But my qualms about Adam Duritz remain -- his vocal histrionics are insufferable. He's an emo boy disguised with dreadlocks and Birkenstocks.

A quick delete from my hard drive.

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I never got into The Raconteurs' first album. It just didn't connect with me, even though I like The White Stripes. But I'm really digging the band's new record.

Take care,
PK

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Yeah, Jack White is def the golden boy. He's been on quite a streak (as a musician & producer)...

New Silver Jews "Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea" is making the rounds. More Cash than Dylan this time around. Great stuff! makes me proud I named my dog Berman...

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

I'm really liking the new Raconteurs album as well. I never bought the first one but this one's excellent.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

GTHobbes wrote:I'm really liking the new Raconteurs album as well. I never bought the first one but this one's excellent.
Yeah, wow! This new album is borderline amazing and I am only halfway through it.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco