OT: New Music?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

pk500 wrote:For those who are fans of the new Alison Krauss-Robert Plant album, and I'm one of them, Krauss and Plant will appear with T-Bone Burnett to talk about the album tonight on The Charlie Rose Show on PBS.

Take care,
PK
It'll be unlikely to reach the lofty heights of his session with Jay-Z from earlier this week :roll: but I'll tune in. I love Charlie to pieces, but he's much better with the YoYo Ma's of the world than the Beastie Boys.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

For those Blues Rock fans out there you need to check out Back Door Slam yesterday. Search them on YouTube or google them. You won't be disappointed. Was able to find a live performance of theirs on BTJunkie and it's Grade-A stuff.

Edit: Hell, here they are live from YouTube.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y7PtSsbkGdM&re ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y7PtSsbkGdM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

One of my favourites groups of all time is having a reunion in London tomorrow night: Led Zeppelin.

'The show must go on'....

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Freaking excellent announcement from Wilco:

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/6 ... 07.article

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

RobVarak wrote:Freaking excellent announcement from Wilco:

Great for you, you f*cker: You live near Chitown! :) Yes, I'm a jealous mofo.

I sure as hell hope a live box set of these shows is released, or at least some fine quality bootlegs. Thankfully, Wilco tapers produce some of the best-sounding bootlegs out there since the band usually gives one or two access to the sound board at many shows.

Thanks for the link!

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

pk500 wrote:
RobVarak wrote:Freaking excellent announcement from Wilco:

Great for you, you f*cker: You live near Chitown! :) Yes, I'm a jealous mofo.

I sure as hell hope a live box set of these shows is released, or at least some fine quality bootlegs. Thankfully, Wilco tapers produce some of the best-sounding bootlegs out there since the band usually gives one or two access to the sound board at many shows.

Thanks for the link!

Take care,
PK
Got at least 4 tix for the 2/19 show. May have an extra, if anyone is interested. Good chance for you out-of-towners to experience the city of Chi in mid-February :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Drive-By Truckers, one of my two favorite bands along with Wilco, is releasing its new record, "Brighter Than Creation's Dark," on Tuesday, Jan. 22.

It's a 19-track album, and early reviews are excellent. It's the band's first record since "Southern Rock Opera" without guitarist/vocalist Jason Isbell, who left the band to go solo last spring. Original Trucker John Neff is back with the band full time, playing killer pedal steel.

The band has posted three tracks off the new album on its MySpace site, www.myspace.com/drivebytruckers . The new tunes: "The Righteous Path," "I'm Sorry Huston" and "A Ghost to Most."

Based on those tunes, I think the band has returned to a more basic, Southern sound than the increasingly pop-flavored influence of Isbell. The lyrics of all three tunes are classic DBT, telling little stories in each.

If you only listen to one of the above tunes, check out "A Ghost to Most." One of my favorite DBT songs ever, and it's not even out on record yet!

Can't wait for this record to drop. Going to try hard this year to see DBT live, too.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

The following Tuesday (29th) brings the release of my favorite bands new album. The band is the Mars Volta and the album is entitled "Bedlam in Goliath". It leaked on Monday and it's the most intense album I've ever heard. It's a friggin masterpiece. I can't wait to pick it up on the 29th. Now I have to decide if I'm going to pick up the limited edition flash drive version that unlocks new s*** on the 29th of every month for the rest of the year.

http://www.amazon.com/Bedlam-Goliath-US ... 484&sr=1-7
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Got my hands on the new Drive-By Truckers album today. It's fantastic. Ranks right up there with "Southern Rock Opera" and "Decoration Day" as the band's best.

Definitely a change in direction from the Isbell years back to the rootsier, more country-fried sound of the first two records. I can see why Isbell and the Truckers parted company -- divergent creative directions, for sure.

And who knew Shonna Tucker could sing like this?

You know a band is quality when it releases a 19-track album and maybe one song is filler, at most. An excellent record.

Good review of the new record:

http://www.breakthruradio.com/index.php ... php?id=413

Take care,
PK

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

And now for something completely different... The new Xiu Xiu "Women as Lovers" has hit the digital "file" world. It's as out there as you'd expect. With every Xiu Xiu album I wonder "will all this make sense in the future". Maybe this record will be my album of the year in 2022.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I really like "I'll Be Lightning," the recently released album by Liam Finn, son of Crowded House/Split Enz front man Neil Finn.

The apple definitely didn't fall far from the tree with Liam Finn. He shares much of the same songwriting skill as his old man, but it's a bit more of a modern sound than his dad or Crowded House. Still melodic, though.

A good listen.

Take care,
PK

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Hey PK,

Pitchfork interviewed the Drive By dudes:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/f ... y-truckers

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

greggsand wrote:Hey PK,

Pitchfork interviewed the Drive By dudes:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/f ... y-truckers
Thanks, Gregg. Read it yesterday, alerted from a post at a DBT fan forum. :)

Appreciate the tip!

Take care,
PK

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Digging Kate Nash right now. Saw her on the Jools Holland show the other night and her songs are hilarious.

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

This morning on the ride to school, my 5 year old asked me for "the cookie monster music" which to him means Opeth. He normally requests Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers (which in his words is "my favourite piano songs"), but that CD didn't work this morning so he asked for Opeth LOL. Never thought I'd hear him, at 5 yrs old (6 in april), ask for what is considered "Scandinavian Death Metal" by wikipedia.

Oh yeah, the Blackwater Park album by Opeth is incredible.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'm a closet Sheryl Crow fan -- yes, not ashamed to admit it -- but her new record is pretty poor. Her attempts at political lyrics are ham-fisted at best, and the attempt at eclecticism with musical styles just ends up being a bad puree.

Surprising, considering she linked up with Bill Bottrill, her original producer.

Take care,
PK

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

pk500 wrote:I'm a closet Sheryl Crow fan -- yes, not ashamed to admit it -- but her new record is pretty poor. Her attempts at political lyrics are ham-fisted at best, and the attempt at eclecticism with musical styles just ends up being a bad puree.

Surprising, considering she linked up with Bill Bottrill, her original producer.

Take care,
PK
Yikes, that must have taken a lot of courage PK. Good for you...

Anywhoo, the new Stephen Malkmus record "Real Emotional Trash" is pretty kick-ass. (Esp if you're into crazy guitar-geek stuff). Seek out "Dragonfly Pie" or "Cold Son" for good examples of what you're getting into...

Other good things out right now:

Gram Parsons Archive, Vol. 1: Live at the Avalon Ballroom 1969 - Simply awesome this thing was kept safe all these years. I had an old washed cassette of these shows, the 'clean up' on this is amazing.

My wife has been playing the "Once" soundtrack non-stop lately. Not bad for mood music.

Dimmu
Mario Mendoza

Post by Dimmu »

James_E wrote:This morning on the ride to school, my 5 year old asked me for "the cookie monster music" which to him means Opeth. He normally requests Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers (which in his words is "my favourite piano songs"), but that CD didn't work this morning so he asked for Opeth LOL. Never thought I'd hear him, at 5 yrs old (6 in april), ask for what is considered "Scandinavian Death Metal" by wikipedia.

Oh yeah, the Blackwater Park album by Opeth is incredible.
Yep, all of their stuff is fantastic. Some of the best death metal vocals around, contrasted with the clean vocals makes Mikael Akerfeldt my favorite vocalist in metal. My album favorites are Morningrise, Blackwater Park and Still Life.

Funny story about your 5 year old, my kids used to ask for "the sleepy music" because whenever I would put on Opeth, especially Still Life, they would fall asleep on longer car rides. It helps when a lot of the songs are 10+ minutes.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Attended one of the Wilco shows at the Riv tonight. Absolutely f'in sublime! This iteration of the band is so far and away the best Tweedy's had that it's almost unfair to compare. I've seen the band 4 times, and this was easily the finest show they've ever put on.

The level of musicianship is through the roof, and the band has impecable taste about when to stretch out and when to play economically. They used a horn section for much of the Sky Blue Sky material. It worked well. The charts were loose and there was a distinct Memphis R&B feel to songs like Hate It Here and Is That The Thanks I Get.

I was acutally not terribly thrilled with the set list, preferring those of the first 3 nights. But there was no meaningful way to be disappointed because they played so incredibly well. The crowd was stupendous as well, with 2000 hometown fans screaming and singing every word to every song.

All in all just one of the finest shows that I've seen in a long, long time. There aren't too many bands out there finer than these guys right now.

Set list:

Night 4:

Outta Mind (outta sight)
I Must Be High
Impossible Germany
Radio Cure
Leave Me Like You Found Me
Company In My Back
Handshake Drugs
War On War
Shake It Off
Summerteeth
In A Future Age
ELT
Shot In The Arm
Poor Places
Reservations
Spiders (kidsmoke)
On & On & On
Someday Soon
California Stars
Hate It Here
Is That The Thanks I Get
Walken
I'm The Man Who Loves You
I'm A Wheel
Kingpin
Outtasite (Outta Mind)

And this was broadcast in Chicago on 93WXRT, so the torrents should be well stocked before too long. :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rob:

I am beyond jealous! Sounds like a wonderful show. Glad you enjoyed it so much.

I would have been enraptured right after I heard the first few bars of "Must Be High." One of my favorite unheralded Wilco tunes.

A really nice mix on the set list.

So, how was the jam on "Spiders?" Did Nels Cline and Tweedy go off in full Krautrock glory, or did they put a different spin on it? I've heard many different twists on this tune in bootlegs.

Thanks for the tip on the potential torrent, too!

By the way: I hate you, you bastard! :)

Take care,
PK
Last edited by pk500 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Dear Rob,

You suck.

Sincerely,
A culturally deprived Yooper

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

pk500 wrote:Rob

So, how was the jam on "Spiders?" Did Nels Cline and Tweedy go off in full Krautrock glory, or did they put a different spin on it? I've heard many different twists on this tune in bootlegs.
They went for the full-on feedback assault and Krautrock vibe for sure. It was especially effective after the aching beauty of Reservations. Cline is such a difference-maker in this band. He goes from playing that sort of Edge/Television/Andy Summers style with the angular attack to melodic blues-based lines with such ease and taste.

Oh and 2000 people passionately singing, "Something in my veins, bloodier than blood" was just transcendent.

As far as the set list was concerned, I was bummed that they didn't repeat Far, Far Away or Dreamer In My Dreams I was blown away by Kingpin and the arrangements on the Blue Sky Blue stuff. Like I said, after the 3rd song, it was clear that it didn't even matter what songs they played because they were just so damn good.

Here's a link to a brief song-by-song recap in the Trib:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... 5990.story
Dear Rob,

You suck.

Sincerely,
A culturally deprived Yooper
LOL Look on the bright side, you have 3' of snow and Friday night fish fries. :)

Gotta say that there's nothing like seeing Wilco at the Riv and then walking down Broadway in the bracing night air with that post-show buzz :) And driving home on LSD while listening to The Eclectic Company with Tweedy was a nice bonus.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Hey, we had a dog-sled race here last Friday. I so wish I was kidding.

Does Tweedy ever play any Uncle Tupelo songs at his Wilco shows? I love Wilco but would equally love hearing him dig out "The Long Cut" or "Screen Door."

I saw Jay Farrar a couple years ago and he not only didn't play any UT, he played one sole Son Volt song, "Windfall."

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Brando70 wrote:Hey, we had a dog-sled race here last Friday. I so wish I was kidding.

Does Tweedy ever play any Uncle Tupelo songs at his Wilco shows? I love Wilco but would equally love hearing him dig out "The Long Cut" or "Screen Door."

I saw Jay Farrar a couple years ago and he not only didn't play any UT, he played one sole Son Volt song, "Windfall."
I don't think he ever has. PK may know better because I know he's heard a lot of boots. I had the same thought during the show yesterday though. "Hell if he's going back to A.M., why not take one more little step?" LOL

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Brando70 wrote:Hey, we had a dog-sled race here last Friday. I so wish I was kidding.

Wilco used to play screen on a occasion waaay back in the AM-era I believe. Freakiest Wilco moment ever: I saw wilco at the troubadour the same year the "Trace" came out & Tweedy started singing "Let the wind take trouble away...". The whole crowd was looking around like WTF? Couldn't tell if Jeff was mocking Jay or giving a "shout out" as they say. I chalked it up to drugs...

Talk about too much time on one's hand. The Wilco Set List database:

http://wilcobase.com/

http://wilcobase.com/songs_played.php