OT: MetroStars renamed Red Bull New York

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

jimd
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

OT: MetroStars renamed Red Bull New York

Post by jimd »

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Red Bull's marketing budget continues to blow my mind. The company owns two Formula One teams, a NASCAR NEXTEL Cup team for 2007, sponsors teams and drivers in minor formulas around the world, is a HUGE sponsor of extreme sports and owns a few soccer teams, including Metrostars.

I read in a story that Red Bull has this kind of marketing budget because it does very little traditional print, TV and outdoor advertising. The bulk of its marketing and advertising budget is dedicated to team, event and athlete sponsorship and ownership.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Another reason why the MLS is a joke.

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

they pulled into where i work with the "red bull" truck & gave away some free red bull

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

JRod wrote:Another reason why the MLS is a joke.
The MLS is a joke because they can't win any games on the International stage...The Revs and Galaxy were both knocked out of the Champions League yesterday by Costa Rican clubs...Yes, Costa Rica has better clubs then the USA.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

Costa Rican and Mexican clubs are mid-season when the CONCACAF Champions' Cup is played, whereas MLS teams are in the beginning of their pre-season. Form makes a big difference. One of the few times that MLS clubs played in meaningful international competition when in form, they won (DC United v. South American champs Vasco de Gama in 1999).

And these Costa Rican clubs aren't pushovers...Saprissa beat Mexican champions Pumas 3:2 aggregate last year to win. Costa Rica's top three are comparable to the top teams in Mexico and the United States. (After that, the quality drops off significantly.)

vanburen
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by vanburen »

half the bundisliga teams are named after companies. tons of soccer teams around the world have corporate ties to their names. as far as joke mls names go, real salt lake is much worse, as is the debacle in Houston.

devilsjaw
Mario Mendoza

Post by devilsjaw »

It sounds bad, but I have to admit it's better thatn 'Metrostars'.

I'm still waiting for Colorado to reverse it's name and become Rapid Colorado.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

vanburen wrote:half the bundisliga teams are named after companies. tons of soccer teams around the world have corporate ties to their names. as far as joke mls names go, real salt lake is much worse, as is the debacle in Houston.
Agree 100% on all points. Red Bull will take some getting used to though.

vanburen
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by vanburen »

devilsjaw wrote:It sounds bad, but I have to admit it's better thatn 'Metrostars'.
it took me a while, but I warmed up to metrostars. it was much more reasonable than New York/New Jersey Metrostars.

MLS sure takes a beating from U.S. soccer snobs. It's either too american (San Jose Earthquakes), too european (FC Dallas), too commercial (Red Bull), too abstract (LA Galaxy) or named after an East Coast electronics company (KC Wiz to Wizards).

Neckthai
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Neckthai »

Regarding the Houston Earthquakes.

When did 1836 become offensive enough to become Dynamo?

K_Mosley
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by K_Mosley »

LOL - I'm just happy the Crew no longer have the worst name in the league!

Oh, and the lowly Crew beat Fulham in an exhibition last summer. The Crew were in mid-season form (which isn't saying much), and Fulham was in their preseason. Clearly, at each team's peak, Fulham is by far the better side. Form has a lot to do with it... The MLS isn't among the world's best, but it's getting better, and some darn good international players are coming from its ranks. It's certainly no "joke," in my opinion...

Kevin
http://www.middleagedgamer.com

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

K_Mosley wrote:LOL - I'm just happy the Crew no longer have the worst name in the league!
You guys will just have to settle for worst logo in the league (IMO). :wink:

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

vanburen wrote:
half the bundisliga teams are named after companies. tons of soccer teams around the world have corporate ties to their names. as far as joke mls names go, real salt lake is much worse, as is the debacle in Houston.
Maybe Squid can inject his two cents but I can see maybe only 1 or 2 teams in the Bundesliga that have coporate names as THEIR name. Some teams have sold the naming rights but they are probably less than 1% of all football clubs in the world. And definately not in the top flight leagues in the world.

K_Mosley
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by K_Mosley »

Naples39 wrote:
K_Mosley wrote:LOL - I'm just happy the Crew no longer have the worst name in the league!
You guys will just have to settle for worst logo in the league (IMO). :wink:
LOL - I can't argue that... It reminds me of the Village People, or something! :)

Kevin
http://www.middleagedgamer.com

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

JRod wrote:
vanburen wrote:
Maybe Squid can inject his two cents but I can see maybe only 1 or 2 teams in the Bundesliga that have coporate names as THEIR name. Some teams have sold the naming rights but they are probably less than 1% of all football clubs in the world. And definately not in the top flight leagues in the world.
Leverkusen is the only one I can think of since they are named after the Bayer drug company.

German teams are usually at least a century old and most were started as gymnastics clubs since soccer back then was seen as a British bastard sport.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I am of two minds on this whole thing. As a dedicated Metros fan from the beginning, I am not happy that the identity has been forsaken. On the other hand, I got a nice voice mail from Alexi today!

Seriously, though, this is more about Red Bull putting in a bunch of much needed cash into MLS (rather than, say, Champions World or some other soccer in the US option), and as part of that they wanted to buy a team.

What they did to Salzburg is pretty bad. As far as I know, that's the only other soccer club they own, and they essentially whiped out 70+ years of history in one swoop, even going so far as not letting people into the stadium wearing the purple of the old Salzburg club. Some Salzburg guys were quick to post on the metrofanatic boards about their miserable experiences, and I hear what they are saying. But 10 years of mediocrity is nothing close to 70+ years of tradition, so I'm not all that borken up by it. I feel more for guys like Tab Ramos who tried so hard and put so much into the Metros and now all that is apparently only to be forgotten.

Still, they are bringing lots of cash, much needed help to get the stadium done, and perhaps most improtantly, their unquestionably brilliant marketing strategies. These guys are really good, and one thing we need more than anything else (besides some success on the field) is some kind of marketing presence in NYC.

It's very weird. I would like the idea of Beckenbauer being involved in the team, though I really don't think he will spend too much energy on it. But for MLS as a whole, I think it's a tremendous sign that a company like Red Bull is willing to put some cash into soccer here in the US.

Now to buy some cheap Metros schwag at the MLSnet shop clearance. . . .

Hey, we lost the name, but we got Jolley back! lol

vanburen
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by vanburen »

fsquid wrote:
JRod wrote:
vanburen wrote: half the bundisliga teams are named after companies. tons of soccer teams around the world have corporate ties to their names. as far as joke mls names go, real salt lake is much worse, as is the debacle in Houston.
Leverkusen is the only one I can think of since they are named after the Bayer drug company.

German teams are usually at least a century old and most were started as gymnastics clubs since soccer back then was seen as a British bastard sport.
my bad. a web search proved that I was full of crap on that one. I thought bayern munich was named after the same company, but evidently not. Looking at some other leagues, it's not very common.

I guess this means mls is breaking some new ground. Congrats to the NY/NJ metro area!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

On another MLS note, quite sad to read about the death of Galaxy President and GM Doug Hamilton yesterday. Dude was only 43 years old. Had a heart attack on a plane while returning from the team's Champions Cup game in Costa Rica.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

pk500 wrote:On another MLS note, quite sad to read about the death of Galaxy President and GM Doug Hamilton yesterday. Dude was only 43 years old. Had a heart attack on a plane while returning from the team's Champions Cup game in Costa Rica.

Take care,
PK
Devastating, absolutely horrible. Leaves behind a wife and a 5 year old. Brutal.

He really did a great job for the Galaxy, despite the whole Sigi firing which I didn't agree with (though wasn't unhappy about, seeing as I hate the Galaxy. . . ). Sad day for MLS and those of us who love it.

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

pk500 wrote:On another MLS note, quite sad to read about the death of Galaxy President and GM Doug Hamilton yesterday. Dude was only 43 years old. Had a heart attack on a plane while returning from the team's Champions Cup game in Costa Rica.

Take care,
PK
I just heard that on the local sportstalk radio show I listen to in the morning while I was taking the kids to school.

So sad to see that he was on that flight with his family, and to think....only 43 years old.

I wonder if the flight itself had anything to do with it. (I admit I am not too keen on the subject, just wondering aloud).

vanburen
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by vanburen »

Boltman wrote: I wonder if the flight itself had anything to do with it. (I admit I am not too keen on the subject, just wondering aloud).
bloomberg story today:

March 10 (Bloomberg) -- Reduced oxygen levels and low air pressure in airplanes may contribute to the development of blood clots in some passengers, according to a study published in this week's Lancet medical journal.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... Rth8BvO5c0

basically, long flights are indeed unhealthy.

TheMightyPuck
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheMightyPuck »

Very sad. RIP Doug.

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

vanburen wrote:
Boltman wrote: I wonder if the flight itself had anything to do with it. (I admit I am not too keen on the subject, just wondering aloud).
bloomberg story today:

March 10 (Bloomberg) -- Reduced oxygen levels and low air pressure in airplanes may contribute to the development of blood clots in some passengers, according to a study published in this week's Lancet medical journal.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... Rth8BvO5c0

basically, long flights are indeed unhealthy.

Wow, did not know that at all. So I was on to something with my comment, very very sad.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Thought this thread needed a bump considering the continuing bold moves of Red Bull. First the team does a surprise remodeling of the team clubhouse and facilities over the weekend catching all the players off guard when they come in on monday to work. Then Red Bull organizes a free road trip for fans to go to Metros (err, red bulls) opener in DC. Now in the last day or so stories have leaked out that Red Bull has bought TV time so every metros game will be on TV, they are looking into putting natural grass in giants stadium for the team, and now they are organizing a bus trip for REVS FANS to be bussed for free to the bull's home opener.

Bold moves indeed, and I love what they are doing to breathe life into the team and atmosphere surrounding it. It's still early, but so far I give the thumbs up to Red Bull ownership.