Throwback Fun: Bluecoats North &South

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Throwback Fun: Bluecoats North &South

Post by Teal »

Talk about something coming out of the blue. I logged on last night, and checked the store, just as a habit, and I see one of my favorite NES games remastered and updated in the MS store: North and South.

Some may have played this earlier on the Amiga, but it's a strategy game centered around the civil war, and I LOVED that damn thing on nintendo.

The overview map very much resembles the original, but with updated graphics and animations. You fight for territory (states), trains, and forts, as either Union or Confederate forces in a cartoon style presentation. This updated version changes the train hijacking and fort attacks into FPS mode, fighting your way from the back of the train to the front, and the fort plays like a total, although stripped down, shooter. The main battles have infantry units, cavalry, and cannons. Battles are simple and rather quick, but retain the fun of the original.

For 30 bucks, it might not be hefty enough of a game, but the nostalgia made it an immediate impulse buy for me, and I really enjoy it.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Throwback Fun: Bluecoats North &South

Post by vader29 »

North and South was one of my favorite games on the NES, will have to check some out some videos of this new version.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Was going to purchase, but watched a YouTube review of the PC version that said they totally messed up the arcade battles and turned them into a lame point and click fest. Would love to know how the XBox version fares...

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I couldn't find an xbox review, so I took a chance. It's not point and click, for sure. The cannons have a trajectory and a power meter, which is not like the PC review.

In fact, the train heists and the fort battles are nothing like what I saw on YouTube videos. They are way better, imo.

The Xbox version has better map animations, to boot.

In the battles, you have direct control of the units, and move them in real time.

I almost didn't buy it based on that PC review. But it's very different.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Interesting, I'll check it out.

I've been playing a game called War of Rights which is a FPS set in this war. I think it is PC only but if it's not it sure is a lot of fun.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

If you haven't played the old versions, be aware that this is cartoonish and light. It's not heavy on tactics, troop movements, and that sort of thing. The engagements last just a few moments, and aren't based on actual battles (Shiloh, Gettysburg, etc).

That said, the more I'm playing, the more I remember what I loved about this game years ago. It captures the simple fun of that game, with engaging updates that, for me, make it even more endearing.

I'll be honest: I'm a little surprised that they even thought of updating this game, given the PC craziness today. But I'm very glad they did, and did so without caving to the nonsense.

This is a nod to simpler, fun times, and I'm just having a ball.
Last edited by Teal on Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Ha, I had North & South for NES, and honestly I always wanted to like it more than I actually did. Those battles were so frustrating...I lost many good cavalrymen to charges straight into a gorge! LOL

I could see a remake being kinda fun if done right. Probably not at $30 though.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Yeah, Naples, I certainly understand hesitation at that price point. But I did discover that you play through "years" 1861-1864, and unlock each year as you play through the previous one.

Again, for me, the sheer nostalgia was draw enough. And I've been thrilled with getting to revisit a game I really loved playing back in college.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Danimal wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:02 pm
Interesting, I'll check it out.

I've been playing a game called War of Rights which is a FPS set in this war. I think it is PC only but if it's not it sure is a lot of fun.
I've watched videos of that game, and am jealous of the PC folks. I would love to play that.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Teal wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:41 pm
I couldn't find an xbox review, so I took a chance. It's not point and click, for sure. The cannons have a trajectory and a power meter, which is not like the PC review.

In fact, the train heists and the fort battles are nothing like what I saw on YouTube videos. They are way better, imo.

The Xbox version has better map animations, to boot.

In the battles, you have direct control of the units, and move them in real time.

I almost didn't buy it based on that PC review. But it's very different.
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up, really appreciate it!!