OT: Arabs to take control of security of our ports?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Arabs to take control of security of our ports?

Post by JackB1 »

http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e ... 08&src=abc

How can you not be outraged by this? Whether you are a Bush supporter or not....Republican/Democrat or whatever. Handing over security of 6 of our major ports to a foreign country (U.A.E - no less) is outrageous. How can anyone justify this? Here is a quote from the above story:

"Critics have cited the UAE's history as an operational and financial base for the hijackers who carried out the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. In addition, they contend the UAE was an important transfer point for shipments of smuggled nuclear components sent to Iran, North Korea and Libya by a Pakistani scientist.

A Miami company, Continental Stevedoring & Terminals Inc., has filed suit in a Florida court challenging the deal. A subsidiary of Eller & Company Inc., Continental maintains it will become an "involuntary partner" with Dubai's government under the sale.

Lawmakers from both parties questioned the sale as a possible risk to national security.

"It's unbelievably tone deaf politically at this point in our history," Sen. Lindsay Graham, R-S.C., said on "Fox News Sunday." "Most Americans are scratching their heads, wondering why this company from this region now," he said.

Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., told CBS' "Face the Nation": "It is ridiculous to say you're taking secret steps to make sure that it's OK for a nation that had ties to 9/11, (to) take over part of our port operations in many of our largest ports. This has to stop."

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I agree. What the hell are they thinking?

If the English company wants to sell to the UAE thats their business but it is scary that the admisitration is allowing them to keep their contract. In the aftermath of 911?

It is at the very very least tone deaf. Im My opinion its insane.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I prefer the paranoia. National security first. Your own politics or personal business dealings second. Whatever it takes. Let the media and your enemies attack. They will anyway. His duty is to the people of this country not his poll numbers.

This just blows My mind. There is no advantage in anyway. Unless its something really dirty.
Last edited by XXXIV on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

slyguy
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by slyguy »

Write your congressman send emails what ever it takes to stop this this is insane this cannot HAPPEN.Again make those phone call send those emails.I would love to know what these guys are smoking to even think to let the arabs have control of our ports.HELLO IS ANYONE HOME :x

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

slyguy wrote:.HELLO IS ANYONE HOME :x
Someone went out to lunch thats for sure.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

This is f*cking ridiculous, regardless to whom we've subbed this job. Our government has spent how many billions on an unnecessary Homeland Security Department, yet we're still subcontracting vital roles to outside firms?

What a joke. And it's an even bigger laugh since we're subbing out to a country that can't be trusted. The truth is, the U.S. has NO allies in the Arab world in the war on terror. Some Arab countries will kiss our ass to get our arms and support and then stab us at the first chance when Uncle Omar comes calling needing a favor. Saudi Arabia, anyone?

Then again, maybe the U.S. government and a firm from the UAE are a match made in heaven, because I don't trust either of them to protect my best interests.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pk500 wrote:
Then again, maybe the U.S. government and a firm from the UAE are a match made in heaven, because I don't trust either of them to protect my best interests.

Take care,
PK
I just think this smells of a rat. Just doesnt make any sense.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

It is even more puzzling because port security is often cited as the least secure commercial entry point in America. And it's not to target Arabs specifically -- I don't think this job should be given to any non-American company.

I am surprised there hasn't been more of an uproar over this -- there was a bigger stink made when the Chinese were looking to buy Unocal.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Brando70 wrote: I am surprised there hasn't been more of an uproar over this -- there was a bigger stink made when the Chinese were looking to buy Unocal.
A bigger stink over a hunting accident too.

Hopefully there will be. I am with Boxer on this. It cant happen.

TheMightyPuck
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheMightyPuck »

Shouldn't we have thought about this when we let a foreign company have the job in the first place. Of course PK brings up a good point. Subcontracting the work means you are going to be subject to the whims of the marketplace. This seems like one of the rare cases where big government might be a better idea than the free market. It also begs the question of what exactly is an "American" company. The biggest companies these days tend to be multinational.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

I dont know about you guys, but I felt a lot better about the Brits running this, than a country that has proven ties to 9/11 (one of the hijacker's got funds from an account in the U.A.E) and terrorism in general. Oh yeah, and they want Israel obliterated. But other than that, I'm sure we can trust em. :? 8O :? 8O :? 8O

peabody
Mario Mendoza

Post by peabody »

JackB1 wrote:I dont know about you guys, but I felt a lot better about the Brits running this, than a country that has proven ties to 9/11 (one of the hijacker's got funds from an account in the U.A.E) and terrorism in general. Oh yeah, and they want Israel obliterated. But other than that, I'm sure we can trust em. :? 8O :? 8O :? 8O
My wife is from Israel. She does not have a fond view of Muslims. Her description of one goes something like this:

"A muslim to your face will be honorable. He will invite you into his home to break bread with him at the dinner table. After dinner, when you turn to leave for the door, he will take the knife from the table and stab you in the back with it."

I don't like these guys running some of our ports either.

TRI
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by TRI »

I think it is unfortunate that people in this forum think that because it is a Arab company it must be a security risk. Not all Arabs are terrorists and many are virtuous and peace loving. Trashing Arabs may be popular but that does not make it right.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

TRI wrote:I think it is unfortunate that people in this forum think that because it is a Arab company it must be a security risk.
So you don't think there would be outrage in an Arab country if a US company would be given this much responsibility over national security? Aren't just as many Americans virtuous and peace loving? Where's the love?

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

peabody wrote: "A muslim to your face will be honorable. He will invite you into his home to break bread with him at the dinner table. After dinner, when you turn to leave for the door, he will take the knife from the table and stab you in the back with it."
Let's stop with the baseless stereotyping in this thread, alright?

peabody
Mario Mendoza

Post by peabody »

Jared wrote:
peabody wrote: "A muslim to your face will be honorable. He will invite you into his home to break bread with him at the dinner table. After dinner, when you turn to leave for the door, he will take the knife from the table and stab you in the back with it."
Yeah, I admit that was harsh. Sorry about that. I think all the riots over the three month old political cartoon have pushed me over the edge.

I try not to be a racist person, but sadly, as I have grown older I have started to become more prejudice toward the Muslim faith. I know there is good there, but it's very hard to see it nowadays.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

peabody wrote:
Jared wrote:
Yeah, I admit that was harsh. Sorry about that. I think all the riots over the three month old political cartoon have pushed me over the edge.

I try not to be a racist person, but sadly, as I have grown older I have started to become more prejudice toward the Muslim faith. I know there is good there, but it's very hard to see it nowadays.

Wait a minute. We are in here hollering foul about Arabs controlling our ports (it IS worthy of a serious head scratch, don't get me wrong), but a guy quoting his Israeli wife's view of the same Arabs is 'baseless stereotyping?!'

The whole damn thread is baseless stereotyping, if you want to take that route, Jared. Geez, the eggshells we walk on...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

peabody
Mario Mendoza

Post by peabody »

tealboy03 wrote:
peabody wrote:
Jared wrote: Let's stop with the baseless stereotyping in this thread, alright?

Wait a minute. We are in here hollering foul about Arabs controlling our ports (it IS worthy of a serious head scratch, don't get me wrong), but a guy quoting his Israeli wife's view of the same Arabs is 'baseless stereotyping?!'

The whole damn thread is baseless stereotyping, if you want to take that route, Jared. Geez, the eggshells we walk on...
Well, it probably has to do with the fact that my only point was “Don’t trust Muslims. They’re all back-stabbers.” Clearly, all are not. Others were engaging in more of a debate about port security.

I do agree with your point that everyone in here is prejudging an Arab-owned company operating our ports. And, in this instance, prejudge is exactly what we should do. It’s poor judgment to allow this to occur at this time. Still, this is a shade different than judging an entire society.

I don’t want to go into great debate over this, because the thread will turn south quick. My wife certainly has had plenty of time to formulate her opinion. It doesn’t make her evil, but when you see a lot of stuff go down it changes you. I’ve had ample time to hear plenty of interesting stories about her days in the army. Everyone goes for three years (I think) at the age of 18 in Israel. When you see a pregnant woman or young child trying to come across the Jordan Bridge acting all innocent, then search the car to find weapons or a bomb inside, it changes you. My wife has actual shown me cartoons aimed at Palestinian children showing a young boy acting out a suicide bombing on the evil Israeli’s. It’s encouraged. Now you’re a hero. Don’t think that these kinds of things aren’t going on in some other Arab nations as well.

Now we have 9-11, the subway bombs in England, violent riots over political cartoons, Iran wanting Israel wiped off the map and proceeding with nuclear research, etc, etc. Not a very good track record. It makes not want to trust.

Still, I shouldn’t have posted what I posted the way I posted it.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

peabody wrote:
tealboy03 wrote:
peabody wrote: Yeah, I admit that was harsh. Sorry about that. I think all the riots over the three month old political cartoon have pushed me over the edge.

Well, it probably has to do with the fact that my only point was “Don’t trust Muslims. They’re all back-stabbers.” Clearly, all are not. Others were engaging in more of a debate about port security.

I do agree with your point that everyone in here is prejudging an Arab-owned company operating our ports. And, in this instance, prejudge is exactly what we should do. It’s poor judgment to allow this to occur at this time. Still, this is a shade different than judging an entire society.

I don’t want to go into great debate over this, because the thread will turn south quick. My wife certainly has had plenty of time to formulate her opinion. It doesn’t make her evil, but when you see a lot of stuff go down it changes you. I’ve had ample time to hear plenty of interesting stories about her days in the army. Everyone goes for three years (I think) at the age of 18 in Israel. When you see a pregnant woman or young child trying to come across the Jordan Bridge acting all innocent, then search the car to find weapons or a bomb inside, it changes you. My wife has actual shown me cartoons aimed at Palestinian children showing a young boy acting out a suicide bombing on the evil Israeli’s. It’s encouraged. Now you’re a hero. Don’t think that these kinds of things aren’t going on in some other Arab nations as well.

Now we have 9-11, the subway bombs in England, violent riots over political cartoons, Iran wanting Israel wiped off the map and proceeding with nuclear research, etc, etc. Not a very good track record. It makes not want to trust.

Still, I shouldn’t have posted what I posted the way I posted it.

Well, ok. It's your post; I don't want to be accused of being the profiling peacenik in here (AS IF :wink: ) by saying we shouldn't be very nervous about this action. It's right up there with the alien amnesty thing-no, above that, actually-as a big mistake, I think. I don't know everything there is to know about it, so I could be wrong...

But it just sounds looney...

Unless it's a rope-a-dope type deal; then it could be brilliant...

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

Teal,

The bigger problem w/a UAE company controlling ports is that it's a foreign company, and a country where there are a lot of people that are against our policy are. Sort of like having the Chinese controlling port security during the Cold War for instance. Peabody's quote was basically that Muslims = backstabbers, and I don't think it's walking on eggshells to call people on that.

Peabody,

I'm totally cool with people expressing their opinions here, but I do bristle when stereotypes are thrown out (hence the response). Thanks for being cool about this.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

This is unreal. This is something you'd hear out of the Clinton years and scratch your head about. Maybe all those conspiracy theorists aren't that nuts at all.

I am glad to see both sides of the aisle are against this. Goes to show you oil and money will always take precedence over national security.

I haven't followed the news today but are Fox News and guys like Limbaugh going after Bush on this? It's almost traitorous (sp?).

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Inuyasha wrote:This is unreal. This is something you'd hear out of the Clinton years and scratch your head about. Maybe all those conspiracy theorists aren't that nuts at all.

I am glad to see both sides of the aisle are against this. Goes to show you oil and money will always take precedence over national security.

I haven't followed the news today but are Fox News and guys like Limbaugh going after Bush on this? It's almost traitorous (sp?).
nobody is for this. Since most people in here stay 10 miles away from Limbaugh, I'll tell you. Basically, he said while it makes good economic sense, it makes zero political sense. So I don't know of anyone not on the administration payroll that is talking this thing up as a good thing.

This will have a very short life, I believe. The outcry on both sides is just too great...

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I just want to know how anyone could think this was a good idea. If this storyline developed on 24 I wouldn't believe it. Seriously, the people respobsible should be brought on TV to explain what the hell was running through their heads. Then we should be allowed to throw baseballs at a target and dunk them so they'll know not to be so clueless next time.

TRI, it has nothing to do with being against Arabs. It's more a case of not wanting a foreign company controlling domestic security. But since there are quite a few Arab terrorists gunning for us, giving it to a UAE-based company makes even less sense.