"2006: The Year When EA & 2K Must Win Back The Fans

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

"2006: The Year When EA & 2K Must Win Back The Fans

Post by GTHobbes »

OS had the link for this, and I thought it was a pretty good article. Can't say that I disagree with some of the points that he makes.

http://www.consolesports.net/modules.ph ... =0&thold=0

anchester
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by anchester »

sounds good in theory. But EA's stagnation and focus on flash instead of substance has always been a recipe to win the non hardcore market and make mega sales. I don't see this changing.

Basically all media (movies and games) are all watered down to appeal to the masses. Marketing first, shallow but glitzy, sequel successful ideas which makes the quality stuff fewer and far between.

Funny thing is both industries do well w/ this strategy in the short run, but hurt their respective industries in the long run as evidenced by slowing sales. There are only so many shooters and gta clones that even the masses can handle. W/O risk taking and new ideas, no new genres and gameplay experiences will be had creating more stagnation.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Plus I'm not buying this sh*t that EA and 2K Sports produced mediocre sh*tware this year.

<b>EA</b>

-- Madden 06 was more than just the Vision Cone and a few tweaks. It was a very good football game.

-- NCAA 06 put the franchise back on the right track after the horrid NCAA 2005.

-- NASCAR 06 introduced the stupid Total Team Control concept, but it still had a lot of the strengths of the superb NASCAR 2005.

-- FIFA 06 may still be eons behind Winning Eleven, but it was the best FIFA yet.

-- EA could have let the MVP engine die, but instead it took a risk and released a college baseball game based on that engine. Excellent game.

-- EA has put a lot of attention and care into Rugby 06, which apparently is a much-improved and very good game. We're lucky that EA would even consider releasing a "fringe sport" game here in the States, let alone a good one.

-- Arena Football isn't getting the best reviews, but at least EA is trying to start new franchises.

I didn't play NBA Live, Tiger or March Madness, so the only complete EA dud that I played this year was NHL 06. That was sh*tware. Otherwise, I think EA had a pretty damn good year of games.

<b>2K</b>

-- NHL 2K6 is superb, especially with slider tweaks. Best console hockey game ever.

-- I didn't play NBA 2K6 for any console, but a lot of guys around here sure like it for the 360, PS2 and Xbox.

-- College Hoops 2K6 was a really strong game right out of the box.

So again, I don't get the "EA and 2K need to get their sh*t together" remarks.

Anyone who moans about stripped-down features in launch games on next-gen consoles obviously hasn't been around the industry that long. The same thing has happened with every new console launch. Graphics first, gameplay and added features next.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Interesting article which tries to appeal to the conscience of EA/2K to focus on the gamer; unfortunately these are corporations, and thus have no conscience. It's business, and in business, it's the numbers that matter.
Madden 2006 (current gen) was a mediocre rehash of 2005 with a vision cone and a few AI adjustments. Then, to make matters worse, Madden 2006 had less than half the features of its current-gen cousin.
... I don’t envy EA’s position, because they’ve alienated so many gamers in the past several years.

True, but that re-hashed Madden still sold like condoms in whorehouse! There is very little MARKET penalty for EA's lack of innovation, nor for the exclusive licensing deals. Madden will sell MORE copies as long as there isn't a competitor, and so will MLB 2k6.

While I'd love to believe that we're somehow going to reignite the developers focus on the audience, it will always be the business that matters most.

[/quote][/i]
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

While you can certainly make a case against EA's 360 offerings for not containing as many options/courses/modules etc as the current generation versions, I still think that it is a little unreasonable to expect a company to come up with a new engine and maintain the same options as the old engine - especially on a tight timeline. Personally, I was pleased with Madden 06 - and plan to keep it until the next version comes out. And while I am not a huge golf gamer, Tiger 06 was a big improvement over past versions.

I think it is even more unreasonable to criticize 2K for their 360 efforts. 2K took their xbox generation games and upped the graphics and fine tuned the AI. Are NBA 2K6 and NHL 2K6 360 perfect? No, and they are similar to the xobx versions. But they are still both great games. For those people who don't think that the 360 versions are worth the price increases over the current gen games, well, the solution is simple - don't buy them.

Like PK said, EA has not only released some solid sequels, but they took a chance with both NCAA Baseball and Arena Football. I am probably more pleased with EA right now than I have been in the last 4-5 years.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

pk500 wrote:Plus I'm not buying this sh*t that EA and 2K Sports produced mediocre sh*tware this year.

<b>EA</b>

-- Madden 06 was more than just the Vision Cone and a few tweaks. It was a very good football game.

-- NCAA 06 put the franchise back on the right track after the horrid NCAA 2005.

-- NASCAR 06 introduced the stupid Total Team Control concept, but it still had a lot of the strengths of the superb NASCAR 2005.

-- FIFA 06 may still be eons behind Winning Eleven, but it was the best FIFA yet.

-- EA could have let the MVP engine die, but instead it took a risk and released a college baseball game based on that engine. Excellent game.

-- EA has put a lot of attention and care into Rugby 06, which apparently is a much-improved and very good game. We're lucky that EA would even consider releasing a "fringe sport" game here in the States, let alone a good one.

-- Arena Football isn't getting the best reviews, but at least EA is trying to start new franchises.

I didn't play NBA Live, Tiger or March Madness, so the only complete EA dud that I played this year was NHL 06. That was sh*tware. Otherwise, I think EA had a pretty damn good year of games.

<b>2K</b>

-- NHL 2K6 is superb, especially with slider tweaks. Best console hockey game ever.

-- I didn't play NBA 2K6 for any console, but a lot of guys around here sure like it for the 360, PS2 and Xbox.

Anyone who moans about stripped-down features in launch games on next-gen consoles obviously hasn't been around the industry that long. The same thing has happened with every new console launch. Graphics first, gameplay and added features next.

Take care,
PK
Agreed with eveything said here.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Pk,

While I agree with everything you said, Madden needs a huge step up in presentation. The lack of atmosphere in the Madden series is downright pathetic. I have a lot of faith the presentation in Madden '07 will be a positive change now that they can incorporate ESPN in to their games. I'm hoping we'll finally get a true broadcast feeling similar to what the 2K series had.

anchester
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by anchester »

kevinpars wrote: Like PK said, EA has not only released some solid sequels, but they took a chance with both NCAA Baseball and Arena Football. I am probably more pleased with EA right now than I have been in the last 4-5 years.
I agree w/ most of your comments except Arena Football. I don't see this as a risk but rather EA just whoring out its tired game engine for another money grab. NFL Head Coach up next.

How many games can someone buy where the gameplay engine is basically the same (madden, arena, ncaa, street to some extent, headcoach). Its like 20 SIMs expansion packs.

To me, the arena game should have been a mode in the madden football game.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

What are the odds that Rugby 06 might turn out to be their best game? I prepurchased it and I still don't have it yet. Hopefully I will have it tonight. The couple of guys on OS that have it are giving it high praise.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

anchester wrote:To me, the arena game should have been a mode in the madden football game.
So should NCAA football be included, too?

While Arena Football does use the old, tired original PS2 engine for its base; it sounds like the game is different enough...plus it is only $30.

PK, you are spot-on about the two companies' efforts this year. MVP NCAA, NHL 2k6, and Madden are about all I've been playing lately.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

pk500 wrote:Plus I'm not buying this sh*t that EA and 2K Sports produced mediocre sh*tware this year.

<b>EA</b>

Take care,
PK

I absolutely agree with you on this point the most. Most people here in the states cant simply come to appreciate the pure Rugby genious of Rugby 06'.

In only their 4th installment of this franchise. They nailed this game spot on. It is not just 05' with tweaks and what not. This is a revalation when it comes to the translation of this great game.

I cant tell you how overwhelmed I am as to how good and realistic this game is.

Dont wanna threadjack heh. I'll leave it at that.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Give us an impressions thread Bolt...I'm pondering picking it up this afternoon.

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

tjung0831 wrote:What are the odds that Rugby 06 might turn out to be their best game? I prepurchased it and I still don't have it yet. Hopefully I will have it tonight. The couple of guys on OS that have it are giving it high praise.
It is up there with WE9, and to me maybe even better. It is EA's best sports game out to this day, bar none. You can take that to the bank.

I honestly went through about 2 modes last night all straight through in one shot! I'm talking 9 hours straight! With appropriate breaks of course.

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Give us an impressions thread Bolt...I'm pondering picking it up this afternoon.
I'm word padding up a review / impressions as I type this DB. Hang on.

blueduke
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by blueduke »

<b>EA</b>

<b>2K</b>

Take care,
PK
PK nails it for sure. This has been the best year of quality games (imo of course) EA has ever put out. I used to loathe the company b/c they would put out some real crap and call it a game. Usually they'd release one or maybe sometimes two games that were decent. But the last 12 months they've released MVP 2005 (best baseball game for the Xbox by a mile), MVP NCAA, a game that has me addicted at least until MLB: The Show is released. Madden 06, while not 2K it was still a fantastic football game. NCAA 06 was a comeback of the year winner if there ever was one. Not a bad 12 months if you ask me.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I agree with blueduke and PK. Madden in particular was much better than most give it credit, because you had to look past the tired presentation to see how much better the game was this year.

The other odd thing about the original column was the blanket statement that 2k baseball was arcade-like. 2k4 really wasn't and was probably the most sim-like console game after High Heat. Even MVP 2005, while very realistic, had a bit more arcade flair than the very straightforward ESPN MLB.

Likewise, NBA 2k6 is quite a good game and the best basketball game I've played since Inside Drive. I don't like the way the CPU runs their offense as much as ID, but the rest of the game is fantastic.

I frankly expected the consolidation of available games to hurt my enjoyment of sports games, due to developers not being pushed by more competitors. So far that hasn't happened.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

For those who think EA's current offerings suck or are mediocre, rewind the clock three years.

In 2003, EA had two good games. Period. Madden 2003 and NCAA 2003.

Every other EA Sports game SUCKED. NBA Live 2003. Tiger Woods 2003. NASCAR Thunder 2003. March Madness 2003. Triple Play 2003. NHL 2003. FIFA 2003. They all were bad to really bad games if you wanted anything resembling a sim.

Contrast that to now, when NHL 06 is the only true clunker in the bunch.

I call that progress.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

nba live is trash too.

Madden gets dinged because of terrible presentation... yet anyone who knows football and enjoys a strategic game, it can't be beat.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Boom wrote:Madden gets dinged because of terrible presentation... yet anyone who knows football and enjoys a strategic game, it can't be beat.
I know football. I enjoy a strategic game. I still prefer 2k5 to Madden.
-Matt

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

pk500 wrote:Contrast that to now, when NHL 06 is the only true clunker in the bunch.
I don't have a 360 yet, but according to a lot of gamers and reviews, both Live and Madden are clunkers on the 360.

EAs sports games have improved overall in the past 2-3 years. One unforseen benefit we might get out of these exclusive deals is innovation in the forms of NCAA basbeall and Arena Football. Still, Nascar Heat, a game from 3 years ago still rules over any EA Nascar game. Just think how cool a Heat game would be today. Instead, we are at the mercy of one company.

At this point, the only major sport I think EA has the best game is baseball.
-Matt

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

matthewk wrote:
Boom wrote:Madden gets dinged because of terrible presentation... yet anyone who knows football and enjoys a strategic game, it can't be beat.
I know football. I enjoy a strategic game. I still prefer 2k5 to Madden.
Right. So do I. But it's still a Coke vs. Pepsi argument. Madden is not a bad game, not by any stretch. It's a very good game, but some, like you and I, still prefer 2K5.

I like 2K5 because it plays a style of football that I prefer and because I'm very comfortable with the series as a long-time player. But I enjoyed Madden 06 as a very good football game. The "giveaway glitch" is what ruined Madden for me, not the quality of the gameplay.

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

matthewk wrote:Still, Nascar Heat, a game from 3 years ago still rules over any EA Nascar game. Just think how cool a Heat game would be today. Instead, we are at the mercy of one company.
I'll beg to differ on that one.

Heat is a better true sim of the physics of NASCAR racing than NASCAR 2005, but NASCAR 2005 is a MUCH better overall package than Heat.

NASCAR 2005 offers a much better career mode, online play, full licensing for cars (except Schrader, Mayfield) and tracks (except Pocono), racing in four classes and fun, fairly realistic and competitive racing. Yeah, the field reordering during cautions is totally screwed up in NASCAR 2005 and 06, but NASCAR Heat 2002's caution flag logic was really messed up, too. Having to sit through the entire caution period in NASCAR Heat is incredibly tedious, and the game also has a bad habit at times of restarting the race exiting Turn 4 on the final lap, creating a totally unrealistic front-straightaway dash for the checkers.
matthewk wrote:At this point, the only major sport I think EA has the best game is baseball.
I think the point that we're trying to make is that the sim quality of EA's games, especially for the Xbox, has improved markedly in the last three years. They're not arcade games disguised as sims, and some aren't even watered-down sims any more but are closer to full-blown console sims.

Hell, I've been a withering EA critic for the last seven years. But I really think the company is realizing that sports gamers enjoy sims and are adjusting their products accordingly. Whether it's because EA is reacting to competition from rival sims or because it's listening to its customers, I don't care. I just know that EA's games are much better than they were in 2003.

Take care,
PK

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I think the big change is that EA seems to be putting effort into most of their games to make them better. They may still not be great, but they are at least trying. You didn't have that feeling a couple years ago. Even with Madden 06, they fixed a lot of little issues they often overlook, which made it a better one-player game than 2k5 in my opinion (although I still think 2k is better head-to-head).

The real problem isn't EA and 2k. The real problem is that we lost other companies and franchises along the way. High Heat, Inside Drive, All-Star Baseball, Links, and so on...even if you didn't like those games, there was at least more variety to choose from.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Brando70 wrote:The real problem isn't EA and 2k. The real problem is that we lost other companies and franchises along the way. High Heat, Inside Drive, All-Star Baseball, Links, and so on...even if you didn't like those games, there was at least more variety to choose from.
Good point, Brando. But am I the only one who finds it ironic that EA didn't care about improving its products when it had competition from many fronts, but now it seems to really focus on tweaking and honing the gameplay of its games now that it really only has one true competitor, 2K Games?

I always thought competition improved the breed, not the other way around.

Interesting!

Take care,
PK

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

True, PK, but with sports games those changes usually take time. I imagine EA was watching its competitors not just for sales, but for innovation ideas.

I just miss how, with the major sports, there was usually the possibility of a dark horse candidate that could wind up being a great title. Outside of WE, most action-based sports games boil down to EA vs. 2k. Inside Drive is a perfect example -- as much as I like 2k6, the AI in ID was just better and tended to reflect team tendencies more realistically.

This year is going to be the big test for how the thinning of the field plays out, especially if you own an XBox or 360, where you will have one choice for MLB and NFL games.