FSC to start a show called "Super Saturday"

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

FSC to start a show called "Super Saturday"

Post by fsquid »

8 hour block devoted to the EPL, even more reason for Sheffield wednesday to get their ass up there.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5242442

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Way cool! Plus Mad Max is hosting. I think I'm the president of the Bretos Fan Club, as I'm one of the few people who think he's great.

Thanks for the link.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

TheMightyPuck
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: FSC to start a show called "Super Saturday"

Post by TheMightyPuck »

fsquid wrote:...get their ass up there.
Most likely for the traditional purpose.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

pk500 wrote:Way cool! Plus Mad Max is hosting. I think I'm the president of the Bretos Fan Club, as I'm one of the few people who think he's great.

Thanks for the link.

Take care,
PK
I am very, very torn about him. Both his passion for the game and his knowledge run very deep, and that is compelling. But his ridiculous schtick makes him hard to take seriously. Very interesting guy.

One of the things I love about FSC is the relative "outsider" feel of the whole operation. Now I know it's Rupert and all, but there's a cool little vibe on the air with the 70's state-of-the-art production for the nightly show, the charming amateurism of FFF and the presence of personalities like Bretos and Bobby McMahon. Seriously, couldn't someone in the Fox Megalopoly toss them a few grand to upgrade the set, lighting and production on Fox Sports World Report? I keep expecting Bob & Ted McKenzie to show up.

Even their feed of SkySports is exotic, what with its elephantine setup of 15 different crawls and panels showing things like billiards and darts...It's like CNBC on crack for Anglophile sporting enthusiasts.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rob:

I remember reading somewhere where Bretos is very active in the L.A. theatre scene, performing in plays and musicals. That could explain his "schtick" and propensity to sing sometimes on the air, all of which I find madcap enough to be refreshing.

Couldn't agree more with you on the FSC "vibe," which I also like. It's the only reason why a guy like Bretos could work at FSC. I can't see Mad Max doing "Baseball Tonight," for example. :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Or, how about they just offer us Sky Sports directly on our cable systems?

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I like Bretos, but I agree his schtick does get too thick at times. I don't much like his bit on the FSW Report show. But all is forgiven because of his serious attitude of respect and enthusiasm for the game as a whole and MLS specifically. The difference from when he does a local LA Galaxy game vs. when he does whatever MLS game of the week that's on FSW demonstrates he gets it. Hopkins can be a bit of a pill, but I don't hate him as much as many seem to. In fact, I generally like him when he does the Bundesliga games and others, but his color work on the Galaxy games is way, way too homerish, to the point of me wondering what game he is watching. He seems to see a lot that just isn't there. In the end, though, those two really are the second best local MLS group in the country behind J.P. Dellacamera and "WOW" Shep Messing! Who esle would do a game with a chipped tooth and a black eye than Shep? "I love it!" Then again, you just can't do better than mad-man Ray Hudson on the Salt Lake games. That guy is a freaking laugh a minute! He pulls out obscure metaphors and 'old time' expressions, like Dan Rather on coke! Christian Miles is the one that just drives me up a freaking wall. He's competent, but something about his delivery just grates me. The FSW Report production value, I just chalk up to it being Canadian :) .

I'm one who just can't stand FFF, though. It's not just the bottom of the barrel production value, it's the whole thing. Just rubs me the wrong way. I like the idea of it, and appreciate there's a call in show about soccer on TV, and especially that they aren't afraid of talking about MLS, the way many Eurosnobs are, but I just can't get into it. I guess I'm just not enough of a dedicated Premiership fan to give a damn what those two guys think.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

pk500 wrote:Way cool! Plus Mad Max is hosting. I think I'm the president of the Bretos Fan Club, as I'm one of the few people who think he's great.

Thanks for the link.

Take care,
PK

Either EA or Konami should hire this guy and sell his GOOOAAALLL voice(at least when he covers the Argentine games).

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:

Thanks for the link.

Take care,
PK

Either EA or Konami should hire this guy and sell his GOOOAAALLL voice(at least when he covers the Argentine games).
Absolutely! Nothing better than hearing Max yell:

"GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLUH! LIVIN' ON THE END OF A LIGHTNIN' BOLT ... GUILLERMO BARROS SCHELOTTO IN THE 79TH MINUTE. 2-NIL, BOCA!"

I use Guillermo only because that's Max's best name, not because I like Boca, you bastard! :)

Take care,
PK

vanburen
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by vanburen »

I think max is great, but I could see his act getting old like chris berman. but max isn't as exposed on tv.

anyone know whatever happened to lionel bienvenu? he was great on the old 2-hour epl highlights show on fox sports before fsworld even came around, like late 90s.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

"Then again, you just can't do better than mad-man Ray Hudson on the Salt Lake games. That guy is a freaking laugh a minute!"

I'm in two minds about him. He is entertaining, and relaxed as evidenced by him not being afraid to use small swear words like hell and damn. But he does a lot of games on Gol TV and he's such a slurper of the stars. During one Real Madrid game he was gushing so much over Zidane (who wasn't doing anything special) I was expecting him to have to go and take a "bathroom" break. And he gets so excited over every single goal scoring chance. Hudson must scream "HE'S INNN!!" a dozen times every half when a player has a chance to score, and only one or two of those end up being goals.

He actually is better on the weekly wrap-up shows where he's not overcome by the excitement of commentating on a game in Europe from a small stuido somewhere in America.

Programmed2Kill
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Re: FSC to start a show called "Super Saturday"

Post by Programmed2Kill »

fsquid wrote:8 hour block devoted to the EPL, even more reason for Sheffield wednesday to get their ass up there.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5242442

I thought they started that last Saturday? I swear I came across it while channel surfing.

And isn't the Fox Sports Report show in freakin' Winnipeg?!?! Why up there in the middle of ice age Canada??

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

pk500 wrote: Absolutely! Nothing better than hearing Max yell:

"GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLUH! LIVIN' ON THE END OF A LIGHTNIN' BOLT ... GUILLERMO BARROS SCHELOTTO IN THE 79TH MINUTE. 2-NIL, BOCA!"

I use Guillermo only because that's Max's best name, not because I like Boca, you bastard! :)

Take care,
PK
And I think he shouts a much better GOOOAAAALLL!!! when Boca scores as supposed to River's Gayyyardo's! And it's Guiyyyyermo Barrrros Schelotto. Dale Boca! :wink:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

No question Barros Schelotto is Max's best call. But Max and Bozzo -- bummer he's not on the Argentine broadcasts anymore -- gave a great call whenever Lucas Mareque or Pipino Cuevas scored for River in the last couple of years.

Bozzo called Mareque "Salitas" because he looked like a young Marcelo Salas, so "SALITASSSSSSSSS!" really rolled from Max almost as well as "PIPINO!" There was one game when Pipino came off the bench at about the 60th minute and scored twice within 10 minutes. Bretos went nuts.

Bretos also calls Martin Palermo's name great during Boca games. Any time Palermo shoots, Bretos yells in an escalating voice, "MAR-TEEEEEEEEEN!"

But second only to Barros Schelotto to me in the Max Hall of Fame is Boca's new striker Federico Insua. He scored a brilliant hat trick for Independiente last year against River, and Bretos was howling, "IN-SOO-AAAAAAAAA!!!"

I love Max. As if you couldn't tell. :)

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

vanburen wrote:I think max is great, but I could see his act getting old like chris berman. but max isn't as exposed on tv.

anyone know whatever happened to lionel bienvenu? he was great on the old 2-hour epl highlights show on fox sports before fsworld even came around, like late 90s.
Not sure about Bienvenu. Remember how he and Max used to bag on each other all the time on that show? Now that schtick got old!

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Zeppo wrote:Christian Miles is the one that just drives me up a freaking wall. He's competent, but something about his delivery just grates me.

Same here. And the new guy Fox Soccer Channel has -- John something -- can't even pronounce basic names correctly.
Zeppo wrote:I'm one who just can't stand FFF, though. It's not just the bottom of the barrel production value, it's the whole thing. Just rubs me the wrong way. I like the idea of it, and appreciate there's a call in show about soccer on TV, and especially that they aren't afraid of talking about MLS, the way many Eurosnobs are, but I just can't get into it. I guess I'm just not enough of a dedicated Premiership fan to give a damn what those two guys think.
I thought FFF was excellent last year because it was more of a mirror of Nick and Steven's radio show. They spent more time talking about issues or trends, including their always entertaining and sometimes insightful rants.

But the show has plunged into the toilet this year because it's nothing but an endless pimp for the games FSC is showing over the weekend. Damn near the whole show consists of Nick and Steven giving a few stats and a few benign opinions about the FSC matchups in the EPL and MLS, and then taking a few phone calls.

I'll stick to their World Soccer Daily radio show on the Internet, instead. Way more bite in that show.

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Zeppo wrote:Christian Miles is the one that just drives me up a freaking wall. He's competent, but something about his delivery just grates me.
Same here. And the new guy Fox Soccer Channel has -- John something -- can't even pronounce basic names correctly.
Zeppo wrote:I'm one who just can't stand FFF, though. It's not just the bottom of the barrel production value, it's the whole thing. Just rubs me the wrong way. I like the idea of it, and appreciate there's a call in show about soccer on TV, and especially that they aren't afraid of talking about MLS, the way many Eurosnobs are, but I just can't get into it. I guess I'm just not enough of a dedicated Premiership fan to give a damn what those two guys think.
I thought FFF was excellent last year because it was more of a mirror of Nick and Steven's radio show. They spent more time talking about issues or trends, including their always entertaining and sometimes insightful rants.

But the show has plunged into the toilet this year because it's nothing but an endless pimp for the games FSC is showing over the weekend. Damn near the whole show consists of Nick and Steven giving a few stats and a few benign opinions about the FSC matchups in the EPL and MLS, and then taking a few phone calls.

I'll stick to their World Soccer Daily radio show on the Internet, instead. Way more bite in that show.

Speaking of FSC, "Dream Team" is on tonight. Sex and soccer ... nice!

Take care,
PK

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Bretos is light years ahead of some of the American knobs they put on, at least check if the guy knows how to say the teams names correctly. Thank goodness they switch to the home feed at kickoff , cos it would be unwatchable ,like the Italian Games.

vanburen
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by vanburen »

a great american soccer announcer is sean wheelock, who used to do KC Wiz games and does some national stuff. he's broadcasting the superbowl for bbc this weekend for the 3rd straight year.

FFF was unwatchable. those guys were so annoying. maybe it works on radio but on tv, it's awkward and makes me cringe.