Kaput Xbox update: Get out the fork

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Kaput Xbox update: Get out the fork

Post by pk500 »

Boys:

I bought some Torx drivers and some compressed air last night and tore open my Xbox tonight, trying to clean the chassis, components, laser and mirror in hopes that the kaput Xbox I detailed in an earlier thread would pull a Lazarus and spring to life.

Followed these GREAT instructions, by the way:

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/crac ... t_xbox.htm

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/clea ... _drive.htm

After 90 minutes of work, start playing "Taps" for my Xbox. She's officially kaput. I still get dirty disc errors after thorough cleaning, so the laser is shot in the Thomson drive.

Thanks to EVERYONE for your advice in my previous thread about my failing Xbox. It's time for me to take a hiatus for console gaming and starting scrimping and selling for a 360. Thank God for Football Manager 2006!

I'll see you cats down the road on Xbox Live, hopefully by late summer or early fall. Until then, I'll still be around on the Forum, but probably not as much. No games to talk about. And I'll definitely be scarce around here next month when WE 9 and TOCA 3 are released, you bastards! :cry: :)

It's time for my Xbox "sayonara" sale, and I'd much rather sell to you cats at a fair price than on eBay. JackB1 already has dibs on my Action Replay, but I have these games and equipment to sell:

Operation Flashpoint: $20
Controller S (pristine): $15
Xbox Live headset (pristine): $15
NHL 2K6: $15
Colin McRae Rally 2005: $10
TOCA 2: $8
NFL 2K5: $3

The games are all in flawless condition with original case and instructions.

PM me if you're interested in any of this stuff. Anything unsold by Friday night is going on eBay Saturday. Thanks!

Take care,
PK

P.S. to Jackdog: Jack-diggity, I'll PM you about getting you this box for the vets with a new drive like we talked about on the phone Monday night.
Last edited by pk500 on Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:45 am, edited 5 times in total.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

so long for now pk.... see ya eventually on the 360 side (when i get mine as well)...

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

PK without an XBox is like a Foot without a big toe...

Sgt. Hulka won't always be there to be that big toe...
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Sport73 wrote:PK without an XBox is like a Foot without a big toe...

That's Uncle Hulka to you ... :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Bad luck with the Xbox. Hopefully when you buy a 360 later this year you'll be getting a console that'll last four or five years.

ProvoAnC
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ProvoAnC »

what a gay
I have a new gamertag Provo 4569

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

ProvoAnC wrote:what a gay
You forgot blade, Rock. Blade.

Love,
Richard Simmons

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Feanor wrote:Bad luck with the Xbox. Hopefully when you buy a 360 later this year you'll be getting a console that'll last four or five years.
Three-plus years with a Thomson drive isn't that bad. Considering I bought it in August 2002 for $199, I got much more than my money's worth out of it. I played the hell out of it, especially in the first two years.

Take care,
PK

Programmed2Kill
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by Programmed2Kill »

Sorry to hear that, PK. But time away from console gaming will be a relief. You'll feel it after a few days.

I would take that XBL headset off you since I broke mine (can't say how I did it...long story)...but uh, I just put a headband on and stick the headset under it.

Yes, I'm ghetto.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

pk500 wrote:
Feanor wrote:Bad luck with the Xbox. Hopefully when you buy a 360 later this year you'll be getting a console that'll last four or five years.
Three-plus years with a Thomson drive isn't that bad. Considering I bought it in August 2002 for $199, I got much more than my money's worth out of it. I played the hell out of it, especially in the first two years.

Take care,
PK
That is pretty good for a Thompson. My Xbox only lasted 18 months, but I bought it second hand from EB for $120 when I could have got a new one for $150. Yup, I'm a sucker, but we didn't have a lot of spare cash back in May 2004 and I didn't know how unreliable Thompson drive Xboxes were until after I bought it.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Too bad you're getting rid of all your Xbox stuff. OF is still a great game, and with TOCA 3 coming out I thought for sure you'd get a new one.

Fingers crossed for backwards compatability!

I'd be interesed in some of the games if I didn't own them all already! In fact I was playing McRae rally just the other day.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Since you won't be bale to play WE9I, have you considered getting Pro Evolution Soccer 5 for the PC, pk500? I would have if my computer could run it.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Feanor wrote:Since you won't be bale to play WE9I, have you considered getting Pro Evolution Soccer 5 for the PC, pk500? I would have if my computer could run it.
Nope. Good thought, but my business laptop, which is my only computer, can't run it.

Football Manager 2006 more than satisifies my soccer gaming fix. In fact, other than missing TOCA 3, FM 2006 just about satisfies all of my gaming needs now. It's that good.

Take care,
PK

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Programmed2Kill wrote:I would take that XBL headset off you since I broke mine (can't say how I did it...long story)...but uh, I just put a headband on and stick the headset under it.

Yes, I'm ghetto.
Same thing happened to me but I used hockey tape to fasten the earpiece back to the headband part. :lol:

Sorry to hear about your Xbox pk. Start saving for that 360 and I'll see you again on Live in the summer. :wink:
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Feanor wrote:That is pretty good for a Thompson. My Xbox only lasted 18 months, but I bought it second hand from EB for $120 when I could have got a new one for $150. Yup, I'm a sucker, but we didn't have a lot of spare cash back in May 2004 and I didn't know how unreliable Thompson drive Xboxes were until after I bought it.
I got my Xbox a month after launch and it's still running today w/ the Thompson drive. Well, I sold it, but up until mid-November it was running perfectly fine. A few funny noises on boot-up, but nothing too discouraging. Can't argue with that kinda longevity on the Thompson. Never had too much of a problem with DDE's either.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

I think the person who had my Xbox first probably traded it in to EB because it started giving DDEs. So EB refurbished it but no way did they replace the DVD drive, and then they stuck it on their shelves waiting for an uninformed moron to come in and buy it.

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

Couldn't this have gone in the other thread? God. :wink:

I predict that you'll be back sooner than you say though. I know I'm looking forward to the summer when I get a 360 and Live again. I'll probably never play as much as I had in years gone by, but I know it's still damn fun and worth it for me.

When my Thomson died I did the unethical and bought a new one from Wal-mart, which I subsequently brought home, cleaned up the old one, put it in that same box, and returned it the next day.

Then again, I also worked there and absolutely hated every single part of the store. Thankfully I don't work there anymore...
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Glad you brought this up, PK, even though you didn't intend to. I sold all my stuff again last night. Xbox, games and all. I just couldn't get back into it again like I'd thought. I kept thinking of other hobbies that I could spend money on, that would benefit me in greater ways. (ie hiking and my fatass health, bicycling)

Just bought a Magellan with the proceeds for my hiking fix. It looks like I just may be done for good. I don't want a 360, don't care about all the new gaming press, and as good as some of the upcoming games could probably be, I just realized that I really don't want to do it anymore.

I may pop in from time to time via mixdj's 360, but that's about it. I just couldn't get the 'feel' back after being gone so long. I guess that season's just over with.

I'll still come in and talk shop about sports and 'stuff' as well, so see ya'll around...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Teal:

The thought certainly has crossed my mind, too, especially as I realize the 500 bones it would take just to get started with a 360 and one game could be used on a lot better discretionary things, such as a new DVD player, down payment on a new road bike, new hockey skates, new skis, boots and bindings, money toward an LCD HDTV for the family room, etc., etc.

We shall see, but for now I'm leaning toward a 360. Still, the wind may blow me another way tomorrow, and I may decide to shell out $50 to get a replacement drive for the Xbox and then ride it for a few years and then get out. So far no one has wanted any of my games and accessories.

The price of poker with the latest generation is just so damn high for what you get in return, and honestly I'm not seeing anything right now that justifies that price. Maybe that will change later this year, but the endless stream of sequels and rehashes with emphasis on graphics over gameplay for all existing consoles now is just damn depressing.

Another wacked-out thought crossed my mind last night, too: Buy a new Dreamcast on eBay -- they're out there -- and about 10 games. Would probably cost me around $100-150.

Then I would just become a retro gamer and be done with it. I'm getting weary of the endless cycle of new consoles, the churn of buying new games and selling them within a month, etc., etc. I'm coming to the realization that having inexpensive fun is more important than dancing on the cutting edge, and the DC delivered pure, sugar-coated fun in spades.

To this day, I had more fun with a DC than any other console I ever owned. My gaming library was larger and more diverse with that system than any other. I thought of at least 10 games on that system last night that simply can't be replicated on any existing system, titles that were insanely fun.

Time will tell. I'm in no hurry unless a great opportunity presents itself.

Good luck to you, man. Stay in touch, here and via PM.

Take care,
PK

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

"Lighten up Frances! " :D

Sport73 wrote:PK without an XBox is like a Foot without a big toe...

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

"sorry for your loss" (playing taps.....)

I will always remember those great nights of racing with TOCA 2 and also my "watershed" game on "Rivals" :D

p.s. pm me with how much you want for the Action Replay.

"fade into a scene......a small suburban town".....

ProvoAnC
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ProvoAnC »

pk500 wrote:
How 'bout me taking you to school in TOCA3? That's some learning that's worth fixing your gayblade xbox.

You're probably right, with the amount of cack that enters your ass on a daily basis and your nightly trips to The Manhole, I'm surprised you have time to even eat, much less play xbox
I have a new gamertag Provo 4569

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

ProvoAnC wrote:
pk500 wrote:
How 'bout me taking you to school in TOCA3? That's some learning that's worth fixing your gayblade xbox.

You're probably right, with the amount of cack that enters your ass on a daily basis and your nightly trips to The Manhole, I'm surprised you have time to even eat, much less play xbox
:lol:

Kissing Cousins?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

ProvoAnC wrote:
pk500 wrote:

The only thing missing from this message, cuz, is your standard farewell:

"Hugs and f*cks,
Cornholio"

Take care,
PK

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

i can really understand where you guys are coming from.. i had all "the latest" systems (at the time) & am now only down to the xbox.. sometimes to me turning the xbox on seems to be a "chore".. while i dont think i will get to the point of giving up the box, it seems that i to have drifted into "other areas" of life (and now talking the "e" word with my girlfriend makes the income a little tighter).. this is also causing some "second thoughs" on the 360, because really paying $60 a game is a little tough...

...to those "remaining old-time xboxer's" still left, i hope to catch ya again with some Toca (& the occasional OF)...