Kaput Xbox update: Get out the fork

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Dimmu
Mario Mendoza

Post by Dimmu »

PK,

After a quick look on ebay, it appears that you can get a Samsung replacement for around $45 including shipping.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

$45? Where did you look? I've been on eBay like a cheap suit on a used car salesman for the last four days, and all of the Sammy's are going for $50+.

There are <b>unmodified</b> Sammy's going in the $40s, but I don't have the skill, tools or time to modify a Samsung drive with the Xbox BIOS.

Thanks for looking out for me, though!

I'm actually pursuing another route besides the drive. Over lunch today, I started looking at used Xbox bundles after reading Piggy's suggestion to get a used Xbox.

There are some good prices for used Xbox bundles with a bunch of games on eBay right now. I figure I can get the bundle, sell the games and accessories that come with them and sell my busted Xbox for parts and possibly get a used Xbox in good shape for around $40 net out of my pocket.

That's my kind of deal. I'm checking it out and trying to get manufacture dates from sellers of some of these used Xboxes, as I DON'T want to buy another Thomson.

Thanks,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Dimmu
Mario Mendoza

Post by Dimmu »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the item but it sure looks like a plug and play into any xbox. I'm probably misreading it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Xbox-Samsung-SDG-60 ... dZViewItem

I'm so stupid, I'm not even sure that I can post a valid link.

Edit: Looks like it's over $50 now with shipping. I have an old box with a Thompson and never had any problems. Replaced it with the Halo Special Edition even though it worked fine.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dimmu:

Thanks for the link. I've had that one tracked in my eBay for a couple of days and will stay on it tonight.

The cat who is charging $39.99 to $45 for those Samsungs in bulk also is charging a ridiculous $19 for shipping, so it's not the great deal it appears to be on the surface. Nothing burns me more on eBay -- other than deadbeats -- than shipping gougers. I refuse to deal with them.

But thanks again for looking out!

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

pk500 wrote:Dimmu:

Thanks for the link. I've had that one tracked in my eBay for a couple of days and will stay on it tonight.

The cat who is charging $39.99 to $45 for those Samsungs in bulk also is charging a ridiculous $19 for shipping, so it's not the great deal it appears to be on the surface. Nothing burns me more on eBay -- other than deadbeats -- than shipping gougers. I refuse to deal with them.

But thanks again for looking out!

Take care,
PK
Whew!!!!! You had me worried there for a minute pk. I thought I would be the only one not crossing to the darkside yet.
gamertag: ddtrane65

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Well, you f*ckers, looks like I'm back in the Xbox business: I won an eBay auction for a Samsung drive for $60, including shipping, tonight.

I hope to be back in the world of Xbox in time for the release of WE 9 next week.

:)

Take care,
PK

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Woohooo!!!!!

It better work!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

pigpen81 wrote:Woohooo!!!!!

It better work!
I hope so, too! I had pre-sale communications with the guy, so I'm pretty confident.

If it's a dud, then I'll sell it and my busted Xbox for parts and recoup nearly all of my investment. I checked prices on eBay for busted drives and consoles before bidding just to ensure I could recoup something if needed.

Yep, I'm tight. :)

Take care,
PK

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

My god. It's almost as if you XBox clingers prefer PLAYING good games than having the most powerful console available... ;)

360 new smell wearing off...Missing MVP...Awaiting other releases...Still contend that full Backwards Compatibility is umiportant, but simultaneously wish I hadn't given my XBox to my neighbor. Fight Night, GR:AW, College Hoops in 360 beauty soon to make all right in the world again.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

Airdog wrote: I predict that you'll be back sooner than you say though.
:wink:
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Airdog wrote:
Nice call, Nostradamus. :)

What can I say? I miss the thing more than I thought. And the pull of TOCA 3 and WE 9 is much too strong to resist and much greater than any desire to get a 360 now.

The best soccer game and best racing game on any console are coming within the next month only on the good, old-fashioned Xbox. Hello, replacement drive! :)

Take care,
PK

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
Airdog wrote:
Nice call, Nostradamus. :)

What can I say? I miss the thing more than I thought. And the pull of TOCA 3 and WE 9 is much too strong to resist and much greater than any desire to get a 360 now.

The best soccer game and best racing game on any console are coming within the next month only on the good, old-fashioned Xbox. Hello, replacement drive! :)

Take care,
PK
And I have actually contemplated getting another Xbox for that reason as well...but alas, I just imported PES 5 for my PC to get me by. 45 bucks compared to 200+...but damn do I wish I could play Arena Football and College Baseball. Oh well.

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

I must one day break down and pick up a Winning Eleven title.
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Yep, DB, you're in a good position for most games because you have a 360 and a top-end PC rig. So you're covered for almost everything.

I'm slummin' with an Xbox for my four games of choice -- only one of which is available for the 360 (NHL 2K6) -- and a laptop for Football Manager 2006, and I'm cool with that.

Speaking of FM 2006, there's my Newcastle United team calling my name right now. Time to fire it up! :)

Take care,
PK
Last edited by pk500 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Airdog wrote:I must one day break down and pick up a Winning Eleven title.
Do it, dude. Even if you don't like footie, the realism is amazing. Plus WE 9 and TOCA 3 probably are going to be the Xbox's last hurrah for Xbox Live among DSP dudes, but what a finale it will be.

Take care,
PK

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:Yep, DB, you're in a good position for most games because you have a 360 and a top-end PC rig. So you're covered for almost everything.
Yeah, except for Arena Football and College Baseball...but then again, I'm trying to SAVE money right now. Some day I hope to be able to afford a house in California. Eeesh.

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

now i can breathe again.. welcome back to the "old school" pk.. besides WE9, Toca's also around the corner too!!!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
pk500 wrote:Yep, DB, you're in a good position for most games because you have a 360 and a top-end PC rig. So you're covered for almost everything.
Yeah, except for Arena Football and College Baseball...but then again, I'm trying to SAVE money right now. Some day I hope to be able to afford a house in California. Eeesh.
No doubt. The frau and I were watching "House Hunters" last night on HGTV, and a house that would have sold for about $250,000 around here in the 'Cuse sold in NorCal for <b>$1.1 million.</b>

I have no f*cking clue how you guys do it.

Take care,
PK
Last edited by pk500 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

hulkster29 wrote:now i can breathe again.. welcome back to the "old school" pk.. besides WE9, Toca's also around the corner too!!!
Yep, I'll be back on XBL soon, filthier than ever. I'm actually getting pretty charged up to return!

Take care,
PK

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

just watch out for trees!!!!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

hulkster29 wrote:just watch out for trees!!!!
Ha! No worries, there, man: I sold Flashpoint today. Needed the dough to fund the replacement drive and WE 9.

Take care,
PK

ProvoAnC
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ProvoAnC »

I can't wait to f***in destroy your cornholing b*tch move ass in TOCA3 :wink:
I have a new gamertag Provo 4569

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

ProvoAnC wrote:I can't wait to f***in destroy your cornholing b*tch move ass in TOCA3 :wink:
Kind of hard to destroy what you can't catch, cuz. Maybe I'll be placed toward the back of the grid on a random start, and then your dress-wearing, handbag-carrying gay blade ass might have a chance ... ;)

Take care,
PK

ProvoAnC
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ProvoAnC »

ITS ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!!!!!!!!!!
I have a new gamertag Provo 4569

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

pk500 wrote:Maybe I'll be placed toward the back of the grid on a random start, and then your dress-wearing, handbag-carrying gay blade ass might have a chance ... ;)
But then you'll spin out and claim that someone who was four car lengths back cornholed you, and we'll all be treated to a drunken PK yelling "you F*CKIN' HIT ME, you dick." One of the true highlights of a TOCA night. :)

Glad to hear you're back on board. I need to sell off some games to get some cash together for this one.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven