Any Boardgamers out there?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Any Boardgamers out there?

Post by Danimal »

<BLOWS DUST OFF THREAD>

Thought I would post on some recent new games I have played. Not sure how many board gamer's we still have here.

Star Wars Destiny - This is a collectible card / dice game from FFG. If you played any of the Dice Masters games it is like that but with IMO better / streamlines rules. There are 2 starters sets and then of course the collectible booster packs. I have both starters, mainly because it is impossible to find booster packs. My wife loves it, games take 15-20 minutes once you know how to play.

Adrenaline - This is a table top version of a death match shooter. It's load of fun and the scoring system makes it so killing the same person over and over is not to your advantage. Needs at least 3, more likely 4 players. You can use bots but not as good.

Black Orchestra - coop game where you are part of the various groups out to kill Hitler. Really good theme and mechanics. Only played this weekend with just the wife and we won, easily. I think that was more luck than anything but too early to tell.

Bloodborne Card Game - This is easily my favorite game of the last 6 months. Plays in 30-60 minutes and one of the most streamlined deck builders out there. Can't recommend this game enough. Another one that needs 3.

Qwixx Deluxe - Really fast dice game, great for kids and casual gamers. Great party game.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Dudes on a board 4 vs 1. I'm a big turtle fan so I may be biased on this one. Thing that sets it apart is the turtles can share action dice.

I've acquired so many new games this last year that I'm sure if you ask I can give you impressions on almost anything.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Danimal wrote:I've acquired so many new games this last year that I'm sure if you ask I can give you impressions on almost anything.
Me too! In the last year I've purchased around 2 a month (bought Hero Realms today) and made 10 trades on BGG. I took advantage of at least 4 B2G1 at Target.com with prices on those games close to Amazon to help build my collection. Getting a 10% pre-order discount and 10% credit back after 6 purchases at my FLGS helps too.

Right now I've got A Feast for Odin (my wife's favorite game and high on my list), Terraforming Mars, Arkham Horror The Card Game, and Great Western Trail in heavy rotation. Need to find more time for Scythe and also try Navajo Wars, which I recently traded for. Just started Pandemic Legacy with my son.

I can tell it's an addiction because for the first time I've: rebought a previously traded game (Viticulture Essential Edition...had traded it for Orleans and then bought it again a few months later this time with the Tuscany expansion) and sold a game without ever playing it (Dead of Winter...received in a good trade offer and then sold it off). I can say that I at least don't have any still in shrink and only a handful unplayed.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I've been all in on board games the past couple of years as well. I'm webdanzer over on BGG as well if anyone wants to friend me up. Post your BGG username here! :)

I *LOVE* Great Western Trail. Definitely my favorite 2016 game. Others I've been playing and digging within the last couple of months:

A Feast for Odin
Blood Bowl (2016 release)
Manhattan Project: Energy Empire
Adrenaline
Santorini
Glass Road
Arboretum
Inis
Barony
Oracle of Delphi
Klask
Jorvik

Only played Terraforming Mars once, but want to play more.

Happy Salmon was a fun time New year's Eve. :)

Also, if any of you play on boardgamearena, I'm webdanzer there too, and am always up for a Tash Kalar match or a game of Troyes or Keyflower. (Or almost anything else)

Great time to be a boardgamer.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Leebo33 wrote: Me too! In the last year I've purchased around 2 a month (bought Hero Realms today) and made 10 trades on BGG.
I'm curious on both Hero Realms as I own Star Realms but haven'r played it in like 2 years and also the Arkham LCG. Any details would be appreciated.

My BGG handle is dspezzano Web.
Follow Me on:

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Leebo33 wrote:Just started Pandemic Legacy with my son.
I'm really curious to hear how this goes for you. I'm itching to play this but it would only be my girlfriend and I playing, and I'm concerned it would fall a little flat with fewer than at least three players. We really enjoy the original Pandemic, but it's so much better when we can get a third or a fourth to join us than with just two.

I am barely a dabbler compared to you guys, but I love board games. I just don't have the space in my small Brooklyn apartment to gather too much of a collection. :D I did get Friday, a single player card game, to keep me occupied over Christmas and I've really enjoyed it, but honestly I haven't bought anything new in a while. I'd love to get Inis and Terraforming Mars intrigues me a lot, but with two-player only being the reliable option I don't see myself buying it.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'm a dude who was raised on APBA and Strat-O-Matic tabletop sports board games, so I'm always on the lookout for good sports board games.

Found this one a few years ago that's a real gem: Legends of Boxing

http://legendsofboxing.tabletop-sports.com/lob_home.htm

LOB allows you to match fighters from a database of hundreds of greats in all weight classes from the 1890s to 1990s. Statistically accurate, very fun.

And it's FREE! I love it. Have conducted some eight-fighter tournaments in various weight classes, too.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Zeppo wrote:I'm really curious to hear how this goes for you. I'm itching to play this but it would only be my girlfriend and I playing, and I'm concerned it would fall a little flat with fewer than at least three players. We really enjoy the original Pandemic, but it's so much better when we can get a third or a fourth to join us than with just two.

I am barely a dabbler compared to you guys, but I love board games. I just don't have the space in my small Brooklyn apartment to gather too much of a collection. :D I did get Friday, a single player card game, to keep me occupied over Christmas and I've really enjoyed it, but honestly I haven't bought anything new in a while. I'd love to get Inis and Terraforming Mars intrigues me a lot, but with two-player only being the reliable option I don't see myself buying it.
Zep I played this one exclusively with just my wife and it was fine. Actually that's not entirely true, we started with a 3rd player but she only visits once a month and we wanted to keep playing so I just played 2 roles. However i think it would be fine with just 2, it's hard to talk about this and not spoil it.

On the other hand Seafall which is the same type of game is not good with 2, so I'm in the spot of playing this rarely and frankly with these Legacy game you can forget the special rules and it become a pain in the ass.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Pk I just picked up this game that might be up your alley. Flamme Rogue is a really good game about bicycle racing or so I'm told will be playing it this weekend.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/199478/flamme-rouge
Follow Me on:

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Danimal wrote:Pk I just picked up this game that might be up your alley. Flamme Rogue is a really good game about bicycle racing or so I'm told will be playing it this weekend.

It's been on and off my buy list for the last couple of weeks. Let me know what you think. It seems to be a simple game with some neat strategic choices, but I'm wondering if it will get old quickly.

Zepp, I know you mentioned 2p concern with Terraforming Mars, but Inis works very well at only 2p.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:Pk I just picked up this game that might be up your alley. Flamme Rogue is a really good game about bicycle racing or so I'm told will be playing it this weekend.

I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I geekbuddied you, Dan! :)

Got to play Covert for the first time yesterday. Pretty fun multi-channel efficiency pathing. You have to find fastest path to chaining missions in a SEA of options. Fun, but AP'ers beware.

Other BGG users here please post or send me your user names. I'm planning on having a HUGE auction around March (a couple of hundred games) and I'll give my buddies first crack at buy or trade.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

Just got into Board Games a few months ago myself. I just wish I had more people to play with. My GF likes playing some of the games but she gets frustrated way too easily if she isn't understanding rules really quick...and she's a sore loser :lol: . I have some friends who are willing to play occasionally but organizing a game night is somewhat of an undertaking. I would be buying them at a much higher rate if I had friends who were more enthusiastic about playing.
BGG username: LAKingsGeek

My collection so far:

Codenames
Dominion
Freedom: The Underground Railroad (have not even played this one yet, not the most uplifting theme)
Friday (Solo)
Jaipur
Letters From Whitechapel (only played once, i seem to be the only person who really wants to play this)
Mansions of Madness: 2nd Edition (People seem to like this one but it can be loooong and rule heavy, also have Suppressed Memories Expansion)
Memoir '44
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective (Easiest sell for non-gamers, everyone ends up enjoying it)
Star Wars: Rebellion (really enjoy this one)
Sushi Go Party (got it because i knew friends would enjoy the theme, but overall it's just mediocre IMO)
Zulus on the Ramparts (solo game)

It all started because my GF and I bought Jaipur and Dominion as fun time killers when we went on a two week National Parks camping road trip last year. We needed something to do at our campsites. It has since turned into yet another one of my little obsessions. I learned that I'm generally not a fan of deck building games like Dominion. It's just pure number crunching and the theme is tacked on. Jaipur was alright. I liked it because there seemed to be more opportunity to affect your opponent with your own actions. That's also why my GF didn't enjoy it. I beat her every time because my mind is more attuned to strategy than hers.

Star Wars: Rebellion is my kind of game. Grand strategy but not overly complex like a realistic war game.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Anyone here still play board war games like those sims produced in the 70s by Avalon Hill, SPI and GDW? I played a ton of those games in the mid- to late 70s and early 80s and always ponder about returning to that hobby.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:Anyone here still play board war games like those sims produced in the 70s by Avalon Hill, SPI and GDW? I played a ton of those games in the mid- to late 70s and early 80s and always ponder about returning to that hobby.
I do play the Panzer General and Art of War hex games on the computer. Not sure if they can be classified as boardgames.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

pk500 wrote:Anyone here still play board war games like those sims produced in the 70s by Avalon Hill, SPI and GDW? I played a ton of those games in the mid- to late 70s and early 80s and always ponder about returning to that hobby.
I would say 1/3rd of my collection are "war games" things have changed a bit since the AH days but you still have those types. The best publisher for these type of game is GMT http://www.gmtgames.com/ They have a tremendous amount of games and I own plenty.

What type of era are you looking for and I can give better suggestions. I do like the COIN series a lot from GMT but that is not your typical hex and counter game. Also the entire Band of Brother series from Worthington games is also great.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Rodster wrote:I do play the Panzer General and Art of War hex games on the computer. Not sure if they can be classified as boardgames.
Not sure? They are on the PC thus not a board game. LOL
Follow Me on:

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

I have probably 120+ wargames and normally play 3 game nights per week. Be interested as well as Danimal if you're interested in a particular era. I predominantly play using skype and Vassal that permits live play over the internet with a full reproduction of the game graphics in real time. I'd echo Danimal's recommendation of Band of Brothers which is a tactical squad level game. I play pretty much the entire spectrum of game scale ranging from tactical to strategic although most of my gaming is operational (divisions) gaming.

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

3 Nights a week that is awesome. I've tried many times to play games via Vassal but that program is just s*** IMO. I know it's not good to talk bad about the "board game king Tom Vassal" but I wish someone did a better version.

I've looked on tabletop simulator (although not in some time) for version of these type of games. Combat Commander is another favorite of mine and one i wish GMT had put a digital version of out.

I actually have extra copies of 2 of the Band of Brother games because I kick started the new versions. I should give them away to someone.
Follow Me on:

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Danimal wrote:3 Nights a week that is awesome. I've tried many times to play games via Vassal but that program is just s*** IMO. I know it's not good to talk bad about the "board game king Tom Vassal" but I wish someone did a better version.

I've looked on tabletop simulator (although not in some time) for version of these type of games. Combat Commander is another favorite of mine and one i wish GMT had put a digital version of out.

I actually have extra copies of 2 of the Band of Brother games because I kick started the new versions. I should give them away to someone.
I had some help with Vassal from another guy when I first started out and that was a godsend. The wargaming community is terrific and there a lot of people who give freely of their own time. I've gotten to the point now where I've actually created some Vassal modules myself - the are a few designers who really do put together some good interfaces and help documentation which I think is often the issue that causes players the most problems with Vassal.

Let me know if you'd be interested some time in trying Vassal again and I'd be happy to skype and help.

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

dougb wrote: Let me know if you'd be interested some time in trying Vassal again and I'd be happy to skype and help.
Doug
I would for sure, what type of games do you like on their?
Follow Me on:

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

dougb wrote:
I have probably 120+ wargames and normally play 3 game nights per week. Be interested as well as Danimal if you're interested in a particular era. I predominantly play using skype and Vassal that permits live play over the internet with a full reproduction of the game graphics in real time. I'd echo Danimal's recommendation of Band of Brothers which is a tactical squad level game. I play pretty much the entire spectrum of game scale ranging from tactical to strategic although most of my gaming is operational (divisions) gaming.

Doug
I have about 50 AH and SPI games in may attic that I played extensively in the late 70s. Closest I came returning to that hobby was trying Operation Art of War series on PC a while back.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:
I would say 1/3rd of my collection are "war games" things have changed a bit since the AH days but you still have those types. The best publisher for these type of game is GMT http://www.gmtgames.com/ They have a tremendous amount of games and I own plenty.

What type of era are you looking for and I can give better suggestions. I do like the COIN series a lot from GMT but that is not your typical hex and counter game. Also the entire Band of Brother series from Worthington games is also great.
Thanks, Dan. I'll dig into that link and your Band of Brothers tip and let you know what I seek.

My primary eras of focus when I was really into the hobby were the American Civil War and World War II. Some of the titles I played a lot included:

The Russian Campaign (AH, WW II)
Squad Leader (AH, WW II)
Gettysburg (AH)
A House Divided (GDW, Civil War)
The Arab-Israeli Wars (AH, based on Panzer Blitz)
Panzer Leader (AH, WW II)
Civil War (AH)
Victory in the Pacific (AH, WW II)
Third Reich (AH, WW II)
Jutland (AH, WW I)
Luftwaffe (AH, WW II)
1776 (AH, Revolutionary War)
Veracruz (SPI, Mexican War)
Guns of August (AH, WW I)

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

BTW I'm CP Zeppo on GameBoardGeek. My collection is weak sauce :(

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Danimal wrote:
dougb wrote: Let me know if you'd be interested some time in trying Vassal again and I'd be happy to skype and help.
Doug
I would for sure, what type of games do you like on their?
Be happy to play a game of Band of Brothers. I'll be out of town for a couple of weeks but how about when I get back beginning of February? If there's another game you'd prefer or one that you'd like to but the Vassal mods a bit tricky let me know. Some Vassal mods are really good and actually are easier to play than the actual board game because of features that have been implemented in the game module.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

pk500 wrote:
Danimal wrote:

Thanks, Dan. I'll dig into that link and your Band of Brothers tip and let you know what I seek.

My primary eras of focus when I was really into the hobby were the American Civil War and World War II. Some of the titles I played a lot included:

The Russian Campaign (AH, WW II)
Squad Leader (AH, WW II)
Gettysburg (AH)
A House Divided (GDW, Civil War)
The Arab-Israeli Wars (AH, based on Panzer Blitz)
Panzer Leader (AH, WW II)
Civil War (AH)
Victory in the Pacific (AH, WW II)
Third Reich (AH, WW II)
Jutland (AH, WW I)
Luftwaffe (AH, WW II)
1776 (AH, Revolutionary War)
Veracruz (SPI, Mexican War)
Guns of August (AH, WW I)
That's a neat collection - Civil War was actually the Victory Games division that published it. I really enjoyed Victory in the Pacific as well - simple, fun game. There are a lot of games now that have advanced significantly from the classics but those had playability in spades. I really love the ability to play out history and get some insight into why things may have happened the way they did.

Doug