Any Boardgamers out there?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Any Boardgamers out there?

Post by Danimal »

That kick starter was a colossal f*** up and I wonder if those are the reasons why or just some BS excuses from a person who didn't know what they were doing.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Danimal wrote: Scoop we'll have to get together for some X-wing sometime.
I haven't used any of the online board-gaming platforms, but is there one suitable for X-Wing? Might be fun to run a DSP battle.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Danimal wrote:Scoop we'll have to get together for some X-wing sometime.
That would be cool. Definitely.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

webdanzer wrote:
Danimal wrote: Scoop we'll have to get together for some X-wing sometime.
I haven't used any of the online board-gaming platforms, but is there one suitable for X-Wing? Might be fun to run a DSP battle.
Vassal for the game board and pieces and Skype for voice. That's what I use for board war gaming.

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I confess to being somewhat out of control with my purchases lately, but MAN, there have been so many good games released over the last bunch of years when I was not in the market.

A local gamestore had Dungeon Petz at 50% off just this week and so I grabbed that after reading some reviews. What a steal, and a great game!!!

Vlaada Chvatil may be my favorite designer. So many of his titles just work for me. I've been holding off on Mage Knight because of all the comments that it is a long, fiddly game, but I may just have to go for it given my enjoyment of some of his other titles. (Galaxy Trucker, Dungeon Petz, Space Alert(the last via G7! :) )

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

webdanzer wrote:Vlaada Chvatil may be my favorite designer. So many of his titles just work for me. I've been holding off on Mage Knight because of all the comments that it is a long, fiddly game, but I may just have to go for it given my enjoyment of some of his other titles. (Galaxy Trucker, Dungeon Petz, Space Alert(the last via G7! :) )
I'm going to tell you two things about Mage Knight.

1. yes it is long because teaching people how to play is a b*tch. In fact I no longer teach people. I tell them to read the rules before hand and if they don't we don't play. Like any game if you have a regular group and get this to the table once a month then its a non issue.

2. It's a fantastic game solo. I mean fantastic. I know this sounds odd but playing this game solo is my preferred way to play. If you have any interest in playing this way do not pass on this game.
Follow Me on:

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Danimal wrote:
webdanzer wrote:Vlaada Chvatil may be my favorite designer. So many of his titles just work for me. I've been holding off on Mage Knight because of all the comments that it is a long, fiddly game, but I may just have to go for it given my enjoyment of some of his other titles. (Galaxy Trucker, Dungeon Petz, Space Alert(the last via G7! :) )
I'm going to tell you two things about Mage Knight.

1. yes it is long because teaching people how to play is a b*tch. In fact I no longer teach people. I tell them to read the rules before hand and if they don't we don't play. Like any game if you have a regular group and get this to the table once a month then its a non issue.

2. It's a fantastic game solo. I mean fantastic. I know this sounds odd but playing this game solo is my preferred way to play. If you have any interest in playing this way do not pass on this game.
Most of my gaming is done with my 10 year old son, two player. I haven't pushed him with anything crazy complex yet, but he can handle the 13+ games without issue. Other than that, I actually play solo more than with a game group, for two reasons:

1) I like 'going through' a game by myself before breaking it out in a group, as I feel it helps to facilitate first play
2)It's getting Damn hard to get a group together! Bunch of 40 year old dads have a hard time making time

(these are the main reasons why I didn't volunteer to test your game, too, Dan. Sounds interesting, but I couldn't promise you many 3+ player plays)

Sounds like MK would work for me, though. Probably my next target. Thanks!

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

dougb wrote:
Vassal for the game board and pieces and Skype for voice. That's what I use for board war gaming.

Doug
Thanks! I need to look into Vassal more than I have.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I just ordered Metro 2033 (no idea why) the new Hobbit game and the new Legendary expansion.

Nevermind I have about 15 unopened new games sitting here.

Anyone want to start a Chocago based gaming group? :)
Follow Me on:

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Danimal wrote:I just ordered Metro 2033 (no idea why) the new Hobbit game and the new Legendary expansion.

Nevermind I have about 15 unopened new games sitting here.

Anyone want to start a Chocago based gaming group? :)
Dan, what have you heard about Metro? Seems like there is very little (English) info on it. If anything, you could use it for research for the game you are developing.

You don't like any of the online play facilitators, huh? I'd be willing to try some internet boardgaming if something suited.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I'm not a fan of Vassal the software or the guy. However I'll keep it to the software. :)

Each Vassal module is different so it depends how well it is implemented. The whole UI is an utter mess. If I had the time and money I could use my programmers and make something much better. Now I know there are other system out there that are better but have far fewer options.

Idk I tired vassal a few times because it seems to be the only way I can get games like Fading Glory, Band of Brothers or Combat Commander played but I just get so frustrated with the interface I usually quit.

As for Metro your assessment is the main reason I did order it. So I could do a review :)
Follow Me on:

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I did use a Father's Day gift certificate to order Mage Knight. Now I worry:

1)I'll look at the instructions and my eyes will glaze over, and the game will languish, unpunched, unplayed, unloved.

2)"Where's Dad?" "He's in the basement, kids, still playing That Game."

:lol:

Also grabbed Hanabi.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Picking up my copy of Robinson Crusoe today! Glad I was able to snag one, as the first Z-Man print seems to be going fast. Really looking to give this one a shot.

Also grabbed a copy of Battle Line, which has proven to be a great 2p game for me and my son, along with Jaipur.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Anyone else going to GenCon?
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

GenCon Haul

New X-wing wave 3 ships
Attack Wing - Star Trek X-wing basically
Pathfinder adventure card game
Dungeon Twister Card Game
FireFly board game
Lost Legends (queen games)
New Descent Expansion
Follow Me on:

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Ghost Stories is free for iPad right now. Very cool and challenging cooperative game.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

From another thread:
Danimal wrote: Sorry I was at the BGG Con for a week....
So whatdja get, whatdja get??!! :)

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I picked up the following games. Before I get to that let me say that BGG Con is a must for any board gamer. In fact I think I will never go to Gen Con again unless required. BGG Con is not about a huge vendor area and early games. It's about playing games and having meaningful conversations with designer and publishers.

I learned more in my days at this Con then I learned at every Gen Con. I played new games with designers, played a dozen prototypes and late night just played silly games with people. At one point I was playing Bugs in the Kitchen and Pix with the Mayfair guys and the guy who made the Pathfinder card game. I played Asmodee's WIP concept with the guys who made it etc, etc.

Anyway
Island Fortress (free door prize)
Pressure Point (free door prize)
Underground Railroad
Pandemic Expansion
Schlock Mercenary: Capital Offensive
The Walking Dead - The Best Defense (NewArrival)
Krosmaster: Arena
Dungeon Raiders
Attraction (awesome magnet game)
Follow Me on:

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Danimal wrote: Island Fortress (free door prize)
Underground Railroad
Pandemic Expansion
Dungeon Raiders
Will you be reviewing these? If not, let me know what you think of Krosmaster. I have it. Great looking, and fun to play with my kids, but just missing something that makes me excited to pull it out more than once in a while.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

webdanzer wrote:
Danimal wrote: Island Fortress (free door prize)
Underground Railroad
Pandemic Expansion
Dungeon Raiders
Will you be reviewing these? If not, let me know what you think of Krosmaster. I have it. Great looking, and fun to play with my kids, but just missing something that makes me excited to pull it out more than once in a while.
Yes I will eventually. As for Krosmaster I bought it for the sole purpose of playing with my kids. I really have no plans of buying the add on packs for $20 a pop or supporting the expansions kick starter.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Reviving an old thread. Thanks to the mistake of an online retailer I ordered 2 copies of Star Realms which is a card game like magic, just not a CCG and they sent me 2 cases, each case contains 6 copies of the game. A single copy goes for $10-15 depending upon where you buy it. So for $20 I got $120-$150 worth of product.

1 copy of the game is enough for 2 people to play. If anyone is interested in purchasing a copy or copies send me a PM and we can work something out.
Follow Me on:

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Dan, I really enjoyed your review of Thunder Alley. It was in transit when I read it and it just made me anticipate the game even more. Well, it hasn't disappointed in the least. My boys (almost 10 and 11.5) along with one of their friends just can't get enough. I actually have to say no when it gets too late to start a game and the disappointment in their faces and voices is measurable. That's amazing in the Minecraft era. I also picked up Star Realms earlier in the summer and it is also great and so portable...we played it to kill some time on the Cape May-Lewes Ferry. Several people came up to us and commented how great it was that the kids were playing games and didn't just have their heads buried in a phone/tablet. Of course, the iOS app just came out recently too. :D

This is one of my favorite threads.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Thanks I appreciate it. Thunder Alley is one of my favorites. I would bet Pk would love it.

I came back from Gen Con with a crap load of new stuff. I should start pumping out new reviews this week.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So I played through several of my games from Gen Con and before. I have a stack of 19 games still in shrink wrap right now but just quick impressions for those who care, should be doing reviews soon.

ShadowRun Cross Fire - Co-operative card game which is pretty fun. Easy to play and has that crazy Shadowrun feel. You do mark up your character cards with stickers but they give you some extras and I bought the expansion pack with stickers which will allow me to play this game for a long time. Downside is there are only 3 missions which you replay.

Golem Arcana - I literally can't stop playing this, review tomorrow or the next day. It's a boardgame that uses a tablet app for the rules and other things. It comes with 6 painted miniatures and a custom stylus for using with the game. The tech is incredible and my family loves it. Not for everyone I'm sure but man I like it.

Heroes Wanted - Just came in from kickstarter. A Game where you create a hero then complete missions trying to acquire more fame then the other wannabe heroes. This game has the right mix of humor and strategy to make it a fun game to play with friends.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Shameless pimp of my latest review but if you like X-com this board game might be up your alley.

http://maximumpixelation.com/2014/09/09 ... defenders/
Follow Me on: