Any Boardgamers out there?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Any Boardgamers out there?

Post by webdanzer »

RallyMonkey wrote:Web and Dan,

My daughters (12 and 10) love to play games, but a long learning curve may lose them. I'm tired of playing the usual suspects and was looking for suggestions. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Hi Rally,

Here's a few that have proved to be popular with my sons, 10 & 8:

Forbidden Island: Race around a sinking island to collect 4 elemental-themed treasures. Plays simply and similarly to the popular Pandemic. Also a co-op game, so there is no direct competition.

Hey, That's my fish!: Slide penguins around ice flows to catch the most fish. You leave melted ice from the hex tiles you leave, though, so you can trap and isolate the other players.

Ghost Blitz: This one is hard to explain, but it's good for agile minds and agile fingers. Flip a card, and from a group of 5 objects you have to either select the one that is pictured in it's correct color, or if none are pictured, select the item whose color and shape are *absent*. (after about 1 min of play, there is a *pop* and your brain gets it :) )

For Sale: An easy to learn and play bidding game where you buy 'properties' (ranging from a cardboard box and outhouse to skyscrapers and the space station) in a few rounds of bidding action and then turn around and see how much you can get from the market later, by secretly bidding on offers that come out on cards. VERY easy, and the kids always get a kick out of it.

Love Letter: Your girls might like the theme of this one: Suitors attempting to slip a love letter to the princess locked away in her castle. Great art, and a fun and simple card game. Your hand is one card, and on your turn you draw 1 additional card, play one, and keep the other. The goal is to end the round with the highest card, which represents the person in the castle most likely to pass your letter along. The play of the card allows you to force players to take a new card, peek at someone else's hand, guess at another player's card in an attempt to eliminate them, etc. Rounds are fast, and there is a real elegance to its simplistic style.

Snake Oil: I mentioned this as one of my favorite party games, and it works well with kids too. Each round one player draws a customer card. (Cheerleader, rock star, soldier, etc) The other players use 2 of a hand of 6 cards to come up with something wondrous to sell that particular customer, and then proceeds with about a 30 second sales pitch, explaining why the 'giggle grenade' is the best option for a soldier, or why the Witch needs Baby Handcuffs for her evil spells. Allows kids to be creative with the guidance and prompting of what is in their hands, so even the less creatively inclined can enjoy a pair of words that come together in their hands. Highly recommended!

EDIT: G7's choice is a good one, not mentioned on my list because my younger son doesn't like it. But that's another one fun for families and kids as well as traditional gamers.
Last edited by webdanzer on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

ScoopBrady wrote:Does anybody play any of the board game adaptations on iOS? I would definitely be interested in playing online with people. I have a lot of digital board games.
No iPad here yet, but I'd be up for some phone games. I *love* Neuroshima Hex!!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

webdanzer wrote:
Danimal wrote: I didn't realize we had so many X-wing players I have been working on a campaign for the game and could use some play testers.
Do we need to have your ship mix? 8O :lol:
You need 3 x-wings, 1 Y-wing and then 3 ties and 3 tie advanced technically. It also comes with print out "bigger ships" I should note if you're a stickler for scale and will find it odd to fight a Lance Frigate which is represent by a abstract cardboard token you will hate my campaign.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

I pretty much stick to board wargames for my boardgaming - although I do have the Lord of the Rings Card game and Star Trek: Fleet Captains.

Right now I've got a game called Normandy '44 that I'm prepping to play and I just finished a playtest game of Lincoln's War. My big area of interest is WWII on the Eastern Front so I have more than a few games at various levels (tactical, operational) covering the fighting on that front. I've recently started to get more interested in games on the American Civil War and likely will be playing None But Heroes (Antietam) in the next few months.

Interestingly while these are all boardgames I play them primarily using a program called vassal which allows on-line play with very close representations of the physical components. Using skype allows me to chat with my friends while we play. I've played people in Finland, Italy, the U.S., Canada, the U.K. and Australia.

It's so much fun that I don't play games on my PS3 much anymore, though I do pick up some pc wargames.

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Doug

Normandy 44 is great. I would also suggest trying Band of Brothers if you can get a copy. My favorite WW2 game right now but at a smaller scale. You and I should be playing games on vasal, problem is I hate vasal both the software and the guy. :)
Follow Me on:

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I like the Dice Tower quite a bit. They put LOTS of video reviews out quickly, and as long as you are aware of and account for the individual reviewer's biases and tastes, you get a reliable overview of the feel of each game, I think.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Speaking of WWII games, I rather like the aesthetic of this new KS for Heroes of Normandie. Unfortunately, the KS price is a little hard to justify for me right now.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Danimal wrote:Doug

Normandy 44 is great. I would also suggest trying Band of Brothers if you can get a copy. My favorite WW2 game right now but at a smaller scale. You and I should be playing games on vasal, problem is I hate vasal both the software and the guy. :)
I've got Band of Brothers but haven't had the chance the chance to play it yet. The other tactical game I've had fun with is Lock n Load - there's a PC game based on the board game coming out soon.

Have you tried tzun tzu? That's a pretty neat virtual boardgaming system - no pbem option so best with games that don't have an overwhelming number of counters. I played a 6 player team game of OCS Case Blue and Guderian's Blitzkrieg II over vassal and Skype - that was quite the blast.

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

webdanzer wrote:
RallyMonkey wrote:Web and Dan,

My daughters (12 and 10) love to play games, but a long learning curve may lose them. I'm tired of playing the usual suspects and was looking for suggestions. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Hi Rally,

Here's a few that have proved to be popular with my sons, 10 & 8:

Forbidden Island: Race around a sinking island to collect 4 elemental-themed treasures. Plays simply and similarly to the popular Pandemic. Also a co-op game, so there is no direct competition.

Hey, That's my fish!: Slide penguins around ice flows to catch the most fish. You leave melted ice from the hex tiles you leave, though, so you can trap and isolate the other players.

Ghost Blitz: This one is hard to explain, but it's good for agile minds and agile fingers. Flip a card, and from a group of 5 objects you have to either select the one that is pictured in it's correct color, or if none are pictured, select the item whose color and shape are *absent*. (after about 1 min of play, there is a *pop* and your brain gets it :) )

For Sale: An easy to learn and play bidding game where you buy 'properties' (ranging from a cardboard box and outhouse to skyscrapers and the space station) in a few rounds of bidding action and then turn around and see how much you can get from the market later, by secretly bidding on offers that come out on cards. VERY easy, and the kids always get a kick out of it.

Love Letter: Your girls might like the theme of this one: Suitors attempting to slip a love letter to the princess locked away in her castle. Great art, and a fun and simple card game. Your hand is one card, and on your turn you draw 1 additional card, play one, and keep the other. The goal is to end the round with the highest card, which represents the person in the castle most likely to pass your letter along. The play of the card allows you to force players to take a new card, peek at someone else's hand, guess at another player's card in an attempt to eliminate them, etc. Rounds are fast, and there is a real elegance to its simplistic style.

Snake Oil: I mentioned this as one of my favorite party games, and it works well with kids too. Each round one player draws a customer card. (Cheerleader, rock star, soldier, etc) The other players use 2 of a hand of 6 cards to come up with something wondrous to sell that particular customer, and then proceeds with about a 30 second sales pitch, explaining why the 'giggle grenade' is the best option for a soldier, or why the Witch needs Baby Handcuffs for her evil spells. Allows kids to be creative with the guidance and prompting of what is in their hands, so even the less creatively inclined can enjoy a pair of words that come together in their hands. Highly recommended!

EDIT: G7's choice is a good one, not mentioned on my list because my younger son doesn't like it. But that's another one fun for families and kids as well as traditional gamers.
Thanks a ton Web. Just did some research and every one of these look great. My wallet thanks you for lightening it up!

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Forbidden Island is popular with my 10-year-old daughter. It's also great to be able to play a game cooperatively with her. Another cool coop game is Pandemic.

Web, I have Neuroshima Hex for iOS but I warn you, I am not very good at it. If anybody wants to play Ascension, Summoner Wars, Le Havre, or Caylus let me know.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Hey Rally,

Sorry I missed your message somehow. My daughters a 8 and 10 so a little younger here are some games they like a lot. Web already hit some good ones

Take it or Leave It - A dice game. I actually like this one a lot as well http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/ ... r-leave-it

Mice & Mystics - Web may disagree but I think this game is well done. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/ ... nd-mystics

Ticket to Ride - Really a gateway game for anyone kids and adults http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/ ... et-to-ride

Shadows over Camelot Card game - I think this is better than the actual game http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/ ... -card-game

Mermaid Beach - Quick Card Game http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/ ... maid-beach
Follow Me on:

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Two more games my daughter enjoys are:

Zombie Dice: fun little dice game. It is a little pricey but there is a free iOS app that you can download to check it out to try before you buy the physical version. Good for quick play sessions. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/62871/zombie-dice

Fluxx: a card game that starts with two rules: draw one card and play one card. after that there are cards that change the rules as the game progresses so no game is the same. the goal of the game remains the same but the rules will change quite a bit. My daughter loves this one and there are a ton of different themes like Zombie, Martian, Pirate, Cthulu, etc. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/258/fluxx
I am a patient boy.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Danimal wrote:Hey Rally,

Sorry I missed your message somehow. My daughters a 8 and 10 so a little younger here are some games they like a lot. Web already hit some good ones

Take it or Leave It - A dice game. I actually like this one a lot as well http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/ ... r-leave-it

Mice & Mystics - Web may disagree but I think this game is well done. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/ ... nd-mystics

Ticket to Ride - Really a gateway game for anyone kids and adults http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/ ... et-to-ride

Shadows over Camelot Card game - I think this is better than the actual game http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/ ... -card-game

Mermaid Beach - Quick Card Game http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/ ... maid-beach
Thanks Dan. Man, great options as well. Really appreciate the help.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

ScoopBrady wrote:Two more games my daughter enjoys are:

Zombie Dice: fun little dice game. It is a little pricey but there is a free iOS app that you can download to check it out to try before you buy the physical version. Good for quick play sessions. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/62871/zombie-dice

Fluxx: a card game that starts with two rules: draw one card and play one card. after that there are cards that change the rules as the game progresses so no game is the same. the goal of the game remains the same but the rules will change quite a bit. My daughter loves this one and there are a ton of different themes like Zombie, Martian, Pirate, Cthulu, etc. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/258/fluxx
Thanks Scoop. Appreciate it.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

My local game shop is having an auction tomorrow and I am pretty excited. I am hoping to score a good deal or two.
I am a patient boy.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

ScoopBrady wrote:My local game shop is having an auction tomorrow and I am pretty excited. I am hoping to score a good deal or two.
Cool. Do you know what is on the block already, or will you find out then?

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I know what's on the block and there is a bunch I am interested in.
I am a patient boy.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I ended up getting Android Netrunner with a couple of data packs. I was able to play some yesterday. Wow! What a fun, fun, game.
I am a patient boy.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I'll give a Thumbs Up to 'Sewer Pirats', a game I played recently with my kids. Something neat about having your Snail pirate suck the opponent's rat out of the captain's chair while your Racoon stands guard, all to make sure you get the Catsup packet floating in the sewer, as it makes your recovered fast food fries all the more valuable!

Fun figures and easy to play, though some of the tactical options may be a little harder to grasp for younger minds. Reminds me a lot of Libertalia, actually, with the abilities of the crew members standing in for the crew cards. Even has a similar loot-claiming mechanism.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I should be getting some playable prototypes of a game I made in the next 4-6 weeks I am looking for some people who could help test it. You would need at least a group of 3 and it's more an old school game then a Euro. Play times have been 3 hours at this stage.

It's semi-cooperative, set in an apocalyptic world. You control a character who grew up in a bunker built to survive an E.L.E. that decimated earth. You choose 3 characters to join you as your team is sent out to retrieve supplies to keep the bunker functioning. Thus each player will have his main characters and 3 supporting team members.

Each players main character will have a secret agenda which if he can fulfill he can announce and win the game for himself. If any or all players get the needed supplies back to the bunker in time, they can win the game as a group with a "winner" being determined by supplies retrieved.

It's old school in the fact that secret agendas don't automatically win the game for a player. They are announced and will usually draw aggressive responses from other teams. Also if you lose your main character you are out of the game.

There is a lot of exploration, random encounters and events, combat and diplomacy. One of my group compare it to a Magic Real type game.

If interest please PM me. Again these kits are not even close to final components. I will need people who can play twice and provide notes on what they like and don't like. I also need the kits back but will pay for shipping (US only) as i want to get as many eyes on this as possible to decided if I want to Kickstart this game or not.

My hope is to have one good test kit for GenCon to play some games there.
Follow Me on:

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I picked up and love Ascending Empires. A crazy 4x space game mixed with a dexterity flicker! You wouldn't think the combo works, but it is a lot of fun.

Dan, I also picked up Convoy (noticed your review). Haven't played it yet, but I like the Neuroshima world and also like the designer. Can't wait for his Robinson Crusoe to release stateside!

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I ended up getting X-Wing for Father's Day. My first dip into the world of miniatures. I really liked the brief time I had with it. I ended up getting The Legend of Drizzt a couple of weeks ago and that has proven to be a big hit with my daughter and me.
I am a patient boy.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

ScoopBrady wrote:I ended up getting X-Wing for Father's Day. My first dip into the world of miniatures. I really liked the brief time I had with it.
I got it a few weeks ago along with the Advanced Tie and Y Wing expansions...also my first dip. I've already purchased another core set and I'm thinking of adding a few more pieces. My two boys really like it as well.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Web hope you enjoy Convoy I like it. Scoop we'll have to get together for some X-wing sometime. I have only played with the Falcon and Slave one once. I'm interested to see what the Star Trek game plays like since they licensed the rules set from FFG but are making some changes.

I also really like the D&D adventure games. My wife and kids play them with me. The Drizzit one is my favorite by far. I've picked up the following games but haven't gotten to them yet.

Blood Bowl Expansion
Turrasic Terror actually have played this fun.
Relic which is Talisman in the 40k universe.
Finally the Spartacus expansion which I am super excited tto play since Spartacus is still one of my favorite games.
Follow Me on:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Scary tale that might interest board game aficionados here:

http://qz.com/94925/this-man-lost-his-h ... uccessful/
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425