OT: Anyone catch "Hustle" on AMC?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Anyone catch "Hustle" on AMC?

Post by pk500 »

Boys:

I'm a sucker for stylish crime flicks, such as "The Grifters," "The Usual Suspects," "L.A. Confidential" and the Bond films.

Along those lines, did anyone catch the U.S. premier of the BBC series "Hustle" last weekend on AMC? The first two episodes of the six-episode first season ran last Saturday night, with episodes three through six being shown on consecutive Saturday nights over the next month.

The series swirls around five con artists in London who specialize in high-class cons. Really good. Very well written, superb acting, including the excellent Robert Vaughn from "Man from U.N.C.L.E" fame, and very interesting plots and characters. Killer jazz soundtrack, too. Filmed on location in London.

You don't have to see the first two episodes to catch on, although the entire first season from the BBC is available on BitTorrent if you want to download the first two episodes to catch up.

Here's the AMC Web site for more details:

http://hustle.amctv.com/

Highly recommended if you're into this genre.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

TheMightyPuck
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: OT: Anyone catch "Hustle" on AMC?

Post by TheMightyPuck »

pk500 wrote:I'm a sucker for stylish crime flicks, such as "The Grifters," "The Usual Suspects," "L.A. Confidential" and the Bond films.
As much as I love all things Bond (well subtract anything between The Man With the Golden Gun and GoldenEye), this is a classic "one of these things doesn't belong here" list. Thanks for the heads up on Hustle. I'll check it out.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Yeah, Bond was ill-placed. Sorry. Bond is an action flick in a tuxedo, but I still like those movies!

Hope you dig "Hustle."

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

I think the concept of a group of con men is good and the casting was top notch. It's always good to see Robert Vaughn.

But I found the style to be pretentious and distracting. The slow motion walk toward the camera has been done to death. I was tempted to switch the first episode off when it went to freeze frame and the con men stepped out and addressed the camera directly. It's tired technique that belies basic problems in the writer/director's ability to tell a story.

The actress who plays Mickey's ex-wife is a stunner though