OT: NFL offseason thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

XXXIV wrote:
Every team that passes will be kicking themselves later...I remember when people made fun of the Barry sanders pick so early...tsk tsk tsk...Reggie is a once in a lifetime...Barring injury he will be one to remember...
I have to agree... while db is also right about the Texans and Saints needs (especially since you could probably plug me into a Kubiak-coached offense and I would get a 1,000 yards), I still think that this guy is once in a generation with the things he can do and you pass on him at your own risk.

I also hope Reggie knows what he's doing by not working out a deal... most sane humans don't knowingly put themselves at risk of being sent to the 'Aints....
"Whatever, I don't know why you even play yourself to that degree,
you laugh at me?" - Del

"Said the whisper to the secret..." - King's X

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

If I'm the Texans GM (and hey, I'm only a lobotomy away !), I'm thinking that this guy better get 200 tackles and 50 sacks next year, or every Texans fan is gonna be looking at Reggie Bush running wild, then looking at me and thinking just one thing..

"You stupid c**t"
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

I'll accept that the Texans looked hard at their choices. If they saw something more in Williams that Bush, it's their collective asses. But what I don't get is why they didn't at least try to leverage the #1 into Saturday AM. If things worked out their way, they could have ended up with their guy at a lower salary plus some extra red chips. Lord knows they need them.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Carr must feel like absolute s***. Bush would have really helped that whole Texan offense and now they just screwed him. For months he was probably thinking how he would be playing with Bush and how that would free the offense up for other things, but like a mtv punk'd episode, bush is gone from him in a flash.

Programmed2Kill
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by Programmed2Kill »

davet010 wrote:
"You stupid c**t"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now the draft is must-see TV today. Texans have some "grapefruits" to do this, especially when their fans really wanted Young in the first place. Now they pass over Reggie, too? Wow.

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

The Texan's offense was bad last year, but their defense was appallingly so. Switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 requires good defensive ends, and if they feel Williams is a every down player in a position where they had nothing, then it is a good pick. Domanick Davis is a solid if unspectacular back, so they drafted the best player that filled a huge need v. best player overall.

I also think this is a plus for rookie coach Kubiak. One of the reasons the Texans hired him was they believed the system he brings is a winning system. Bush and home-town favorite Young are not necessarily compatible with Kubiak's type of structure, and would have put Kubiak in the position of being judged by their success or failure as opposed to his own. If Bush was not a game-changer for the Texans, it would be Kubiak's fault not Reggie's, regardless of the actual truth of the matter.

I think it makes sense for the Texans. They are more than one special player from success, and Williams should be more than decent. In addition, if they were able to sign him for significantly less than Bush and can in turn pick up a few more players in free agency in the next couple of years, then it is a no-brainer.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

EZSnappin wrote:The Texan's offense was bad last year, but their defense was appallingly so. Switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 requires good defensive ends, and if they feel Williams is a every down player in a position where they had nothing, then it is a good pick. Domanick Davis is a solid if unspectacular back, so they drafted the best player that filled a huge need v. best player overall.

I also think this is a plus for rookie coach Kubiak. One of the reasons the Texans hired him was they believed the system he brings is a winning system. Bush and home-town favorite Young are not necessarily compatible with Kubiak's type of structure, and would have put Kubiak in the position of being judged by their success or failure as opposed to his own. If Bush was not a game-changer for the Texans, it would be Kubiak's fault not Reggie's, regardless of the actual truth of the matter.

I think it makes sense for the Texans. They are more than one special player from success, and Williams should be more than decent. In addition, if they were able to sign him for significantly less than Bush and can in turn pick up a few more players in free agency in the next couple of years, then it is a no-brainer.
As T-Car suggested,I can't believe that the Texans couldn't trade down,pay Williams 2 or 3 pick money and pick up another lower round pick. Some team would have jumped on that. Now they pay Mario 1st pick money,and hope to he!! he turns into Reggie White.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

EZSnappin wrote:I also think this is a plus for rookie coach Kubiak. One of the reasons the Texans hired him was they believed the system he brings is a winning system. Bush and home-town favorite Young are not necessarily compatible with Kubiak's type of structure, and would have put Kubiak in the position of being judged by their success or failure as opposed to his own. If Bush was not a game-changer for the Texans, it would be Kubiak's fault not Reggie's, regardless of the actual truth of the matter.

In addition, if they were able to sign him for significantly less than Bush and can in turn pick up a few more players in free agency in the next couple of years, then it is a no-brainer.
Fat Lenny doesn't like it and doesn't think money was an issue:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/c ... id=2426087

Kubiak could be the best offensive mind ever, but Carr can't complete too many passes from his *ss and failing to add one of the most-hyped offensive weapons ever won't exactly help keep Carr safe. Davis is a good back, but he's no Shaun Alexander or Edgerrin James.

Some explanations have said the Texans think this pick will make them more competitive within the AFC South. Williams might be a great pass rusher, but Reggie Bush lining up across from the Colts' suspect defense worries me more than Williams across from Tarik Glenn + help.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Programmed2Kill
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by Programmed2Kill »

Maybe Kubiak saw Reggie and the name 'Quentin Griffin' popped up.

Oops :twisted:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

EZSnappin wrote:The Texan's offense was bad last year, but their defense was appallingly so. Switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 requires good defensive ends, and if they feel Williams is a every down player in a position where they had nothing, then it is a good pick. Domanick Davis is a solid if unspectacular back, so they drafted the best player that filled a huge need v. best player overall.
They just signed a free agent def end before this. Did it ever occur to you that the Texans defense was not as bad as they looked when you consider that the Texans offense led the NFL in 3 and outs? I read somewhere that the Texans defense led the league in time on the field. Your best defense is a good offense.
EZSnappin wrote:I also think this is a plus for rookie coach Kubiak. One of the reasons the Texans hired him was they believed the system he brings is a winning system. Bush and home-town favorite Young are not necessarily compatible with Kubiak's type of structure, and would have put Kubiak in the position of being judged by their success or failure as opposed to his own. If Bush was not a game-changer for the Texans, it would be Kubiak's fault not Reggie's, regardless of the actual truth of the matter.
There is nothing good about passing on 3 of the top impact players (2 Heisman Trophy winners) who played in the past 3 National Championship games. There is NO justification for this pick in my mind. Charley Casserly needs to pack his bags for New York (NFL Head Office) asap. I am sure he can continue to make piss-poor choices for someone else.
EZSnappin wrote:I think it makes sense for the Texans. They are more than one special player from success, and Williams should be more than decent. In addition, if they were able to sign him for significantly less than Bush and can in turn pick up a few more players in free agency in the next couple of years, then it is a no-brainer.
I could not disagree more. If they knew they wanted Williams so badly, they should have traded down and picked up an additional pick or two later in the draft. The Texans just shot themselves in the foot with an M-16....

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I find it interesting that Williams didn't dominate early in the year but took over games later in the year that included Southern Miss, Central Florida, and Maryland.

Dwight Freeney fell to the Colts in part because of how Bryant McKinnie held him sack-less when the 'Cuse played Miami. Funny how times change.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

How much money did ESPN waste on that incredibly gay and useless intro to its NFL Draft show? It's a f*cking football draft, not a Vegas stage show. :roll:

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

pk500 wrote:How much money did ESPN waste on that incredibly gay and useless intro to its NFL Draft show? It's a f*cking football draft, not a Vegas stage show. :roll:
Yeah, I'm a huge football fan, but the whole thing is ridiculous. I'll do what I do every year and watch or listen while I do other things. I'm going outside now to mow and then wash the cars. It is fun to listen to the coverage while you do stuff like that, but I couldn't imagine sitting there for all the hyperbole and wild speculation.

CincyKid
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by CincyKid »

pk500 wrote:How much money did ESPN waste on that incredibly gay and useless intro to its NFL Draft show? It's a f*cking football draft, not a Vegas stage show. :roll:

Take care,
PK
this is why the nfl network is a better choice for draft day a little more buisness like not perfect but not as much pomp n circumstance

and i would take corey chavous over michael irvin every day of the week

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

Wow.. Leinart dropping hard... I could see him going to the Raiders now....

I can't see GB or SF drafting him.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I wish I could watch the NFL network, but here in TWC NY land, we don't get it. I hope they change that by football season, or I will be royally pissed about missing 8 games, one involving the Redskins. Of course, the NFL's offices are in NYC so I'm sure they will be applying some pressure. . .

Anyway, with Young going to Nashville it's official that McNair is done. Where is he going to end up?

CincyKid
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by CincyKid »

Zeppo wrote:I wish I could watch the NFL network, but here in TWC NY land, we don't get it. I hope they change that by football season, or I will be royally pissed about missing 8 games, one involving the Redskins. Of course, the NFL's offices are in NYC so I'm sure they will be applying some pressure. . .

Anyway, with Young going to Nashville it's official that McNair is done. Where is he going to end up?
zep we just got it right before last football season

love it for anything happening in the NFL

not to mention its my GO TO CHANNEL when nothing else is on tv

now if only there were a all mlb channel

CincyKid
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by CincyKid »

bdunn13 wrote:Wow.. Leinart dropping hard... I could see him going to the Raiders now....

I can't see GB or SF drafting him.
definatley leinert to oakland ...im 100% on my draft espn forecast so far for what its worth

lol :lol:

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Wow, the Raiders go for defense.

Have to think the Vikings are making some calls to move up and take a QB.

Tivo is great for the draft by the way. Just a nasty day outside so I'm alternating between innings of the Twins, innings of MVP, and then fast-forwarding to the next pick. NICE!
Last edited by Dave on Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CincyKid
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by CincyKid »

ouch :lol: oh well had huff going to the lions

heres the rest of my 15 if anyone cares

bills-bunkley
lions-huff of course not now
cards-simms
rams-cutler
browns-ngata
ravens-allen
eagles- justice
broncos-holmes

and for db i see the finns grabbing chad jackson of course leinert throws a wrench in all of this now

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Dolphins will go Defensive Back/Safety in the first round...I hope.

CincyKid
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by CincyKid »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Dolphins will go Defensive Back/Safety in the first round...I hope.
maybe so but i could see them grabbing jackson or maybe manny lawson

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

They need a 3rd WR, so it's a possibility, but that is something they can address later in the draft. The Dolphins problem is that they don't have many picks this year. They may end up trading down to aquire more picks (also to complete the Harrington trade).

CincyKid
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by CincyKid »

right but with them signing cooper,hill,allen and goodman i just didnt see them going db

they need a linebacker/dt more so imho

lawson could be a heck of a pick then again bunkley or ngata could be there due to some of the last few picks that could be right up sabin alley

but if they did go db like you said jason allen is falling nicely for ya

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah LB and DT are needs as well...which is why I see them going defensive on the first pick. The problem with all of those DB's they signed is that none of them are really shut down corners...they are all 2nd and 3rd string type guys. I'm not confident in any of them really...plus they don't have a safety that is gonna scare anyone. They NEED to go defensive...or trade the pick to someone who has a hard on for a guy that is dropping.