2005-2006 College Football Bowl Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

redneck
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

2005-2006 College Football Bowl Discussion

Post by redneck »

Let's get some talk going about these Bowl games!

red

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Don't mean to be rude but how about lets not.

What I mean by that is the only game we should be talking about when it comes to College Football is USC/Texas since it's for the championship. All the rest of the games are meaningless. Who really cares about who's the 20th best team in the country (Las Vegas Bowl), or the 15th best team in the nation (Citrus Bowl). etc....

Once they get a playoff system in college football, talking about the games other than the nat. championship is useless.

redneck
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by redneck »

Boston College is kicking the crap out of Boise State on the Blue Turf late in the 3rd quarter.

Up next is Michigan vs. Nebraska. Michigan should dominate this game I think.

Forget a Playoff system as it ain't gonna happen any time soon. So, I'm enjoying all these Bowl games. You can never get enough football IMO.

red

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Michigan vs Nebraska and we have Sun Belt officials doing the game? These guys seem to be over there heads in the speed of the game and I think it is showing already in the second quarter. I guess there was no other refs available.

BC tried their best to lose that game and probably deserved to lose but they ended up pulling it out at the end.

redneck
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by redneck »

"BC tried their best to lose that game and probably deserved to lose but they ended up pulling it out at the end."

Right. They almost blew it. Pretty exciting there at the end though.

red

JackDiggity
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by JackDiggity »

Zlax the refs missed the fumble call. They didn't even review it. Remember I am very biased. :lol:

14-7 MICHIGAN.
"I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me... All I ask is that you respect me as a human being." Jackie Robinson

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

JackDiggity wrote:Zlax the refs missed the fumble call. They didn't even review it. Remember I am very biased. :lol:

14-7 MICHIGAN.
Yes...The ref on the wrong side of the field called him down on that play 8O

Just seems that the refs are not taking control of the game...Like on that pick Michigan returned for a touchdown it took them some time to blow it dead after he already made it to the endzone.

JackDiggity
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by JackDiggity »

Zlax45 wrote:
JackDiggity wrote:Zlax the refs missed the fumble call. They didn't even review it. Remember I am very biased. :lol:

14-7 MICHIGAN.

Just seems that the refs are not taking control of the game...Like on that pick Michigan returned for a touchdown it took them some time to blow it dead after he already made it to the endzone.
Yeah that was a very slow whistle. Let's hope they get their heads outta their butts and catch up with the action.
"I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me... All I ask is that you respect me as a human being." Jackie Robinson

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

JackDiggity wrote:
Zlax45 wrote:

14-7 MICHIGAN.

Yeah that was a very slow whistle. Let's hope they get their heads outta their butts and catch up with the action.
Come on...Twice Michigan had to use Timeouts to get a replay to be called for...This is crazy...These refs must not know how the system is run then...The Sun Belt does not have a replay system in effect.

ubrakto
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by ubrakto »

Seriously, sour grapes aside, and I've got a ton of 'em right now, how the hell is it not a penalty when half the Nebraska football team is on the field during a live play?

I'm not blaming that on the loss, but god @#%@# dammit am I pissed right now. They took out half the field with that sh@#$ and from all appearances the refs just called it a night and left. What the hell?
---Todd

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

ubrakto wrote:Seriously, sour grapes aside, and I've got a ton of 'em right now, how the hell is it not a penalty when half the Nebraska football team is on the field during a live play?

I'm not blaming that on the loss, but god @#%@# dammit am I pissed right now. They took out half the field with that sh@#$ and from all appearances the refs just called it a night and left. What the hell?
---Todd
As you guys know I am a BC fan so I am unbiased but this game is a travesty for College football tonight. Michigan ended up getting screwed at least 3 times (two instant replays and the final play). Just sad to see a Bowl Game decided like this. :oops:

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

Horrible officiating, not only on the two timeouts Michigan had to waste but also not starting the clock in a timely fashion on 4th down on Nebraskas last possession. That last play was unbelievable, Michigan was one more lateral away from winning the game. How on earth do you not have any penalties on that play though???

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

Michigan players were on the field too, just not as many. It was a good no call. One more pitch and Michigan would have won. When its all said and done, the players still decided the game on the last play. And by not pitching it one more time Michigan decided to let Nebraska have the win.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

bdunn13 wrote:Michigan players were on the field too, just not as many. It was a good no call. One more pitch and Michigan would have won. When its all said and done, the players still decided the game on the last play. And by not pitching it one more time Michigan decided to let Nebraska have the win.
Could have called Offsetting penalties and the game is over too!!!

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

The officiating in the Alamo was atrocious -- for both sides. The last 6 minutes was just painful to watch as the refs made one amazingly bad call (and no call) after another. How that pass to Manningham wasn't PI..good lord. Still, if the Michigan TE pitches to Breaston i think he scores. That's the same dude that didn't go OOB against Ohio State on the final play. Egad. Sorry todd and JD. That's a tough way to lose.
No High Scores:
http://www.nohighscores.com/

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Can't believe the TE didn't pitch it back to #15, he was right behind him. The guy would have scored easily. He had one more guy to beat.

ubrakto
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by ubrakto »

Zlax45 wrote:
bdunn13 wrote:Michigan players were on the field too, just not as many. It was a good no call. One more pitch and Michigan would have won. When its all said and done, the players still decided the game on the last play. And by not pitching it one more time Michigan decided to let Nebraska have the win.
Could have called Offsetting penalties and the game is over too!!!
Exactly. I'm not saying that was the play that killed the game. There were U of M players and personnel on the field too, although not the entire freaking team, like Nebraska, but a penalty is a penalty and to not through a flag for that is just unbelievable to me. If the right call is to flag both teams then do it. But don't just leave the field like your work is done. I mean what if Michigan had scored? If flags were thrown on both teams that would've negated a score and still changed the result of the game. I mean it's now the next morning and I'm even more pissed off right now about that game than I was last night.

And yeah, there were bad calls that hurt both teams. I do think Michigan came out the worse for where on those, especially with regard to being forced into using time outs on replays in the second half. I'm just pissed because it was actually a damn good game that got absolutely shredded by bad officiating. Officials make bad calls. That's just reality. But what we saw last night, from beginning to end, really, was incompetence from the guys in the striped shirts and it just sucks.

Anyway, congrats to the Cornhuskers and their fans. You take away all the BS officiating and it was a good game and Nebraska did a hell of a job coming back to win it. That's now two straight fourth quarter collapses from Michigan so I guess it'll be another year of watching the Llyod Carr vultures circle over head.... joy.
---Todd

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Interesting comments coming out of Boise about a pep rally.

"We go to a banquet that turns into a pep rally; I didn't have to say anything to this team. I ought to thank the mayor and the people of Boise for getting this team ready to play," Boston College coach Tom O'Brien said. "There wasn't anything I had to do to get this team ready."

A number of Boston College players said MPC Computers CEO Mike Atkins made fun of defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka's name during the Monday night banquet.

"As far as motivation goes, if we didn't have it before two days ago, we definitely found it," Kiwanuka said. "I think that had a lot to do with why we came out so strong."

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

That Michigan-Nebraska game was nuts. Very exciting despite atrocious officiating throughout the game -- embarrassing.

While Henne's arm clearly was in motion during the "fumble" and the lack of flag due to players on the field during the last play were big bugaboos, the play that I wish Michigan could have back was the third-and-10 pass on the final drive.

Manningham HAS to make that catch. The ball was in his fingers; he was past the marker for a first down and dropped it. That was just as much of a game-killer as Henne's phantom fumble and the no-call at the end, to me.

Good to see my boy Hart back on the field.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

JackDiggity
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by JackDiggity »

pk500 wrote:That Michigan-Nebraska game was nuts. Very exciting despite atrocious officiating throughout the game -- embarrassing.

While Henne's arm clearly was in motion during the "fumble" and the lack of flag due to players on the field during the last play were big bugaboos, the play that I wish Michigan could have back was the third-and-10 pass on the final drive.

Manningham HAS to make that catch. The ball was in his fingers; he was past the marker for a first down and dropped it. That was just as much of a game-killer as Henne's phantom fumble and the no-call at the end, to me.

Good to see my boy Hart back on the field.

Take care,
PK
It was good to see Hart back. He is just an outstanding pass blocker. He knocks those blitzing LB's stiffer than a wedding dick. Michigan needs to run Hart outside more. Brother gets pounded running up the middle all the time.

The play that pissed me off the most was after the 3rd down drop. Manningham getting held on the 4th down pass at the Cornhuskers goal line. He couldn't bring his left arm up to catch the go ahead TD. How did they miss that? That's was the game. God those refs were in over their head.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I didn't see the game, but I'm really surprised Carr couldn't talk the refs into adding a second to the clock.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

That was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen...if not the worst...
I still enjoyed the game for the excitement if not for the outcome.
Now if it had been for the national title I would have been pretty pissed.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

:roll:

Embarassing.

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

I've never been this furious at the end of a football game in my life. The officials f***in stole the game from Iowa today, that game was even worse than the Nebraska-Michigan game. I'm completely shocked that they f***ed the game up that badly, that was a complete abomination.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

That was a horrible call on the onside kick. The need to stop using small conference officials for bowl games. If they can't keep up with the speed of the game, they should find officials that can.

I am shocked at the Wisconsin - Auburn game. I really thought that Auburn would win easily, last game for Barry or not.