Call Of Duty 2 - PC vs XBox

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Call Of Duty 2 - PC vs XBox

Post by JackB1 »

has anyone tried this game for XBox? (not 360).
I have it for PC, but it keeps freezing on me every 5 minutes
or so, so I was thinking of just getting the XBox version instead.
Has anyone tried it on the XBox and if so, do u think it looks much
worse than the PC version? I know how incredible it looks on the
360, but unfortunately I cannot drop 400 bones for one right now.

Great game, BTW. Really enjoying it.

reeche
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: Call Of Duty 2 - PC vs XBox

Post by reeche »

JackB1 wrote:has anyone tried this game for XBox? (not 360).
I have it for PC, but it keeps freezing on me every 5 minutes
or so, so I was thinking of just getting the XBox version instead.
Has anyone tried it on the XBox and if so, do u think it looks much
worse than the PC version? I know how incredible it looks on the
360, but unfortunately I cannot drop 400 bones for one right now.

Great game, BTW. Really enjoying it.

Haven't played it but I read it's a different game on the old gen systems (The Big Red One) versus the next gen system where the Pc version and the 360 version are the same.
http://www.whas11.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=49293&catId=49
---Lend a ***** a pencil--- Context?

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Yeah Jack, it is actually a TOTALLY different game. The general consensus is that it is not nearly as good as the 360/PC one, but better than the last console COD (Finest Hour) which downright sucked.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

EDiddy
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by EDiddy »

I was wondering the same thing, thanks for the good question Jack.
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I bought a new video card just to play this one on my pc.

Indeed a great game, one of the top games I've ever played on the pc.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

it is indeed a great game on the PC. It's frustrating that it keeps freezing on me every 5 minutes or so. I updated all my video/sound drivers, but to no avail. The game runs/looks fine when it isn't freezing. Any idea on what I can try?

MizzouRah wrote:I bought a new video card just to play this one on my pc.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

JackB1 wrote:it is indeed a great game on the PC. It's frustrating that it keeps freezing on me every 5 minutes or so. I updated all my video/sound drivers, but to no avail. The game runs/looks fine when it isn't freezing. Any idea on what I can try?

What kind of video card do have?

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

It's an NVidia GeForce 4 Ti-4200 128MB, 8X w/ TV out.
Is my card "outdated"?

MizzouRah wrote:
JackB1 wrote:it is indeed a great game on the PC. It's frustrating that it keeps freezing on me every 5 minutes or so. I updated all my video/sound drivers, but to no avail. The game runs/looks fine when it isn't freezing. Any idea on what I can try?

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

JackB1 wrote:It's an NVidia GeForce 4 Ti-4200 128MB, 8X w/ TV out.
Is my card "outdated"?

MizzouRah wrote:

Yes, that's an old card. What does Game advisor say?

http://gameadvisor.futuremark.com/gameadvisor/service/

Search for Call of Duty 2 and then there will be a link to see if that game will run on your PC. This is a good place to start. Even if it says yes, this card is a low end card.

The minimum requirements do mention your card however and the only thing I could dig up on your card and the game is the latest drivers caused lockups for a few folks with the same card. You might want to go back to an older version driver.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

Is my card "outdated"?

Yes. It's 3 generations old. They are up to the 7 series now. You don't have pci express so you probably couldn't even get a 7 series. You might want to look for an AGP version of the 6 series. Not sure what the going rate is for them these days. I'm sure it's not bad. ANY of the 6 series cards (even the cheapest ones) would be much better than what you have now.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

thanks for the advice.
do I need more than 128MB Ram? I see some GeForce 6 AGP cards that still have the same 128MB of RAM.

LAking wrote:
Is my card "outdated"?

Yes. It's 3 generations old. They are up to the 7 series now. You don't have pci express so you probably couldn't even get a 7 series. You might want to look for an AGP version of the 6 series. Not sure what the going rate is for them these days. I'm sure it's not bad. ANY of the 6 series cards (even the cheapest ones) would be much better than what you have now.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

JackB1 wrote:thanks for the advice.
do I need more than 128MB Ram? I see some GeForce 6 AGP cards that still have the same 128MB of RAM.
Yes. Get 256 MB or more if you can afford it.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

where did you read this? do u have a link?
MizzouRah wrote: the only thing I could dig up on your card and the game is the latest drivers caused lockups for a few folks with the same card. You might want to go back to an older version driver.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

well I stopped at Best Buy on the way home and got a GeForce 6600
AGP with 256MB on sale for $150. They also had the 6200 for only $80.

DivotMaker wrote:
JackB1 wrote:thanks for the advice.
Yes. Get 256 MB or more if you can afford it.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Just loaded up fear and it called my Graphics card a medium ,Yikes!! I have a ATI X800 pro or whatever. My cpu is still rated high however AMD fx 64 , damn i forgot all my specs, i used to be so into pc's now i dont give a toss weird.

Fear is real good so far tho.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

JackB1 wrote:where did you read this? do u have a link?
MizzouRah wrote: the only thing I could dig up on your card and the game is the latest drivers caused lockups for a few folks with the same card. You might want to go back to an older version driver.
On one of the COD fan sites.

I have a P4 2ghz, only 512 of ram and just bought a new x800GT card from newegg for $179 with 3 day shipping. I can only run COD on 800x600, but it runs very nice and smooth. Actually I can run it on 1024x768, but at points it studders.

I'm very happy with this card though, it runs Madden maxed out as well as HL 2 on 800x600. I did have an FX 5500 card.

You definitly want a card that has 256mb of memory though.

countzero2k5
Mario Mendoza

Post by countzero2k5 »

I just upgraded a couple months ago. COD2 runs nice on my system. AMD 64 3700+, 1GB RAM, 7800GT 256MB PCI Express.

Only problem is that I upgraded and cannot afford a 360 :(

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

countzero2k5 wrote:I just upgraded a couple months ago. COD2 runs nice on my system. AMD 64 3700+, 1GB RAM, 7800GT 256MB PCI Express.

Only problem is that I upgraded and cannot afford a 360 :(
The 7800GT is one heck of a card.

skinsfan
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

quick question for those who know

Post by skinsfan »

I know zero about PCgaming.Here are my specs:2ghz AMD,512mb memory and an Nvidia GeForce 4 mx graphics card w/64 mb DDR shared memory.
Will this system play most PC games(esp.sports) acceptably?It is an off-the-shelf HP.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: quick question for those who know

Post by MizzouRah »

skinsfan wrote:I know zero about PCgaming.Here are my specs:2ghz AMD,512mb memory and an Nvidia GeForce 4 mx graphics card w/64 mb DDR shared memory.
Will this system play most PC games(esp.sports) acceptably?It is an off-the-shelf HP.
No. I would upgrade your memory to 1GB, and get a new video card. Something along the lines of a 6600GT or x800GT (cards that have 256MB). Make sure you get one that's for an AGP slot as I doubt your pc has PCI Express.

skinsfan
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by skinsfan »

Thanks much.I will look into those upgrades.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Is the 6800GT much better than the regular 6800 that I just bought for $150? I am wondering if I should return it? I havent opened it yet.

MizzouRah wrote: I have a P4 2ghz, only 512 of ram and just bought a new x800GT card from newegg for $179 with 3 day shipping. I can only run COD on 800x600, but it runs very nice and smooth. Actually I can run it on 1024x768, but at points it studders.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

JackB1 wrote:Is the 6800GT much better than the regular 6800 that I just bought for $150? I am wondering if I should return it? I havent opened it yet.

MizzouRah wrote: I have a P4 2ghz, only 512 of ram and just bought a new x800GT card from newegg for $179 with 3 day shipping. I can only run COD on 800x600, but it runs very nice and smooth. Actually I can run it on 1024x768, but at points it studders.
I thought you bought a 6600? :)
The GeForce 6600 series comes in two flavors; the standard GeForce 6600 and then the GeForce 6600 GT. The GeForce 6600 will feature a 300MHz core and a 550MHz DDR memory frequency. It has also been said that the manufacturer can configure the memory as they please for the standard GeForce 6600. The GeForce 6600 GT is more high-end and features a core clock of 500MHz and a memory clock of 1GHz.
The 6600GT is a VERY nice card from what I've read and after doing more research, maybe a card I should have bought vs the x800GT.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

you are right - I got the regular 6600......not the GT.

MizzouRah wrote:
JackB1 wrote:Is the 6800GT much better than the regular 6800 that I just bought for $150? I am wondering if I should return it? I havent opened it yet.

I thought you bought a 6600? :)
The GeForce 6600 series comes in two flavors; the standard GeForce 6600 and then the GeForce 6600 GT. The GeForce 6600 will feature a 300MHz core and a 550MHz DDR memory frequency. It has also been said that the manufacturer can configure the memory as they please for the standard GeForce 6600. The GeForce 6600 GT is more high-end and features a core clock of 500MHz and a memory clock of 1GHz.
The 6600GT is a VERY nice card from what I've read and after doing more research, maybe a card I should have bought vs the x800GT.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

JackB1 wrote:you are right - I got the regular 6600......not the GT.
If your system can handle it, you should consider the 6800GT or X800GT to run the game at acceptable framerates. I prefer ATI's cards because I can see a discernible difference between ATI and nV's cards. They ar both have excellent products, but I am a graphics whore which is why I prefer ATI....