OT: Android Tablet Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Android Tablet Thread

Post by Rodster »

Jack I would get the new 7" Galaxy Tab that db got. It's like $300 and if you want an iPad i'd wait for the iPad 3 which should be released in a few months. What's wrong with the Touchpad? Have you tried loading movies on it?

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Rodster wrote:Jack I would get the new 7" Galaxy Tab that db got. It's like $300 and if you want an iPad i'd wait for the iPad 3 which should be released in a few months. What's wrong with the Touchpad? Have you tried loading movies on it?
Nothings wrong with the TP, except that it's mine! Lol..

This would be my wife's personal tablet. I don't think she wants to spend the $300 for the Galaxy. I think it may actually cost more than that.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Have a look at the Blackberry Playbook. They were being discounted to $199 16GB and $249 32GB at the Blackberry store. They play movies and has a nice web browser. They are also getting a new OS update.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Rodster wrote:Have a look at the Blackberry Playbook. They were being discounted to $199 16GB and $249 32GB at the Blackberry store. They play movies and has a nice web browser. They are also getting a new OS update.
ok I'll check em out. Thanks

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Rodster wrote:Have a look at the Blackberry Playbook. They were being discounted to $199 16GB and $249 32GB at the Blackberry store. They play movies and has a nice web browser. They are also getting a new OS update.
Where do you see the 16g Playbook for $199?
I don't see it that low anywhere???

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Jack they changed their pricing, sorry. They want to dump their 64GB Tablets so they are pricing everything @ $299. That's still a great deal. :)

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Rodster wrote:Jack they changed their pricing, sorry. They want to dump their 64GB Tablets so they are pricing everything @ $299. That's still a great deal. :)
Oh well, thanks for trying to help!

I'll keep looking.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

If it wasn't for my pre-ordered Vita, I would probably have my sight for the 64GB version which they still have for $299 at FS. Good deal.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

10spro wrote:If it wasn't for my pre-ordered Vita, I would probably have my sight for the 64GB version which they still have for $299 at FS. Good deal.
Where or what is FS?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Future Shop in Canada.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Jack,

Refurbished 32GB Touchpad on Woot today for $220.
http://www.woot.com/
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Naples39 wrote:Jack,

Refurbished 32GB Touchpad on Woot today for $220.
http://www.woot.com/
thanks. I saw that and considered it, but she wants something smaller.

I actually picked up a nice 7" tablet by "Nextbook", its Android 2.3 and was only $100
at Big Lots with my 20% discount. I am very surprised at the responsiveness of this tablet
given the price. Nice bright screen and smooth scrolling and good response to finger touch.
it has a slot for a SD card, so it will be perfect for her needs.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Sorry Jack you should have waited. It looks like the end of the line for the Playbook so it's getting the fire sale treatment much like the HP Touchpad.

This is for Canada but one can presume the US will get the same pricing.

16GB $149.99
32GB $199.99
64GB $249.99

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Guys, better $200 buy, Playbook (16gb) or Kindle Fire?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:Guys, better $200 buy, Playbook (16gb) or Kindle Fire?
1) Playbook has better specs but no support like the Touchpad. The OS will get upgraded to 2.0 and after that it's over.

2) Kindle Fire has good support and the Amazon ecosystem

My vote says KF.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Asus announced at CES that they will have 7-inch tablet with Tegra 3, which has 4 CPU cores, for $250, some time this spring.

They also announced they will have a version of their 10-inch Transformer that has 1980x1200 resolution.

Samsung is rumored to be coming out with a Galaxy Tab which will have higher resolution than the rumored iPad 3 with Retina Display.

Not the best time to buy a tablet unless you get a clearance sale one.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I agree there's much better devices coming out. I'd rather put my money on that instead of buying a dead end product.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

wco81 wrote:Asus announced at CES that they will have 7-inch tablet with Tegra 3, which has 4 CPU cores, for $250, some time this spring.

They also announced they will have a version of their 10-inch Transformer that has 1980x1200 resolution.

Samsung is rumored to be coming out with a Galaxy Tab which will have higher resolution than the rumored iPad 3 with Retina Display.

With technology if you just keep waiting for the next big thing you'll always be waiting and never enjoying. IMO it's always a good time to buy technology.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

ScoopBrady wrote:
wco81 wrote:Asus announced at CES that they will have 7-inch tablet with Tegra 3, which has 4 CPU cores, for $250, some time this spring.

With technology if you just keep waiting for the next big thing you'll always be waiting and never enjoying. IMO it's always a good time to buy technology.
In the middle of a products life cycle, yes I have no problems with buying now. But if I want an iPad, I certainly wouldn't buy an iPad 2 knowing that the iPad 3 should hit the streets in a 1-2 months. Where I do agree with you is if a product is introduced that suits one's needs now there's no point in waiting 6 months for the next refresh.

I do agree with wco81, the stuff coming out in the next 1-3 months doesn't justify the purchase of a Playbook unless you can get it at a rock bottom price.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I stumbled on a couple of fun apps via the Amazon marketplace.

1) Flick kick field goal - similar to paper toss except you're kicking field goals in a stadium. Graphics are very good. I got it as part of the Amazon free app a day but it's only .99 cents and well worth it.

2) Parking garage is free for today as part of Amazon free app a day. It's a puzzler and the graphics are really good and it's both challenging and fun. Tons of levels and puzzles with degrees of difficulty. I think there are close to 400 puzzles.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

Don't know what thread to put this in being it could be considered a phone/tablet, depending on how you look at it, but does anyone have any interest in the Samsung Note?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Darkbandit wrote:Don't know what thread to put this in being it could be considered a phone/tablet, depending on how you look at it, but does anyone have any interest in the Samsung Note?
It's badass. If it was quad core and had ics on it I'd be getting it but alas old software and last years hardware. Too little too late really. The new htc one x is where it's at.

4.7 inch...720p screen...quad core 1.5 w 32gb built in and beats audio (who cares really) and ice cream sandwich. Those are specs and software that the note should have.

Also the AT&T variant is vastly inferior to the unlocked version because of the addition of the lte chipset. True, you won't be able to use AT&Ts lte network with the international version but the exynos processor is vastly superior to the snapdragon so the phone will perform much better. So definitely recommend anyone interested in the Note to look into the unlocked version instead.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

Eh, they just said that the One X won't be quad-core for AT&T due to LTE issues.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Darkbandit wrote:Eh, they just said that the One X won't be quad-core for AT&T due to LTE issues.
That's why you buy the international version. Who want to be under contract anyway? HSPA+ is more than fast enough and battery life is significantly better as well. F LTE in a phone. In a tablet, I may change my tune, but in a phone, HSPA+ is more than sufficient.

I'll end up sticking with my unlocked HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus anyway. Can't beat stock Android no matter what.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

Where did you get your Nexus from?