Soccer thread 07/08

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Dave, there is a well done data update for FM at FMformation.net. I'm currently managing Young Boys (Michael Jackson's favorite team) in Switzerland and New Zealand.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Becks should have played less, Lampard had a fine game and yes P. Robinson should take a leave or something, he's struggling.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Fulham sign Keller to keep up their quota of Americans:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 77&cc=5901
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

RobVarak wrote:Fulham sign Keller to keep up their quota of Americans:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 77&cc=5901
I like it. I was wondering where Keller would surface, though admittedly his form the last 12 months has nosedived. How long is Niemi out?

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

fsquid wrote:Dave, there is a well done data update for FM at FMformation.net. I'm currently managing Young Boys (Michael Jackson's favorite team) in Switzerland and New Zealand.
Cheers matey - Man City even get a free Mark Bresciano with this update, probably part of a 'buy-two-and-get-a-third-free' deal.

Elano is top quality, I've got money to burn and the fans only want mid-table...I used to have to use the editor for that :wink:
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Plantini wants to give a spot in the Champions League to domestic cup winners.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/6961888.stm

The English FA backs that, of course, as it would make the value of the FA Cup increase.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Problem is, and Platini should know this but doesn't, because he's a naive moron and hand-picked glove puppet with Blatter's hand up his arse, is that in most countries in Europe, the domestic cup competition is a joke which the major teams try like anything to avoid.

So, you could end up with a scenario where Millwall get to the Final against MU having met no opposition from the top division at all, get thrashed and still get into the CL (because MU would already be in it), over and above a team who finished 4th in their own top division.

Is there any part of that which makes sense ?

The overall motive is obvious - Platini and his evil overlord want to break the power of the G-14. He's already called on them to disband (completely ignored, of course) and now wants to weaken them by stuffing the CL full of pub teams from Moldova...nice one.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Champions League was already dumbed down when non-Champions were admitted.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

FEck it, I hate being a Wednesday fan.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

fsquid wrote:Champions League was already dumbed down when non-Champions were admitted.
You're not wrong - the Spawn of Satan won it in 98/99 despite Arsenal having been champions the previous year.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

davet010 wrote:
fsquid wrote:Champions League was already dumbed down when non-Champions were admitted.
You're not wrong - the Spawn of Satan won it in 98/99 despite Arsenal having been champions the previous year.
I thought we agreed to never talk about "That night in Barcelona" or "That night in Munich". Who is that announcer that always talks about both of those no matter what game he does?

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Anyone know what is going on with Gol TV?

Yesterday they were supposed to show the Madrid derby, and today they were scheduled to show the Barcelona game, but they haven't shown either of them. :?

Apparently there's some crazy TV rights dispute going on in Spain.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Sto ... 51,00.html

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Yeah, I was looking forward to the Real inaugural game. But as I write this they are showing Valencia-Villareal now.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I set my timer for the HD feed of the MAdrid darby and got a match from last year.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

fsquid wrote:I thought we agreed to never talk about "That night in Barcelona" or "That night in Munich". Who is that announcer that always talks about both of those no matter what game he does?
Clive Tyldesley. I once played a drinking game which involved finishing a bottle of beer every time Clive was heard to say any of the following:

- "That night in Barcelona"
- "Manchester United must score. They always score."
- Upon a free kick being awarded - "...Beckham territory?"

At no other time in my life have I taken in so much liquid in 90 minutes.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

10spro wrote:Yeah, I was looking forward to the Real inaugural game. But as I write this they are showing Valencia-Villareal now.
I think during that match I actually heard the Gol TV commentators talking about they weren't able to show the Madrid or Barcelona games. Hopefully the mess in Spain will be fixed by next weekend.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Feanor wrote:
10spro wrote:Yeah, I was looking forward to the Real inaugural game. But as I write this they are showing Valencia-Villareal now.
I think during that match I actually heard the Gol TV commentators talking about they weren't able to show the Madrid or Barcelona games. Hopefully the mess in Spain will be fixed by next weekend.
According to Sky TV, there is a dispute in Spain between 2 networks, with one accusing the other of owing them about €50m. Most of the clubs are linked to one network or the other, so this needs to be ironed out quickly, as I was looking forward to the Madrid derby.

Still, gave me a chance to watch Valencia's astonishing 3-0 home defeat - a performance of spectacular indiscipline with David Villa sent off for diving and Joaquin sent off for dissent after having a laughable dive turned down and giving the linesman an earful.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave:

You've got yourself a hell of a fine young keeper in Kaspar Schmeichel. The apple certainly didn't fall far from the tree there.

The kid damn near scored this weekend, too!

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Good lad, but about 5 years too young for a keeper - I've seen too many of these young keepers get a first team slot too early and crack under the relentless pressure

Richard Wright
Chris Kirkland
Nicky Weaver

I just wish we'd pushed the boat out and splashed £9m on Craig Gordon from Hearts.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Gordon was terrific against Liverpool last weekend. The Reds could have won that match 5-0.

I like how Gordon made himself "big" -- to use a hockey goalie term -- when faced with a challenge against Liverpool. Approached the shooter without charging and falling prey to a feint, and spread his body wide to cut off angles. Very impressive.

With Schmeichel, he does have a pretty good source of counsel from which to draw, so maybe he won't take the route of those other young keepers.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Simo, you venturing to Hillsborough today?

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

I'm at work until 8pm, mate, so I wouldn't get to the ground until sometime a few minutes after the final whistle. I'm afraid I'll have to make do with the radio and see the goals on the telly tomorrow night.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

you can enjoy BBC Radio Sheffield with myself then! Seth Bennett will be your match commentator probably joined by John Pearson. I've probably misspelled both.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Just read that Sevilla wingback Antonio Puerta has died in hospital after suffering a series of heart attacks during the game at the weekend and after he was walked from the field.

Sevilla's CL game has been cancelled and there will be a minute silence before La Liga games this weekend.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 964586.stm

That's grim for someone who was 22 years old.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Yeah, very grim. Have followed that story since the weekend. A real shame, especially considering Puerta was to become a father in two months.

So strange, so sad: How can a guy collapse, with trainers rushing to the field to prevent him from swallowing his tongue, then walk off the field, then collapse again, and relapse to grave condition and then death? All at age 22?

The human body certainly is a mysterious thing.

Take care,
PK