NASCAR 08

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

What about the comments on the suicide AI bump driving? Any truth to that?
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yeah, definitely some truth. I haven't had them wreck me because of it, but at places like Daytona they'll definitely bump you mid-corner.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

They're not going out of their way to knock you out of the race, but there's definitely more contact here than in any other racer out there, except DiRT. But like Terry, I haven't had AI spin me out or anything, just bump. Also, the vibration is a little exaggerated, so it feels that they are really ramming you, when I don't think they are.

I have also seen the AI give up a spot if I'm faster, look for a good line, that sort of thing.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Even if they don't spin you, will the AI's over-aggressiveness beat up your car enough so as to make you run slower?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I haven't had that problem. They'll bump you a bit, and I think teal is spot on that the FF might be exaggerated a bit. If you line yourself up and prepare for impact, so to speak, it's not a problem at all. If you try to slam the door on a car who has a serious run on you, and they end up catching your quarterpanel or something, that could hurt.

No matter how you slice it, it all comes down to racecraft.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

It's good to hear folk such as Terry saying the AI aren't causing a problem with the retail version, since I'm concerned that they're still tearing the back of my car to pieces in the demo.

I had another run at it last night and in one race I got hit hard enough to spin me around while holding an inside groove - I know I didn't pull down on anyone because there was absolutely no space inside me for anyone to drive into. I know how I race, as do a few people in this thread, and my racecraft isn't the issue when something like that happens.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Anyone else playing the PS3 version and using motion controls? I've had hit or miss luck with it so far; though I generally think I prefer it to the analog stick. It takes the flutter out of the control, and approximates a racing wheel. It's no replacement for an actual wheel, since there is no tactile feedback or resistance of any kind. Still, a decent and free compromise.

Tough but so far fun game.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

How's the ps3 online?

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

downloaded the demo and was hooked. at least in the demo you go in and race. graphics aren't really that big of a jump, but game reminds me of nascar05 which I really enjoyed playing.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

The only one I ever see playing this online is Teal?
Is everyone just stuck on NCAA now? I was hoping we would
get a big Poker Night/Nascar crowd going. I should get my
gamefly copy any day now.

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

I was on for a while last night Jack. I was mostly doing the chase challenges (they are kind of fun, for me... the wreck one was aggravating though.) I did get a request for a XBL game from "Ragehawk" (is that anyone here?) but had to take a phone call at that time so couldn't do it.

I like the game. The control is a bit fidgety with the controller but I'm getting better at keeping a line in a pack.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

James_E wrote:I did get a request for a XBL game from "Ragehawk" (is that anyone here?) but had to take a phone call at that time so couldn't do it.
That's me. I was testing it out with wpw at the time. I am really liking the fact that the handling model is firmly between a PGR2 style game and a true sim. At Atlanta you were better off just keeping your foot slammed to the floor and cranking the wheel (until the tires practically tore off the rims), and that had me a bit worried that maybe it was a bit too over the top easy. I couldn't figure out why the AI would get into a corner SO much faster than me, almost everywhere. So I fired up New Hampshire and it definitely wasn't a "keep your foot on the floor everywhere" style of racing. Took a lot of control there, so I'm still happy. Atlanta really is a track where you can push it, so it was probably a silly reason to get nervous.

But I see the 1up review of a 6.5, the IGN of a 5.0...everybody is bitching about the lack of Team Control, Rivalries, and Career. I don't give a sh*t about the first two, but a career would have been nice. But reviews like that make this sound like complete dogsh*t. I'm still waiting to find the pile.
Last edited by TCrouch on Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

I played it for at least 2 hours last night after I finished my NCAA league game and did my write up. Last night was the first night I have been home from the firehouse since the game come out also.

I think things will get going and we will be rubbin and racing soon enough
XBL: Nozzleman 216
PSN: Nozzleman_216

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

yikes, IGN putting the wood to it (5.0):

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/808/808550p1.html
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

greggsand wrote:yikes, IGN putting the wood to it (5.0):

Wow...a 500 word review. Gotta love IGN.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

greggsand wrote:yikes, IGN putting the wood to it (5.0):

It's reviews like that are the reason EA Sports so often gives us a game with lousy underlying mechanics, yet has good graphics and all kinds of stupid features. Something like total team control struck me as really stupid, yet IGN complains when it's removed.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Rented it today and geez the controls are terrible with the controller. Why can't we have a game where you can't drive from the inside line to the wall at a 45 degree and angle and back in again in the matter of seconds.

The whole controller is going to be twitchy because it's hard to hold the stick slightly left for an enitre turn. But it shouldn't be so twitchy that you drive zip zags.

I've tried Rodster settings and they barely help me.

I can see where a wheel will be the best but why is it so hard to make a NASCAR game drivable with a controller?

Anyway, the physic models aren't that great. A slight tap, or what appears to be a slight tap on the back of the car results in the CPU getting its frontend in its lap. Maybe there's a disconnect with the how hard the car really got hit and how it felt?

I wonder on hard how the drafting is because on veteran I was yo-yo'ing with another car at Daytona. I would get behind him and slingshot past him, then he'd get such a good draft and he'd go by me and so on.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Drafting is overpowered, but on Hard I don't just blast right by them without a little effort.

I've also bump drafted down the backstraight pretty successfully, and been pushed by the AI as well, so I don't know what to say on the slightest tap thing. I do know that the force feedback is exaggerated, making the tiniest hit feel like a huge jolt but it doesn't affect the car at all.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

JRod wrote:

I've tried Rodster settings and they barely help me.
JRod have you tried increasing downforce in the setup? I have gotten use to the controller with those settings I mentioned. Adding a little downforce helps me a lot and I have even tried it on "hardcore" and I can still control the car. The one thing I like about this game is that it forces me to concentrate at all times.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

TCrouch wrote:
James_E wrote:I did get a request for a XBL game from "Ragehawk" (is that anyone here?) but had to take a phone call at that time so couldn't do it.
That's me. I was testing it out with wpw at the time. I am really liking the fact that the handling model is firmly between a PGR2 style game and a true sim. At Atlanta you were better off just keeping your foot slammed to the floor and cranking the wheel (until the tires practically tore off the rims), and that had me a bit worried that maybe it was a bit too over the top easy. I couldn't figure out why the AI would get into a corner SO much faster than me, almost everywhere. So I fired up New Hampshire and it definitely wasn't a "keep your foot on the floor everywhere" style of racing. Took a lot of control there, so I'm still happy. Atlanta really is a track where you can push it, so it was probably a silly reason to get nervous.

But I see the 1up review of a 6.5, the IGN of a 5.0...everybody is bitching about the lack of Team Control, Rivalries, and Career. I don't give a sh*t about the first two, but a career would have been nice. But reviews like that make this sound like complete dogsh*t. I'm still waiting to find the pile.
I wondered who the hell ragehawk was lol

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

Well I got my wheel today and messing around with it for a few minutes before I went to work today I was having fun with it just racing around and seeing how I could hold my line by myself. After I came home from work I got online and did a race and I was actually more competitive than I had ever been with the joystick.

If anyone wants to race, send me a request and I'll be glad to hop on.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I cannot keep this damn car straight...so damn difficult on anything other than "easy" mode...at least with a controller.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I put the game on easy becuase the car was zig-zagging like crazy.

Problem for me is all bumping all the time. The CPU will race clean and seem to be on rails but because the control is so bad you are bouncing all over the place and usually into a few cars.

I don't know you guys without the wheel are enjoying this game?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I'm actually enjoying the game with the controller. I found the sweet spot with the controller settings. I even bumped it to hardcore and it handled pretty good. I'm not saying using the controller is easy but it's doable and it takes focus and concentration on my part.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I'm having a blast with it with the wheel. My lap times are right around the normal times I turn in NR2003 and I've raced wheel to wheel with the AI plenty in most of the Chase crap.