Microsoft Unveils "Surface" Tablets

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Microsoft Unveils "Surface" Tablets

Post by Rodster »

The other disappointing thing about the Surface is all the usable storage taken by the OS and recovery partition out of the box which requires you to buy an SD card. I also agree that they should include a keyboard. I messed with a Pro @ Best Buy and I thought it was pretty slick. Price holds it back from general acceptance.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:The other disappointing thing about the Surface is all the usable storage taken by the OS and recovery partition out of the box which requires you to buy an SD card. I also agree that they should include a keyboard. I messed with a Pro @ Best Buy and I thought it was pretty slick. Price holds it back from general acceptance.
Yeah, if their goal was to have it compete with ultrabooks, then 64/128 is a joke. Should have been 128/256 like most ultrabooks spec out.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I actually snagged a 128 GB Surface Pro on Saturday. I was at my brother's place and checked Best Buy's website and the one right down the road from my brother's place had a few. They were the only Best Buy remotely close that had any. I bought it online and picked it up on the way home. The fact that its a fully functioning Windows 8 PC and a tablet is what drew me in. I plan on using it like a laptop for the most part but the tablet mobility of it will definitely come into play in my classroom. I can easily take it from home to school...vice versa. My desktop pc at home is getting long in the tooth. I don't game on the PC anymore so I'm not losing anything with the Surface. The Surface will now streamline my home experience. I'll let it in my office most of the time but the convenience of taking the tablet anywhere in the house or to school is gratifying. I also plan on grabbing the display adapter to hook it up to my monitor in the office.

As far as impressions - I'm really impressed with the hardware. It feels well made. Slick and powerful. The display is beautiful. I catch myself forgetting that its a full PC :). When you go into desktop mode its a full pc experience. Its impressive and very quick. As far as Windows 8 - I'm a fan of the OS. I have a 1 TB external hard drive that I can use with it so that helps tremendously with storage. I am currently copying the Windows 8 recovery files to a USB. I'll then delete those files off of the Surface hard drive to free up space. The digitizer/stylus is pretty cool. It's very responsive. The functionality kind of surprised me.

I'm very pleased with the experience so far. I agree with DB that its a bit expensive. If a keyboard would have come with it I wouldn't look at the price as a downer. Pfft, my tax return was a lot more than I was expecting so I'm over it. Being a tech geek is fun yet painful sometimes.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

FYI, backing up and deleting the recovery files got me an additional 8 gb of storage on the Surface hard drive.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

And of course, all of my "HP Touchpad 2" predictions have come to fruition. The Surface is a HUGE flop. 900 million down the drain in ONE quarter for Microsoft. Dropping prices, underperforming, etc. Can't say I didn't see that coming. Not sure why they continue to bother with any Windows based products outside of "real" laptops/desktops at this point. The phones don't sell (tho the 1020 looks sick only because of the camera), the tablets don't sell and even the PCs aren't selling. MS is relying completely on corporations to keep them afloat it seems.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/18/45359 ... surface-rt

The Surface Pro I got for work was used for about a week...now it sits on my desk hooked up to the charger just waiting for someone to come use it. No takers so far.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Never mind.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Teal wrote:Because some people actually like their products. I swear, unless it's an Android circle-jerk, you apparently think it should just all go away. Geez. About the only thing I've seen wrong with the products is the lack of any really good advertising. Just like with the One, the only thing they really ever messed up on was the message.
My MacBook and iPad Mini seem to disagree with my Android Only Circle jerk participation. Clearly very few like Windows Phone/Surface like you do...or else they wouldn't be bleeding money. It doesn't need to go away...I like the competition, tho it's not really much of one at this point, 2 years into it.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:The Surface Pro I got for work was used for about a week...now it sits on my desk hooked up to the charger just waiting for someone to come use it. No takers so far.
I'll take that piece of sh*t off your hands. :)

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Rodster wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:The Surface Pro I got for work was used for about a week...now it sits on my desk hooked up to the charger just waiting for someone to come use it. No takers so far.
I'll take that piece of sh*t off your hands. :)

Hell, I will, too. You can keep the iSame Mini...lol
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Well that didn't sound like fanboyism at all..

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

They have no choice but to try to get into mobile, because PC sales have been dropping for 5 quarters now. Part of that may be the economy which is soft in many regions of the world and part of that may be that many people chose to buy tablets instead of another PC -- or some people just live on their phones.

They just priced Surface too high, same price as iPads, after other tablets which priced the same as iPad failed, and then over $100 for those keyboard covers.

Surface Pro is priced like a premium laptop, which is fine but those don't move in high volumes like the $500 and $600 laptops. Plus, the kickstand holds up the screen at only one angle and for heavy typing, most laptop keyboards are better than those keyboard covers.

They're going to iterate with Haswell no doubt, get a big boost in battery life. They're also probably going to look at smaller tablets, since there are some good products in that category -- second version of Nexus 7 is expected to be announced next week.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

dbdynsty25 wrote:And of course, all of my "HP Touchpad 2" predictions have come to fruition. The Surface is a HUGE flop. 900 million down the drain in ONE quarter for Microsoft. Dropping prices, underperforming, etc. Can't say I didn't see that coming. Not sure why they continue to bother with any Windows based products outside of "real" laptops/desktops at this point. The phones don't sell (tho the 1020 looks sick only because of the camera), the tablets don't sell and even the PCs aren't selling. MS is relying completely on corporations to keep them afloat it seems.

The Surface Pro I got for work was used for about a week...now it sits on my desk hooked up to the charger just waiting for someone to come use it. No takers so far.
I'll send you shipping costs.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

dbdynsty25 wrote:And of course, all of my "HP Touchpad 2" predictions have come to fruition. The Surface is a HUGE flop. 900 million down the drain in ONE quarter for Microsoft. Dropping prices, underperforming, etc. Can't say I didn't see that coming. Not sure why they continue to bother with any Windows based products outside of "real" laptops/desktops at this point. The phones don't sell (tho the 1020 looks sick only because of the camera), the tablets don't sell and even the PCs aren't selling. MS is relying completely on corporations to keep them afloat it seems.

I'll send you shipping costs.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I am thinking about an HP Stream 11 for my wife.. she uses MS office and surfs the internet.. that's it. For $200 seems perfect for her.

The thing is.. the Lenovo Yoga 2 10.1 has much better resolution and a touch screen and is only $100 more, plus a camera and like an 18 hour battery life.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

The Surface Pro 3's are sweet. A buddy of mine snagged one and its a well made machine. The screen is much bigger than the original Surface. I am considering 'downsizing' from my current desktop in the spring to clear out some clutter in my office (big desk/small room, etc.). I might pull the trigger on one of these. With my educational discount I can get a good deal.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Yes they are but for $800.. too much for me. :)

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Surface may get an upgrade shortly after the new year, when the Broadwell chips are suppose to be available.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Today is the only day to go for Xmas shopping for the family for me, as I gotta bunch of travels coming up and walking by the MS store I ran into this 'deal of the day' that they are running for a week. Tomorrow for example they are having a special deal on one of their Surface tablets. But this is what I just got for my wifey. Since she never leaves my Mac Pro in the state that she found it with, she'll be getting an Asus Windows powered flip laptop. Deal? I got it for $300, not sure about the quality of it, I know windows 8 was not well received but people in the line up were all saying that it was a great deal. So I went for it. Hope she likes it.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msc ... .307914900

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

10spro wrote:Today is the only day to go for Xmas shopping for the family for me, as I gotta bunch of travels coming up and walking by the MS store I ran into this 'deal of the day' that they are running for a week. Tomorrow for example they are having a special deal on one of their Surface tablets. But this is what I just got for my wifey. Since she never leaves my Mac Pro in the state that she found it with, she'll be getting an Asus Windows powered flip laptop. Deal? I got it for $300, not sure about the quality of it, I know windows 8 was not well received but people in the line up were all saying that it was a great deal. So I went for it. Hope she likes it.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msc ... .307914900
Looks nice..

I bought the Lenovo Yoga 2 tablet and a 32 GB mini SD card as well as a micro USB OTG cable so she can use the wireless mouse my daughter got her. I hope she likes it.. we had fun with the display model at Best Buy. Good deal I think for $299 and the 32 GB SD card was only $17.