NBA Live 10 Demo (360)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah, that's one of my gripes too Dan...the animation that has every guy running down the lane and jumping into the defender and throwing the ball up. It seems like they did this to make a few more missed shots seem logical. It's really tough to do the step back jumpers when you're driving like that...you almost have to hit down on the right analog stick to stop the driving animation and then hit the shot button.

I guess these are the downsides to only have ONE shot button. LOL...I really did hate having to separate buttons. That was lame.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I wasn't a fan of the two button shot selection either, as I would always hit the "dunk" button when I was on the perimeter, or vice versa. This one button method would work perfectly if it let you quickly get out of the drive animation, but it doesn't. Maybe it's the momentum. Whatever the case may be, that's the one gripe I have with an otherwise pretty enjoyable game. Unfortunately, it detracts from it.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

So are both you guys reversing course on Live 10?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:So are both you guys reversing course on Live 10?
Not yet. Both games are fantastic. Not sure which I'm going to keep yet. It's a pain in my ass deciding, that's for sure.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Not yet. Both games are fantastic. Not sure which I'm going to keep yet. It's a pain in my ass deciding, that's for sure.
Starting to sound more like 2K to me. :)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Could be. :) I really need to decide soon though cuz it's driving me nuts trying to come up with an answer!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote: Not yet. Both games are fantastic. Not sure which I'm going to keep yet. It's a pain in my ass deciding, that's for sure.
Could be. :) I really need to decide soon though cuz it's driving me nuts trying to come up with an answer!
Accepting the inevitable is always the hardest part young Luke.

Sincerely

Obi-Wan :D

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

I dunno. Having a great time with Live. Part of it I'm sure is the newnesss of it. I like the fact that the game kind of forces you to not just jam it in the paint everytime and expect success. It seems to reward thinking and team basketball. I haven't been getting that same feeling from 2K in recent years.

Maybe the greatest thing about the game is it's balance. I'm playing on All-Star, it's rewarding, very challenging, everything seems good stat- wise, and I haven't TOUCHED a slider. That is a revelation in and of itself.

What are you guys seeing wih 2K10?

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Anyone know if there were any major changes made to this year's Live vs last year's? Did they keep that Live DNA thing again? I really had fun with last year's live, so if this year's if equal or better, than I'm in for another season!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JackB1 wrote:Anyone know if there were any major changes made to this year's Live vs last year's? Did they keep that Live DNA thing again? I really had fun with last year's live, so if this year's if equal or better, than I'm in for another season!
Last years Live was a piece of crap...this one is very good, so it's WAAAAY better than last year. And yes, NBA DNA is back. The fact that I haven't played three games and then put it up on eBay is very telling to me. :)

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I haven't totally given up on it either. It's not even basketball season yet so part of my lack of excitement for the game may be due to that.

It's a busy time of year with the baseball playoffs, hockey starting (NHL 10 is great), Madden is better than I expected, etc. Plus, it seems like just about every year, there's a new way to play NBA Live. So, it does take some getting used to.

I am looking forward to downloading the 2K10 demo this evening when it finally hits the Playstation Store and comparing the two.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
JackB1 wrote:Anyone know if there were any major changes made to this year's Live vs last year's? Did they keep that Live DNA thing again? I really had fun with last year's live, so if this year's if equal or better, than I'm in for another season!
Last years Live was a piece of crap...this one is very good, so it's WAAAAY better than last year. And yes, NBA DNA is back. The fact that I haven't played three games and then put it up on eBay is very telling to me. :)
I disagree that last year's game was a piece of crap. Prior to last year, it ws a piece of steaming, smelly crap, but last year's game was NOT crap!
That said, I am ecstatic to hear that this year's game is ever better. I can't wait to take my virtual ATL Hawks to another virtual postseason :)

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

AJColossal wrote:I dunno. Having a great time with Live. Part of it I'm sure is the newnesss of it. I like the fact that the game kind of forces you to not just jam it in the paint everytime and expect success.
Yeah, I love this part of the game. The risk-reward in the paint seems spot on. On the risk side you can have the ball stripped, committ an offensive foul, have your team set an illegal screen, have the feed to the post man denied/picked, miss/have a shot blocked, be double teamed, etc. I haven't played 2K10, but for the past few years the major risk to going in the paint were annoying unrealistic missed layups/dunks.

I'm also getting great games and stats with no slider adjustments besides upping the fouls. I'm playing 12 minute quarters too!

After a couple nights I really have no issues. I wish I could say I've turned a new leaf and stopped complaining so much because I'm more mature and have lowered my standards in the interest of fun, but really for much of the past year all the games I've purchased have ranged from very good to great. I'm getting fun and realism now which is what I was hoping for all along. I'm in gaming heaven in every sport.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Leebo33 wrote:I wish I could say I've turned a new leaf and stopped complaining so much because I'm more mature and have lowered my standards in the interest of fun, but really for much of the past year all the games I've purchased have ranged from very good to great. I'm getting fun and realism now which is what I was hoping for all along. I'm in gaming heaven in every sport.
I'm with ya man. Madden, NHL 10/2k10, NBA Live 10/2k10, Show 09...all phenomenal games. The only mediocre game was really MLB 2k9 as far as the major sports go.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Another pet peeve of mine are the lack of fast breaks. The really are pretty much non-existent. Sure teams such as the Suns run but it's always 3 on 3, 4 on 4, etc. Of the fast breaks I do have, I have to force myself to the basket. I very rarely ever have a clear path on a fast break.

Enough of the complaining. I will tell you what I do love. Without a doubt, the DNA specific ratings for each player. If you aren't familiar with your team, it's easy enough to hit the pause button, go in to the DNA, and see which player is most successful at which shot. Knowing who shoots a better percentage from a particular area on the floor provides a nice added strategy to the game. I don't have an association to one particular team, so I've been choosing teams at random. I'm amazed at the amount of data for each player.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Well...Live won the showdown. Ultimately both games are REALLY good. I just realized that when I was playing 2K, I was just waiting for the game to be over so I could put Live back in. So I guess that tells me all I need to know.

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

I have to say I'm very happy I went with Live - while playing the game I'm just loving it. However, Dynasty mode is still a steaming pile, especially when you compare it to 2K. But on the flipside, if Dynamic Season works as advertised I won't care.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Leebo33 wrote:I wish I could say I've turned a new leaf and stopped complaining so much because I'm more mature and have lowered my standards in the interest of fun, but really for much of the past year all the games I've purchased have ranged from very good to great. I'm getting fun and realism now which is what I was hoping for all along. I'm in gaming heaven in every sport.
I'm with ya man. Madden, NHL 10/2k10, NBA Live 10/2k10, Show 09...all phenomenal games. The only mediocre game was really MLB 2k9 as far as the major sports go.
Absolutely agree. I own Madden, NHL10/2k10 and the Show and they are all stellar this year. I plan on getting NBA 2K10 on the PC cause it's $17.99 on Amazon and Live 10 for the 360. Looking forward to FIFA 10 as well. :)

I also want to say I agree with Leebo as well. The last 2-3 years i've been approaching sports video games from the fun factor angle and treating them less of a sports sim. That's jacked up the fun time i've had with them and when I see something quirky I just move on and accept it as just a glitch. ;)

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

I sit with both games unopened on my desk...endlessly reading impressions/gripes/etc.

Im hopeless.

tony

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Well...Live won the showdown. Ultimately both games are REALLY good. I just realized that when I was playing 2K, I was just waiting for the game to be over so I could put Live back in. So I guess that tells me all I need to know.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yup...hell froze over. I'm just bored of 2K I guess. I popped 2k9 in for the hell of it and save for a few animations, it's the same game. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but I played 200+ games of 2k9...I don't particularly want to do it again...and pay 60 more dollars for the privilege.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

I'll be picking up Live this weekend.

I would love to play some online games with those of you with the PS3 version.

Man, it's been a while that I've done that.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

JackB1 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
I disagree that last year's game was a piece of crap. Prior to last year, it ws a piece of steaming, smelly crap, but last year's game was NOT crap!
That said, I am ecstatic to hear that this year's game is ever better. I can't wait to take my virtual ATL Hawks to another virtual postseason :)
I agree with Jack. I thought last year's Live was the best in quite a while...definitely the best on next gen systems. I had some fun with it despite knowing that 2k9 was still a better basketball game.

Now this year I feel like they took a step back. I didn't enjoy the demo at all. The game just didn't feel as fun as it did last year.

That being said, it's funny that people complain that 2k10 is the same game as 9 or 8 for that matter. I certainly would expect things to stay mostly the same when you build a great basketball game. Making changes is what screwed Madden up and it took them the better part of 4 years to get it back to an acceptable game.

With a game as good as the 2k series, you don't make any drastic overhauls... you make subtle tweaks and add features as they become feasible. I think the 2k series has done that.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I don't think people were complaining that 2k10 felt the same, I know I wasn't.

My point is that after playing 200 plus games of 2k9, I didn't want to do it again this year, even though it probably is, fundamentally, a better hoops game. Live made enough progress this year that it's completely playable and enjoyable (it wasn't last year). So if I have a choice...(which before this year I didn't), I'm going to go with the new "fresh" game. Live 10 is that game.

And the full game is better than the demo. Hell, read my first impressions of the demo in this thread...they were terrible. After playing more and more, it really began to click. It really is similar to 2k in a lot of ways...maybe that's why you didn't like it (you DID like last years, which definitely was not 2k-ish).