Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Post by DivotMaker »

Leadfoot5 wrote:
Just wanted to followup that LG released a FW update for this set that has reduced the gaming input lag. Gaming now feels as responsive as it does on my Samsung LCD's.
Great to hear.....now if they could release a FW update that included a 50% rebate voucher, I'm in!

Samsung is claiming to have closed the gap on LG's OLED panels with their 2017 lineup.....we'll see shortly I am sure.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Of course Samsung is going to claim that.

At CES, Sony announced OLED TVs are coming later this year. They will be using LG panels.

Samsung is left out in the cold. Unless there's some breakthrough with manufacturing process for the type of OLEDs that is different than LGs OLED, they're out in the cold.

There are indications that OLED dominated sales of TVs over $3000 and that's likely to expand to TVs over $2000 in the next couple of years.

Fox is going to use a lot of 4K and even 8k cameras at the Super Bowl. Of course, they only broadcast in 720p. Maybe they'll gradually upgrade cameras and other tv production equipment to be capable of broadcasting in 4K.

This year the ATSC 3.0 standard for broadcasting in 4K should be finalized. Samsung or LG or both are going to sell TVs in Korea with ATSC 3.0 tuners this year because they will be hosting the Winter Olympics in that country early next year.

In the US, the 4K situation is less clear. The standard will be ready but there's no mandate to migrate to it as there was for HDTV (ATSC 1.0). So consumers have to elect to buy ATSC 3.0 TVs and broadcasters have to choose to broadcast in 4K.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

wco81 wrote:Of course Samsung is going to claim that.

At CES, Sony announced OLED TVs are coming later this year. They will be using LG panels.

Samsung is left out in the cold. Unless there's some breakthrough with manufacturing process for the type of OLEDs that is different than LGs OLED, they're out in the cold.

There are indications that OLED dominated sales of TVs over $3000 and that's likely to expand to TVs over $2000 in the next couple of years.

Fox is going to use a lot of 4K and even 8k cameras at the Super Bowl. Of course, they only broadcast in 720p. Maybe they'll gradually upgrade cameras and other tv production equipment to be capable of broadcasting in 4K.

This year the ATSC 3.0 standard for broadcasting in 4K should be finalized. Samsung or LG or both are going to sell TVs in Korea with ATSC 3.0 tuners this year because they will be hosting the Winter Olympics in that country early next year.

In the US, the 4K situation is less clear. The standard will be ready but there's no mandate to migrate to it as there was for HDTV (ATSC 1.0). So consumers have to elect to buy ATSC 3.0 TVs and broadcasters have to choose to broadcast in 4K.

Samsung may be that, but the LG OLED screens are not worth double the price of the current Samsung screens, IMO. I have been back to Best Buy a number of times since I bought my Samsung and the one near me actually has a 65" LG OLED next to the 65" Samsung 8000 model I bought and while I can tell a slight difference, there is no way the OLED is worth double to me. By the time I am ready to purchase another set, OLED's will likely be half the price or lower than they are today and/or a new screen technology will be out

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Are you Samsung KS8000 owners still happy with your TVs? Any back panel separation or other issuses?
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

vader29 wrote:Are you Samsung KS8000 owners still happy with your TVs? Any back panel separation or other issuses?
Every time we have guests coming, the first thing that they mention is the TV. A wow factor. No issues, go for it. We have the 65' screen.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Absolutely still pleased. 2 separate people who have come to the house and viewed it ended up buying one shortly thereafter. Another 8 or 9 would if they could, I think.

I do have ONE oddity that I am not sure what it is. But periodically I'll get a "color shift" for a second or so that almost looks like that "chromatic aberration' effect that developers love lately. Like the RGB values get off-kilter, and then it fixes itself. I wasn't sure if it was just the console or the TV, but it's likely due to that little switchbox thing they use.

But overall, it's a split-second oddity over hours and hours of use, and I would purchase it again in a heartbeat.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

10spro wrote:
vader29 wrote:Are you Samsung KS8000 owners still happy with your TVs? Any back panel separation or other issuses?
Every time we have guests coming, the first thing that they mention is the TV. A wow factor. No issues, go for it. We have the 65' screen.
Ditto to everything above....

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Thanks guys, tomorrow is the last day Best Buy has the 65" on sale for their Super Bowl week sale, same price as Black Friday was at 1499 so I'm gonna check it out and see if I can convince myself to pick it up or not.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Love my 65" KS8000. No issues what-so-ever
GT = Wilk5280

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Hey - haven't posted for a while. I'm one of those guys who sometimes goes through an existential crisis, where I ask myself "do I need this gaming system?" and "would sleep and exercise benefit me more in the end?".

Well now I'm back in the gaming world - and for good reason...2017 is looking to be very very good.

Anyways, I picked up a PS4 Pro and LG B6 OLED.

Can't recommend this tv enough. I have it in the basement, and the blacks are black. I mean pitch black. Really creates a nice contrast. Response time seems fine to me (apparently they've patched it). A few sales exist on this tv now, so I'd say it's definitely worth a look (along with the KS8000 of course).

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

fanatic wrote:Hey - haven't posted for a while. I'm one of those guys who sometimes goes through an existential crisis, where I ask myself "do I need this gaming system?" and "would sleep and exercise benefit me more in the end?".

Well now I'm back in the gaming world - and for good reason...2017 is looking to be very very good.

Anyways, I picked up a PS4 Pro and LG B6 OLED.

Can't recommend this tv enough. I have it in the basement, and the blacks are black. I mean pitch black. Really creates a nice contrast. Response time seems fine to me (apparently they've patched it). A few sales exist on this tv now, so I'd say it's definitely worth a look (along with the KS8000 of course).
Wow, nice purchase. It was my original choice if it wasn't for the alleged lag issues with gaming, but apparently it's been improved since. Along the PS4 Pro, that's quite an entrance to get back into gaming...

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Yeah, that was high on my list, too. I'm curious to hear about any issues with image retention. It doesn't seem like it is super bad, it supposedly clears up within minutes. But if I pay that much of a premium I can't have my wife irritated. She's not going to be into getting a 4K TV that much as it is. Springing for an a set that is $1,000 more because I assure her it has deep blacks won't passify her if she sees remnants of a game I was playing when she takes over the TV.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

How bad could the IR be? I have a 2009 Panny plasma for gaming and have never had any issues, just the usual temporary IR that would go away quickly (usually EA logos from sports games). I was reading about the OLED issues but would be surprised if they were more vulnerable than plasmas, which by the end of the cycle were really robust in terms of IR.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

No signs of any image retention on the LG OLED thankfully!

I'd agree that it's probably not something that should effect someone's decision to buy OLED. Same with the response time.

The price is a different issue - I was lucky to find some obscure store in a nearby mall (seemed legit I swear) that was selling all types of tvs about $1000 less than Best Buy. I think the 55" sets (which I got) are close enough in price to the Sammy's, which justified the cost for me. The 65" however has more of a price gap and might not be justifiable (to the wife).

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

In case anybody runs into the same crap I had, there's this: My XBox One S would display in HDR on my KS800D (basically the Costco model instead of KS8000, same panel and TV). I bought the PS4 Pro, and that...wouldn't.

Read all over about how the firmware broke it, and then here I was 3 months later and still no update. I was using the HDMI cable that came with the PS4 Pro, and tried another HDMI cable (2 of them, actually) to test, and then plugged the XBox One S into the same port (thinking maybe it was a port thing).

I eventually gave up and decided to come back around to it. The only combination I HADN'T tried was my HDMI cable from the XBox One S to the PS4. Did that...magic. Why the HELL the pack in cable with the PS4 Pro didn't work, or the Xbox-labeled one did, I have no idea. But if your KS8000/KS800D gives you fits in HDR mode on anything...check the cables. Save yourself a lot of headaches. And I thought I did, but I didn't try a verified WORKING one first, leading to a lot of bullsh*t I shouldn't have had to do in the first place.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Yeah the HDMI Forum made a mess of the standards.

HDMI 2.0a has higher bandwidth to support things like HDR but needs special cables which can carry higher bandwidth.

They also announced an HDMI 2.1 spec at CES this year which will bring a lot of new capabilities but you will again need new HDMI cables capable of the bandwidth requirements of HDMI 2.1.

Basically, to carry more bandwidth, they could use more pins but that would mean they'd have to change the connector. If they do that, they lose the compatibility advantage they have with that plug, even though compatibility is messed up by different speed cables which are not labeled to indicate whether they support higher bandwidth versions of HDMI.

It seems they don't want to risk a competing standard like Display Port gaining market share so they did what they could to maintain the same plug.

But I think there is suppose to be some kind of certification labeling in the higher bandwidth cables. That will probably mean premium prices though, to get a certified cable over a non-certified one made by some Chinese brand and sold on Amazon or eBay.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Right--and I read about most of that initially. But who would have thought that the cable that CAME with the PS4 Pro could be faulty or not up to snuff? Certainly I didn't, but I thought I excluded that possibility with another test of a different cable. Yet most of my cables are ordered from Amazon, with varying degrees of success, so I guess I should have tried the known good one long before now.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Well there might also be handshake issues too, which may not be about the speed-rating of the cable.

Are you hooking up directly to the TV or through a receiver? Does the receiver have HDMI 2.0a ports?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

The KS800D (and KS8000) don't even have ports, just one "One Connect" that then has HDMI inputs there, and plugs into a single port on the TV (there are not individual HDMI ports that I have found, unless they're hidden under a super-secret panel). That was the original thought, that the HDCP handshake was busted by firmware. But through the same connection on the a different port on the same One Connect box, the XBox worked fine.

And then a different cable to the same port did the trick, so I don't think it's a direct error between the PS4 and the One Connect and the TV as much as it is the cable's inability to handshake. But that's getting past my expertise, I'm just using grunt-level software tech support deductive reasoning. As long as it works now, I can just grab cables until I find 2 that work so I don't have to keep cable shifting!

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Terry, your post is timely, thanks. I just got a PS4 Pro and am having the same problem. Looking forward to trying my XBOX One S cable to see if that does the trick.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Without knowing that this would be an issue, I never used the default XBS cable nor the PS4 one. I had a couple of HDMI ones that I had from Costco with 4K support and they did the trick. Twenty bucks for both.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Which calibration settings are you guys using with your KS8000 series sets? Just picked up the 65" from Costco yesterday and am not blown away by regular programming. Games and movies look amazing, and love the low input lag.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

I am using recommendations from here:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsun ... 0/settings

Tweaked to our tastes. Wish I could be more specific as I am typing this roughly 7000 miles from my 65".....(West Africa again).

Hope this helps.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

DivotMaker wrote:I am using recommendations from here:

Tweaked to our tastes. Wish I could be more specific as I am typing this roughly 7000 miles from my 65".....(West Africa again).

Hope this helps.
Thanks. Yeah, I referenced their settings as well. I found the picture to be a little too dim in "movie" mode so I changed it to "natural" which brightens it up a bit. I still find regular programming to bit a little less clear than I'd like. It might be due to the size of the tv compared to a 55" Vizio I'm used to. I am very impressed with gaming and movies.

One other issue I've been having is that the source will switch unexpectedly to HDMI 3. I can change it back easily but it is rather annoying. From what I read, I think it has do with the One Connect. Hope there is an easy fix as I would rather not box it up and return it.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

sportdan30 wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:I am using recommendations from here:

Hope this helps.
Thanks. Yeah, I referenced their settings as well. I found the picture to be a little too dim in "movie" mode so I changed it to "natural" which brightens it up a bit. I still find regular programming to bit a little less clear than I'd like. It might be due to the size of the tv compared to a 55" Vizio I'm used to. I am very impressed with gaming and movies.

One other issue I've been having is that the source will switch unexpectedly to HDMI 3. I can change it back easily but it is rather annoying. From what I read, I think it has do with the One Connect. Hope there is an easy fix as I would rather not box it up and return it.
I went from a 42" 1080p TV, so the 4K 65" Samsung looks phenomenal to me in comparison. I also think you may consider that 10s mentioned that the Sammy's should not be calibrated until after about 200 hours to let them break in. I had already calibrated mine, and I have well over 300 hours with mine and it looks great.

As far as switching HDMI, I find that every once in a while I will accidentally trigger my BR player or Apple TV and once they are activated, they can bring that source up unintentionally. I just use my Logitech Harmony remote to get me back where I need to be at the press of a button.

I am waiting for Mileage Plus from United to send me my new Denon receiver (AVR-S920W) so I can do 4K pass through and get better sound than I am currently with my old Denon 1912.....ordered the unit on Feb 25th with some miles and cash and it is still sitting there "pending". Called and the damn unit is back ordered, won't be in stock until April 4th then it will ship supposedly. They asked me if I wanted to cancel order, wait two weeks for miles to show back up in United account and refund the cash and I told them hell, what's the difference? That is one service that demonstrates there is no service. At the end of the day, I am getting the $600 receiver for 33K miles and $200 so I guess I'll be happy when it finally gets here....